Kings of Leon's popularity & Eddie Vedder...

2»

Comments

• The Rock wrote:
    And anyone who says Sex On Fire is a bad song needs their head examined. It's great to sing along to and has a great hook.

You know what else was great to sing along to and had great hooks? Disco. How did that turn out? Not well. KOL will be as irrelevant as disco in 2 years.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,438
    The Rock wrote:
    And anyone who says Sex On Fire is a bad song needs their head examined. It's great to sing along to and has a great hook.

You know what else was great to sing along to and had great hooks? Disco. How did that turn out? Not well. KOL will be as irrelevant as disco in 2 years.

There's no way you just made comparisons between KOL and disco in terms of relevance.

Ed Vedder was reluctant to put Better Man on an album because it was too poppy. I think he realises now that it was a stupid fuckin' way to look at it, seeing as it's become one of the most beloved singalongs in the band's catalogue. Songs don't always have to be dark and edgy and sound a bit off-kilter. Nothing wrong with creating a catchy song. There are also catchy rock songs on KOL's first couple of albums.

So, Sex On Fire has thrust KOL into a ridiculously bright spotlight. That doesn't mean they suck, it just means that there will be the inevitable backlash that comes when any band reaches megastardom.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    Has this band changed its musical identity for the purpose of making money? I mean THAT's selling out for sure. But just becoming popular, winning some awards - this suddenly makes them sell-outs? And not cool to like anymore? I don't really get it.

Actually - I think that's exactly what they did. I can't put my hands on it, but I read some press pieces with KOL from around the time the latest disc was released which suggested chart dominance was somewhat of a goal. Let's not ignore the obvious changes in both their musical and personal style over the last 2-3 years. This is not the same band I used to like. Sorry.
  • mjb wrote:
    Has this band changed its musical identity for the purpose of making money? I mean THAT's selling out for sure. But just becoming popular, winning some awards - this suddenly makes them sell-outs? And not cool to like anymore? I don't really get it.

Actually - I think that's exactly what they did. I can't put my hands on it, but I read some press pieces with KOL from around the time the latest disc was released which suggested chart dominance was somewhat of a goal. Let's not ignore the obvious changes in both their musical and personal style over the last 2-3 years. This is not the same band I used to like. Sorry.

Don't apologize to me, I don't even listen to them!
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    edited December 2009
    mjb wrote:

yeah they wanted to be super popular in the US.
    it bugged them they weren't.
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• mjb wrote:

Well put. These guys were Alt-Country in their first two albums!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Had they got a push from the record label early on, "California Waiting" would have been HUGE. Soooo...who really gives a shit. The new album isn't terrible. I'd like to see where they go from here.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife wrote:
    sorry i just hate it when people say shit about bands becuase they became popular on radio. Pearl jam in the early 90's was always on the readio and i was Ok with that. you can say that you don't like a band becuase the music doesn't interest you but don't say you hate a band becuase they are played on the radio alot.
    i am not a big fan of KOL but that becuase i don't liek teh singers voice and find the music somewhat boring.

Nah, I don't hate them for it. I actually think they're a cool band, and I like most of what I know from them now (which happens to be older stuff since I went looking). I just turn them off when they're on the radio b/c I'm annoyed I'm listening to them play the same song again. It's a fine line.

thats fair, for many bands i get tired of hearing certain songs all teh time. that includes Pearl Jam. there is a radio station in Toronto and about 2 a year they have a "grunge" weekend and i hate it becuase they will usually only play like 5 pearl jam songs and they are always teh same song: Evenflow, Alive, Daughter, Dissdent and then something from teh newest record. i love all those songs but i get tired of hearing them all the time.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i bloody love sex on fire and that whole album. sure it could be a completely different band, but i would probably still like that band. and say things like "gee that guys sounds a little bit like that guy with the amish hair from kings of leon".
    fife wrote:
    F KOL! I knew it was the beginning of the end when I heard Sex on Fire on the radio. These guys just look like complete tools now. Guys, take a cue from My Morning Jacket...DONT SELL OUT! Would you rather have $10 million and alienate your core fans or have $8 million and still be able to show your face at your local coffeeshop?

oh my god, do we still have the term selling out? what does selling out even mean? is it making money? is it decided that even if i like this song, i should not put in on my record because we might get popular? i guess it is better if bands put weaker songs are teh record and then release a double b-side cd with songs that were better than the records. (oh damm, i ready for the backlash)

Hold on, let me clarify...I see where your coming from. However, I think for 100% of the people on this message board, at least PART of the allure of PJ for them is the fact that they have always shunned the radio airplay, MTV videos, etc. We respect/admire that they politely say no and let their live shows do the talking. Bands such as KOL take a distinctly different route to success and for lack of a better phrase, that's selling out, no? What am I misunderstanding?

pearl jam has not really shuned radio play, they still release songs to the radio for play. pearl jam is a different band than KOL but i think 1 big reason is that Pearl jam got huge from their 1st record, where they release 4 songs to the radio. KOl didn't have the same path. just like Pearl Jam wanted people to hear their music (which is still true to this day) so does KOL. pearl jam still releases videos to MTV and Muchmusic (that a candian channel)

Let KOL find their path, their next record might be a "no code" type record. we hav eto say that just becuase you don't follow teh Pearl jam way doesn't mean you are selling out.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    KOL is a one hit wonder band, which is good because their music is terrible and the lead singer seems to be a royal douchebag. I'm hoping they go away very soon...just my opinion here.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    yield2me wrote:
    KOL is a one hit wonder band, which is good because their music is terrible and the lead singer seems to be a royal douchebag. I'm hoping they go away very soon...just my opinion here.

they have 2 hits so HA ;)
  • one hit wonder? are you fucking kidding me? Listen to their previous 3 albums besides Only by the Night. Absolutely incredible. We should be grateful we have KOL around nowadays compared to most of the bullshit out right now.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    i actually prefer their newest album (first i heard from KOL) compared to the older stuff.'

Closer...Crawl...Revelry..Notion...all great rock songs IMO.

but yeah, thanks to the radio saturation of the "hits"...i usually skip them when listenign to the album
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Loooong time KOL fan, but their recent ablum is pure bubblegum. Cold Desert is a corker and so is Closer and Crawl. Three tracks and the rest are duds (I did love Use Somebody, but blooming heck has it been overplayed).

Can't wait to see how they 'sabotage' their next album. I'd really like to see a change in direction.

And as for Caleb being pissed at Reading Fest? He was pissed because he wanted a big reaction to all of their songs, the only massive reaction they got as for Sex on Fire. That would piss me off. But, he wrote the song, he needs to lie in the bed he has made.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • anyone who think KOL are crap should listen to their 3rd album which i think is their best.

also agree with previous comments, COLD DESERT is a gem!

waiting to see if KOL's next album is a No Code or a Binaural, in an attempt to trim their fanbase
  • People need to let go of this punk rock mentality.
    I have, feel liberated.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I've heard all their albums because I have friends that are crazy about them and have tried to get me into it. Sorry, it sucks. Again, this is just my opinion here so don't get all psycho because I don't like a band that you like, but the lead singer's voice...I just can't handle, sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Also, the voice aside, I just don't see the big deal with them musically. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad musically but I don't think they're anything to get all worked up about. So for me, that leaves a so so band with a terrible singer.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    I love KoL.

Aha Shake Heartbreak is my favorite album, but I like the new one as well. I loved Use Somebody when I bought the album... now it's overplayed which is a bit sad.

But hell... do we honestly want Britney Spears and Kanye music dominating the charts? I for one, consider it a good thing that the music people are being exposed to at large is KoL.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • The first I ever heard of KOL was Only by the Night, then Because of the Times. I really digged that stuff, and that was when it first came out. It wasn't until I listened to Youth and Young Manhood, and Aha Shake Heartbreak that I realized how much they've strayed from their original sound- which I think I like a lot better. Plus, now because I'm a teenager, if I ever bring up Kings of Leon I instantly become surrounded by 14 year old girls talking about "Use Somebody", which pisses the hell out of me, because whenever I try to explain that that's not their only song and they made great music before that, they think that Only by the Night was their first album. KOL's popularity has been getting on my nerves the past half year, but I hope it will go away soon. I still classify them as one of my favorite bands, I just haven't listened to Only by the Night in 4 months... except Cold Desert, that's a good song. Really like the bass line.
    "Locking up a drug dealer isn't a deterrent, it's a job opening."
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    I won't judge their discography cuz I am not familiar with them, but that video for their hit single makes me want to hang myself. Can you say pretentious !!