Drummer on Vs. & Vitalogy

garland09garland09 Posts: 833
edited January 2010 in The Porch
What happened to Dave A.? Why did they have a falling out? I always thought he was an awesome drummer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• garland09 wrote:
    What happened to Dave A.? Why did they have a falling out? I always thought he was an awesome drummer.
    :wtf: :yawn:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    garland09 wrote:
    Same drummer on vs. and vitalogy.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    garland09 wrote:

Since the band never made an official statement about the split, a lot of the info is up in the air. Dave met Stone for breakfast one morning and Stone told him more-or-less that Dave is out of the band. Many believe that Ed and Dave were on different wavelengths; eg Dave being on the cover of a drumming magazine bugged Ed, and inquiring about which songs would be the next single, etc.

If true, it seems that Ed has lightened up quite a bit, since Matt has been on 2 drum magazine covers, and Mike was quoted recently about writing music which will be popular on the radio. It's not your grandma's pearl jam nowadays.

Maybe someone who has read "5 against 1" can chime in...
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    from another thread:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    From what I remember reading....Dave A. appearing on the cover of a drummer magazine was one of the contributing factors to Ed wanting him fired from the band. Nice to know you Matt :lol:

Just happened across this article I recall reading 13 years ago which backs-up your recollection.

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/pea ... ystery_man

"Vedder's authority was clear to all in 1994, when drummer Dave Abbruzzese was abruptly fired from the band. "Dave was too much the rock star," says a source close to the band. "He was giving cover-story interviews to drumming magazines. He was happy, he was achieving his dream. That bugged the fuck out of Eddie. I witnessed Eddie drawing mustaches on Dave's face on the cover of Modern Drummer.""

Assuming Rolling Stone indeed had a source inside the band, that means that...

This is not ok...
    daveAbruzzese2.jpg

But apparently this is perfectly fine....
    matt-cameron-biopic.jpg

l_d6080335ffee437fbf2b9f701f352dcb.jpg

:lol: Glad they're consistent. :lol:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    garland09 wrote:
    what's with the yawn and the wtf.. Maybe the op is just getting into the band. Not everyone is a rabid fan. Did you ever think of that before you throw your lame ass smileys into a posts. Least he actually asked a question bout the band unlike the thousands of posters sellers.

Dave A and ed didn't always see eye to eye on alota things. Dave wanted to be rock star and sell millions while ed didn't. Ed was going through a very dark period of his life and kurts death didn't help all to much with that.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... n801.shtml

Scroll down to the 1993-94 letting blood part
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    I always thought Eddie handled the Dave A situation poorly and cowardly. Eddie was clearly the one having issues with Dave and instead of talking about it openly within the band, he went on a silent campaign behind Daves back and sniped him out of the band. Stone didnt want to fire Dave, I am quite sure of that.

Rough period for the band, glad they survived. Eddie seems more stable and comfortable these days.
    I will swallow poison
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    metsfan wrote:
    garland09 wrote:
    what's with the yawn and the wtf.. Maybe the op is just getting into the band. Not everyone is a rabid fan. Did you ever think of that before you throw your lame ass smileys into a posts. Least he actually asked a question bout the band unlike the thousands of posters sellers.

Dave A and ed didn't always see eye to eye on alota things. Dave wanted to be rock star and sell millions while ed didn't. Ed was going through a very dark period of his life and kurts death didn't help all to much with that.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/art ... n801.shtml

Scroll down to the 1993-94 letting blood part
    I've got to defend Dimitris on this one... I don't think his two smiley faces merit the sort of response you just gave, as the smileys are there to lighten things up. In any case, thanks for the information.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    hey if firing dave contributed to the band still being around and awesome 15 years later i say "don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out abbruzzese"...

but i'm a jerk so...

(plus i loved having jack in the band and i love matt c... everybody wins...in my head)
    benjs wrote:
    I've got to defend Dimitris on this one... I don't think his two smiley faces merit the sort of response you just gave, as the smileys are there to lighten things up. In any case, thanks for the information.
    awww that's cute your defending a friend. I think dimitris response was uncalled for and does merit my response. All the OP did was ask a question and he gets a yawn and a wtf smiley. to me that's hardly lighten up the mood, but whatever. Also you are not welcome for the info.

metsfan wrote:
    benjs wrote:

awww that's cute your defending a friend. I think dimitris response was uncalled for and does merit my response. All the OP did was ask a question and he gets a yawn and a wtf smiley. to me that's hardly lighten up the mood, but whatever. Also you are not welcome for the info.

23m7tjd.jpg
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    CJMST3K wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    benjs wrote:

23m7tjd.jpg
    No matter how many times you post that, it always makes me laugh :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    awww that's cute your defending a friend. I think dimitris response was uncalled for and does merit my response. All the OP did was ask a question and he gets a yawn and a wtf smiley. to me that's hardly lighten up the mood, but whatever. Also you are not welcome for the info.[/quote]

23m7tjd.jpg[/quote]
    No matter how many times you post that, it always makes me laugh :lol:[/quote]

Agreed...that's funny as hell
  • garland09garland09 Posts: 833
    Thanks for all the info never was sure what happened there. I was watching the unplugged show and notice dave killing the drumkit and it made me wonder. Seems like it all work out alright for the guys and the fans.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    metsfan wrote:
    benjs wrote:

+1
    garland09 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info never was sure what happened there. I was watching the unplugged show and notice dave killing the drumkit and it made me wonder. Seems like it all work out alright for the guys and the fans.
    check out some more articles on fivehorizons.com and I think twofeetthick.com has some articles bout the band. Its really ashame the band has never done a behind the music special.

• Did Dave play drum on Vs and Vitalogy? Or only Vs? According to the pj info on the site he played the drumkit on Vitalogy and Jack Irons played drums?

so what album(s) did he really play the drums?
  • Did Dave play drum on Vs and Vitalogy? Or only Vs? According to the pj info on the site he played the drumkit on Vitalogy and Jack Irons played drums?

He plays on Vs. and most of Vitalogy.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    He plays on Vs. and most of Vitalogy.[/quote]

I believe Dave's drum tech actually played on Satan's Bed(?), and Jack played on Foxy Mop.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    metsfan wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    easy there tiger ;)
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Wasn't it for Playing TOO many 'Cymbals'...lol :lol:
  • i just see my calendar,,its 2010..so when someone ask where is a member of the band after 13-15 -16 year left the band ....well my comment is :wtf: :yawn: . was like hey where are u all this years.
    i dont have to explain my reactions,my posts,my sence of humor..too bad there is no place to go for some people for learn to respect what others think,believe want,answer...
    thank God im not wake up in the morning and try to find post in the forum for be mean,rude,curse all and try to be police forum..
    cheers,,ill keep put smiles,have fun,make jokes,respect all dont say bad names to anyone,..
    my life isnt a fight against people..
    love u all...,,i go this way...and NOT fuck u all
    Dimitris
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    We all know you and that your intentions here are good.. but if you have nothing to contribute to a thread then why post anything at all?? new fans will always pop up and they will ask old questions. they are not asking this to annoy you, they are genuily curious.
    too bad there is no place to go for some people for learn to respect what others think,believe want,answer...

this is where you meet yourself in the door.
    I will swallow poison
  • I think 'glorified g', being a rant by Ed against Dave's recent purchase of a gun (two, in fact), is indicitive of how easily Dave seemed to push Ed's buttons.

I read somewhere that the guns were also a reason why Ed wanted Dave out of the band, it said something about Dave not getting what the band were about and what Pearl Jam stood for. Ed seemed to see him as the antithesis of all that was Pearl Jam.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Niko80 wrote:
    We all know you and that your intentions here are good.. but if you have nothing to contribute to a thread then why post anything at all?? new fans will always pop up and they will ask old questions. they are not asking this to annoy you, they are genuily curious.
    too bad there is no place to go for some people for learn to respect what others think,believe want,answer...

this is where you meet yourself in the door.
    ok,got your point..
    what to you call a person who hangs around with a group of musicians?? a drummer BADUMDUMBISH wahey
  • satansbed wrote:
    what to you call a person who hangs around with a group of musicians?? a drummer BADUMDUMBISH wahey
    my greekglish dont have this BADUMDUMBISH wahey in.. :?: :roll:
    satansbed wrote:
    my greekglish dont have this BADUMDUMBISH wahey in.. :?: :roll:

hmm how to explain it, its this just written down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZi7tmW ... re=related
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    CJMST3K wrote:

23m7tjd.jpg

Can't you chew with your mouth closed???!!!! :evil:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    i just see my calendar,,its 2010..so when someone ask where is a member of the band after 13-15 -16 year left the band ....well my comment is :wtf: :yawn: . was like hey where are u all this years.
    i dont have to explain my reactions,my posts,my sence of humor..too bad there is no place to go for some people for learn to respect what others think,believe want,answer...
    thank God im not wake up in the morning and try to find post in the forum for be mean,rude,curse all and try to be police forum..
    cheers,,ill keep put smiles,have fun,make jokes,respect all dont say bad names to anyone,..
    my life isnt a fight against people..
    love u all...,,i go this way...and NOT fuck u all
    Dimitris
    maybe people aren't a diehard fan like you and wanna know happened to an old drummer. All the OP was asking what the fallout was between dave a and ed. Is that so wrong for him to ask a question. Hell I'm always looking for more info bout it instead of taking the cookie cutter bs that pearl jam put out about the fallout. I wasn't rude to you at all and if you take it like that you got problems and I'm hardly the board police.

Did Dave play drum on Vs and Vitalogy? Or only Vs? According to the pj info on the site he played the drumkit on Vitalogy and Jack Irons played drums?

My thoughts on the Dave A "Drumkit" versus Jack "Drums"...

I think that in addition to a personality conflict that a member or two of the band did not like how technical he played, with excess splashes, etc... and that they considered Jack more of a drum player... so they listed Dave as playing the "kit" as opposed to playing "drums". That's my opinion, but it would fit the scenario and temperment of what was going on.