John Mayer on Pearl Jam's fame

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    TipJammer wrote:
    Yep. I'm ok with John Mayer too. I don't bump his records but I did see him live when I worked for Sony and he killed. Everytime I see him speak he's got witty funny stuff to say and he bags some pretty sweet chicks so I give him cred for that. The fact that he likes PJ also speaks to his character.

yea i just don't get the hatin' on him. honestly, i don't really get it for anyone. no one gets big without being popular. now, one can argue talents, sure.....but even then, if people like it and support such artists, well who am i to say they don't deserve it? it's the same in any field really. beyond that, mayer is an excellent musician. and i hate when people say he copies others, or does nothing original, etc. so fucking what? (not that i even agree that's true) a great musician is just that, a musician. someone who can play the shit out of the instrument of their choice. the band steely dan employed studio musicians for most of their albums, even pearl jam uses studio musicians for instrumentation on some of their music....they ARE talented musicians! i think too many confuse artist with simply musician. as artist creates.....a musician just has to play. one can be both, but it's not necessary. personally, i put mayer in the artist and musician category b/c the boy does create. you may not like what he creates, but that does not take away from him being an artist...and it sure as shit doesn't take away his amazing technical abilities as a musician. people are harsh.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

CJMST3K wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    seems strange. he's brought up PJ's music as being great a few times.

not really.
    i think one can be a a huge fan of the music, but still question the comments of band members. he's saying he doesn't understand the mentality of it, also seems like he just doesn't *get* it. i guess there are many people out there who would not get it. seems he handles his career and his private life in a VERY different way than pearl jam (vast understatement :)) so really, it's unsurprising he doesn't get it. he is an extremely talented musician tho, no doubt....all the rest, well honestly...just don't give a shit. :lol: however, i do see what he's saying. i don't agree with it, but i understand his pov. many, many musicians can only wish for the kind of huge success pearl jam had/has...right outta the gate.

Fair enough. :D

Of course, he's coming from a place where he was writing more-or-less pop music which was a gradual incline to his success. PJ was writing more troubling music, and suddenly, boom - they are the biggest band on the planet... plus the differing personalities. So, I suppose I see how he is looking at it from a different angle.

absolutely.
    jut yet another reason why he doesn't get it. i think his pov is just soooo vastly different from pj, he just. can't. see. it. nothing wrong with that. and shit folks, he's being interviewed, so yea...he can say what he wants. and he talks too much? i have no idea. i don't do FB, twitter, read much tabloid BS, so yea....no idea. but he wouldn't be talkin' if people weren't listenin'... :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    the problem with John Mayer's comments is he doesn't get it. It's wasn't selling a lot of records that PJ was trying to stop it was the BS that comes with it: overhype, crazy stalkers, people expecting you to be things you arent. i mean at the time PJ and Nirvana were on a different level where everything was being co-opted down to their looks and what they wore - that is wholly different than just selling a lot of records.
  • TipJammer wrote:
    Yep. I'm ok with John Mayer too. I don't bump his records but I did see him live when I worked for Sony and he killed. Everytime I see him speak he's got witty funny stuff to say and he bags some pretty sweet chicks so I give him cred for that. The fact that he likes PJ also speaks to his character.

yea i just don't get the hatin' on him. honestly, i don't really get it for anyone. no one gets big without being popular. now, one can argue talents, sure.....but even then, if people like it and support such artists, well who am i to say they don't deserve it? it's the same in any field really. beyond that, mayer is an excellent musician. and i hate when people say he copies others, or does nothing original, etc. so fucking what? (not that i even agree that's true) a great musician is just that, a musician. someone who can play the shit out of the instrument of their choice. the band steely dan employed studio musicians for most of their albums, even pearl jam uses studio musicians for instrumentation on some of their music....they ARE talented musicians! i think too many confuse artist with simply musician. as artist creates.....a musician just has to play. one can be both, but it's not necessary. personally, i put mayer in the artist and musician category b/c the boy does create. you may not like what he creates, but that does not take away from him being an artist...and it sure as shit doesn't take away his amazing technical abilities as a musician. people are harsh.

What's not to get? The guy is rich. He's talented. He pretty much gets any woman he wants. He dares to say something with the slightest hint of negativity about Pearl Jam. Might as well put a bullseye on him.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Rolling Stone rarely "gets" PJ. I mean, really, "The Reluctant Warrior" "Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam return from exile"????? WTF??????
    And, remember, "Inventing Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam's Mystery Man". Once more - WTF?
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • pjhawks wrote:
    the problem with John Mayer's comments is he doesn't get it. It's wasn't selling a lot of records that PJ was trying to stop it was the BS that comes with it: overhype, crazy stalkers, people expecting you to be things you arent. i mean at the time PJ and Nirvana were on a different level where everything was being co-opted down to their looks and what they wore - that is wholly different than just selling a lot of records.

I think you're right on there and think the context of what was said by any member of Pearl Jam, particularly Ed, isn't reflected in John Mayer's comment. He didn't live in their shoes and he doesn't know what problems were caused by the fame (see Lukin). And not everybody in the band expressed the same feelings about the fame.

Also, his comments reflect someone who is more interested in being famous than being respected. Comments have been made about his musical talent mostly because most people haven't heard him play (he's talented, but I'm not a fan of his music). The members of Pearl Jam seem far more interested in the music than the fame. John Mayer seems far more interested in the fame than the music.
    pjhawks wrote:

um, yea....that's what a few of us were saying. it's not a problem he doesn't get it, he just don't get it. it IS ok ya know....;) thing is tho, perhaps he's saying...one should expect that? fame tends to make that happen, and it's been happening for famous people a long time. perhaps his point was, you've got to take the good with the bad, and if you can't accept that, well maybe, avoid it....by not writing superhits. obviously, pj probably didn't know they were writing superhits, or just how bad the fame thing could be, etc. understandable. but mayer's thoughts aren't so crazy either. said it earlier, many a musician would kill to have what pj had/has....so it's all relative. seriously, it was not a 'bad' thing for him to say; it's simply his take on the situation.

He dares to say something with the slightest hint of negativity about Pearl Jam. Might as well put a bullseye on him.

yea, you're right. i should know better. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Hahaha. You people are so ridiculous. Does John Mayer suck as a pop musician? Hell yes. Does he suck because he disagrees with a stance Pearl Jam took 19 years ago? Nope. That doesn't make him a douchebag...especially when the band has clearly tried to get some of that fame back with the last two albums. Alot of people called out NIrvana and Pearl Jam for appearing to hate being famous.

And for the record, I think his pop music is absolutely garbage. He is a hell of a guitar player though. I think he tours as a trio where they play actual respectable guitar music. I don't think Clapton will invite just anybody up to jam with him but they have played together.
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    Good on guitar...has diarrhea of the mouth frequently.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,640
    John Mayer couldn't be more of a douchebag if he tried
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    Pearl Jam did kind of "give it away." Imagine how much bigger they and "Ten" would have been if they released a video for "Black."

Plus, at the time, it was extremely unusual to not put out a video for your new album's single, as Pearl Jam chose not to for "Vs." and then "Vitalogy."
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    John Mayer couldn't be more of a douchebag if he tried

Well, yeah. I think it's safe to say he puts about all he has into it.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Pearl Jam did kind of "give it away." Imagine how much bigger they and "Ten" would have been if they released a video for "Black."

Plus, at the time, it was extremely unusual to not put out a video for your new album's single, as Pearl Jam chose not to for "Vs." and then "Vitalogy."

It's sold a zillion copies. How much bigger can it get?

I agree they pulled back with subsequent albums, but who the hell is John Mayer to question Pearl Jam?
  • God forbid anyone says anything that questions anything that PJ has done.

His pop music sucks, but Mayer can really bring it on the guitar.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    DewieCox wrote:
    but who the hell is John Mayer to question Pearl Jam?

He's a fan of the band, like you. I'll assume you've questioned one of their moves in the past
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • GS163319GS163319 Posts: 132
    pjhawks wrote:

If people would have kept reading, they'd see this part:

"I love being a famous musician but I don't like the [intimate details of my] relationship to be known. It just makes me severely, severely uncomfortable, as I believe it would make anybody uncomfortable. How did we get to where we actually say this: "Why do I watch that? It's like a car crash, you can't look away." Guess what? I look away at car crashes, and I know people who look away at car crashes, because it makes us uncomfortable to watch other people in pain."

So he questioned it in the statement directly above this, but in a way goes back and shares his point of view on the downsides of fame. He just has a different opinion on the situation. He isn't ripping them; he's just saying he disagrees. That is allowed, people.
  • I have always disliked John Mayer's music and I really could care less what he has to say. He is free to state his opinion though.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • This is kinda strange. I remember reading & seeing a few different interviews with him praising PJ and Eddie specifically. There was a video posted on here of Mayer giving a speach about how brilliant a song Betterman is. There article I'm speaking of -- he calls Eddie one of the best songwriters and describes his vocal deliverance as a bald eagle that swoops in over the music.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • again with the fucking John Mayer, huh.......

once again...

mayer1.jpg

has the passion of an......

39397336-967f-4520-a936-7b957ea82018_4.jpg
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    edited January 2010
    This is kinda strange. I remember reading & seeing a few different interviews with him praising PJ and Eddie specifically. There was a video posted on here of Mayer giving a speach about how brilliant a song Betterman is. There article I'm speaking of -- he calls Eddie one of the best songwriters and describes his vocal deliverance as a bald eagle that swoops in over the music.

well, this was already covered here. ;) why is it strange?
    why can't he make the comment he did in this article AND think/say everything you just posted? there is zero reason why he, you, me or anyone, can't think both. they are not two contradictory statements, at all.

GS163319 wrote:

If people would have kept reading, they'd see this part:

"I love being a famous musician but I don't like the [intimate details of my] relationship to be known. It just makes me severely, severely uncomfortable, as I believe it would make anybody uncomfortable. How did we get to where we actually say this: "Why do I watch that? It's like a car crash, you can't look away." Guess what? I look away at car crashes, and I know people who look away at car crashes, because it makes us uncomfortable to watch other people in pain."

So he questioned it in the statement directly above this, but in a way goes back and shares his point of view on the downsides of fame. He just has a different opinion on the situation. He isn't ripping them; he's just saying he disagrees. That is allowed, people.

exactly.
    and it doesn't matter who would utter this statement - john mayer, eric clapton, mick jaggar...whoever....i'd say the same thing.
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    edited January 2010
    JOHN MAYER?

ChangethechannelMarge.jpg
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i've always understood him to be a big PJ fan, that he loves them. a fan is entitled to disagree with some things their fave band might say or do....no? :)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,640
    I don't care that he disagrees....he's still a douche
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I don't care that he disagrees....he's still a douche
    yeah, he's clearly proven his doucheness, the fact he disagrees with PJ is besides the point lol
  • pantspants Posts: 60
    You'd think John Mayer stole everyone's girlfriend on here...
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    edited January 2010
    all-around, i am not a fan of the guys music. but his guitar skills are AMAZING. it is just unfortunate that his playing is around puffy poppy stuff. although his work with the John Mayer Trio is alot more bluesy and very solid.

and as a person...i think he is one funny motherf*cker. just check out the episode of "Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory" to see how down to earth the guy is.

he also played at my HS Prom. http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/joh ... o_the_prom
    preety nice of a global superstar to stop in a lame HS prom to make thenight for everyone there.

again...anything negative about pearl jam gets ripped to shreds. take a f'ing breath people. do you really care what he has to say? your just fueling teh fire by bitchign about it
    Post edited by jets521 on
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    John Mayers waiting on the world to change, Pearl Jams actually trying to change it.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The fact that he disagrees with Pearl Jam's stance on fame sounds familiar with a lot of you disagreeing with their new sound of "The Fixer" when it came out and how you guys hated it. Look at you now, praising Backspacer. I loved "The Fixer" when it came out and knew this was a new step for them. I loved it.

John Mayer has a right like we all do here in America...Freedom of Speech. He can say what he wants. He's a fan of the band, just like we all are. We're allowed to question and disagree with what they do.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    ashton kutcher is a fan