Dear PJ. Can we break the rules & start this in 2010?

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Yes ...

9. Please respect the band's Taping & Camera policy (https://www.pearljam.com/tenclub).
Trading audience-recorded PJ shows even-up, ok. No video. Bootlegs: Selling, linking to, or making offers are not ok. 2 for 1 trades is making profit, not ok.

It's 2010. It's a new decade. Technology & art is king.
Could we change that taping & camera rule?
To something like this:

http://www.nin.com/?id=95355

1.5.10: NIN fans collaborate on massive free DVD/Blu-ray of "Lights In The Sky"

Our 2008 Lights In The Sky tour was an ambitious multimedia production on a scale well beyond anything we'd ever attempted before. Everyone involved was extremely proud of how it came together, and we were devastated when, for a variety of reasons, we were unable to capture it professionally for a theatrical or commercial release. As a "plan B" of sorts, early last year we released a massive 405gb free download of raw HD footage captured at three different shows during the tour. The idea was to get the footage out in the wild and see what our notoriously enterprising fans could do with it. There were no rules. No strings attached. This was a gift, and an experiment, and for the past year we've watched it come to life in more ways than we could have ever imagined.

Fans have edited thousands of videos from the footage, assembled their own DVDs and live albums, even held theatrical screenings of their creations. And now, the ambitious and well-organized group known as This One Is On Us have released their massive, highly-anticipated creation, Another Version of the Truth: The Gift.

For 12 months, a core team of dozens of fans and a network of thousands spanning the entire globe pooled their efforts to create this professional-quality 1080p 5.1 concert film, and have released it in every format from Blu-ray and DVD to iPod and YouTube. It combines footage from all three shows and includes DVD menus, bonus footage, a PDF booklet, and more. That something of this scale was produced entirely by fans, on their own time, purely for the sake of giving something back to the community, is absolutely unprecedented. You can read all about the project and find all the download links here, or watch it immediately on YouTube here. Theatrical screenings are already being organized, you can find more info about those here.

This is yet another example of a devoted fanbase and a policy of openness combining to fill in blanks left by old media barriers. The entire NIN camp is absolutely thrilled that treating our fans with respect and nurturing their creativity has led to such an overwhelming outpour of incredible content, and that we now have such a high quality souvenir from our most ambitious tour ever. Or, as Trent simply put it, "Nine Inch Nails fans kick ass."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    Like a fan's version of Touring Band 2000? I don't see what would be wrong with that. If it was a for-profit thing, that might be against the rules.

I'm sure if the other fan had a video you wanted, and you could work out a trade, things could be accumulated (without violating the 2-for-1 rule) so that eventually, you had enough video for a 75-minute "super video."
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Yea I wonder what good its doing the band to hold on to all that video footage of every show.

Supposedly, Ed is the one holding off on releasing his solo stuff- there professional boots are already made and video has been edited for the alleged DVD they were filming.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Yea I wonder what good its doing the band to hold on to all that video footage of every show.

Supposedly, Ed is the one holding off on releasing his solo stuff- there professional boots are already made and video has been edited for the alleged DVD they were filming.
    :?:

I meant the solo tour(s).
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    Like a fan's version of Touring Band 2000? I don't see what would be wrong with that. If it was a for-profit thing, that might be against the rules.

I'm sure if the other fan had a video you wanted, and you could work out a trade, things could be accumulated (without violating the 2-for-1 rule) so that eventually, you had enough video for a 75-minute "super video."

Something like the Touring Band 2000 DVD. Or something like the Beastie Boy's I Shot That project. It would be for non-profit fan base only. Selling fan footage for profit is against the rules.

Not sure if they would ever change minds on videos here. But with mass technology & fan base growing, it'll be cool to change some rules. There is a huge Pearl Jam fan base, and if you check youtube.com, there are thousands of live Pearl Jam video clips up there. I don't see why not a change in audio / video recording take a step forward with fans & the future.
    Yea I wonder what good its doing the band to hold on to all that video footage of every show.

Probably after they retire in their 70's like the Rolling Stones, they will release each tour on dvd/bluray or the next generation product to use to release those videos. The amount of goodies they have, their great, great, great grand kids are set for life.

Will be tough to edit Ed's solo stuff. Say do a True HD audio release on Bluray. With so much screaming &yelling @ the Ed solo show's during the '08/'09 tour he did. Skywalker Sound must be working on it for month's now editing out the audience noises on all sides of the audio recording.

I meant the solo tour(s).
    yes I got that...just wondering why he would hold on to them for so long...he could make another fortune....
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    yes I got that...just wondering why he would hold on to them for so long...he could make another fortune....

*shrugs*

I can't speak for Ed... but as a mother of 4 and being married to an interesting man that keeps life very busy.... I simply get overwhelmed with doing something about the undeveloped films that have been filling up in the plastic bag over the course of years... pictures from all sorts of events including the PJ pre-parties and meeting some well-known people like Lance Mercer are still sitting undeveloped.

I still have that video that I taped outside of the Vic show - just of the people in line...i was taping our road trip to Chicago.

I meant to upload, edit, and show it here on the board just for the fun of it... but blah. It's becoming more of just a personal viewing.

Maybe that's how Ed wants it - just for himself and not to share with people. :P who knows? heh.

But then again I don't know what goes on in that guy's mind.... *shrugs*
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    It occurs to me that in years to come they might not be touring as much and they might want to have something put together that they could SELL at a time when they need extra income.

A movie that people might want later. You know, maybe it's like a nest-egg for the future?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    justam wrote:
    It occurs to me that in years to come they might not be touring as much and they might want to have something put together that they could SELL at a time when they need extra income.

A movie that people might want later. You know, maybe it's like a nest-egg for the future?

If they release something like the Neil Young Archive collection, time to save up right now! :shock:

We got a film coming soon from Cameron Crowe.
    Still waiting & hoping that the Any Wood DVD comes out.
    Then there's those NFT DVD.

Lots of goodies. Lots of goodies for the day's ahead of us! :mrgreen:
  • mavimavi Posts: 941
    demetrios wrote:
    It's 2010. It's a new decade. Technology & art is king.
    Could we change that taping & camera rule?
    To something like this:

http://www.nin.com/?id=95355

Couldn't agree more. NIN and PJ both have in common VERY loyal, diverse and multi-talented fan bases. An open camera policy and allowing creativity free from outdated and pointless prohibitions could result in inspiring video projects and impressive archive material for fans AND the band. People love music and want to share, it's not about who's making (or not) a profit. Despite the fact so many work so hard, the NIN fan projects are 100% free. As they put it: "made in our own time, on our own dime, for every one to enjoy - FREE." What could possibly be wrong with that?
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187

that would kick ass! Turing band is still one of my favorite tapes/dvds (yeah im old school and have both) they've put out...
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    In general, most venues require a fee if a band is filming a performance, and the fee often applies if a band wants to allow fans to film the show.......this is why Trent had to be a bit cryptic when he suggested that the fans film the last show he did in Las Vegas.
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    I don't care for vids that much, I prolly watch the official DVDs once then put 'em on the shelf, and honestly, some dude holding a camera up with a bright blue screen in front of me during the whole entire show could be annoying..but the camera rule ought to be changed to allow SLR's. Point and shoot cameras are getting up there in quality/zoom capability/(and great video capture too), but I like my SLR just a bit more. And no bright live view screen to go with it.... Maybe they just need to make a tapers section by the soundboard for audio/videophiles.