Options

Cage the Elephant on Letterman last night?

May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,658
edited September 2009 in Other Music
Did anyone check out their performance last night of "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked?" Seems like a pretty rockin band. The singer looked like he was going to pass out at some point; great energy though and I am thinking of seeing them with Silversun Pickups in Calgary next month. Anyone seen Cage before? Let me know what you think. (PJ in a week in Calgary!!!!!!! Let's hope for some Backspacer tunes!!!!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    I've been following them for the last a few months. Pretty much since like the beginning of Spring. They rock pretty hard. I like them a lot. On top of that, they are Kentucky boys.
    I happen to like some other Kentucky boys who rock hard too :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    as stated in other threads ... I saw them at a small bar up the street from me a few months back (Cafe Du Nord) ... they put on one hell of a hard rockin, ass shaking freak fest fun show.

As good as they sound on one of these shows or on the album, I think they're a must to check out live, preferably in a small club.

Will be seeng them at Outside Lands again for sure.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    kindof like a jack white / beck hybrid as far as sound... have been hearing alot about them for awhile but didnt hear any of their stuff until yesterday on dave... the lead singer was kindof a spaz... i didnt think his energy was well spent or fun to watch... not to mention that cabbage patch haircut he had... and the song kindof just dragged on without enough variation for my taste... other than that though their sound was pretty good... ill have to check out their album to get a better idea
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

and I am really bummed that I missed that Cafe Du Nord show.

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

It was a rockin' show ... crammed and bumpin'.

We hung out with them after the show ... the lead singer was a wee bit full of himself (admittedly, he just got off stage and was probably still in "show mode"), but the guitarist who is the lead singer's brother, was stunningly appreciative to chat. Oh, and he's only 18 fucking years old, there with his wife ... ahhh Kentucky.

Nice guys.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    That singer looks like he has a movement disorder.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i just saw them yestarday at all points west and they ROCKED. they went on at 2:15 and were a great way to start of the day.

they're really enthusiastic and the singer is nuts. their set started pretty smooth and rocking, and then just got really punk! it was awesome. i suggest checking them out.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    ahydellahydell Rocky Mtn High Posts: 40
    cage is good. a friend just gave me the disc and i really like it.
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    DocChicago wrote:
    That singer looks like he has a movement disorder.

or on speed.

i like their music thou.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    I heard their song no rest for the wicked on the radio and picked up the album. One of the better albums out there in my opinion, especailly compared to the rest of the crap. Been wanting to see them live but they aren't playing anywhere around where I am for quite a while.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    They are opening for Dan Auerbach at Schubas in Chicago for an after Lolla show. Really looking forward to Auerbach but Im on the fence about these guys. The lead singer looks like he needs his ass kicked just to show him some perspective.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

It was a rockin' show ... crammed and bumpin'.

We hung out with them after the show ... the lead singer was a wee bit full of himself (admittedly, he just got off stage and was probably still in "show mode"), but the guitarist who is the lead singer's brother, was stunningly appreciative to chat. Oh, and he's only 18 fucking years old, there with his wife ... ahhh Kentucky.

Nice guys.

Wow great story! (see? our taste in music meets somewhere somehow :D)

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    random thread resurrection!

a friend of mine just lent me their album and man i think its freaking awesomesauce!

they remind me of Kings of Leon before Only by the night.

i cant stop listening to it!
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:

But I know ... you'll never hang with me at a Ted Leo concert, that's for sure.

And I will not be standing anywhere near you for MMJ this weekend. :D

Cage goes on stage at 12:45 on Sunday @ Ouside Lands, I really hope the early time doesn't throw them off ... the good thing is, the crowd will be filled with the people that really want to see them.

• Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    They played two shows in Vancouver on the 18th and 19th, but I had an early flight out to Toronto on the 19th and couldn't go to the shows. Hopefully they come back here soon.
  • Options
    From Outside Lands Festival ...

CTE-1.jpg

CTE-2.jpg

CTE-3.jpg

CTE-4.jpg

CTE-5.jpg

CTE-6.jpg

• Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    How were they in San Francisco?
  • Options
    How were they in San Francisco?

The Outside Lands Festival is in San Francisco ... those pics I posted are my pics from today. 8-)

They kicked some serious ass.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

But I know ... you'll never hang with me at a Ted Leo concert, that's for sure.

And I will not be standing anywhere near you for MMJ this weekend. :D

Cage goes on stage at 12:45 on Sunday @ Ouside Lands, I really hope the early time doesn't throw them off ... the good thing is, the crowd will be filled with the people that really want to see them.
    Dude, you didn't take the brown acid did you? What MMJ are you talking about? They weren't at OSL. Cage The Elephant on the other hand kicked major ass. I actually saw the frontman walking around after Dead Weather's set and thanked him for making me so proud (Kentucky connection).
    How about that Dead Weather by the way?! Jack sure knows how to pick them :)

It would have been cool to put a face on the posts. Were you by yourself or with other people?

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Dude, you didn't take the brown acid did you? What MMJ are you talking about? They weren't at OSL. Cage The Elephant on the other hand kicked major ass. I actually saw the frontman walking around after Dead Weather's set and thanked him for making me so proud (Kentucky connection).
    How about that Dead Weather by the way?! Jack sure knows how to pick them :)

It would have been cool to put a face on the posts. Were you by yourself or with other people?

Sorry, I got the Mars Volta and MMJ mixed up. No brown acid for me.

Cage rocks ... I really hope they aren't a one album wonder.

Let me find a Dead Weather thread and I'll post some pics ... they were fantastic!

Friday I was there all by myself for the day time, then had friends come for PJ ... not that I ever found them in the masses. Sat and Sun I was with my girl.

• Options
    We would have found you a spot right behind the rail had you come over. Mike's side was actually pretty mild except for one asshole and two drunk chicks. We had a good group of people who have known each other over the years from many shows. It was great to see some of the faces again after many years. There were also some new people I got to meet during this show. Afterwards, we went to Tee-Off and played Pearl Jam for like three hours. I'm sure a lot of people were annoyed by that :P

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    We would have found you a spot right behind the rail had you come over. Mike's side was actually pretty mild except for one asshole and two drunk chicks. We had a good group of people who have known each other over the years from many shows. It was great to see some of the faces again after many years. There were also some new people I got to meet during this show. Afterwards, we went to Tee-Off and played Pearl Jam for like three hours. I'm sure a lot of people were annoyed by that :P

I took this shot before Built To Spill, from Mike's side ... any of you guys in this shot?

Hilarious how Doug just sat there with his guitar for 20 or so minutes alone before they played.

BTS-4.jpg

I *had* to go watch The National at a different stage at 5:00, so, I didn't stay that close, but, I thought about it. I ended up only 15 rows back on Mike's side for PJ ... btw, what as up with the Swedish Chef on a ski pole? I assume you know what I'm tlaking about.

• Options
    the show with them opening for Silversun in Winnipeg was sold out, so couldn't get tickets. I was so bummed, I so wanted to see these guys. Another reason to love the iTunes free track of the week! That's how I discovered these guys!!!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

Sorry, I got the Mars Volta and MMJ mixed up. No brown acid for me.

Mars Volta kicked some major ass too. God, you know me way too well for someone whom I've never met before :D How did you know I'd be a fan of Mars Volta? :D

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    HoosiersHoosiers Indiana Posts: 189
    Ok, be honest with me about this band.

I think "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" is just terrible, really, really bad...no way it will ever grow on me type of song. Enough for me to not check out anything else by them.

How would you describe the rest of the album?

Maybe they just aren't for me.
    Hoosiers wrote:
    Ok, be honest with me about this band.

I think "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" is just terrible, really, really bad...no way it will ever grow on me type of song. Enough for me to not check out anything else by them.

How would you describe the rest of the album?

Maybe they just aren't for me.

That tune is actually one of the more bluesy songs, they have a few more that are far more punkish ... don't have a lot to choose from on youtube, but, I pulled some live ones out as well.

Tiny Little Robots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THWMlZMj8dQ
    here it is live .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i1q60IvgDg

Free Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSiYdm7V ... re=related
    here is is live - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hTMjRihsM

Sabertooth Tiger (always killer live) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD_GVurGIJQ
    Here was the freak scene at Outside Lands ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLvWXXmynL8

in One Ear on Jools Holland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvmQXQ2I ... L&index=17

• Options
    new videos up at OSL's youtube site ...

you can even spot a jammin' Jimed14 in this one! :D

http://www.youtube.com/outsidelands#pla ... d70EtvKf30

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

I took this shot before Built To Spill, from Mike's side ... any of you guys in this shot?

Hilarious how Doug just sat there with his guitar for 20 or so minutes alone before they played.

BTS-4.jpg

I *had* to go watch The National at a different stage at 5:00, so, I didn't stay that close, but, I thought about it. I ended up only 15 rows back on Mike's side for PJ ... btw, what as up with the Swedish Chef on a ski pole? I assume you know what I'm tlaking about.

Damn, it seems like everyone was on mike's side. we were on stones side about 8 deep. anyway, Cage rocks and the lead singer is a bit nuts. Going to see them and silversun pickups (not sure whos opening for who) next month. After seeing both rock out at osl i'm quite stoked.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    We were on Mike's side and had a blast with him all throughout the show. I'm not shittin' you, for the bigger part of the show, we simply forgot to look at the frontman and continued kickin' it with the axeman over there :D
    We loved it and I know he LOVED it too!!

#standingman #duranadam