Options

Replacement pickups questions

dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do you guys feel about epiphone humbuckers, and the few humbuckers guitar fetish sells? Anyone have any words to help me?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    They are garbage.

What type of sound are you looking for?

I am a sucker for:
    Dimarzio Evo's (Steve Vais signature pickup) Bridge and Neck options
    Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon (George Lynch's signature pickup) Bridge
    Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck/bass position. I get the 4 conductor option because I use a coil tap on neck pickups to clean up the sound.

EMG 81 bridge
    EMG 60 neck

I like to play loud rock, hard rock, metal. There are other options that people really like but it depends on what type of sound you are looking for. The pick ups above are very hot (except the '59 and 60, but still have a nice full body sound). Take a look at Duncans website, Dimarzio's website, and EMG's. PRS makes some nice pickups but they are pricy. Good luck.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
    I have two Schecter PT Teles. I put Fender Blackout humbuckers in one, whice i really dislike. For the other PT i put in Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker set whice is a JB in the bridge and a SH-4 Jazz in the neck. I fucklin love the PT withe the new Duncans. Sounds like a totally new guitar.
  • Options
    So I've changed the pickups on a few different guitars and have had great success with Jason Lollar's stuff. I replaced the gibsons in my LPC with his imperials and put a set of P90s in a jazzmaster. both with phenomenal results. Great stuff. It just depends on what sound you're after really. Most of his are geared more towards rock/blues. If you want something really high gain for metal etc, go with the EMGs.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Without a doubt, Fender has made some of the worst humbuckers for sale on any guitar ever. They have the notable exception of the Seth Lover-designed Wide-Range Humbucker of the the early 70s, but I've not been impressed with any of the Fender standard humbuckers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with GFS pups. I've always been curious, but since the prices are only slightly cheaper than Seymour Duncan, I've passed. Seymour is a much better-known pup manufacturer, and I trust the info on their website to be pretty accurate. I've had a few pups from him that I didn't care for, but I've always felt like the product was good.

Epiphone's stock pups are pretty much basic Gibson designs made to much lower-quality specs. I've seen Epi HBs that sounded great, and I've heard some that were microphonic on the showroom floor. My old Epi Les Paul still has the stock neck pup, because I am pretty happy with the way that it sounds.

As for other recommendations, Lollar or Fralin make great stuff. Gibson sells humbuckers separately, and they are good as well. WCR, Bare Knuckle, Joe Barden, Rio Grande, Kinman, Harmonic Design... There are entirely too many great pickups on the market. If you can really hone in on what you are looking for, there is somebody making the pup to get you there. The hard part is deciding what you are looking for.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.