Options

03/13/94 - New Regal Theater: Chicago, IL

SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
edited February 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
Was anyone at this show? A friend of mine said that the show was a dangerous one. What happened?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I was at this show. In fact, I had 5th row seats. The reason why your friend said it was dangerous was probably because Eddie Vedder climbed up onto a stack of speakers and used an exit sign to climb from the stack to a ledge on the wall off to the side of the theatre. He was pretty high up and was directly above me. Sure enough, he stepped off the ledge backwards, stagediving into the fans below. He landed right on top of me and it actually hurt my wrist to catch him, but it was pretty exciting, especially since I was a freshman in high school at the time and in love with Pearl Jam. A few weeks later there was a column in Rolling Stone Magazine in which the author reviewed the show and made note of the fact that the throng of fans below Eddie's perch upon that ledge represented more of a danger than the height of the jump itself. That was me!!!
  • Options
    SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Based on looking at the height involved in some of those jumps, I've often wondered how many people got injured from having Eddie landing on them.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I was at this show. In fact, I had 5th row seats. The reason why your friend said it was dangerous was probably because Eddie Vedder climbed up onto a stack of speakers and used an exit sign to climb from the stack to a ledge on the wall off to the side of the theatre. He was pretty high up and was directly above me. Sure enough, he stepped off the ledge backwards, stagediving into the fans below. He landed right on top of me and it actually hurt my wrist to catch him, but it was pretty exciting, especially since I was a freshman in high school at the time and in love with Pearl Jam. A few weeks later there was a column in Rolling Stone Magazine in which the author reviewed the show and made note of the fact that the throng of fans below Eddie's perch upon that ledge represented more of a danger than the height of the jump itself. That was me!!!

welcome to the board. even if you made this up, its a great story
  • Options
    doorsjamdoorsjam Posts: 38
    I was at this show too although not lucky enough to get on the floor.

It was weird the boys were playing a little jam and Eddie was no where to be seen. Then all the sudden someone shines a light on the wall and there is Eddie spiderman style pulling up on this little exit sign. Then he gets to this balcony that I think was just decorative. He looks down and stands back up and then just falls with every faith in the world that the fans will catch him.

It was an amazing moment and 13 yrs later I still vividly remember it. It was my first show and my life hasnt been the same since :)
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/cassidyconway

Chicago-Regal Theatre 3/10/94
    Milwaukee Summerfest-7/08/95
    Chicago-Soldier Field-7/11/95
    East Troy-Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 10/08/00
    Chicago-United Center 5/17/06
  • Options
    DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
    I was there too, and the only thing I can think of that was even remotely dangerous was Ed jumping off the balcony, like everyone else said.

I was a sophomore in high school and it was also my first PJ show, after obsessing about them for 2 years before that.

What a night, I loved it.

EDIT: oh yeah, I had third row, Mike's side.
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • Options
    sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    I downloaded the bootleg for this show because i noticed 'angel' was played for the encore. During which song did Ed jump into the crowd?
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    surely it wouldnt hurt that much ed landing on u. He is pretty small, these days i would say he would weigh no more than 70kgs, that weight divided by several ppl puttin hands up to stop him u might cop a few kgs each.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    swtlewswtlew Posts: 71
    I was 2nd row center. Ed dove/Nestea plunged during Porch. My second show. The other dangerous thing about the show was where the theater is. It was a recently rehabbed theater on the far south side of Chicago. A very scary place to be if you were lost. The story of the jump is right on. Another funny story about this...

I was leaving a Sheffield rooftop many years ago during the 7th inning of a Cubs game when walking solo down the street is the recently black-haired, except for the blonde streak, Ed. I said "Hey Ed" and he came right over and we walked down the street together unimpeded by others since he wasn't easy to recognize. I told him the story of being in Kingston Mines (Chicago Blues Bar) and running into Magic Slim (of the Teardrops), who opened for PJ at the New Regal, in the bathroom. I asked Slim how that happened. He said, "That's a funny story. We were doing a show at Blues, etc. and after our set this little guy was hanging out having a drink staring at us. I finally said hey, can I help you? He said he just wanted to tell us what a great show it was and buy me a drink. So I told him I'd have a shot of Wild Turkey which was brought over to me but then he still didn't leave. I pulled him over and asked if there was anything else I could do for him. He said his name was Ed and he was in a band called Pearl Jam and he was hoping we could open a show for them at the New Regal Theater the next day. I didn't know nothing about no Pearl Jam but asked him how much he would pay us. Ed said $700 for 40 minutes. That's pretty good money for 40 minutes but he also said they had played the Chicago Stadium a couple nights before so I said that if he threw in a bottle of Wild Turkey they had a deal. And you know what, those boys from Pearl Jam are all right. When we came off stage after our set they had TWO bottles of Wild Turkey for us!!!" Ed laughed and said that is exactly how it happened and that he had the napkin "contract" that he made with Slim that night framed on the wall of his Wrigleyville condo. In parting, I had to pick up my daughter, Ed said, "Thanks for listening to our music" and headed over to a vendor stand to check out the Cubs paraphernalia.
    I want to rock and roll all night, and part of every day. - M. McCready
  • Options
    DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
    swtlew wrote:
    I was 2nd row center. Ed dove/Nestea plunged during Porch. My second show. The other dangerous thing about the show was where the theater is. It was a recently rehabbed theater on the far south side of Chicago. A very scary place to be if you were lost. The story of the jump is right on. Another funny story about this...

I was leaving a Sheffield rooftop many years ago during the 7th inning of a Cubs game when walking solo down the street is the recently black-haired, except for the blonde streak, Ed. I said "Hey Ed" and he came right over and we walked down the street together unimpeded by others since he wasn't easy to recognize. I told him the story of being in Kingston Mines (Chicago Blues Bar) and running into Magic Slim (of the Teardrops), who opened for PJ at the New Regal, in the bathroom. I asked Slim how that happened. He said, "That's a funny story. We were doing a show at Blues, etc. and after our set this little guy was hanging out having a drink staring at us. I finally said hey, can I help you? He said he just wanted to tell us what a great show it was and buy me a drink. So I told him I'd have a shot of Wild Turkey which was brought over to me but then he still didn't leave. I pulled him over and asked if there was anything else I could do for him. He said his name was Ed and he was in a band called Pearl Jam and he was hoping we could open a show for them at the New Regal Theater the next day. I didn't know nothing about no Pearl Jam but asked him how much he would pay us. Ed said $700 for 40 minutes. That's pretty good money for 40 minutes but he also said they had played the Chicago Stadium a couple nights before so I said that if he threw in a bottle of Wild Turkey they had a deal. And you know what, those boys from Pearl Jam are all right. When we came off stage after our set they had TWO bottles of Wild Turkey for us!!!" Ed laughed and said that is exactly how it happened and that he had the napkin "contract" that he made with Slim that night framed on the wall of his Wrigleyville condo. In parting, I had to pick up my daughter, Ed said, "Thanks for listening to our music" and headed over to a vendor stand to check out the Cubs paraphernalia.

That is an awesome story.
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • Options
    pj14pj14 Posts: 105
    my second pj show my first was the stdium thenalso not counting lolla 92. i was in like the 9th row. then when ed jumped from the balcony i went to catch him but my foot got stuck in a movie theater type seat so instead after he fell i went up to the center of front row and some guy maybe michael goldstone gave me the set list! oh does anyone have this video ive been looking for it since all these years i got the audio. thanks this was onna of the best shows i also met drunk fun mikey dave jeff and stone after the show fun times good memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one of the best shows
  • Options
    can someone hook me up with a torrent for that show? i'd love to give it a listen after all these years.
  • Options
    can someone hook me up with a torrent for that show? i'd love to give it a listen after all these years.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k5al87 Part 1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yd206t Part 2

Not my links but they work. Thanks to bostonjim.
  • Options
    I was at this show as well. Does anyone know if it was ever released through 10c?
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Anyone catch one of the "cheap ones" t-shirts mike was throwing out? I did. Unfortuanetly I didnt take care of much back then and trashed it. Had upper level tix and found myselft 10 rows back in the aisle for more than half the show. 79th and Stoney Island..suburban kids dont go there...well only for pj..ahahaha
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I believe the frogs opened the regal..maybe magic too..I dont remember.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"