I'm dissapointed in my daughters school !!

mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
edited January 2010 in The Porch
I cannot believe her class has not talked about the Haiti earthquake, at least spend 15 minutes on the subject. She is in 6th grade and old enough, I think it 's important to have the kids talk about the haitians who have lost everything. We have been watching the news, so they can understand what is going on- even my 2nd grader is watching. I think its important for them to realize how lucky we are. I'm surprised the school is not doing some type of fundraiser, if each child brought in just $1.00 they would collect over $600 to donate. This would be a wonderful learning experience. I hope other schools are doing a better job.
********************************************************************************************* image
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You should reach out to the teacher to see if there is a reason why they haven't addressed it. My son is in pre-school and they talked about it (at an age appropriate level).
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to the world where schools are forced to teach a rigid curriculum in order to achieve 'results' on standardised tests. There is no time to discuss world events or analyse anything outside of the already overcrowded curriculum. Actual learning is replaced by 'coaching' towards a multiple choice or narrow test event. Don't be disappointed in your child's teacher, be disappointed in a school system hell bent on 'results' rather than learning. It is happening all over the world as the media and politicians rush to force 'accountability' via systems that have no relationship to actual learning.

Remember in most western countries, teachers earn less than any other profession and are respected the least. The problem is not the teachers, but the society that values education so little that they have relegated is to cheap child minding. I've seen parents who expect their child's school to teach manners basic hygiene and even toilet training! Every time there is a crisis in society, the call goes out to teach it in schools. Parenting for many ends at conception and then they expect someone else to do it for them.

In many schools around the world , sychophants are promoted and those who actually care enough to rally agaisnt the bullshit they see in the system are sacked, demoted or see their careers stagnate. No-one is respected for continuing a great program - you have the make change - even when change is not needed or is totally bogus.

At least the OP cares enough about what is going on in his/her child's class - many don't even care.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Welcome to the world where schools are forced to teach a rigid curriculum in order to achieve 'results' on standardised tests. There is no time to discuss world events or analyse anything outside of the already overcrowded curriculum. Don't be disappointed in your child's teacher, be disappointed ina school system hell bent on 'results' rather than learning. It is happening all over the world as the media and politicians rush to force 'accountability' via systems that have no relationship to actual learning.
    You get an A+.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    I would rather my kids learn current affairs at home. Just imagine your kids' teachers watch the FOX network. (For those out-of-towners, Rupert Murdoch).
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    I would rather my kids learn current affairs at home. Just imagine your kids' teachers watch the FOX network. (For those out-of-towners, Rupert Murdoch).

Fox is a great example of bias and persuation, of audience values, of selection in the news. It's a terrible example of 'news'.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325

Fox is a great example of bias and persuation, of audience values, of selection in the news. It's a terrible example of 'news'.
    However, millions of US population gets it's news from them. Plus, Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh. Catch my drift?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    edited January 2010

However, millions of US population gets it's news from them. Plus, Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh. Catch my drift?

Hollis - it totally agree with you. I see the Fox news feed here in Australia and I'm totally amazed people like Beck, Hannity, etal can be taken seriously by anyone. Fox and friends in the morning must be the wost thing to wake up to. I begrugingly respect Bill Oreily, even though I disagree with almost all of his views, but again, he is more rightwing bullshit more often than not. It is dangerous stuff.

They are dumming down USA and pushing a dangerous neocon agenda. The demonisation of anything intelectual or left wing as 'elitist' or as 'tyrannical' is incredible. The song Bu$hleaguer is just as relevant now as it ever was.

Jon Stewart needs to be on Prime Time in all homes in America exposing the shit Fox pump out on behalf of the GOP.
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    dont even get me started on this topic .... i have had my fare share of arguments ... about PUBLIC SCHOOLING
    it just pisses me off TO NO END ..... there is nothing wrong with pubic schooling ..its just that EVERY LITTLE EFFIN THING has to be "politically correct" ..... it has got so far out of hand its not even funny ......

:evil: :evil: .
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    and as for FOX news ....... you might as well pick up a MAD mag ...... to my its like watching a bunch of HIGH SCHOOL news anchors talk about current events .....

SIDE NOTE ......check out TOM TOMORROWs site ...he talks about this stuff all the time .. on how FOX news edits so much of its news to "swing" the attention on to someone else
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
    joe2468 wrote:
    dont even get me started on this topic .... i have had my fare share of arguments ... about PUBLIC SCHOOLING
    it just pisses me off TO NO END ..... there is nothing wrong with pubic schooling ..its just that EVERY LITTLE EFFIN THING has to be "politically correct" ..... it has got so far out of hand its not even funny ......

:evil: :evil: .

Joe, I wish I could agree with you and the heart of your arguement is correct, but unfortunately the politicians and 'educrats' are destroying public education in USA, UK, Australia (countries I've studied) as well as other places around the world.

Teachers are not the enemy, most go into teaching with high hopes, best intentions and are eager to help kids and bring out their best. Unfortunately many are worn down by systems that do not reward them for effort but for standardised 'results'.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I'll be honest. I was in the 8th grade when the Berlin Wall came down, and I don't recall anybody at school discussing the significance of that event with us so I don't think this is at all uncommon.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    edited January 2010
    I'll be honest. I was in the 8th grade when the Berlin Wall came down, and I don't recall anybody at school discussing the significance of that event with us so I don't think this is at all uncommon.

Yep, those couple of lessons discussing the real world may cost the school a couple of points on some standardised test that means nothing to anyone other than some beancounter somewhere. Shame it would do most kids a world of good to actually know something other than which celeb is currently in rehab or who they are fucking.

I remember a massive cyclone hitting our town quite out of the normal weather pattern and the teachers (I used to be one) discussing how it was criminal they could not go into their classes and teach the kids about it because it did not fit into the curriculum (even for one day). The kids were all talking about it and wanted to know why/how it happened. Talk about thirst for knowledge.

It could have been a great improptu geography or science lesson - even history. It could have been a great stimulus for creative or reflective writing. It could have been sensational for art, drama and so on. All wasted because of overcrowded and rigid curriculum.

Despite teachers' wishes and desires. much of schooling has become 'jumping through hoops' to please an irrelevant and usually punitive bureaucracy, and less about actual learning.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069

Yep, those couple of lessons discussing the real world may cost the school a couple of points on some standardised test that means nothing to anyone other than some beancounter somewhere. Shame it would do most kids a world of good to actually know something other than which celeb is currently in rehab or who they are fucking.

Well, c'mon....all that stuff you mentioned is important.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    mikalina wrote:
    I cannot believe her class has not talked about the Haiti earthquake, at least spend 15 minutes on the subject. She is in 6th grade and old enough, I think it 's important to have the kids talk about the haitians who have lost everything. We have been watching the news, so they can understand what is going on- even my 2nd grader is watching. I think its important for them to realize how lucky we are. I'm surprised the school is not doing some type of fundraiser, if each child brought in just $1.00 they would collect over $600 to donate. This would be a wonderful learning experience. I hope other schools are doing a better job.

Say something. You won't know why they aren't talking about it in your daughter's school if you don't ever bring it up.

I agree with the other posters with how public schools let us down, but there's one thing we can do, and that's being an active parent in the school, asking questions and getting to know your daughter's teachers. Get involved.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Say something. You won't know why they aren't talking about it in your daughter's school if you don't ever bring it up.

I agree with the other posters with how public schools let us down, but there's one thing we can do, and that's being an active parent in the school, asking questions and getting to know your daughter's teachers. Get involved.

There is something you can do. There are many things you can do.
    1. Get onto school boards and kick out those with pc or religious or whacko agendas.
    2. Vote for policicians who understand education and those who wont put idiots like Joel Klien (NYC District) in charge of schools.
    3. Rally against systemwide testing - it proves nothing.
    4. Listen to teachers and value their research, studies and experience.
    5. Ensure teachers' pay is higher than that of other professions so you attract the best - a classroom teacher should be paid more than a school administrator so you don't lose the best to desk jobs or end up with those who couldn't cope in the classroom being in charge of those who can.
    6. Read to your kids and value their academic achievements ahead of their sporting achievements.

A lot of parents already do this, it's just time for the other 95% to get with it.