• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    Ummm...she replied with ”just stop talking”? I stand by my statement!
    I would never say that to anyone, let alone a parent -- that is, unless the person were embarrassing himself/herself and I'm trying to prevent them from digging a deeper hole.

Her mom, a rude New Englander (is there any other kind?), says shit like that all the time, though.
    Don't think I've ever said that either, actually.  I have thought "please, just shut the fuck up!" though.

Yeah, the relationship evolves, just as your girl.  Not always easy.

Your other thread got me thinking a lot about my own relationship with my father - the good and the bad (thankfully, never ugly).
    I grew up without a father (not much of a mother either), so I’ve been doing my best to learn on the job. 

So far, I’ve made it 10 years longer than I thought I would. 

I got my first grey hair when my wife told me she was pregnant with our daughter, and I gave our marriage/family six months tops before I figured I’d be asked to pack it up.
    I’m not a parent, but based on what I know of them (and you), I’d say you’re doing just fine. 

Even those with “ideal” childhoods still struggle with their own parenting, I believe. 
    I may be doing fine, but I can't wait to be done.

I never wanted to be responsible for anyone but myself, and even that's incredibly difficult.

As soon as they turn 18, I imagine it will feel like a giant burden has been taken off my back. 
    doubt it. you never stop worrying about your kids.8 or 18 or 68. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    I would never say that to anyone, let alone a parent -- that is, unless the person were embarrassing himself/herself and I'm trying to prevent them from digging a deeper hole.

Her mom, a rude New Englander (is there any other kind?), says shit like that all the time, though.
    Don't think I've ever said that either, actually.  I have thought "please, just shut the fuck up!" though.

Your other thread got me thinking a lot about my own relationship with my father - the good and the bad (thankfully, never ugly).
    I grew up without a father (not much of a mother either), so I’ve been doing my best to learn on the job. 

I got my first grey hair when my wife told me she was pregnant with our daughter, and I gave our marriage/family six months tops before I figured I’d be asked to pack it up.
    I’m not a parent, but based on what I know of them (and you), I’d say you’re doing just fine. 

Even those with “ideal” childhoods still struggle with their own parenting, I believe. 

I never wanted to be responsible for anyone but myself, and even that's incredibly difficult.

As soon as they turn 18, I imagine it will feel like a giant burden has been taken off my back. 
    That may be true for most people, but my emotional makeup is more than somewhat different than most people's.

Their mom will probably try to keep them close forever; but the entire family knows that I'm splitting town the moment the boy graduates high school. And, of course, they are welcome to visit anytime.

I remind them of this every once in a while so that it's not a shock when I start packing my things when the time comes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

All during our teens my dad would joke that for our 18th birthday each of us would receive a ladder, a suitcase and a roadmap as present.  I think we all stayed home until our early twenties when we were kindly asked to leave and to spread our wings and learn to fly.  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

That may be true for most people, but my emotional makeup is more than somewhat different than most people's.

Their mom will probably try to keep them close forever; but the entire family knows that I'm splitting town the moment the boy graduates high school. And, of course, they are welcome to visit anytime.

I remind them of this every once in a while so that it's not a shock when I start packing my things when the time comes.
     :o 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

All during our teens my dad would joke that for our 18th birthday each of us would receive a ladder, a suitcase and a roadmap as present.  I think we all stayed home until our early twenties when we were kindly asked to leave and to spread our wings and learn to fly.  
    See, I'm making it easy by being the one who splits. They can stay with their attachment parenting mother till whenever, and I can read my books and listen to my records in peace somewhere very far away. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

See, I'm making it easy by being the one who splits. They can stay with their attachment parenting mother till whenever, and I can read my books and listen to my records in peace somewhere very far away. 
    so you're married and you intend to leave your wife as well?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Yes. She knows she's welcome to come, but she thinks that the kids will benefit from being able come home to their old rooms during college breaks, etc. Blahblahblah. I didn't have a home to go to for college breaks, and I turned out OK.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Yes. She knows she's welcome to come, but she thinks that the kids will benefit from being able come home to their old rooms during college breaks, etc. Blahblahblah. I didn't have a home to go to for college breaks, and I turned out OK.
    well this might have something to do with your daughter's resentment. if i knew my dad intended on breaking up the family as soon as i or a sibling are out of high school, i might have issues with that as well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

well this might have something to do with your daughter's resentment. if i knew my dad intended on breaking up the family as soon as i or a sibling are out of high school, i might have issues with that as well. 
    Where did I say anything about breaking up the family? My family spans from Florida to Alaska, and I don't consider us broken up.

My daughter is a twat to everyone right now, not just me. In fact, I think she's twattier to everyone else. :lol:

Anyway, she's been in therapy since 6; she'll be better off than anyone. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Where did I say anything about breaking up the family? My family spans from Florida to Alaska, and I don't consider us broken up.

My daughter is a twat to everyone right now, not just me. In fact, I think she's twattier to everyone else. :lol:

:lol:  I just love you.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

whatever you say.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2020
    My mind keeps drifting to a juxtaposition in the DotC video. When Ed is singing "outta this world", he shows round dome creations similar to art. (Artwork of Polaris?)

What the in the world is that beehive-like outta this world thing?

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,833
    tish said:
    My mind keeps drifting to a juxtaposition in the DotC video. When Ed is singing "outta this world", he shows round dome creations similar to art. (Artwork of Polaris?)

What the in the world is that beehive like outta this world thing?

It looks like an old stone hut. I think they are called chibottes. If you look up images of that it looks very similar. 
  • Options
    ^Thx GG  :)
  • Options
    I’d like - no, need - to go to one of those places where you can break shit.
  • Options
    I mean, the thing is, you’ve just gotta be nice to the people who wash your underwear; they know shit about you. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I mean, the thing is, you’ve just gotta be nice to the people who wash your underwear; they know shit about you. 
    Ha!

I eat lots of fiber, resulting in two pluses: Less TP, and I can treat my houseboy as I wish. 
  • Options
    ^Hede babe, love ya grl, I mean, human.
  • Options
    I imagine it’s not de rigeur and some may wag their finger, l but I am so sick of politics and most of what’s attached to it. 

I’m sick of sides, of anger, of innocents attacked for just being - REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR - of fucked up ideologies, of adults speaking and behaving like brats, of the self-righteous, of the hypocrites, of sellouts, of agendas, of lying.

”I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take this anymore!”

I’m think I’m due for a re-watch of Network :lol:
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    hedonist said:
    I imagine it’s not de rigeur and some may wag their finger, l but I am so sick of politics and most of what’s attached to it. 

I’m sick of sides, of anger, of innocents attacked for just being - REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR - of fucked up ideologies, of adults speaking and behaving like brats, of the self-righteous, of the hypocrites, of sellouts, of agendas, of lying.

Bitch, please. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:

Bitch, please. 
    =)
    https://youtu.be/JmquS1sULiM
  • Options
    This life.

How we surprise ourselves, let ourselves down, hurt so deeply, find strength we had no idea we possessed. How others can be our strength at times. 

May I never lose this sense of...wow-ness.

If I do, my husband knows to off me. 
  • Options
    Hehe, with Ms. Vice or more humanely?
  • Options
    Ms. Vice?

Nah, just pull the plug or Kevorkian me. I mean, if I’m that far gone, what’s the point?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So those people are rallying around your profession? That's great!

They are also, however, breaking the law.

So when they break the law, why don't you show them how great you are at your profession (the one around which they are all rallying), do your fucking job, and arrest them?

This town needs an enema!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    On my mind are stupid fuckin people .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2020
    I decided to wrap up my little ewok in a blanket as he was shaking.  Just want to share the cuteness:)
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    Are those dog step ups .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Thinking about an interaction I had with a co-worker as I was going off duty yesterday morning, wondering why I find it so hard to be assertive.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Are those dog step ups .
    Short answer- Yeah.

Long answer -  I've had to train the dog to use them by placing treats on each step to the top. It worked but he doesn't use them to get down which is annoying as I only got them as he was losing use of his back legs earlier this year. He seems ok though. I have to pick him up everytime I put him in and out of the car. He is 10 and I want to avoid losing him for as long as possible. Hopefully using the steps to get up onto the sofa will help. I dont let him jump up onto the bed anymore though and he has been better from not having to jump down.