Stone's pedal on Daughter

edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone know what pedal Stone uses with his Strat for the intro of Daughter?

It makes the guitar sound like an acoustic.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I always thought it was an acoustic? :shock:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I think he's using an acoustic simulator pedal (like a Boss AC-3) when he's playing his strat. I'm not sure this is the exact pedal but at least it does simulate an acoustic guitar ;)
  • For recent verisions of Daughter (post 1994), Stone uses a stra with fishman acoustic pickups. He doesn't use an acoustic sim pedal or anything. He also uses the strat with fishman pickups for NAIS.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=303127

Instead of shelling all that out, I can get the same tone out of my Mustang (with older pickups that are dying out) or with my Fender Stratacoustic.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    For recent verisions of Daughter (post 1994), Stone uses a stra with fishman acoustic pickups. He doesn't use an acoustic sim pedal or anything. He also uses the strat with fishman pickups for NAIS.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=303127

Instead of shelling all that out, I can get the same tone out of my Mustang (with older pickups that are dying out) or with my Fender Stratacoustic.

Stone originally used the Hamer Duo-tone electric/acoustic guitar. Not to be confused with the term acoustic/electric. You can see this guitar on the Daughter performance on SNL.

The piezo pickup on the Hamer is sent to its own output for an acoustic amp or DI to the board. There is also an output for the electric signal to go through his signal chain to his amp.

Stone switched to the Strat with the fishman powerbridge in 2000, and has had a few strats with this feature. Currently as of 2009 - his green strat is used for daughter. In 2008, Stone switched to the Taylor T5 series guitars for his electric/acoustic tone. They were also featured on WMA and Black in 2008.

Hope that helps.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • I always thought it was an acoustic? :shock:

I thought is was also, but I saw him play it on a Strat on this tour.
  • Thanks for all the responses. Really good information. I was afraid the answer might be more complicated than a simple pedal. I think I may try the Boss AC-3 and see if the tone is close to what I heard at the show. I'll start there anyway.
  • Thanks for all the responses. Really good information. I was afraid the answer might be more complicated than a simple pedal. I think I may try the Boss AC-3 and see if the tone is close to what I heard at the show. I'll start there anyway.
    Beware. I got an acoustic sim and it was a letdown. I also tried the AC-3 and that also wasn't the same.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Thanks for all the responses. Really good information. I was afraid the answer might be more complicated than a simple pedal. I think I may try the Boss AC-3 and see if the tone is close to what I heard at the show. I'll start there anyway.
    Beware. I got an acoustic sim and it was a letdown. I also tried the AC-3 and that also wasn't the same.
    Yeah, but of a let down, but for a live type of setting, they're not a bad option.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Yeah, that's true. They're good to have, rather than lugging another guitar on stage (especially if you don't have the room)
  • I went and test drove a Boss AC-3. It sounded ok, but not quite the same, so I didn't buy it. I used a cheap Strat with it, so maybe that didn't help. I didn't have my guitar with me, so I may try it again next time I bring it to the store.