Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    So, how can you make people hate immigrants even more?  You tell the public that you have to make budget cuts to pay for the influx of migrants coming to your city/state.

It's good that Mayor Adams announced this as to hold the US govt accountable but, it's doing nothing to help the plight of the people whom aren't happy they are here in the first place.

Amazingly enough the migrants on the scooters all have cell phones.  I find this interesting too.
    When I taught in LA when the iPhone was new. Most of the teachers had flip phones and most of the kids got the newest iPhone.
    Our school was at 98% for reduced/free lunch. Can’t afford food, but got the newest phone and $200 shoes. 
    Ok let me tell you what happens when they go home.  They don’t eat.  It’s happening right now to the players my husband is coaching.  There’s nothing in the house.  Yes they have cell phones and nice shoes but no food.  Pretty messed up way to live/grow up don’t you think?  
    Blame the parents, not the child. 
    I wasn’t blaming the child. And I understand the home life many of them go home to. I was just commenting on a similar situation tempo described. Parents who wouldn’t provide for their kids somehow still affording $800 phone for every kid and the newest shoes every month. I find it ironic to live that lifestyle and claim to be unable to feed the family. But I don’t blame the kids at all.
    I know you don’t.  I was just commenting to you for the same reason you commented to tempo, lol.  We could go round and round for days, weeks, months but the bottom line is every president who didn’t fix this issue is to blame. They've been ignoring it for decades.  I believe in legal immigration.  How we get there and stay there is anyones guess.   
    I agree with every part of this. 
  • Options
    So, how can you make people hate immigrants even more?  You tell the public that you have to make budget cuts to pay for the influx of migrants coming to your city/state.

It's good that Mayor Adams announced this as to hold the US govt accountable but, it's doing nothing to help the plight of the people whom aren't happy they are here in the first place.

Amazingly enough the migrants on the scooters all have cell phones.  I find this interesting too.
    And where exactly can they find a pay phone?  Nowadays cellphones are necessities, not luxuries.  You’re pissed at the immigrants who were sent there by POS republicans.  god, do we really believe people want to walk and walk and walk, etc. with children and the little belongings they have if not for freedom from fear?  What reason other than freedom would you walk for?  Food and shelter for your family?  Yes we all would.  Put yourself in their shoes, their mindset.  We are clueless.  

How many of us spent thousands to see Pearl Jam the last couple weeks.  Please don’t be mad about a scooter and phone.  
    I'm not mad "yet" that they are here.  I'm also not mad about the scooters and phones.  I made a statement that it is amazing that they acquired these things already.  If you've read anything I've written I'm upset that we are setting them up for failure.

I wish NPR would do a story on them next like the Ecuadorian women that sell candy in the subways.

Basically I am reporting on what is happening here and what I see with my own two eyes.

This is mad?  It's good that Mayor Adams announced this as to hold the US govt accountable but, it's doing nothing to help the plight of the people whom aren't happy they are here in the first place.
    Again, your own bolded statement is off-base. Democrat Mayor Adams and his administration proposed increasing minimum wage for those food delivery workers you're so curious about. Who's fighting it? The tech industry. But the mayor paid for and received a comprehensive study of how to make their lives better, instead of setting them up for failure as you stated. But I know, bothsidesism, nobody's doing nothing. Its all the same.

I'll also fathom that there isn't a secondary market in NYC for e-bikes or cell phones and that all of those delivery workers are "fresh off the boat" and purchased brandy new e-bikes and cell phones with taxpayer dollars. They couldn't possibly be working a second job to supplement their other work, say in construction or restaurants, right? Nah, lazy fucks want to work two, not just one, of the most dangerous jobs in NYC for the hell of it, right? 

Here's Mayor Adams' report:

A Minimum Pay Rate for App-Based Restaurant Delivery Workers in NYC | November 2022

Here's an article that summarizes it:

NYC App-Based Restaurant Delivery Workers Receive a Minimum Pay Rate (nycfoodpolicy.org)

And another full report (scroll down the article to see the report):

Report: New York's Essential Delivery Workers are Underpaid, Underappreciated, Victimized - Streetsblog New York City
    OK my bolded statement isn't off base. He literally said in an interview that NYC will be making budget cuts because the US govt has not pitched in and that the city will have to pay for the migrants.  Said it on TV.  In him doing so, saying this, it has done nothing to help these people whom got shipped here with the US govt.  I'm trying to figure out what's off base still?

So, the second paragraph just gets ridiculous.  I love how you call be lazy fucks.  No one uses that language but you, lol.  

The bikes stay on the street around 4-5PM and don't move until morning but I know you'd know that because you live here or read it somewhere...
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    There’s no immigration problem. NYC is doing just fine. Nothing to see here. 15% budget to agencies across the board? Ppfffffttt. No biggie. 

Maybe one day Mayor Adams will try something other than begging the federal government for help. It’s getting old. Also pretty funny how quickly hypocrites change their tune about this issue when a migrant shelter is planned right near them. You have to hear some of these people. Hilarious. 

These migrants are coming here with a false sense of hope. I feel terrible for them because no amount of scooters or phones are gonna help them. This city is ruthless and unaffordable to people who have waaaay more at their fingertips than these poor people. I don’t know how this is helping anyone involved. There has to be a better way
    “A team of CNN journalists made the nearly 70-mile journey by foot in February, interviewing migrants, guides, locals and officials about why so many are taking the risk, braving unforgiving terrain, extortion and violence.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/15/americas/darien-gap-migrants-colombia-panama-whole-story-cmd-intl/index.html

I worked with immigration parents and children for 11 years. They want to be here.  They want to work, feed their families, have homes, access to medical care.  Don’t think for one second they didn’t walk across countries because they don’t want to be here.  It’s a piss poor excuse to just wash away the truth.  

We don’t really own the land, the country, the air. The lack of empathy and entitlement around here shouldn’t surprise me but it does.  

Who sent those immigrants to NY?  Blame them.  
    Again I see you are taking your own liberties at what people say...

Yes they want to be here but NOT HERE.  They didn't plan on coming to NY.  Nobody thinks they walked here or paid a coyote for no reason... They wanted to get over the border.  Having come here like Nick said is not doing them any favors, I have said this too.  

If they want to live 10 people to a room and that's ok with them, fine.  I've seen migrants do that for years.  It used to be to send money back home but now it's the drug and war torn countries that want to be here.

We have extended family in Peru.  One in a wheelchair was robbed of his ipad.  Who does that?  Yeah, i'd want out too.  We as a country need to handle the whole influx situation better.  Just letting people in and figuring it out later is not the way to go about it.
    The bolded part of your statement is a mis-characterization. Again, I’ll ask, where and what is the repub plan for addressing the immigration “crisis?” The repubs control the house and thus the purse strings. The Brandon Crime Family submitted a budget with specific funding requests. Where is the repub counter proposal or solution? Or even a debate for the American people to see where the parties stand? What’s Kevy or Maggie Three Names doing about it? Oh yea, authorizing an impeachment inquiry and threatening to shut down the gubmint at the end of the month.
    Whataboutisms all over.  I don't see anyone doing dick about it at all.  I do see NY scrambling to make room for people.  Why?  It's written into law that we do so.

The dems when they had control did nothing. We know the repubs will do nothing.  It's one big circle...
    But it’s not. That’s where you’re wrong. The Brandon crime family has concrete proposals, policies and funding requests for same. Your bothsidesism is what the repubs want you to believe and it appears they’ve been successful.

Did you ever think to go ask those food delivery folks how long they’ve been in NYC and how is it they’re able to afford a cell phone and a scooter or e-bike, seeing how you’re so interested?

Are you pissed at Abbott & Costello and Deathsantis for “doing nothing” or bussing them to NYC? If not, why not?
    We can go back and forth all day on this.  I know the repubs do nothing, that is not without question.  The dems giving a dtailed proposal now when they don't have power anymore is playing politics.  "look at what we are trying to do but we can't get it voted in"  Has been happening for years and you still buy into they are trying to do something.  When they had the power they should have rammed as much as they could when they could.  That's the only way Obamacare got passed.

I'll do so next time.  I'll ask a few of them and do interviews as I am quite curious.  

Who's not pissed?!?  When they sent people to Marthas vineyard I thought that was absurd.

I don't know why you ask obvious questions to answers you already know and how I get sucked up into answering them...
    Based on your posts, I have no idea what the fuck you think, particularly since your thoughts are based upon assumptions, often times incorrect.
    I assume nothing, if anything you assume what I think because of the questions you ask.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

When I taught in LA when the iPhone was new. Most of the teachers had flip phones and most of the kids got the newest iPhone.
    Our school was at 98% for reduced/free lunch. Can’t afford food, but got the newest phone and $200 shoes. 
    Ok let me tell you what happens when they go home.  They don’t eat.  It’s happening right now to the players my husband is coaching.  There’s nothing in the house.  Yes they have cell phones and nice shoes but no food.  Pretty messed up way to live/grow up don’t you think?  
    This is why schools have breakfast and lunches for free in the city. This may be their only meals.  Schools don't like to close down either in knowing this.

They have extended it into summer too.

It's a good program.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

This is why schools have breakfast and lunches for free in the city. This may be their only meals.  Schools don't like to close down either in knowing this.

They have extended it into summer too.

It's a good program.
    It’s a great program.  Just look what some districts did during the height of virtual learning, still delivering lunch and breakfast.  The most important part of a child’s day is food (well love too).   Without it they’re just taking up space in school.  Unfortunately I’m an expert in this unbelievable part of America.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    There’s no immigration problem. NYC is doing just fine. Nothing to see here. 15% budget to agencies across the board? Ppfffffttt. No biggie. 

Maybe one day Mayor Adams will try something other than begging the federal government for help. It’s getting old. Also pretty funny how quickly hypocrites change their tune about this issue when a migrant shelter is planned right near them. You have to hear some of these people. Hilarious. 

These migrants are coming here with a false sense of hope. I feel terrible for them because no amount of scooters or phones are gonna help them. This city is ruthless and unaffordable to people who have waaaay more at their fingertips than these poor people. I don’t know how this is helping anyone involved. There has to be a better way
    “A team of CNN journalists made the nearly 70-mile journey by foot in February, interviewing migrants, guides, locals and officials about why so many are taking the risk, braving unforgiving terrain, extortion and violence.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/15/americas/darien-gap-migrants-colombia-panama-whole-story-cmd-intl/index.html

I worked with immigration parents and children for 11 years. They want to be here.  They want to work, feed their families, have homes, access to medical care.  Don’t think for one second they didn’t walk across countries because they don’t want to be here.  It’s a piss poor excuse to just wash away the truth.  

We don’t really own the land, the country, the air. The lack of empathy and entitlement around here shouldn’t surprise me but it does.  

Yes they want to be here but NOT HERE.  They didn't plan on coming to NY.  Nobody thinks they walked here or paid a coyote for no reason... They wanted to get over the border.  Having come here like Nick said is not doing them any favors, I have said this too.  

If they want to live 10 people to a room and that's ok with them, fine.  I've seen migrants do that for years.  It used to be to send money back home but now it's the drug and war torn countries that want to be here.

We have extended family in Peru.  One in a wheelchair was robbed of his ipad.  Who does that?  Yeah, i'd want out too.  We as a country need to handle the whole influx situation better.  Just letting people in and figuring it out later is not the way to go about it.
    The bolded part of your statement is a mis-characterization. Again, I’ll ask, where and what is the repub plan for addressing the immigration “crisis?” The repubs control the house and thus the purse strings. The Brandon Crime Family submitted a budget with specific funding requests. Where is the repub counter proposal or solution? Or even a debate for the American people to see where the parties stand? What’s Kevy or Maggie Three Names doing about it? Oh yea, authorizing an impeachment inquiry and threatening to shut down the gubmint at the end of the month.
    Whataboutisms all over.  I don't see anyone doing dick about it at all.  I do see NY scrambling to make room for people.  Why?  It's written into law that we do so.

The dems when they had control did nothing. We know the repubs will do nothing.  It's one big circle...
    But it’s not. That’s where you’re wrong. The Brandon crime family has concrete proposals, policies and funding requests for same. Your bothsidesism is what the repubs want you to believe and it appears they’ve been successful.

Did you ever think to go ask those food delivery folks how long they’ve been in NYC and how is it they’re able to afford a cell phone and a scooter or e-bike, seeing how you’re so interested?

Are you pissed at Abbott & Costello and Deathsantis for “doing nothing” or bussing them to NYC? If not, why not?
    We can go back and forth all day on this.  I know the repubs do nothing, that is not without question.  The dems giving a dtailed proposal now when they don't have power anymore is playing politics.  "look at what we are trying to do but we can't get it voted in"  Has been happening for years and you still buy into they are trying to do something.  When they had the power they should have rammed as much as they could when they could.  That's the only way Obamacare got passed.

I'll do so next time.  I'll ask a few of them and do interviews as I am quite curious.  

Who's not pissed?!?  When they sent people to Marthas vineyard I thought that was absurd.

I don't know why you ask obvious questions to answers you already know and how I get sucked up into answering them...
    Based on your posts, I have no idea what the fuck you think, particularly since your thoughts are based upon assumptions, often times incorrect.
    I assume nothing, if anything you assume what I think because of the questions you ask.
    You “assumed” that all workers on a construction site are semi-skilled or skilled, then made it about union and non-union. You also “assume” that the immigrants you see in NYC don’t want to be there, that “nobody” is helping them out and that they’re being set up to fail. I guess you’ve interviewed these folks seeing how you walk around construction sites and drive around NYC everyday and don’t assume anything, it’s all “fact?” Do I have that right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited September 2023
    nicknyr15 said:

You “assumed” that all workers on a construction site are semi-skilled or skilled, then made it about union and non-union. You also “assume” that the immigrants you see in NYC don’t want to be there, that “nobody” is helping them out and that they’re being set up to fail. I guess you’ve interviewed these folks seeing how you walk around construction sites and drive around NYC everyday and don’t assume anything, it’s all “fact?” Do I have that right?
    There is a lot of skilled non union labor out there...some maybe even better than the union folks.  I've never correlated skilled labor/unskilled labor as union non union before. Or are you trying to make a different point?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

There is a lot of skilled non union labor out there...some maybe even better than the union folks.  I've never correlated skilled labor/unskilled labor as union non union before. Or are you trying to make a different point?
    Tempo assumed all labor on construction sites in nyc is semi or skilled. I disagreed so he said it was either non union or union. Contractors in either category don’t pay semi or skilled prevailing wages for the labor that hauls materials or demo debris. And, you’d be hard pressed to find native born folks to do that work. It’s typically unskilled and entry level work to prove yourself and show you know your way around a job site and are worthy of a contractor taking you in an apprenticeship type program. 

Immigrants, legal or otherwise have to start somewhere and they typically start in jobs Muricans don’t want or won’t do. Farming and slaughter houses come to mind.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
    https://apnews.com/article/immigration-daca-dreamers-51ba8c941993ffa26e1251aef84b0284   Federal judge again declares that DACA is illegal with issue likely to be decided by Supreme Court

Federal judge again declares that DACA is illegal with issue likely to be decided by Supreme Court
    By JUAN A. LOZANO
    Yesterday

HOUSTON (AP) — While a federal judge on Wednesday declared illegal a revised version of a federal policy that prevents the deportation of hundreds of thousands of immigrants brought to the U.S. as children, he declined to order an immediate end to the program and the protections it offers to recipients.

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen agreed with Texas and eight other states suing to stop the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program. The judge’s ruling was ultimately expected to be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, sending the program’s fate before the high court for a third time.

“While sympathetic to the predicament of DACA recipients and their families, this Court has expressed its concerns about the legality of the program for some time,” Hanen wrote in his 40-page ruling. “The solution for these deficiencies lies with the legislature, not the executive or judicial branches. Congress, for any number of reasons, has decided not to pass DACA-like legislation ... The Executive Branch cannot usurp the power bestowed on Congress by the Constitution — even to fill a void.”

Hanen’s order extended the current injunction that had been in place against DACA, which barred the government from approving any new applications, but left the program intact for existing recipients during the ongoing legal review.

Hanen also declined a request by the states to order the program's end within two years. Hanen said his order does not require the federal government to take any actions against DACA recipients, who are known as “Dreamers.”

Thomas Saenz, president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, or MALDEF, which is representing DACA recipients in the lawsuit, said it will ultimately be up to higher courts, including the Supreme Court, to rule on DACA's legality and whether Texas proved it had been harmed by the program.

“Judge Hanen has consistently erred in resolving both of these issues, and today’s ruling is more of the same flawed analysis. We look forward to continuing to defend the lawful and much-needed DACA program on review in higher courts,” Saenz said.

The Biden administration criticized the judge's ruling.

"We are deeply disappointed in today’s DACA ruling from the District Court in Southern Texas," press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said in a statement Wednesday night. “... As we have long maintained, we disagree with the District Court’s conclusion that DACA is unlawful, and will continue to defend this critical policy from legal challenges. While we do so, consistent with the court’s order, DHS will continue to process renewals for current DACA recipients and DHS (the Department of Homeland Security) may continue to accept DACA applications.”

The Texas Attorney General's Office, which represented the states in the lawsuit, and the U.S. Department of Justice, which represented the federal government, didn't immediately return emails or calls seeking comment.

The states have argued the Obama administration didn’t have the authority to first create the program in 2012 because it circumvented Congress.

In 2021, Hanen had declared the program illegal, ruling it had not been subject to public notice and comment periods required under the federal Administrative Procedures Act.

The Biden administration tried to satisfy Hanen’s concerns with a new version of DACA that took effect in October 2022 and was subject to public comments as part of a formal rule-making process.

But Hanen, who was appointed by then-President George W. Bush in 2002, ruled the updated version of DACA was still illegal as the Biden administration's new version was essentially the same as the old version, started under the Obama administration. Hanen had previously said DACA was unconstitutional.

Hanen also had previously ruled the states had standing to file their lawsuit because they had been harmed by the program.

The states have claimed they incur hundreds of millions of dollars in health care, education and other costs when immigrants are allowed to remain in the country illegally. The states that sued are Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, West Virginia, Kansas and Mississippi.

Those defending the program — the federal government, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the state of New Jersey — had argued the states failed to present evidence that any of the costs they allege they have incurred have been tied to DACA recipients. They also argued Congress has given the Department of Homeland Security the legal authority to set immigration enforcement policies.

There were 578,680 people enrolled in DACA at the end of March, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The program has faced a roller coaster of court challenges over the years.

In 2016, the Supreme Court deadlocked 4-4 over an expanded DACA and a version of the program for parents of DACA recipients. In 2020, the high court ruled 5-4 that the Trump administration improperly ended DACA, allowing it to stay in place.

In 2022, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans upheld Hanen’s earlier ruling declaring DACA illegal, but sent the case back to him to review changes made to the program by the Biden administration.

President Joe Biden and advocacy groups have called on Congress to pass permanent protections for “ dreamers.” Congress has failed multiple times to pass proposals called the DREAM Act to protect DACA recipients.

“We continue to urge Congress and President Biden to create permanent solutions for all immigrants to ensure none are left in the perilous road DACA has been on for the past decade,” Veronica Garcia, an attorney with the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, an advocacy organization, said in a statement.

___

Follow Juan A. Lozano on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Tempo assumed all labor on construction sites in nyc is semi or skilled. I disagreed so he said it was either non union or union. Contractors in either category don’t pay semi or skilled prevailing wages for the labor that hauls materials or demo debris. And, you’d be hard pressed to find native born folks to do that work. It’s typically unskilled and entry level work to prove yourself and show you know your way around a job site and are worthy of a contractor taking you in an apprenticeship type program. 

Immigrants, legal or otherwise have to start somewhere and they typically start in jobs Muricans don’t want or won’t do. Farming and slaughter houses come to mind.
    Not what I said at all...

I said exploitable labor is also becoming semi-skilled and skilled, NOT just unskilled or unwanted jobs.  I was agreeing with you on a point u missed as usual.

They didn't want to be here was from the articles of migrants being put on a bus against their will and sent here.  They were literally articles posted on these threads!  Not assuming.

The Nobody wants to help was actually referring to the US govt.  Mayor Adams has said as much and so has our Governor so no, not assuming that either.

You aren't in NY construction or any construction for that manner so I'll explain a few things clearer.

On union sites you are allowed 1 truck from out of state to come "haul debris".  Those trucks require a CDL.  A CDL is skilled labor.  The other trucks that come in are Teamsters, those are Union, also skilled workers.  They pay union rates.  The out of state truck?  Not sure but he needs a CDL to get in that truck.

The people on the union sites that are laborer's that pick up the trash are union.  If they weren't they would be thrown off the job unless there is a PLA.  A laborer gets paid a good wage to push a broom and sweep up trash on a site like that.

A shop/business might be able to get you in the door for an apprenticeship but it isn't guaranteed. 

The scaffolding company that was non-union all immigrant was an example I was trying making that the work for semi-skilled and skilled was becoming exploitable.  Wanting to take you to Queensbridge where they are rebuilding the projects is where the more shady things I've seen go down.  It's like a Home Depot there.  This was a point I actually agreed with you on but your contrarian self just wants to see it another way...

It's funny that a person that lives and does this for a living and tries to give a big picture gets scrutinized because I didn't give you interviews?  Experience goes along with talking to people.  I will talk to the scooter people though when I have a chance.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I said exploitable labor is also becoming semi-skilled and skilled, NOT just unskilled or unwanted jobs.  I was agreeing with you on a point u missed as usual.

They didn't want to be here was from the articles of migrants being put on a bus against their will and sent here.  They were literally articles posted on these threads!  Not assuming.

The Nobody wants to help was actually referring to the US govt.  Mayor Adams has said as much and so has our Governor so no, not assuming that either.

You aren't in NY construction or any construction for that manner so I'll explain a few things clearer.

On union sites you are allowed 1 truck from out of state to come "haul debris".  Those trucks require a CDL.  A CDL is skilled labor.  The other trucks that come in are Teamsters, those are Union, also skilled workers.  They pay union rates.  The out of state truck?  Not sure but he needs a CDL to get in that truck.

The people on the union sites that are laborer's that pick up the trash are union.  If they weren't they would be thrown off the job unless there is a PLA.  A laborer gets paid a good wage to push a broom and sweep up trash on a site like that.

A shop/business might be able to get you in the door for an apprenticeship but it isn't guaranteed. 

The scaffolding company that was non-union all immigrant was an example I was trying making that the work for semi-skilled and skilled was becoming exploitable.  Wanting to take you to Queensbridge where they are rebuilding the projects is where the more shady things I've seen go down.  It's like a Home Depot there.  This was a point I actually agreed with you on but your contrarian self just wants to see it another way...

It's funny that a person that lives and does this for a living and tries to give a big picture gets scrutinized because I didn't give you interviews?  Experience goes along with talking to people.  I will talk to the scooter people though when I have a chance.
    Maybe had you explained it this way the first time and not mix up your terminology? I’m supposed to “assume” that when you reference semi and skilled it equates to “exploitable?” Or that union versus nonunion equates to skilled? The guy pushing a broom or hauling materials and debris isn’t a licensed trade, skilled, or even an apprentice, semi-skilled, right? Nobody said anything about “good” wages in the construction industry other than I’ll bet you don’t see a lot of native born pushing those brooms and hauling debris, despite “good” wages, because it’s union, not skilled.

Im not being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, I’m disagreeing with your assumptions based on how YOU express them, as usual. And you have no clue what my experience is in and around the construction industry. None. Another assumption on your part. Just think, you could have driven to the show last night and taken some unhappy migrants with you? There’s still time for Austin.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Nobody’s doing nothing to help? Did you assume to say “nobody’s doing nothing to help” when you really meant, “the gubmint isn’t doing enough to help,” or “the gubmint needs to do more to help?”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/20/omnibus-spending-bill-migrants-00074785

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/08/21/dhs-announces-distribution-more-77-million-congressional-funding-communities

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    ume what I think because of the questions you ask.

Maybe had you explained it this way the first time and not mix up your terminology? I’m supposed to “assume” that when you reference semi and skilled it equates to “exploitable?” Or that union versus nonunion equates to skilled? The guy pushing a broom or hauling materials and debris isn’t a licensed trade, skilled, or even an apprentice, semi-skilled, right? Nobody said anything about “good” wages in the construction industry other than I’ll bet you don’t see a lot of native born pushing those brooms and hauling debris, despite “good” wages, because it’s union, not skilled.

Im not being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, I’m disagreeing with your assumptions based on how YOU express them, as usual. And you have no clue what my experience is in and around the construction industry. None. Another assumption on your part. Just think, you could have driven to the show last night and taken some unhappy migrants with you? There’s still time for Austin.
    Again.  On a union site the guy hauling the debris and pushing a broom IS A LICENSED TRADE.  They are native born, foreign and other...
    If it's on a prevailing wage job that broom pusher isn't in a trade but he is making a hell of a wage.

On other sites, sure those guys are most likely low man on the totem pole and sometimes not.  I once hired a good worker to clean up because he was good at it and an asset to the work environment.

The sum of what I say should hold some weight but you'll pick apart little bits that you misread and totally contrarian.  I got sucked into it again...  We both believe in labor is being exploited but you found a grand way to disagree...

You don't talk like you are around them much, I'll say that.
  • Options
    Nobody’s doing nothing to help? Did you assume to say “nobody’s doing nothing to help” when you really meant, “the gubmint isn’t doing enough to help,” or “the gubmint needs to do more to help?”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/20/omnibus-spending-bill-migrants-00074785

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/08/21/dhs-announces-distribution-more-77-million-congressional-funding-communities

This is good because and because you are inept at reading what i write... The governor of NY wasn't helping out with funds and Mayor of NY said they will be budget cuts to offset the costs.  

Now they can change their tunes.  

I did say the government wasn't doing enough to help but you missed that too.  I'm exhausted from you.  I'm taking a break.
  • Options

This is good because and because you are inept at reading what i write... The governor of NY wasn't helping out with funds and Mayor of NY said they will be budget cuts to offset the costs.  

Now they can change their tunes.  

I did say the government wasn't doing enough to help but you missed that too.  I'm exhausted from you.  I'm taking a break.
    All from your posts. I disagree with your assumptions. Get some beauty rest.

Whataboutisms all over.  I don't see anyone doing dick about it at all. 

The dems when they had control did nothing.

The dems giving a dtailed proposal now when they don't have power anymore is playing politics.  "look at what we are trying to do but we can't get it voted in"

OK my bolded statement isn't off base. He literally said in an interview that NYC will be making budget cuts because the US govt has not pitched in and that the city will have to pay for the migrants.  Said it on TV.  In him doing so, saying this, it has done nothing to help these people whom got shipped here with the US govt.  I'm trying to figure out what's off base still?

The Nobody wants to help was actually referring to the US govt.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    1-When you have more space being occupied and no permanent housing for the people coming in, that to me is doing nothing. 

2- Assuming that when Dems had power they did nothing...2013 — With President Barack Obama in the White House, a bipartisan group of senators, nicknamed the Gang of 8, negotiated an immigration reform bill that was approved in the Senate. The bill included a path to legal status and eventual citizenship, and it established “goals,” such as putting up 700 miles of border fencing and getting an employment verification system up and running before people who were in the country illegally could apply for legalization. It also would have added as many as 40,000 Border Patrol agents. A less celebrated bipartisan group of eight members was working on a bill in the House, but it disintegrated without having introduced a bill. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, announced that there would be no movement on immigration. 

3- Assuming the Dems had a detailed proposal.  Dignity Act.  If it gets passed I'll say I was wrong but it's going on like 3 years now.  

4-Assuming that Mayor adams said he would have to make budget cuts...
    https://subscriber.politicopro.com/article/2023/09/nyc-eric-adams-migrant-crisis-00114879  

5- With Mayor Adams saying the above, assuming it does no favors to the migrants,  I started my statement with how this would make more NYers at odds with the migrants if it effected certain budget cuts, assuming of course.

6-If government really gave a shit they would have this fixed.  It's not an assumption either. See below.

Heres a new article.  Migrants are now requesting to come here from Texas.  
    https://www.nytimes.com/article/nyc-migrant-crisis-explained.html
  • Options
    1-When you have more space being occupied and no permanent housing for the people coming in, that to me is doing nothing. 

2- Assuming that when Dems had power they did nothing...2013 — With President Barack Obama in the White House, a bipartisan group of senators, nicknamed the Gang of 8, negotiated an immigration reform bill that was approved in the Senate. The bill included a path to legal status and eventual citizenship, and it established “goals,” such as putting up 700 miles of border fencing and getting an employment verification system up and running before people who were in the country illegally could apply for legalization. It also would have added as many as 40,000 Border Patrol agents. A less celebrated bipartisan group of eight members was working on a bill in the House, but it disintegrated without having introduced a bill. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, announced that there would be no movement on immigration. 

3- Assuming the Dems had a detailed proposal.  Dignity Act.  If it gets passed I'll say I was wrong but it's going on like 3 years now.  

https://subscriber.politicopro.com/article/2023/09/nyc-eric-adams-migrant-crisis-00114879  

5- With Mayor Adams saying the above, assuming it does no favors to the migrants,  I started my statement with how this would make more NYers at odds with the migrants if it effected certain budget cuts, assuming of course.

6-If government really gave a shit they would have this fixed.  It's not an assumption either. See below.

All a far cry from “nobody did nothing.” And despite dems trying to do the most, including Obama with DACA, they’ve been singled out by you as “having done nothing “ and, was it, “not giving a shit.”

And you didn’t mention what Governor Houchle, as a dem, has done to deal with migrants, including setting up a way for employers to find labourers through job/skill matching in all parts of the state, not just NYC. Guess that’s “doing nothing” and “not giving a shit” too?

Which is it? They don’t want to be here or they do want to be in NY? Can’t keep up with your assumptions.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

All a far cry from “nobody did nothing.” And despite dems trying to do the most, including Obama with DACA, they’ve been singled out by you as “having done nothing “ and, was it, “not giving a shit.”

And you didn’t mention what Governor Houchle, as a dem, has done to deal with migrants, including setting up a way for employers to find labourers through job/skill matching in all parts of the state, not just NYC. Guess that’s “doing nothing” and “not giving a shit” too?

Which is it? They don’t want to be here or they do want to be in NY? Can’t keep up with your assumptions.
    I'm glad you feel that enough is being done for them, bless you heart.

So I show you that I assume nothing with where I get information with articles and it's just not good enough.  Can't say, ok I see that or take the high road?  Wow...
  • Options
    Good article out yesterday in the Times.  Give it a read or don't.
  • Options

So I show you that I assume nothing with where I get information with articles and it's just not good enough.  Can't say, ok I see that or take the high road?  Wow...
    Please explain the difference between "not doing enough" and "doing nothing." I'll wait. My assumption has never been "that enough is being done for them," unlike your false assumption that "nothing was being done for them." See the difference? Yet? Your links basically reinforce what I've been assuming, that thigs have been done, mostly by dems, for them. You make it sound like they're just dropped off and "nothing happens" after that.

I'm paywalled out of the NYT. Please summarize or copy/post.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Please explain the difference between "not doing enough" and "doing nothing." I'll wait. My assumption has never been "that enough is being done for them," unlike your false assumption that "nothing was being done for them." See the difference? Yet? Your links basically reinforce what I've been assuming, that thigs have been done, mostly by dems, for them. You make it sound like they're just dropped off and "nothing happens" after that.

gift article

• Options

It’s hard to admit you’re wrong, I see that now. Deflect.Go you!
  • Options

It’s hard to admit that your posts are full of assumptions with little basis in reality. I’m not surprised, actually. There’s a huge difference between “nothing” and “not enough.” Maybe Mayor Eric could send them back to Tejas?

Have a restful weekend.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

It’s hard to admit that your posts are full of assumptions with little basis in reality. I’m not surprised, actually. There’s a huge difference between “nothing” and “not enough.” Maybe Mayor Eric could send them back to Tejas?

Have a restful weekend.
    You need to not take what I say so literally and admit when you're wrong, as hard as it is for you to do. I showed where I got my statements from with articles that have the quotes...

You watch the fooseball right?  You watch Mac n Cheese at QB, right?  Let's say he plays the whole game and throws 2 interceptions and fumbles twice san the Pats lose the game.  He, Mac n Cheese, would have done "dick" or "nothing", during that game. Now you know he did something because he played the whole game but yet did dick, and nothing at the same time.

Do you need another example or are we good?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
    edited September 2023

Have a restful weekend.
    You need to not take what I say so literally and admit when you're wrong, as hard as it is for you to do. I showed where I got my statements from with articles that have the quotes...

You watch the fooseball right?  You watch Mac n Cheese at QB, right?  Let's say he plays the whole game and throws 2 interceptions and fumbles twice san the Pats lose the game.  He, Mac n Cheese, would have done "dick" or "nothing", during that game. Now you know he did something because he played the whole game but yet did dick, and nothing at the same time.

Dumbing it down to a sports analogy? That’s all you have? $800M authorized by the Brandon administration is “nothing?” Good fucking lord is this nation fucked with that kind of thinking.

Mac n cheese sucks and ain’t the answer but he didn’t do “nothing” on the field on Sunday. Took you a week to come up this?

Doing “nothing” would have been Aaron Wodgers and the Jets. To help you out.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Have a restful weekend.

Dumbing it down to a sports analogy? That’s all you have? $800M authorized by the Brandon administration is “nothing?” Good fucking lord is this nation fucked with that kind of thinking.

Mac n cheese sucks and ain’t the answer but he didn’t do “nothing” on the field on Sunday. Took you a week to come up this?

Was away TYVM.  Still not admitting to being wrong, got it!

I went away and unplugged.  Give it a go.  It's nice.  Beach, music and camping.  Wonderful.  I did nothing too this past couple of days.
  • Options

Have a restful weekend.

Was away TYVM.  Still not admitting to being wrong, got it!

I went away and unplugged.  Give it a go.  It's nice.  Beach, music and camping.  Wonderful.  I did nothing too this past couple of days.
    No shitting or pissing? “Chillin” is still “Sumptin” and not “nuttin” unless you were “nuttin?” Then that’s sumptin!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    edited September 2023
    https://abc7ny.com/asylum-seekers-migrants-new-york-city-eric-adams/13808444/

40% of the migrants are from Venezuela the report says.  This move directly helps them if they arrived prior to July 31st.

In other news 10 people blocked a bus and more protesting about the migrants is starting to happen around NYC. Gov Hochul also stated that more needs to be done about the influx of people coming in at the border.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Good luck, Murica. When a decent sized portion of your electorate and their representatives don’t access facts, you’re going to need it. And a lot of it.

Lauren Boebert’s migrant misinformation trail winds back to Canada 2006

“Biden is giving each illegal family $2,200 per month plus a free plane ticket and free medical care. If you come to this country illegally, you get everything handed to you on a silver platter. If you’re a struggling American citizen, you get nothing. You actually just subsidize this foolishness.”

— Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), in a tweet, Sept. 8

Members of Congress have access to all sorts of information, some of it classified, that is generally beyond the reach of many Americans. With a phone call or a letter, a House member can obtain detailed statistics from government agencies. So the words of a lawmaker can carry weight.

This tweet by Boebert, for instance, went viral, earning more than 2 million views from more than 13,000 retweets.

We should point out that this claim is false, worthy of Four Pinocchios, and has been debunked over and over. Now, we have traced its start to false information first spread in Canada 17 years ago.

Undocumented immigrants — those Boebert refers to as illegal —do not receive monthly checks. Under a 1980 law, refugees — people who have documented that they are fleeing a war or persecution — may receive a one-time resettlement payment for items such as food, clothing, transportation or rent. Then they may qualify for cash assistance for a period of time not more than one year, with the amount varying by size of family. Afghan evacuees and some Ukrainians were also given a specific benefit by Congress.

It doesn’t require advanced math to reveal how bogus this claim is. The monthly payment claimed by Boebert would mean at least $26,400 a year per migrant. The Center for Immigration Studies, which supports stricter immigration limits and a merit-based immigration system, estimates that at least 2 million migrants have been released into the United States under President Biden.

If Boebert were right, 2 million undocumented immigrants would require an annual budget of about $53 billion — a line item hard to hide in the budget. The annual funding for the entire Department of Homeland Security provided by Congress is only about $60 billion a year.

We’re especially interested in how this misinformation reached a member of Congress in the first place. Let’s follow the misinformation trail.

An unreliable source

Boebert’s staff did not respond to a request for comment but told a Colorado television station that her source was the Gateway Pundit, which is a widely popular news source. Its Facebook page has more than 600,000 followers. It’s also notorious for spreading false information.

NewsGuard, which rates the accuracy of news sources, saysGateway Pundit is “a far-right political website that publishes false and misleading content” and “regularly distorts information and occasionally spreads conspiracy theories.” Gateway Pundit earned from NewsGuard a score of 20 out of 100 — which means the “website is unreliable because it severely violates basic journalistic standards.”

On Sept. 7, Gateway Pundit’s editor, Jim Hoft, posted an article titled “Outrageous! Border Patrol Agent Reveals Biden Regime Gives $2,200 of Taxpayer Money Per Illegal Immigrant Family, Plus a Plane Ticket, Housing, Food, Free Medical Services.”

The article compared the alleged payments to these: “the average American on Social Security receives just $1,400 per month and Maui survivors with only $700.” (The monthly average for Social Security checks is actually $1,837.)

So what was Holt’s source? He referred to a video interview with an anonymous Border Patrol agent, conducted by Todd Bensman, a fellow for the Center for Immigration Studies, and posted on Sept. 6. That interview earned almost 100,000 views.

“They get a check every month … a cost-of-living check, along with housing and food and medical,” the agent said as Bensman kept his camera on a group of migrants at the Texas border. Bensman asked how much the check was and the agent replied: “My understanding, I’ve heard it’s about 2,200 a month.”

In his tweet over the video, Bensman indicated this was not yet solid information: “will need to independently confirm but hmmmm.” But that did not stop Gateway Pundit from running with it as established fact. (Holt did not respond to a request for comment.)

Tucker Carlson’s role

So where did this Border Patrol agent get this information? It’s possible he saw an interview that former Fox host Tucker Carlson conducted on X, formerly known as Twitter, with retired Col. Douglas Macgregor on Aug. 21.

“We hand every alleged asylum seeker, illegal immigrant pouring in through the border in Texas or wherever else, we hand them when they get here, $2,200,” Macgregor told Carlson. “And we put them on that $2,200 diet from there on out, per month. Yet somebody who works all his life retires and draws Social Security gets $1,400.”

On Sept. 9, Bensman posted on X a viral TikTok clip of Macgregor’s remarks. He commented: “$2,200 checks to illegal aliens again? Even short of details, unverified claims like this, like the old song goes, ‘makes ya wanna go hmmmm.’” That tweet received 33,000 views.

A day later, Bensman backed offafter he was challenged by other people on X, including Aaron Reichlin-Melnick, policy director of the American Immigration Council, a pro-immigrant group. In a tweet that got about 2,500 views, Bensman said that he was beginning to believe the agent had conflated payments given to Afghan refugees with those he claimed were given to all undocumented immigrants crossing the border.

Bensman says he handled the information appropriately.

“My tweets said it was unverified, that I had not independently confirmed the agent’s claim, and I later sent another one out saying he was probably mistaking it for the Afghan payments of up to 3 months,” Bensman said in an email to The Fact Checker. “I was hoping to get to the bottom of it. Maybe an expert would send a link or explain it. I think the agent conflated a couple of programs. But nowhere will anyone read that I called this established truth.”

So where did Macgregor get his information? We received a curious response when we asked.

In an email, Macgregor provided a link to a news story from a conservative Texas radio station, KTRH of Houston, titled: “Biden Giving Illegals $2,200 Per Month Welfare, Only $1,400 to US Retirees.” The story was dated Aug. 28, seven days after his interview.

The article cited an Aug. 22 news release by a group called Americans for Legal Immigration PAC, generally known as ALIPAC. “Biden Admin Giving Illegals $2,200 Per Month Welfare, Only $1,400 to US Retirees,” said the news release’s headline.

What was the source for ALIPAC? Macgregor’s own interview with Carlson.

To bolster his claim, Macgregor also sent us another source — Bensman’s interview with the Border Patrol agent.

We did not hear back from Macgregor after we pointed out that the KTRH article relied on a news release that quoted him and that Bensman had concluded the borderagent spoke in error.

In an interview, Reichlin-Melnick suggested that Macgregor’s source might have been a moderately viral July 24 tweet by a group called Texans for Strong Borders: “Did you know: The government pays out $2,125/month in refugee benefits to refugees resettled in the United States. Meanwhile, Social Security recipients who have paid into the system their entire lives receive $1,400/month on average.” That tweet received 56,000 views. Note, however, that the tweet referred to refugees, not all migrants.

Macgregor also did not respond when we asked if that was the case. Texans for Strong Borders also did not respond to a query about its sourcing.

A zombie claim

The depressing thing about this chronicle of misinformation is that it’s been debunked before.

In 2021, an Instagram post quoted a 2019 tweet by conservative activist Charlie Kirk: “Did you know? The government pays out $2,125/month in refugee benefits to refugees resettled in the United States. Meanwhile, Social Security recipients who have paid into the system their whole live receive $1,400/month on average.” This is word for word the same as the recent Texans for Strong Borders tweet, except with a small typo.

Kirk erred in claiming refugees got a monthly payment that high. A Kirk spokesman told PolitiFact that he was relying on a 2018 fact check— though that fact check did not refer to monthly payments. The Instagram post was deleted; Kirk’s post is still active. (Kirk did not respond to a request for comment.)

And what was PolitiFact fact-checking in 2018? A Facebook meme that made this false claim: “Illegal refugees get $3,874/mo. under the Federal Assistance Program. Our SS checks are approximately $1,200/mo.”

That meme in turn was based on a Facebook post that Snopes in 2017 debunked — a post that referred (falsely) to refugee policy in Canada.

The post showed an authentic image of resettlement payment in Canada — but in a misleading way. The $3,874 in Canadian dollars (or $2,748 in U.S. dollars at the time) was for a family of five and it was a one-time payment — not a monthly one.

But it turns out that even this was not new. In 2006, on a webpage called “Just the Facts,” Canada’s immigration department was compelled to post a statementdebunking the idea that refugees received more financial assistance on a monthly basis than pensioners.

The Bottom Line

This is a good example of the outrage machine in motion. People are so quick to seize on information that confirms a false belief — that immigrants get more than U.S. citizens from the government — that few stop to think twice before spreading it across social media. It’s much easier to click “like” and repost.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/09/21/lauren-boeberts-migrant-misinformation-trail-winds-back-canada-2006/

Brilliantati©