MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    And Yankees fans rejoice. Not having to pay him his salary can only benefit them this season.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,699
    jervin007 said:

And Yankees fans rejoice. Not having to pay him his salary can only benefit them this season.

Not really. Anything arod can give is better than what they have at third this year. It's gonna be a black hole as of now. It's good for the 189 plan, but I hate that plan, arod is better than what they have and anything on the free agent market
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 48,222
    norm said:

Newch91 said:

norm said:
    Canseco, just shut the fuck up. He's the reason all this shit has been going on in the first place.
    :))

yeah but arod is a bitch tit ;)
    ....and canseco was right
    www.myspace.com

jervin007 said:

Not really. Anything arod can give is better than what they have at third this year. It's gonna be a black hole as of now. It's good for the 189 plan, but I hate that plan, arod is better than what they have and anything on the free agent market
    Good point, when he is healthy he still is a solid ballplayer. Still, you remove him from the clubhouse (I assume he isn't allowed to travel with the team at all) and the team chemistry should improve. Being able to make a solid push for Tanaka is a definite perk too. Maybe grab a reliable player like Michael Young and put him at third.

I think the Yanks will be a better team without him in the picture this year, but only time will tell.

PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Bitch tit ... :D
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,877
    Whooooooaaaaaa 7yrs/215M for Kershaw. Just. Wow.

With an opt out after 5, guaranteed to hit free agency again at 32. This fucking guy is going to have sooooooooo much money. These are the kind of deals I love. $30 mil for what should be Kershaw's 5 best years. Not like the other big deals where you are hoping for a few good years and know you are going to eat a lot of money for a decline. Dude should be the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5 years.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,819

With an opt out after 5, guaranteed to hit free agency again at 32. This fucking guy is going to have sooooooooo much money. These are the kind of deals I love. $30 mil for what should be Kershaw's 5 best years. Not like the other big deals where you are hoping for a few good years and know you are going to eat a lot of money for a decline. Dude should be the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5 years.

Yep, as insane as that amount of money is, this deal make sense. Not the deals like Pujols and Cano where you're hoping for the player to be good for half of the deal.
    Nuts deal for Kershaw, but it probably work for both sides. The crazy thing is that the dodgers aren't done spending either. That TV deal has given them unbelievably deep pockets
    PJ:

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,684
    jervin007 said:

Nuts deal for Kershaw, but it probably work for both sides. The crazy thing is that the dodgers aren't done spending either. That TV deal has given them unbelievably deep pockets

Will they sign Tanaka too?

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,824
    jervin007 said:

The crazy thing is that the dodgers aren't done spending either. That TV deal has given them unbelievably deep pockets

FUCK.THE.D**GERS!!!

sorry, norm. sorry, ron.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    jervin007 said:

I'm tellin ya....people are overrating these deals.

Sure, they can spend money now, but I have a feeling those wells are gonna dry up pretty quick and they're gonna start making promises they can't keep and end up back in bankruptcy court.

jervin007 said:

Sure, they can spend money now, but I have a feeling those wells are gonna dry up pretty quick and they're gonna start making promises they can't keep and end up back in bankruptcy court.

god, I hope you know what you're talking about

:D

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    imalive said:

jervin007 said:

except the new owners are also in command of the $20 billion hedge fund...so i don't think there's much to worry about in terms of cash flow
    norm said:

imalive said:

jervin007 said:

except the new owners are also in command of the $20 billion hedge fund...so i don't think there's much to worry about in terms of cash flow
    'til they go to jail

;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    norm said:

imalive said:

jervin007 said:

And the 76ers are owned by the Apollo Global Management - that doesn't mean all resources are put into the basketball team. Just as investors are in something to make money; having a hedge fund is irrelevant based on the operations of a baseball team, nor the revenue brought in by the cable deal.
    Baseball is making record profits. These contracts aren't going anywhere.

5 years for the best pitcher in baseball at $30 mil is more than reasonable in the grand scheme of things

Fox also, is not going anywhere who is on the hook for a lot of these deals
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,396
    $30 million a year for a pitcher is absurd. the risk-reward is way too high on the risk side. every pitcher gets hurt eventually. it's bad business no matter how much money your franchise might have in my opinion.
    pjhawks said:

$30 million a year for a pitcher is absurd. the risk-reward is way too high on the risk side. every pitcher gets hurt eventually. it's bad business no matter how much money your franchise might have in my opinion.

No injury history, best pitcher in baseball BY FAR and all you are on the hook for is his EXACT prime. Nothing more.

Baseball is making record profits. These contracts aren't going anywhere.

5 years for the best pitcher in baseball at $30 mil is more than reasonable in the grand scheme of things

Fox also, is not going anywhere who is on the hook for a lot of these deals

Contracts aren't going anywhere, no, but at the rate at which they are increasing certainly will.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,396

pjhawks said:

No injury history, best pitcher in baseball BY FAR and all you are on the hook for is his EXACT prime. Nothing more.
    approximately $1 million dollars per start and $10,000 per PITCH if he makes every start for those 1st 5 years. that's a big investment for a guy who is only plays once out of every 5th day. can you commit almost 10% of your salaries to a guy who only plays once every 5th day no matter how good he is? I know he is an absolute stud but I think it's way too big of an investment.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    edited January 2014
    I couldnt handle it if I made 10 grand per pitch. I'd be out there doing the math..like, "hmm, that ball on the outside corner I just tossed was equal to 9,999 McDonalds double cheeseburgers, 8 shiney new Gibson SGs, 285 Lightning bOlt Vinyls, 133 Pearl Jam tickets, 1250 Rum n cokes, or I just paid for my internet for the next 16 years! yikes. >:)

I lie, I could handle it just fine.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    In other news - MLB replay expanded. Don't mind it at all.

the challenge system is dumb. this isn't football.
    www.myspace.com

jervin007 said:

When the phillies signed their deal I read the team will get 100 million annually. In the same article it mentioned the dodgers getting $280 million annually from their insane contract. Unless the overextend themselves by an ridiculous amount they aren't going to be feeling much financial strain, especially if they are bringing in revenue from winning as well.

PJ:

jervin007 said:

jervin007 said:

When the phillies signed their deal I read the team will get 100 million annually. In the same article it mentioned the dodgers getting $280 million annually from their insane contract. Unless the overextend themselves by an ridiculous amount they aren't going to be feeling much financial strain, especially if they are bringing in revenue from winning as well.

I know this, but to act as if that money is signed, sealed, and delivered is naive.

The way it's set up may be dumb, but at least things can be reviewed. Which is not dumb.

The way it's set up may be dumb, but at least things can be reviewed. Which is not dumb.
    i can't wait to see the first manager, who has lost his 2 challenges, lose his shit over a bad call late in a game.

are they throwing red flags? how do they challenge? i missed that detail...
    www.myspace.com

i can't wait to see the first manager, who has lost his 2 challenges, lose his shit over a bad call late in a game.

are they throwing red flags? how do they challenge? i missed that detail...
    No idea. If they get their first challenge wrong they don't get another challenge.

And I think innings 7 and on are like the last 2 minutes in a half of football.