Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Hi! said:
    They’re gonna have to have a really solid game plan on how they wanna pitch to batters now. They know they are gonna be on the clock, so pitchers and catchers gonna have to really be on the same page with a lot of  the “what ifs”. Not that they don’t do that already but it seems even more so now. Obviously less time to decide how you wanna attack the batter. 
    Yeah, but baseball has been around since the 1800's. Never before the last 10-15 some years did games routinely take over 3 hours to play. If pitchers and catchers were able to get on the same page in under 15 or 20 seconds for decades and decades and decades, I am sure today's players can figure it out. Granted it's an adjustment with the clock but I think the feedback in the minors was mostly positive. And I think you will see a lot less time infractions during the season as guys get used to it...hopefully. 

That's what I think...they will get into a groove and it will be second nature.

I just think the timekeeper is going to fuck up a lot
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    They’re gonna have to have a really solid game plan on how they wanna pitch to batters now. They know they are gonna be on the clock, so pitchers and catchers gonna have to really be on the same page with a lot of  the “what ifs”. Not that they don’t do that already but it seems even more so now. Obviously less time to decide how you wanna attack the batter. 
    Yeah, but baseball has been around since the 1800's. Never before the last 10-15 some years did games routinely take over 3 hours to play. If pitchers and catchers were able to get on the same page in under 15 or 20 seconds for decades and decades and decades, I am sure today's players can figure it out. Granted it's an adjustment with the clock but I think the feedback in the minors was mostly positive. And I think you will see a lot less time infractions during the season as guys get used to it...hopefully. 

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be watching here and there. It’s unfortunate to have to do this to save, on average, 20 minutes a game. Seems they could cut into some of the in between inning and/or 7th inning stretch shenanigans to save 20 minutes. But that would take away commercial time, I’m sure.
    It's as much about the pace of play as opposed to overall time. Go on youtube and pick out any random game from the 80's and use your own clock. I did that recently with a Phils/Pirates game from 1989. Legendary left hander Bruce Ruffin was starting his windup in maybe 5-6 seconds on average. I find that kind of game much more enjoyable than watching batters fiddling with their gloves and stepping out of the box between every pitch. 

I guess an ancillary benefit of having games be over around 9:30 as opposed to 10 is more kids get to see full games before having to go to bed. 
    Right, I get that side of it as well. I just prefer a natural flow in baseball, whereas it is maybe a little more forced now. Americas Pastime is now become Americas, How much time? Lol, I kid. I’m just kinda a casual fan so I don’t want to commit to anything really. We’ll see how it plays out. I know I don’t like games being decided on a clock violation. That’s crazy.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Tom Hanks voice:Clocks!? Clocks?! There are no clocks in baseball!!!!
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be watching here and there. It’s unfortunate to have to do this to save, on average, 20 minutes a game. Seems they could cut into some of the in between inning and/or 7th inning stretch shenanigans to save 20 minutes. But that would take away commercial time, I’m sure.
    I don't feel like a lot of these have anything to do with shortening games, but instead increasing action/offense. No shift, limited pick-offs and larger bases all mean more hits and runners flying around the bases which in theory would make a game longer. The time clocks for batters and pitchers should speed things up.

I think what has slowed the game down is mostly pitcher changes related. Starters going less innings and 4+ relievers being used to finish the games has slowed things down significantly. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    tbergs said:
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

I don't feel like a lot of these have anything to do with shortening games, but instead increasing action/offense. No shift, limited pick-offs and larger bases all mean more hits and runners flying around the bases which in theory would make a game longer. The time clocks for batters and pitchers should speed things up.

I think what has slowed the game down is mostly pitcher changes related. Starters going less innings and 4+ relievers being used to finish the games has slowed things down significantly. 
    Oh, for sure. I agree. I don’t like the rule changes or the clock really.
    The evolution of the game is definitely an interesting aspect. And the relief pitching now, JFC! They have a different pitcher for every situation it seems. Agreed that that adds a lot of extra time compared to the past. Do pitchers need to warm up again on the mound after warming up in the bull pen already? I like when a pitcher pitches his 8 innings and relief comes in to close it in the 9th. Game over . Good night. Lol

IDK, there have been a lot of rule changes and evolution that has taken place in baseball over the years and the game seems to always find a way to even/level itself out when it comes to the new/different dynamics. Time will tell.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    For shits & Giggles I looked up how long this game took(I was at this game as a VERY YOUNG kid)

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197208170PHI
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    tbergs said:
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

The evolution of the game is definitely an interesting aspect. And the relief pitching now, JFC! They have a different pitcher for every situation it seems. Agreed that that adds a lot of extra time compared to the past. Do pitchers need to warm up again on the mound after warming up in the bull pen already? I like when a pitcher pitches his 8 innings and relief comes in to close it in the 9th. Game over . Good night. Lol

IDK, there have been a lot of rule changes and evolution that has taken place in baseball over the years and the game seems to always find a way to even/level itself out when it comes to the new/different dynamics. Time will tell.
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on here but years ago I had an idea to make up a team of pitchers that would only pitch 2-3 innings then change.  I would load up on pitchers on the roster and try to get them to pitch every third day.  Almost like an allstar game is setup.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Hi! said:
    tbergs said:
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on here but years ago I had an idea to make up a team of pitchers that would only pitch 2-3 innings then change.  I would load up on pitchers on the roster and try to get them to pitch every third day.  Almost like an allstar game is setup.
    Lol, nice. Yo, are you allowed to switch pitchers mid batter? Like it’s 2-2… can I bring in a new pitcher to pitch mid count? I’d assume not. Maybe an unwritten rule? I’m sure the pitcher who starts must complete the at bat, its not like you can bring in a new batter mid count. I’ve often wondered about this.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    cutz said:
    For shits & Giggles I looked up how long this game took(I was at this game as a VERY YOUNG kid)

2 hours and 4 minutes. Awesome!

Also...complete game for Lefty despite giving up 4 runs on 7 hits. He'd be out in the 6th in today's game...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    cutz said:

Also...complete game for Lefty despite giving up 4 runs on 7 hits. He'd be out in the 6th in today's game...
    Yeah, if not sooner than the 6th. I'd love to know his pitch count for that game. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    cutz said:

Yeah, if not sooner than the 6th. I'd love to know his pitch count for that game. 
    Me too.

I'd guess somewhere around 130ish?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz said:

Me too.

I'd guess somewhere around 130ish?
    That seems about right. Maybe on up into the 140s. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    Good news out of Dodgers camp.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    We're having a blast down here in Florida. Saw the Astros play Miami on Monday - going to the Astros/Red Sox game today and we'll see them play Atlanta on Friday.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    LOL...different, but I like it

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    HA!  This is fantastic.

Did I hear that the fielders can't leave the dirt?  I don't recall that being a rule?
  • Options
    HA!  This is fantastic.

Did I hear that the fielders can't leave the dirt?  I don't recall that being a rule?
    yep....8 feet have to be in the infield....weird

• Options
    HA!  This is fantastic.

I think he was trying to say that the infielders couldn't set up on the outfield grass, which is part of the new shift rule. Sounded like he got tongue twisted talking about the new rules.

Funniest part to me was Joe Buck asking his sidekick to fill some time before Baez threw his next pitch.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    HA!  This is fantastic.

yep....8 feet have to be in the infield....weird
    god i hate this rule so much.
  • Options
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    Yea they said that teams might do that. If it gets bad they might have circles in the outfield where they have to be in.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Yea they said that teams might do that. If it gets bad they might have circles in the outfield where they have to be in.
    Which is absurd.
  • Options
    Reminds me of a story that Mad Magazine did years ago about how to make baseball more exiting. One of the ideas was to have the batter carry his bat and swat at the infielders when trying to get on base.

• Options
    Reminds me of a story that Mad Magazine did years ago about how to make baseball more exiting. One of the ideas was to have the batter carry his bat and swat at the infielders when trying to get on base.

Absolutely. The worst thing for baseball is baseball. Point being - the sport is the sport, and trying to modify it in ways (outside of pace of play, which I can understand to an extent) to make it more exciting to people watching basketball/playing video games/kids and their TikToks is a losing battle they (MLB) are not going to win.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have no problems with the pitch clock. My post above is perfect illustration of why I don't mind it. Banning the shift is just plain stupid. They're just rewarding batters for being too 1-dimensional.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Only watched an inning or two but I actually think the clock is too quick.  They should add about five seconds.  And no they should not allow that formation of outfielders above.  Put lines in the outfield that outfielders can’t cross before the pitch is thrown.  This isn’t softball we don’t need to see short fielders.  And the DH still blows 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Only watched an inning or two but I actually think the clock is too quick.  They should add about five seconds.  And no they should not allow that formation of outfielders above.  Put lines in the outfield that outfielders can’t cross before the pitch is thrown.  This isn’t softball we don’t need to see short fielders.  And the DH still blows 
    I like the clock but I'm not sure on the formations. If a team is willing to roll the dice I don't see why a rule should stop them.