• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Crazy day yesterday! Wow!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    Congrats to the teams that have won. Not sure how much sense baseball makes, with a season double the length of the other ‘daily’ sports and teams get bounced in shorter series than the other team sports, in best of threes and fives, when hockey and basketball you need four wins to bounce out the top teams.

With all the 100 win teams out in the NL, what is the point of such a long season besides selling a few more tickets? If MLB wants an expanded playoff then do it right.

I say go back to 154 games and make all playoff advancement at least a best of seven. Not sure it’d matter with teams getting hot like SD and Philly, but it’s right now a very bizarre system. (Yes my team won 100 but we all know they s^ck!)
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    Braves won 101 games this year. Everyone seems to forget they only won 88 last year, when they actually won a title. And baseball is still the hardest sport to make the playoffs. Getting a bye from playing the WC is a pretty big payoff. But I'd say the reward of being the best (specifically the #1 seed) isn't good enough.

There's no way the format changes, especially if they want more teams in the playoffs. Parity keeps the overall sport more engaged. But I'll say if they add anymore teams I don't think logistically there's anyway they can do so without shortening the season. 

I do think the LDS should be 7 games though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I like what they did this year and adding 2 games to LDS would be better.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    Wobbie said:
    here’s who I want to win the WS, from most wanted to least:

guardians, - last won one in 1948. I like their pudgy slugger. francona is a good dude.

astros - yes, bregman is annoying but dusty deserves one. plus, I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for what they did to the d**gers.

blue jays - other than bichette’s kid, I like them.

mariners - good story but I do get tired of the “we KNOW griffey was clean.” you don’t KNOW shit.

rays - I guess….but they have no fans and TB really doesn’t need another title.

braves - just to see freddie cry some more. but I really do hate their tomahawk chopping fans and an organization that moves to the suburbs just because their fanbase might be a little too “urban.”

phillies - nothing against them but, oh, our “philly guys.”

mets - like the team; can’t stand their “smartest guy in the room” manager. he’s right up there with maddon and TLR.

cardinals - don’t think I can take any more poo holes slurpage.

yankees - cliffy is a cool dude but they can stay at “27, bro.” plus, boone is annoying.

padres - fuck that paid for team.

LA cocksuckers - where do I start? they’ve been trying to buy a ring since 1988. it’s the LA way (rams, lakers). a totally hateable lineup, with the exception of kershaw. j. turner, t. turner, muncy, taylor, bellinger, kimbrel, may are all assholes. mookie and freddie are only OK because they didn’t come up in the system. speaking of mookie, a special “FUCK YOU!” to the red sox for continually sending your stars to LA. shitty, bandwagon fanbase. please, please, please let the 34 year drought continue.
    time to re-seed:

from most wanted to least:

guardians

phillies

astros

padres

yankees

did I see kershaw crying? I sure hope so. maybe ernie has a meme for that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I like what they did this year and adding 2 games to LDS would be better.  

7 game LDS makes sense to me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,410
    Then we'll want a 9 game when the best teams don't win
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    igotid88 said:
    Not true, at least for me.  7 games is what I always think of for a proper series....and I don't care about the so called best teams winning.  F the Dodgers, big time!  :)

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    Are we reverting back to the early 1900's, lol?!?  9 games is just too long.  You'd burn out the pitchers if it went to 9 games.  Imagine that though?!?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Are we reverting back to the early 1900's, lol?!?  9 games is just too long.  You'd burn out the pitchers if it went to 9 games.  Imagine that though?!?
    Cy Young had three complete games in the 1903 World Series, and pitched seven innings in relief in a fourth game when a starter named Tom Hughes lasted only two innings (34 innings overall). Not only that, his teammate Bill Dinneen had four complete games (35 innings overall). Boy the times have changed. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    igotid88 said:
    Cy Young had three complete games in the 1903 World Series, and pitched seven innings in relief in a fourth game when a starter named Tom Hughes lasted only two innings (34 innings overall). Not only that, his teammate Bill Dinneen had four complete games (35 innings overall). Boy the times have changed. 
    I assume this was one of the many 'dead ball' eras where a pitcher could just groove a fastball and it wasn't going to get throttled by a 5'6" shortstop.  That takes a lot of pressure off your arm and your brain.  

I like this format.. 3, 5, 7, 7.  Lots of teams have a chance late in the season and every game is super high pressure.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:

I like this format.. 3, 5, 7, 7.  Lots of teams have a chance late in the season and every game is super high pressure.  
    just win three games, “juggernauts.” I was reading an interesting article (LA Times) blaming andrew friedman (and other GM’s) for this fucking “by the numbers” approach. tyler anderson had given up two hits in five innings and they pulled him. it was probably decided before the game. nice move, genius.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Trying to figure out a way to get to Houston for games 1 & 2, but I don't think I can swing it with work. Damnit.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Comparing anything Cyrus did back in the olden days is moot.  It will never happen again, lol.  Who was the guy that pitched the double header No Hitter, Vandermeer I think?  Then there was a pitcher who pitched a whole game behind his back, this one was on the back of an old Fleer sticker I had.

Nolan Ryan threw a 235 pitch game once too.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Comparing anything Cyrus did back in the olden days is moot.  It will never happen again, lol.  Who was the guy that pitched the double header No Hitter, Vandermeer I think?  Then there was a pitcher who pitched a whole game behind his back, this one was on the back of an old Fleer sticker I had.

Hence...."Boy times have changed." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Vander Meer pitched consecutive no-no’s but not in a doubleheader.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:

Vander Meer pitched consecutive no-no’s but not in a doubleheader.
    It wasn't a double header huh?  OK ty.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I do love me some old timey facts though.  To see what they did back in the day was crazy.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I do love me some old timey facts though.  To see what they did back in the day was crazy.
    Even going back to just 1967, Bob Gibson had three complete games in that World Series. AND three complete games in the following year's World Series (though he lost one of those). 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I always loved the Dizzy and Daffy Dean doubleheader, both shutouts, a 3 hitter and no hitter.  
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    This is how I think it should've been (not that I'm complaining):

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    edited October 2022
    This is how I think it should've been (not that I'm complaining):

Because of the lock out no way they could have done 7 games division series unless you are ok ending in mid-November. as it is now they are playing 7 games in 8 days in the NLCS and game 7 of a World Series in scheduled for Nov 5th.   Just wouldn't have worked well this year.  I do think re-seeding is the right idea though.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Even going back to just 1967, Bob Gibson had three complete games in that World Series. AND three complete games in the following year's World Series (though he lost one of those). 
    Curt Flood screwed that up.  He should have caught that ball.  Momentary brain fart on his part not Bob's.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:

I always loved the Dizzy and Daffy Dean doubleheader, both shutouts, a 3 hitter and no hitter.  
    That's a good one!

I love reading old baseball books and John Mcgraw and his Giants would constantly cheat.  They didn't have as many umps back then and the team would run from first to third if the ump wasn't paying attention, lol.

Doc Ellis pitching on LSD.

Ty Cobb hitting Homers in multiple days and telling reporters "see, i can do that too." or something to that effect.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,457
    101 win teams have no right to whine about the system (and to their credit didn't) when their best player is picking daisies in RF while the other team's catcher is running to an inside-the-park homer.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    101 win teams have no right to whine about the system (and to their credit didn't) when their best player is picking daisies in RF while the other team's catcher is running to an inside-the-park homer.
    But he had a cool way of putting the sunglasses on his head/Cap when he didn't need them

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I assume this was one of the many 'dead ball' eras where a pitcher could just groove a fastball and it wasn't going to get throttled by a 5'6" shortstop.  That takes a lot of pressure off your arm and your brain.  

I also like the format, much better than previous seasons especially that one game wildcard just to get into the playoffs.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:

I also like the format, much better than previous seasons especially that one game wildcard just to get into the playoffs.

Yeah I didn't like one game.  Baseball isn't designed that way,  but 3 is defensible,  especially considering in our youth,  only four teams made the playoffs.