Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    I was talking with my cousin earlier, who's grown quite close with my mom.  She said something to the effect of how we typically see our parents as our parents, vs. their own people who had a complete history prior to having children.

I always knew this rationally, but it still hit home - and hard, for some reason.

Maybe because my mom is nearing 90 (and still out and about AND driving :angry: ), I know it's on me to make peace with what I still resent her for.  I need to forgive her, as I've done for myself.  I think I owe that to both of us.
    I miss you, dear friend. Life just isn’t the same without you. 
    ((((Hugs to you both))))
    Thanks. How are you (and your mom) doing?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    GlowGirl said:
    easily the coolest rock star there ever was. the first drum off was awesome. but to write and record a song and get his kids (The Grohlettes! LOL) to sing back up? unreal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,912
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    I was talking with my cousin earlier, who's grown quite close with my mom.  She said something to the effect of how we typically see our parents as our parents, vs. their own people who had a complete history prior to having children.

I always knew this rationally, but it still hit home - and hard, for some reason.

Maybe because my mom is nearing 90 (and still out and about AND driving :angry: ), I know it's on me to make peace with what I still resent her for.  I need to forgive her, as I've done for myself.  I think I owe that to both of us.
    ((((Hugs to you both))))
    Overall, quite well.  The funeral is Wednesday morning.  My dad was sick for a lot of years and had spent the last year and a half in and out of hospital.  He never really recovered after the hospital overdosed him on OxyContin, killed and then necessitated him.  So his quality of life has been poor for quite a while.  It reached the point though that he couldn’t return home.  Frankly, he’d rather be dead then without my mom, so he stopped eating.  I salute him for his choice.  It was on his terms.  Still there are tears between the stories and laughter.  He looked so much at peace.  He was a great father and a very kind man who is remembered with love by the extended family, friends, and acquaintances.  What more can you ask for than a life well lived.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    Overall, quite well.  The funeral is Wednesday morning.  My dad was sick for a lot of years and had spent the last year and a half in and out of hospital.  He never really recovered after the hospital overdosed him on OxyContin, killed and then necessitated him.  So his quality of life has been poor for quite a while.  It reached the point though that he couldn’t return home.  Frankly, he’d rather be dead then without my mom, so he stopped eating.  I salute him for his choice.  It was on his terms.  Still there are tears between the stories and laughter.  He looked so much at peace.  He was a great father and a very kind man who is remembered with love by the extended family, friends, and acquaintances.  What more can you ask for than a life well lived.
    You can’t ask for more. Your dad sounds like he was a good man. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    You can’t ask for more. Your dad sounds like he was a good man. 
    He was 🙂
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    All I can offer are these outstretched arms and tears. ❤  -- Side hug. I promise that I'm wearing a mask. 

(I wish the huggy guy wasn't so smiley. I don't want smiley right now.)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    All I can offer are these outstretched arms and tears. ❤  -- Side hug. I promise that I'm wearing a mask. 

(I wish the huggy guy wasn't so smiley. I don't want smiley right now.)
    Lol. Smiles are a good thing. Thank you for your hugs (also wearing a mask) 😁😁😁
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    Hugs from me as well. I will be thinking of you on Wednesday morning. I am sorry that your dad had to go through this. I am glad that you can take comfort in that he went the way he wanted to. Not everyone gets that choice. It sounds like he was a wonderful man. While we can't choose our parents, sometimes we get lucky. I count myself among the lucky group as well.

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    I’m so sorry for your loss. The way you are remembering him is a beautiful thing and a clear sign of a life well lived. Hugs to you and your family. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

((((Hugs to you both))))
    cheers to your dad. couldn't be a better endorsement than from the ones he raised and left behind. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thanks all.  Lots of reminiscing tonight.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    I need help!!

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    ^^^  oh my goodness!  What did you decide on?  Everything looks delicious.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    ^^^  oh my goodness!  What did you decide on?  Everything looks delicious.
    2 mango, 2 hazelnut and 2 chocolate!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    i need a different job. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was listening to Queen earlier and thought of my dad.  He loved music, especially classical and opera.  Many Saturday mornings of my childhood found me watching in awe as he pretend-conducted orchestras while completely lost in a piece.  Volume all the way up!

I remember in the late 70s/early 80s, sitting with him and my sister on her bedroom floor, headphones on my dad, and playing Night at the Opera for him.  He was floored - by the composition, the variety of music, the layers, that VOICE, all of it.  We did the same with Led Zep IV and Houses of the Holy.  And the Martin-produced era of the Beatles.

It was so cool to introduce him to "our" music as he did with his.  It is now part of me :)

• Options
    edited September 2020
    So, the funeral service went really well.  There were many tears shed for our loss, but there was so much laughter recalling the good times and the tricks and pranks my dad was always pulling.  I managed to get up and talk and not break down so yay me.  The slide show turned out really well.  I could not determine the songs that my dad requested.  I googled the artists’ catalogues trying to find a match, but no joy.  So I ended up selecting the music, with my mom’s approval, that I thought my dad would like.  We played:  Man of the Hour (PJ); The Rose (Bette Midler); Go Rest High in That Mountain (Vince Gill); I Bid You Goodnight (Aaron Neville)and Turn! Turn! Turn! (The Byrd’s). The VG & AN songs were used in the PowerPoint slide show.  My dad loved music, and instilled a love of it into me, so I think he would’ve been happy with my choices.
    Post edited by Fifthelement on
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I was listening to Queen earlier and thought of my dad.  He loved music, especially classical and opera.  Many Saturday mornings of my childhood found me watching in awe as he pretend-conducted orchestras while completely lost in a piece.  Volume all the way up!

I remember in the late 70s/early 80s, sitting with him and my sister on her bedroom floor, headphones on my dad, and playing Night at the Opera for him.  He was floored - by the composition, the variety of music, the layers, that VOICE, all of it.  We did the same with Led Zep IV and Houses of the Holy.  And the Martin-produced era of the Beatles.

It was so cool to introduce him to "our" music as he did with his.  It is now part of me :)

This is amazing.  I started composing the post above you last night, but left it in draft because I was too tired to finish it.  I hadn’t read what you wrote about your dad loving music until just now.  So funny that we both wrote about the same thing.😳👍🙏
  • Options
    hedonist said:

This is amazing.  I started composing the post above you last night, but left it in draft because I was too tired to finish it.  I hadn’t read what you wrote about your dad loving music until just now.  So funny that we both wrote about the same thing.😳👍🙏
    I couldn’t even speak at my dad’s funeral. I envy your ability to keep it together for that. Sounds like it was beautiful and bittersweet. 

And yes, what they passed on to us, stays. We are our fathers daughters :)
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

I couldn’t even speak at my dad’s funeral. I envy your ability to keep it together for that. Sounds like it was beautiful and bittersweet. 

Man, my daughter barely speaks to me.

I must be doing something wrong.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Oh hush. She’s much like her dad...for better or worse :lol:
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

I don't know. I checked on her earlier, and it looked like she was struggling with her math lesson to the point at which she was about to cry.

So I asked her if she'd like some help.

Her answer: "Just stop talking."

Sometimes, I wish you could still slap the ever-loving shit out of them.

"Bust their heads until the white meat shows!"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Ummm...she replied with ”just stop talking”? I stand by my statement!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    hedonist said:
    I would never say that to anyone, let alone a parent -- that is, unless the person were embarrassing himself/herself and I'm trying to prevent them from digging a deeper hole.

Her mom, a rude New Englander (is there any other kind?), says shit like that all the time, though.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

I don't know. I checked on her earlier, and it looked like she was struggling with her math lesson to the point at which she was about to cry.

So I asked her if she'd like some help.

Her answer: "Just stop talking."

Sometimes, I wish you could still slap the ever-loving shit out of them.

"Bust their heads until the white meat shows!"
    my 14 year old and I clash all the time. but we still have loads of good times too. but my sister and my dad couldn't stand each other from the beginning of teenagehood until she moved out in her 20's. sometimes daughters just have some "issue" with their dads until they grow out of it. now they are super close. hang in there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    I would never say that to anyone, let alone a parent -- that is, unless the person were embarrassing himself/herself and I'm trying to prevent them from digging a deeper hole.

Her mom, a rude New Englander (is there any other kind?), says shit like that all the time, though.
    Don't think I've ever said that either, actually.  I have thought "please, just shut the fuck up!" though.

Yeah, the relationship evolves, just as your girl.  Not always easy.

Your other thread got me thinking a lot about my own relationship with my father - the good and the bad (thankfully, never ugly).
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Don't think I've ever said that either, actually.  I have thought "please, just shut the fuck up!" though.

Your other thread got me thinking a lot about my own relationship with my father - the good and the bad (thankfully, never ugly).
    I grew up without a father (not much of a mother either), so I’ve been doing my best to learn on the job. 

So far, I’ve made it 10 years longer than I thought I would. 

I got my first grey hair when my wife told me she was pregnant with our daughter, and I gave our marriage/family six months tops before I figured I’d be asked to pack it up.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I grew up without a father (not much of a mother either), so I’ve been doing my best to learn on the job. 

I got my first grey hair when my wife told me she was pregnant with our daughter, and I gave our marriage/family six months tops before I figured I’d be asked to pack it up.
    I’m not a parent, but based on what I know of them (and you), I’d say you’re doing just fine. 

Even those with “ideal” childhoods still struggle with their own parenting, I believe. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I’m not a parent, but based on what I know of them (and you), I’d say you’re doing just fine. 

Even those with “ideal” childhoods still struggle with their own parenting, I believe. 
    I may be doing fine, but I can't wait to be done.

I never wanted to be responsible for anyone but myself, and even that's incredibly difficult.

As soon as they turn 18, I imagine it will feel like a giant burden has been taken off my back. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM