MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    MayDay10 said:
    I didn't know there was this much development for it so far, but seems like Nashville is pretty close to being a definitive expansion team.

Who should the other be? Based on everything I've read makes a lot of sense for it to be Portland. Personally, I want the Expos to come back.
    I have seen Charlotte mentioned
    I grew up in an SC suburb of Charlotte and can tell you they've wanted an MLB team for a while. I remember it being discussed and reading op-eds on it back to at least when I was in high school, if not longer. For reference, I graduated high school in 2001.

Charlotte does have a history of supporting its pro teams. That, along with the ever growing metro area, would make it a prime city for MLB expansion. That said, I'm not sure how well an MLB team would do there. For longtime residents of the Carolinas, the new team would have to fight the strong ties with the Braves, as well as the Orioles and Nationals to a lesser degree. It can be done, but would probably take a while to really build a fan base.
  • No league needs more teams at this point.
    I agree.  The pitching will be saturated with new additional teams...
  • So Correa is either signed with Minnesota or the Mets...

Two people out in the twiitersphere plugging both ideas.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Too funny...he's going back to the Twins
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Friday: "Correa/Twins deal on hold after concerns with physical"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    good.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    LOLMETS

Step right up!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Nashville and baseball?  That would be interesting.  That means the team will be music related I'm sure...
    As of now the initiative is named after the former negro league team, the Stars. Would be cool if they kept this.

Extremely funny.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Friday: "Correa/Twins deal on hold after concerns with physical"
    Ha.
    For reals.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    No league needs more teams at this point.
    They might retract a team. Maybe Tampa Bay or Miami?
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    igotid88 said:
    LA doesn’t need two teams. contract the d**gers.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    I knew I got the word wrong
    I miss igotid88
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    LA has never had 2 teams no matter what the Angels decide to call themselves.
    They play in Anaheim.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The Correa situation is great for the Twins and baseball. 6 years seems like a much more reasonable deal and even with health concerns, he'll most likely meet the expectations of the contract during his peak years. I'm sure the bigger concern was his 32+ age years of those massive contracts. Plus, a big name star stays in a smaller market and keeps the Twins more competitve and likely to bring in a few other players to shoot for the playoffs in a generally weak division.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Nashville and baseball?  That would be interesting.  That means the team will be music related I'm sure...
    As of now the initiative is named after the former negro league team, the Stars. Would be cool if they kept this.

Extremely funny.
    Nashville Stars does not have a good ring to it...
  • tbergs said:
    The Correa situation is great for the Twins and baseball. 6 years seems like a much more reasonable deal and even with health concerns, he'll most likely meet the expectations of the contract during his peak years. I'm sure the bigger concern was his 32+ age years of those massive contracts. Plus, a big name star stays in a smaller market and keeps the Twins more competitve and likely to bring in a few other players to shoot for the playoffs in a generally weak division.
    If he performs there then the Twins have a pretty good hitting team.  They'll be under the radar of everyone because, it's the twins.

Arraez, Kepler, Lewis and Buxton if he can ever stay healthy is a pretty damn good middle of the line up when you add in Correa.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    Nashville and baseball?  That would be interesting.  That means the team will be music related I'm sure...

Extremely funny.
    They should make it Nashville Northstars
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Correa was on the Twins last season and they lost 84 games.  
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Poncier said:

Extremely funny.
    Named after a Negro League team and reference to something from the North? Their collective heads would explode.
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, they fell apart at the end of season. I think they went something like 11 - 22 from September on.
  • Poncier said:

Extremely funny.
    HAHAHAHA!  That's funny and I was thinking the same thing.
  • MayDay10 said:
    Buxton and Lewis were hurt in and out.  Like I mentioned, get them healthy and they have one hell of a team.  Has anyone followed Buxton when he is healthy?  Dude is MVP 10WAR quality.  Problem is, he can't stay healthy.

I'd love 1 or 2 seasons of him healthy and to put on a show for the world.
    Poncier said:

Extremely funny.
    Any team that includes stars or north stars just brings back memories of MN losing hockey to Dallas in the 90's. So stupid.
  • tbergs said:
    Poncier said:

Extremely funny.
    Any team that includes stars or north stars just brings back memories of MN losing hockey to Dallas in the 90's. So stupid.
    North stars and Nordiques moving I'll never understand.  When The Avalanche(Nordiques) win a cup in their 1st year away from Quebec?  Man that must still sting for them up there. 

They have 3 since leaving...
    MayDay10 said:
    Buxton and Lewis were hurt in and out.  Like I mentioned, get them healthy and they have one hell of a team.  Has anyone followed Buxton when he is healthy?  Dude is MVP 10WAR quality.  Problem is, he can't stay healthy.

Buxton getting hurt is a foregone conclusion/inevitability.  Unfortunately
  • MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Buxton getting hurt is a foregone conclusion/inevitability.  Unfortunately
    Let me dream ok.  I'm an Angels fan, it's all I've got, lol.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited January 2023
    Yeah, I agree.

In a perfect world the MLB would eliminate 2-4 teams.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    cutz said:
    Yeah, I agree.

In a perfect world the MLB would eliminate 2-4 teams.
    Yeah. I'd love to eliminate 2-4 teams from NBA and NFL too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    tbergs said:
    Poncier said:

Extremely funny.
    North stars and Nordiques moving I'll never understand.  When The Avalanche(Nordiques) win a cup in their 1st year away from Quebec?  Man that must still sting for them up there. 

Lindros refusing to go to Quebec lead them to a great roster. 
    Bettman moved both the Nordiques and Jets (although there were other issues for both) yet continues to bend over backwards for the Coyotes.
    Playing in a 5000 seat arena is an absolute joke for the NHL
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    edited January 2023
    erebus said:
    tbergs said:
    Poncier said:

Extremely funny.

Lindros refusing to go to Quebec lead them to a great roster. 
    Bettman moved both the Nordiques and Jets (although there were other issues for both) yet continues to bend over backwards for the Coyotes.
    Playing in a 5000 seat arena is an absolute joke for the NHL
    Its about the US television footprint.  Hartford does little, but moving into North Carolina into new territory was a good business decision.  Jets moving to Phoenix, yes.  Quebec City to Denver.  Minnesota to Dallas...  However, Minneapolis should have an NHL team and they rightly got one back. They were forcing all the markets to pony up for the new cookie cutter arenas of the 90s, and those who didn't build were left behind.   Atlanta back to Winnipeg was a weird one, but they had a guy with like $20 Billion ready to pony up in their league and a messy situation in Atlanta.

The Coyotes is an interesting one.  I cant shit on them too much.  Huge playoff drought.  Since they moved there like 25 years ago, there has only been 1 season they have won a playoff series.  That arena in Glendale really choked attendance off.  I'm surprised the NHL hasnt tried to grease them into Houston yet, but this new arena project sounds pretty lucrative.

I'm a guy who really prefers and misses the old NHL pre-1994.  However, I get why the NHL did what they did and it has worked out very well
    Post edited by MayDay10 on