Options

Cage the Elephant

AnarmyofpeaceAnarmyofpeace Posts: 254
edited December 2013 in Other Music
So these guys rock live. It's been mentioned a few times on here I've noticed but I thought I'd show some more love.

I first saw them at this past Bonnaroo, 12 noon on a sunday! They were given a tiny little slot that most people wouldn't go to. My buddy convinced me to go even though I hadn't heard of them and could barely walk that early after being up till 5 am. Needless to say, I thank him several times because they were sick. The few thousand people that were there were going apeshit. If they would have had a night slot they would have destroyed Bonnaroo.

Point is, I'm seeing them for the third time in a tiny little venue next week and I can't wait.

Don't judge them by their first single, "Ain't no rest for the Wicked". I hated and still hate that song but absolutely dig the rest of their stuff. Its very punk/rock and gets your head bobbing.

If you have a chance while tickets are cheap ($15), check em out, I doubt you'll be disappointed!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I'm not too familiar with their stuff, so far I've heard "Ain't No Rest" and "Back Against The Wall", but I honestly liked both. The first was a little too radi-friendly for me, but I like their sound a lot. I see a lot of potential in them, hopefully they continue to mature and rock...they get played a lot on the radio here in Pittsburgh (well, the X, which for the most part plays good rock).
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    That song Back Against the Wall is a direct rip from that 90's song Walking on the Sun. I don't know who sang it but the Cage the Elephant chorus lines sound IDENTICAL to the chorus of that song. Only the words are different. Every time I hear it on the radio I cringe.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    That song Back Against the Wall is a direct rip from that 90's song Walking on the Sun. I don't know who sang it but the Cage the Elephant chorus lines sound IDENTICAL to the chorus of that song. Only the words are different. Every time I hear it on the radio I cringe.

If you're referring to the Smash mouth song, I haven't noticed it before. God, I hate Smash Mouth and "Walking on the Sun" though. I dunno maybe some things sound alike to some people. I think they sound like a combo of RHCP and sublime. May be a bad comparison but thats just what I get.
  • Options
    ain't no rest for the wicked is a great song, radio friendly or not. i also really like in one ear.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

If you're referring to the Smash mouth song, I haven't noticed it before. God, I hate Smash Mouth and "Walking on the Sun" though. I dunno maybe some things sound alike to some people. I think they sound like a combo of RHCP and sublime. May be a bad comparison but thats just what I get.

Yes, Smashmouth. I couldn't think of it. Probably why I don't like Back against the Wall because the Smashmouth song is godawful. It just sounds too much alike. Just judging this song though. No rest for the wicked is an alright tune and I haven't heard anything else by them.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Terrific band, great energy! Looking forward to what's next for these guys!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    Damn good band- would love to see them live
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    great band. saw them at all points west, before i got their album. i immediately rushed out and got their self-titled debut.

really great; gets too be very punky.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    really great band, I like their album, maybe the voice is a bit too scratched during live performances but they're young! :lol:
    I don't question our existence
    I just question our modern needs

** http://backpacksoul.wordpress.com **
  • Options
    Friend burnt me their cd. Really good, sound like they were be amazing live. Kinda band id like to see open for Pearl Jam too.
    Get over here!
  • Options
    Friend burnt me their cd. Really good, sound like they were be amazing live. Kinda band id like to see open for Pearl Jam too.

yes! a good warm up! :D
    I don't question our existence
    I just question our modern needs

** http://backpacksoul.wordpress.com **
  • Options

yes! a good warm up! :D

I don't know if they'd be a good opener or not. They're def a great headlining band. At this point so early in their career their shows will only be about an hour or so, so I think they could be a good opener in that aspect but it is going to be a solid hour of energy you don't usually get at shows.

I was completely exhausted after their show last week in Nashville. During the last song there was about 5 people crowd surfing around me, a trash can crowd surfing, one of the opening band members was using the rafters for monkeybars and the lead singing had the crowd lift him so he could dangle from the stage lights. Please check them out live if possible!

CRAZY STUFF!
  • Options
    My band was offered a support slot for these guys some months ago. We didn't feel ready at the time, so turned it down. It was the right decision for us...but it sounds like they would have been great fun to play with, and I daresay the opportunity will now never again present itself. Oh well!
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Another thread here about them ... I posted some pics from their set @ Outside Lands ... also some videos linked as well

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105462&hilit=+cage+elephant
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    they have a new non-album track out on iTunes called Monkey Disease. Check it out. Love these guys. And I don't like too many new bands out there.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i've only heard the two singles but was diggin them a lot. didn't want to pick anything up til i heard some other peoples feedback but good to hear. another album to add to the list.
  • Options
    and the new track is a short, intensely manic nasty in the same vein as Lukin. One and a half minutes long. Pure ferociousness.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    listening to this band again. love them still. their live dvd is awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    they are good band, haven't seen them live though. Kind of remind me of white stripes or Raconteurs
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    I really like this band as well. Saw them with the Foo Fighters in a very memorable concert. I took my kid with me and a buddy. He was super fired up for Cage who I hadn't listened to very much until I made the effort knowing they were backing the Foos and they had some significant buzz- especially from my son.

I posted this in the Foos thread, but my son got the Cage setlist. Then, during the encore, Grohl thanked Cage and pointed at them while making some remark- they were right behind us on the floor. My buddy grabbed my kid's setlist and some woman's sharpie. The band signed his setlist. Really, really cool for my kid!

Not even a song later the sound guy for the Foos approached my kid (we were against the rail). Unsolicited, he handed him a folded sheet and told him not to open it till after the show- it was the setlist for the Foos. Double cool.

Unsolicited again, the equipment guy handed my kid one of Grohl's picks when the show ended.

The entire show was fantastic, but to make it surreal, my kid walked out of that show thinking he was the cat's ass.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    The most intense show I've been to in years last time I saw them...
    Would love to catch them again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThIxjx8coHY
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    new album Melophobia is incredible.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

Have got... but I'm playing the shit out of LB and new NIN.

Driving to work today, I'll get Cage going.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Have got... but I'm playing the shit out of LB and new NIN.

Driving to work today, I'll get Cage going.

I'm already over LB and I stopped listening to NIN a while back. I find everything they release is the same old, same old.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

Shit!!! I've got tix to see them next week. Was really looking forward to this show. Hope the new guy knows his shit.
  • Options

Shit!!! I've got tix to see them next week. Was really looking forward to this show. Hope the new guy knows his shit.

he must. they already had him play with them on Kimmel last night.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095

:shock: :o
    What?! Wow.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    just saw this, shocked as well.
    did you see me? i saw you.