Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I wanted to go into animal conservation but I think I'm too weak hearted to see all the suffering that vets see. I'd probably lose my mind.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited May 2015
    No joke that you have to be careful. You have to know how to pick them up and handle them. My daughter is a very proficient catcher, handler and sexer of butterflies. A few years ago, this is what I did:
    photo BUSTED_zpspnlh5egf.jpg
    This is about an hour after I broke it. 5th metatarsal near the base. Very loudly snapped in half.
    photo Cast accessories_zpswvskemne.jpg
    I let K and the neighbor girl decorate it. I had to add some rhinestones and because I couldn't quite reach, the polish is a bit busted. We had to go with glitter. And . . .
    photo broken foot tagging_zpscz7xhyrt.jpg
    . . . 4 days later I had to be cut out of the cast because of claustrophobia and the potential beginnings of compartment syndrome. I ended up in this spiffy geriatric gray boot for 2 months. Hey, I could take it off and my husband didn't threaten to put me in a straight jacket. Who know that I'd flip a lid over a cast?

How did I break it? I jumped up to catch a monarch and landed the wrong way. And yes, I was back out in the boot, very carefully catching butterflies. My crutches are there somewhere.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    deadendp said:

No joke that you have to be careful. You have to know how to pick them up and handle them. My daughter is a very proficient catcher, handler and sexer of butterflies. A few years ago, this is what I did:
    photo BUSTED_zpspnlh5egf.jpg
    This is about an hour after I broke it. 5th metatarsal near the base. Very loudly snapped in half.
    photo Cast accessories_zpswvskemne.jpg
    I let K and the neighbor girl decorate it. I had to add some rhinestones and because I couldn't quite reach, the polish is a bit busted. We had to go with glitter. And . . .
    photo broken foot tagging_zpscz7xhyrt.jpg
    . . . 4 days later I had to be cut out of the cast because of claustrophobia and the potential beginnings of compartment syndrome. I ended up in this spiffy geriatric gray boot for 2 months. Hey, I could take it off and my husband didn't threaten to put me in a straight jacket. Who know that I'd flip a lid over a cast?

How did I break it? I jumped up to catch a monarch and landed the wrong way. And yes, I was back out in the boot, very carefully catching butterflies. My crutches are there somewhere.

Well, that was edifying, particularly as I found out a little while ago that my mom broke her 5th metatarsal tripping over something in their driveway today. For the first week she has a splint and is totally non-weight bearing - I think they are doing that now and avoiding early casting because of the swelling and possibility of compartment syndrome, as you say. In a week if all is going well she will get a cast or aircast. So, I don't think I'll tell her it may be for two months.....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I was actually considered broken for 4 months, but my doctor let me out of the boot after 2 months because he said that I would end up having to go to physical therapy after much longer. I was non-weight bearing for 2 weeks, then he said that walking on it actually helps to accelerate cellular growth. After a month in the boot, x-ray didn't show any healing, but sub cellularly he figured that there was some. At the 2 month mark, I was released with caution for 2 months.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaysus deadnp. Who knew butterflies were so dangerous?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,473
    Happy Mother's Day!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    The Waterboys at The Showbox in Seattle on May 21st! Lucky Seattleites! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    openopenopen...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    tickticktick...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    F5F5F5...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    yay! That was easier then the Mystery Vinyl Sale!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

What are you talking about
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Going to go
    Pay bills.. Then I'm broke.. But I really want to go hiking.. Not in the gas budget though.. And I really want this job at the stables here..
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

I was waiting for an online store to open...she puts new stuff up for sale on specific days/times, and it sells out super fast, I've lost out before (like the site will get bogged down and I lose my cart and somebody else snags it), so I know to be all ready. I got most everything I wanted.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

I was waiting for an online store to open...she puts new stuff up for sale on specific days/times, and it sells out super fast, I've lost out before (like the site will get bogged down and I lose my cart and somebody else snags it), so I know to be all ready. I got most everything I wanted.
    Congrats!
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

Congrats!
    thanks! I'm pretty happy... :)

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I consider myself to be a naive person who's always determined to see the best in others. Having said that, I'm really starting to wonder about the number of these GoFundMe pleas for money I'm seeing popping up on Facebook. How is anyone to know whether they're genuine unless you know the people concerned. If you don't know them are they really expecting contributions from strangers? Maybe it's a uniquely American thing. It's certainly something that most Irish people would be deeply uncomfortable with...

I don't know if this makes me sound heartless, hopefully not as I am genuinely curious about it but also worried about the potential for exploitation. Thoughts anyone?
  • Options

I consider myself to be a naive person who's always determined to see the best in others. Having said that, I'm really starting to wonder about the number of these GoFundMe pleas for money I'm seeing popping up on Facebook. How is anyone to know whether they're genuine unless you know the people concerned. If you don't know them are they really expecting contributions from strangers? Maybe it's a uniquely American thing. It's certainly something that most Irish people would be deeply uncomfortable with...

I don't know if this makes me sound heartless, hopefully not as I am genuinely curious about it but also worried about the potential for exploitation. Thoughts anyone?

it really depends...some are used for good, some are used for bad. There was one case where a guy wanted money to publish a book about how to essentially 'take advantage of inebriated women'...at first, the funding company said it was 'free speech' but then later after thousands of people complained, they ended his campaign.

Some people want to start a business, or need money for medical services. I do agree that sometimes some people are a little 'too giving', but it's nice to know that complete strangers are willing to help out.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I think it may be a cultural difference. Looking for charity in this way would be anathema to most Irish people. That's not to say it's wrong, we're just different I guess. Maybe we're too proud and unwilling to ask for help even when we need it. Or the explanation could be even simpler, maybe our social services ensure that nobody reaches that stage of desperation. I don't really know, I'm just interested from a sociological point of view :) Hopefully this won't come across wrong, hard to explain my viewpoint without sounding mean!
  • Options
    I completely understand! My friends had a devastating fire at their house...they lost everything, their house literally exploded into flames-it burned so hot both their neighbors' homes caught on fire. There is a fund set up, their insurance might cover the house, some material things, but they still have to pay their mortgage (I know, it's silly really, they have no house anymore), purchase clothing and necessities to go to work and for their young child. I'm amazed by the outpouring of support for them.

Lots of social services here are really tied up in red tape, so some people have a hard time getting the assistance. Like medical bills, insurance really doesn't cover a whole lot-they will pay for you to get LASIK so you don't need glasses, but they won't pay for hearing aids so people are left not being able to hear well...how does that make sense?

It's okay to question certain things, it's how you learn about the world around you.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Jenny, I don't know if this will help in understanding why some (definitely not all) people use GoFundMe or Kickstarter, but you might want to check out Amanda Palmer's TED talk. You can find it on YouTube. She also wrote a book, The Art of Asking, which is also interesting. Since she is a performer, her approach/intention is probably different from others, but it might be worth checking out.

I'm not on FB, but are there a lot of blind requests for donations?

ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I'm so confused...I feel like garbage, been nauseous for over a week, been overly emotional, and a ton of other pregnancy symptoms, yet I took 2 tests and both were negative...I'm not sure what's going on with me if it's not that...I just want this nausea to go away...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I completely understand! My friends had a devastating fire at their house...they lost everything, their house literally exploded into flames-it burned so hot both their neighbors' homes caught on fire. There is a fund set up, their insurance might cover the house, some material things, but they still have to pay their mortgage (I know, it's silly really, they have no house anymore), purchase clothing and necessities to go to work and for their young child. I'm amazed by the outpouring of support for them.

Lots of social services here are really tied up in red tape, so some people have a hard time getting the assistance. Like medical bills, insurance really doesn't cover a whole lot-they will pay for you to get LASIK so you don't need glasses, but they won't pay for hearing aids so people are left not being able to hear well...how does that make sense?

It's okay to question certain things, it's how you learn about the world around you.

You see, I wouldn't find it odd for someone to set up a fund to help a friend. Perhaps it's the ones that are set up by the person looking for money themselves that have got me wondering. Then again, who's to say I wouldn't do it myself if I had no money, family, friends or governmental support. If you need money to look after your kids I guess you can't rule out any options that could help you
  • Options
    I've often thought the same thing about the fundraisers that I've seen pop up. I don't get how anyone can be comfortable asking for help like that. I don't even like asking my closest friends to repay me when I've lent them money (or more accurately, when I've paid for something such as tickets or travel related expenses using my card).
    Some of the stores are just heartbreaking and I've participated in a few with monetary and/or raffle item donations. But ultimately there's no way to know what's really gong on. My favorite are the ones with no posting history who come on here with a link and a short story.I do give credit to fundraisers over straight donations though. I've been thinking about it cuz there's a chance I might have to sell off some valuable items in anticipation of some frightening medical bills and its crossed my mind that a raffle might not be a bad idea. But yes, I'm selling the silver before it gets to that point. I think some people have this "it doesn't hurt to ask" mentality that other people can't wrap their heads around.

If I was any kind of artist I'd jump on that Praetor... Patron? What the hell was it called? Think Amanda Palmer had been advertising in a heartbeat. I feel for the creation of art it's a different ball game. If I were a real photographer I'd have no problem setting up one of them to raise money to go take pictures somewhere pretty, cuz then the backers would get copies of prints or whatever. It's effectively a sponsorship, which makes so much sense in a crowdfund perspective. There people in this world with more money than they have use for, but little sense about these things. If you're not gonna notice a thousand dollars gone and you like the music of an artist who can't deal with their label or can't get signed, or a writer with a great book no one will publish, then in return you wind up with a signed copy or a VIP ticket to a concert - I see no downside to this.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ldent42 said:

If I was any kind of artist I'd jump on that Praetor... Patron? [...] It's effectively a sponsorship...

Support Star Anna creating Music & Videos

In the theatre of ancient Greece, the chorêgos (pl. chorêgoi; Greek: χορηγός, Greek etymology: χορός "chorus" + ἡγεῖσθαι "to lead") was a wealthy Athenian citizen who assumed the public duty, or choregiai, of financing the preparation for the chorus and other aspects of dramatic production that were not paid for by the government of the polis or city-state. Modern Anglicized forms of the word include choragus and choregus, with the accepted plurals being the Latin forms choregi and choragi. In modern Greek the word χορηγός is synonymous with the word "grantor".

Choregoi were appointed by the archon and the tribes of Athenian citizens from among the Athenian citizens of great wealth. Service as a choregos, though an honor, was a duty for wealthy citizens and was part of the liturgical system designed to improve the city-state's economic stability through the use of private wealth to fund public good. Choregoi paid for costumes, rehearsals, expenses of the chorus (including training, salaries, board and lodging), scenery, props (including elaborate masks), special effects and most of the musicians. The choregos also hosted a feast if his chorus proved victorious in competition. The prizes for drama at the Athenian festival competitions were awarded jointly to the playwright and the choregos. Such victories carried prestige for the choregos. Several notable political figures served as choregoi, including Themistocles, Pericles and Plato, among others. Monuments were built in honor of victorious choregoi.

At the turn of the 17th century AD, in an attempt to recreate the ancient Greek dramatic tradition, the position was revived briefly in Italian opera, and combined the roles of impresario and director.

• Options
    ldent42 said:

If I was any kind of artist I'd jump on that Praetor... Patron? What the hell was it called? Think Amanda Palmer had been advertising in a heartbeat.

You're thinking of Patreon.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Yea the book I finished had the roman stuff in my head

whoooooooopsie.
  • Options
    Oh please let it rain today...
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    I may have possibly gotten myself banned again! All cause I don't think the same way most people do., :blush:
  • Options
    I may have possibly gotten myself banned again! All cause I don't think the same way most people do., :blush: