MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    igotid88 said:
    You can pretty much see a lockout or strike the next CBA.
    For sure.  The service time manipulation nonsense will be a huge sticking point for the players.  And I have no idea what they can do but something needs to be done with free agency.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Teams need to spend a certain amount of money...and they can put a clock on that as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Cubs went and got Brad Brach for $3mil.  I'll take it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Poncier said:
    But he's bringing a World Series ring with him, maybe he can teach them something about winning.

giants win so much, they’re tired of winning! :murica:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Padres a surprise late contender for Machado.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Poncier said:
    Padres a surprise late contender for Machado.
    Love it when teams like this join the fray. Helps ensure an asshole like Machado ends up on a basement dwelling team.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Reds should go after Harper.  C'mon...if the frigging Pads can go after Manny?
    Make a trade for the Klubot whioe they are at it

The love he receives is the love that is saved

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic changes to the on-field game and economic landscape of the sport in the middle of a collective bargaining agreement, a significant departure from the past that speaks to the chasm between the parties but represents a thaw in the chill that has divided the sides, sources familiar with the talks told ESPN.

Dueling proposals from MLB on Jan. 14 and the union on Friday covered a wide range of topics, according to sources. Among them include:

• A three-batter minimum for pitchers

• A universal designated hitter

• A single trade deadline before the All-Star break

• A 20-second pitch clock

• The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum

• Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams

• A study to lower the mound

• A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic changes to the on-field game and economic landscape of the sport in the middle of a collective bargaining agreement, a significant departure from the past that speaks to the chasm between the parties but represents a thaw in the chill that has divided the sides, sources familiar with the talks told ESPN.

Dueling proposals from MLB on Jan. 14 and the union on Friday covered a wide range of topics, according to sources. Among them include:

• A three-batter minimum for pitchers

• A universal designated hitter

• A single trade deadline before the All-Star break

• A 20-second pitch clock

• The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum

• Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams

• A study to lower the mound

• A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts

Interesting.  3 batter minimum for pitchers is absurd but I do agree with just about everything else on there.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    • A three-batter minimum for pitchers - I think this would be dumb.

• A universal designated hitter - I think this is an inevitability 

• A single trade deadline before the All-Star break - I think the trade deadline should be pushed further back than up and it should definitely be a single trade deadline. You should be able to trade picks as well (semi-related: baseball should have a salary floor contingent partly upon the % of revenue sharing they receive compared to the amount of their future salary obligations).

• A 20-second pitch clock - indifferent to it, but I think it'll be rarely enforced; rather should limit the amount of times the catcher & pitcher have meetings on the mound (though I think they did  something about this right?).

• The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum - saw that this would coincide with a 28-man roster in September right? I'm indifferent to the roster size change, but I don't think a team should be directed how to comprise their roster positions.

• Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams - meh? Seems dumb.

No interest in the last two bullet points.
    I dread the day of the DH in the NL.  I know it's coming, and soon.  I just don't like it. I love the strategy of National League baseball, you have to be really careful about the moves you make regarding pitchers, pinch-hitters, how & when you use your bullpen, defensive replacements, etc.  The DH removes all of that and dumbs down the game.  The NL is the thinking man's league, the AL is cro-magnon.

• A single trade deadline before the All-Star break - I think the trade deadline should be pushed further back than up and it should definitely be a single trade deadline. You should be able to trade picks as well (semi-related: baseball should have a salary floor contingent partly upon the % of revenue sharing they receive compared to the amount of their future salary obligations).

• A 20-second pitch clock - indifferent to it, but I think it'll be rarely enforced; rather should limit the amount of times the catcher & pitcher have meetings on the mound (though I think they did  something about this right?).

• The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum - saw that this would coincide with a 28-man roster in September right? I'm indifferent to the roster size change, but I don't think a team should be directed how to comprise their roster positions.

• Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams - meh? Seems dumb.

I think the roster expansion to 26 is a by-product of the universal DH.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

I love September call ups.  It will only give teams another excuse for keeping people down early in the year to keep the  year of team control, if players can't get random MLB experience at the end of the year.
    I dread the day of the DH in the NL.  I know it's coming, and soon.  I just don't like it. I love the strategy of National League baseball, you have to be really careful about the moves you make regarding pitchers, pinch-hitters, how & when you use your bullpen, defensive replacements, etc.  The DH removes all of that and dumbs down the game.  The NL is the thinking man's league, the AL is cro-magnon.
    I completely agree but the toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.
    I completely agree but the toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.
    You are correct unfortunately.
    edited February 2019
    The drama.  Congrats, You can do a double switch.

I'd rather watch someone that can swing the batter better than my 11 month old daughter bat.  Players are more fun than watching some schmo pull a double switch.
    Yeah, I don't count on an AL fan understanding that there is more to it than pulling a double-switch.  Enjoy your cro-magnon league.  Me have bat, me hit ball, rawr!
    Furthermore, if there's a universal DH then there should be no limit on the amount of pitchers on a roster - less reason to have more positional players and more need for pitchers.
    Yeah, I don't count on an AL fan understanding that there is more to it than pulling a double-switch.  Enjoy your cro-magnon league.  Me have bat, me hit ball, rawr!
    Or, oh, I am so smart and cute and hipster.  I like watching pitchers feebly swing a bat because I like to think I am smarter than everyone, when in fact I just like a lesser form of entertainment.
  • Adding the DH to the NL reminds me of when they started Interleague play: it's something that I don't like in theory, but will like in execution. That's rare because usually you like something in theory (that's a great idea!) but once it's executed, you don't like it (on second thought, that idea sucked!) With interleague play, I was one of those nerds that was against it and said shit like "But that's what's so cool about baseball! Each league is totally separate!" I said that at first, but once teams like the Red Sox and Yankees began coming to Veterans Stadium for games, I had to admit that it was actually pretty damn cool. 

Same thing with the DH in the NL. As much as I'd like to be purist and say "Baseball is a 9 men versus 9 men game, not 10 versus 10," more offense and less pitching changes is something I can definitely get behind. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Dingers are good and fun
    Don't know if this goes here, don't know where else to put it but this is a fun discussion about athletes getting paid:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/sports-6/
    Or, oh, I am so smart and cute and hipster.  I like watching pitchers feebly swing a bat because I like to think I am smarter than everyone, when in fact I just like a lesser form of entertainment.
    If that's what helps you sleep at night...
    I sleep sooo well dreaming of Judge and Giancarlo moonshots, all thanks to the DH.

You sleep well picturing a manager standing at home plate going over a lineup card with an ump and a pitcher barely able to swing a bat.

It's fine.  We all have our faults and liking boring things can be one of them.  Hell I listen to Terry Gross. 

• It's only a few days before pitchers and catchers show up and Machado and Harper are still not signed?
    edited February 2019
    I sleep sooo well dreaming of Judge and Giancarlo moonshots, all thanks to the DH.

You sleep well picturing a manager standing at home plate going over a lineup card with an ump and a pitcher barely able to swing a bat.

It's fine.  We all have our faults and liking boring things can be one of them.  Hell I listen to Terry Gross. 

It's funny because Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Albert Pujols, your beloved Stanton just to name a few all had no problem hitting moonshots in the NL without the advent of the DH.  As did everyone before 1973.
    haha, touche. I'll clarify, I dream of Judge and Giancarlo moonshots both on my favorite team all because of the DH.
    haha, touche. I'll clarify, I dream of Judge and Giancarlo moonshots both on my favorite team all because of the DH.
    Touche, indeed.  I will eventually get used to the DH when it inevitably happens.  I won't be happy about it, but it's not like I'm gonna change it.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Dingers are good and fun
    wait I thought you were one of the OBP guys back in the day who ripped on guys who just hit home runs and struck out a lot, like my boy Ryan?  now that you have these on your team you've come around that wow hitting a shit load of home runs is good?  

the only reason pitchers don't hit better is because they don't work at it. don't blame the rule blame the players. AL baseball is awful.

pjhawks said:
    Dingers are good and fun
    wait I thought you were one of the OBP guys back in the day who ripped on guys who just hit home runs and struck out a lot, like my boy Ryan?  now that you have these on your team you've come around that wow hitting a shit load of home runs is good?  

the only reason pitchers don't hit better is because they don't work at it. don't blame the rule blame the players. AL baseball is awful.

"I want a team that walks and mashes," Cashman said. "And if you can mash and hit home runs, then you can hit singles and doubles, too. We're not going to hit triples. But we're built the way we are for a reason.

"I'm still using the Gene Michael playbook, and this is about getting big, hairy monsters that mash and are selective at the plate. There's a reason we're perennially at the top of runs scored."

Big. Hairy. Monsters