Options

inside ticketmasters empire RS 7/09 article

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
edited July 2009 in Other Music
anybody read it?
what did you think?

why don't concert go-ers boycott shows to lower prices?

scroll down for a link to article.
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    here’s part of it. http://ablogaboutthings.com/2009/07/eco ... aster.html

also it tells how much the first concert tickets cost. Like in the 70’s I think? Tells how the crap just snow balled out of control. Tells how that motherfucker ‘convince charge’ started too.

• Options
    toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    No matter how hard we (the fans) try to "boycott" ticketmaster it just is too hard to do. Since they control the tickets for most the larger venues the bands sort of need to use them. If we try to boycot them on priciple the "fair weathered concert fan" will swoop in and buy the tickets without even thinking the fees etc are outrageous.

I think we'd all love to "stick it to the man" but its a very difficult battle that even bands have tried to over take and not had much luck.

Not saying I approve, but there are other things I need to worry about.
  • Options
    i hear ya

but how high will prices go before there is something done about it?

• Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I don't usually go to big gigs anymore (I buy all my tickets at my local record store), unless it's something I really NEED to see.

But sometimes, it's just impossible to bypass Ticketmaster. For this summer, I got shut out of the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction pre-sale and had to go through Ticketmaster. Same with Pearl Jam. I was in hospital for the duration of the fan club pre-sale so I missed out on that. Had to go with TM again. I don't like it, but I wasn't prepared to miss those bands just to "stick it to the man".

I fucking hate the 'convenience charge' though.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Yielded wrote:
    I don't usually go to big gigs anymore (I buy all my tickets at my local record store), unless it's something I really NEED to see.

But sometimes, it's just impossible to bypass Ticketmaster. For this summer, I got shut out of the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction pre-sale and had to go through Ticketmaster. Same with Pearl Jam. I was in hospital for the duration of the fan club pre-sale so I missed out on that. Had to go with TM again. I don't like it, but I wasn't prepared to miss those bands just to "stick it to the man".

and now they have 'processing fees' and other shit, too!

it's like if you buy 2 tickets all the fees add up to almost a 3rd ticket
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Yielded wrote:

and now they have 'processing fees' and other shit, too!

it's like if you buy 2 tickets all the fees add up to almost a 3rd ticket

Yeah, it's ridiculous. The various fees on the NIN ticket represented a third of the final price I ended up paying.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    To be honest with you, I don't have a problem with Ticketmaster's general business model. We live in a capitalistic society and essentially encourage this behavior. I don't have a problem necessarily with Ticketmaster making money. However, I consider the amount of money it charges to be totally out of whack.

Ticketmaster should be able to charge "fees" in order to recoup all of their infrastructure capital investments and to make a profit. However, I don't understand why they make some fees proportional to the face value of a ticket. Ticketmaster is convenient (I don't think anyone can argue that point), but why charge more for "convenience" on a $50.00 ticket compared to a $100.00 ticket? Ticketmaster's fees should be a reasonable, flat rate per ticket (regardless of face value).

I don't understand the TicketFast fee at all. You would think that they would make this service free and charge for the mailing of physical tickets.

I do find fault with Ticketmaster for its inability to do anything of substance to thwart scalping. Ticketmaster would generate a lot of goodwill from the general public if people thought that they legitimately had an equal chance at the best seats when they go on sale.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    To be honest with you, I don't have a problem with Ticketmaster's general business model. We live in a capitalistic society and essentially encourage this behavior. I don't have a problem necessarily with Ticketmaster making money. However, I consider the amount of money it charges to be totally out of whack.

Ticketmaster should be able to charge "fees" in order to recoup all of their infrastructure capital investments and to make a profit. However, I don't understand why they make some fees proportional to the face value of a ticket. Ticketmaster is convenient (I don't think anyone can argue that point), but why charge more for "convenience" on a $50.00 ticket compared to a $100.00 ticket? Ticketmaster's fees should be a reasonable, flat rate per ticket (regardless of face value).

I don't understand the TicketFast fee at all. You would think that they would make this service free and charge for the mailing of physical tickets.

I do find fault with Ticketmaster for its inability to do anything of substance to thwart scalping. Ticketmaster would generate a lot of goodwill from the general public if people thought that they legitimately had an equal chance at the best seats when they go on sale.

it may be convenient but it many cases it is your only option other than ebay or some other scalping type site...sometimes you can't even buy from the venue's box office, only through ticket master. then it goes from being convenient to a monopoly.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Capitalistic society…..blah blah, blah……but yeah, that’s what I was going to say, a monopoly on anything isn’t good.

• Options
    Ok, I scanned it. I really don’t have much invested on this topic. I don’t expect things to change overnight. I don’t expect to change anybody’s opinion. I just think people should have a perspective on what’s been happening. We as ticket buyers have been getting fucked in the ass for years and you better hold on to your panties because it’s just going to get worse. ….but nobody can do anything about it, right?

http://www.ivykennedy.com/trash/RS7.09.htm