MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• ^^^

Or the front of the merch lines at PJ concerts when Dorothy Fiddlefuddle is trying on six sizes of shirts to change her mind and start again on the 3/4 sleeves.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    How about stop trying to sell baseball to people who will never like baseball. Revenue is the highest it’s ever been. Own it 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'll disagree w the NFL" action time".

You have men in motion, a time clock that everyone is watching...  It just seems off.
    Men in motion doesn’t count, that’s dead ball. Snap to down. Similarly there are men in motion constantly in baseball.
    How about stop trying to sell baseball to people who will never like baseball. Revenue is the highest it’s ever been. Own it 
    Cliffy for commish! Like the 2nd tweet I posted, if you have a problem with a 3 hour game, you just don’t appreciate baseball.
    No NL DH though, you can keep your AL, just leave my league alone, ha!
  • I'll disagree w the NFL" action time".

You have men in motion, a time clock that everyone is watching...  It just seems off.
    Men in motion doesn’t count, that’s dead ball. Snap to down. Similarly there are men in motion constantly in baseball.
    Compared to football there is hardly any movement other than the infielders kicking dirt in between a pitch.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Plus compare the "action" of a baseball game to a football game.
    In baseball, some(much) of that action time is a pitch that gets taken...whereas in football its 22 guys going at each other. Apples to watermelons.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    the difference is an NFL fan only has to commit 3 hours for this team 16 times a season and almost always on a weekend.  Baseball plays 162 games over about 200 days. it can be hard to commit to mid-week baseball games for 3 hours.  i love baseball but it's a rare regular season game i will watch at home for 3 hours straight.  that being said i have very little interest in attending an NFL game. way too much standing around on the field and lots of time cold weather.  living room or a bar is a perfect place to watch the NFL.

pjhawks said:
    the difference is an NFL fan only has to commit 3 hours for this team 16 times a season and almost always on a weekend.  Baseball plays 162 games over about 200 days. it can be hard to commit to mid-week baseball games for 3 hours.  i love baseball but it's a rare regular season game i will watch at home for 3 hours straight.  that being said i have very little interest in attending an NFL game. way too much standing around on the field and lots of time cold weather.  living room or a bar is a perfect place to watch the NFL.
    All good points. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    pjhawks said:

Yep.
    NFL and TV are a perfect marriage.
    Once TV became Hi Def, watching a football game at home is hard to beat.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawks said:

The idiots in the stands make watching football live a bit of a drag as well.

Baseball is something you can have on in the background when doing things around the house (or napping): I'll start paying attention when things like the heart of the order is due up.
  • Harper and Machado still not signed...
    Harper and Machado still not signed...
    because their agents are in a dick measuring contest. one won't sign until the other does.
  • pjhawks said:
    because their agents are in a dick measuring contest. one won't sign until the other does.
    There is a good chance that they only sign with a team short term for a year and have to repeat this crap again...
  • I can't WAIT for Guerrero Jr to play!
    Another guy I'm interested in seeing is Jimenez.
    pjhawks said:
    As in doing their job to get the most money possible for their clients?  So if neither of them are going to sign until the other does, then they are both retiring?
  • pjhawks said:
    As in doing their job to get the most money possible for their clients?  So if neither of them are going to sign until the other does, then they are both retiring?
    No they will both sign one year deals and do this again next year.
    pjhawks said:
    No they will both sign one year deals and do this again next year.
    Any short term deal I would assume would be 3 which I believe would get them to the new CBA. I can't see them signing a one year deal and potentially struggling.  Too much risk
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I think there's too much money on the table to do a one year deal. Doesn't make any sense - as long as they get their AAV money, which is very likely, then they'll get at least short-term deals with options and incentives to get out of the deal and/or renegotiate if it's not exactly what they're looking for - i.e. something like a 3, 4 year deal with options for the next 3-5 years.

In related news - this is nuts.
    Another guy I'm interested in seeing is Jimenez.
    Yes!

Eloy Jiminez, Vlad Jr, Nick Senzel, Tatis Jr, Bichette, Robles  There are a few I want to see play!
    pjhawks said:
    so basically you agree with it. it's a dick measuring contest between them.

the problem i have is people make it seem like it's MLB's and the teams fault for all these players not being signed. it's not. it's the agents.  it's not collusion but how the hell can i sign other players until i know what my highest paid player is going to get?  so these players and agents can't complain about the number of unsigned players. it's their own damn fault. fuck Scott Boras
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

the problem i have is people make it seem like it's MLB's and the teams fault for all these players not being signed. it's not. it's the agents.  it's not collusion but how the hell can i sign other players until i know what my highest paid player is going to get?  so these players and agents can't complain about the number of unsigned players. it's their own damn fault. fuck Scott Boras
    You’re fucking right I agree with this. It’s the agents job to get their client as much money as possible.

I’ll never understand this line of thinking. It’s asinine. Of corse boras is going to hold out when mlb revenue is the highest it’s ever been and he’s getting shit offers than don’t compare to the past. You would support the owners and not the people that actually provide your entertainment. If mlb revenue is that high, someone needs to get the money and you’d prefer it to go to ownership. Why the fuck should a player just take whatever is offered?

its like saying the branch manager at Wells Fargo shouldn’t get a bonus when the bank has its best year ever but the CEO should. 

Fuck ownership not paying players while they sit on a goldmine. Scott boras should do his job to get his players as much money as possible. He has no other success metric in his job. But hey, at least ticket prices are going up and players aren’t getting their share. Go Owners!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Mike Trout will probably have to sign another extension than test the free agency market when he's 29
    I miss igotid88
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

You’re fucking right I agree with this. It’s the agents job to get their client as much money as possible.

I’ll never understand this line of thinking. It’s asinine. Of corse boras is going to hold out when mlb revenue is the highest it’s ever been and he’s getting shit offers than don’t compare to the past. You would support the owners and not the people that actually provide your entertainment. If mlb revenue is that high, someone needs to get the money and you’d prefer it to go to ownership. Why the fuck should a player just take whatever is offered?

its like saying the branch manager at Wells Fargo shouldn’t get a bonus when the bank has its best year ever but the CEO should. 

Fuck ownership not paying players while they sit on a goldmine. Scott boras should do his job to get his players as much money as possible. He has no other success metric in his job. But hey, at least ticket prices are going up and players aren’t getting their share. Go Owners!
    what's funny about all this is that Boras was the 1st agent to use all these analytics to get bigger deals for his players. now the owners use those same analytics against him and other agents as they realize giving large long term deals most likely end up as a disaster. Boras brought a lot of it on himself.

and the branch manager at Wells Fargo can take the offer of the company or fuck off.  Most companies will make one offer, you can counter offer but there isn't going to be 6 months of negotiations in 99.9% of most company-employee pay disputes.  and most other banks will fall in line with similar pay grades so you can become a free agent but you ain't getting a shit ton more for another bank than Wells Fargo.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

what's funny about all this is that Boras was the 1st agent to use all these analytics to get bigger deals for his players. now the owners use those same analytics against him and other agents as they realize giving large long term deals most likely end up as a disaster. Boras brought a lot of it on himself.

and the branch manager at Wells Fargo can take the offer of the company or fuck off.  Most companies will make one offer, you can counter offer but there isn't going to be 6 months of negotiations in 99.9% of most company-employee pay disputes.  and most other banks will fall in line with similar pay grades so you can become a free agent but you ain't getting a shit ton more for another bank than Wells Fargo.
    These free agents are 26. There is one comparison and that contract worked out just fine over its life.

lol. Take what the man gives you or fuck off. Hell of a way to go through life. Sounds like a real man. 
    Most other banks will fall in line with paygrades is the definition of collusion no?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Giants now the front runner for Harper? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Most other banks will fall in line with paygrades is the definition of collusion no?
    no.   payrolls are not unlimited. is this a difficult concept?  heck even your yankees understand this to a point.

pjhawks said:
    no.   payrolls are not unlimited. is this a difficult concept?  heck even your yankees understand this to a point.

Never even mildly insinuated so. However with revenue what it is, there is a lot of room to grow. Yankees revenue is up, and payroll is generally down (though higher than last year). Bet you’re pumped Hal has that extra money