Options

New PJ - one opinion

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
edited July 2013 in The Porch
I know someone who has heard some of the new PJ music and here is this person's take on it. It's not a lot more than what has been posted from Australian and South American media, but it's from someone I know and I trust their excitement and knowledge of the band.

His quick review made me all giddy about new PJ music. I just love that feeling. So I wanted to share it with all of you. I love this band. God how I love this band. :D

Mind Your Manners is REALLY fast. Fastest song they've had in 15 years. Maybe inspired by the Ramones and definitely reminiscent of Spin The Black Circle.

And then Sirens. Wow. Epic song. 5 minutes long. Lots of piano. Soaring vocals. Really layered sound. Some effects on Mike's guitar. I loved it!!

I didn't get the name of the 3rd song, but I liked it, too. Not as much as the first two, but a good, solid PJ tune.

Heard Mind Your Manners twice - it will be the first single.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    Very cool to hear. There is nothing like new PJ and damn its been way too long. I just love those first few listens through the album, sitting with the artwork/liner notes examining every little thing. If this thing leaks I'm going to try real hard not to spoil it for myself like I did with the last 3. I'm getting so excited :D
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    sounds like we're talking crack rock fast. cool.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Goatboy wrote:
    Very cool to hear. There is nothing like new PJ and damn its been way too long. I just love those first few listens through the album, sitting with the artwork/liner notes examining every little thing. If this thing leaks I'm going to try real hard not to spoil it for myself like I did with the last 3. I'm getting so excited :D

Good luck with that. By the time Backspacer was released physically I was already over the initial excitement. :cry: I remember coming home from target and setting the cd down and thinking 'ok, now what?' Not a good feeling, I will try my hardest to not listen to any snippets relentlessly over and over again or whenever the band releases it online a week before like last time.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    I don't have expectations. Expectations in your life just lead to giant disappointments. - Michael Landon
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,589
    Yes, must resist the urge to listen before getting the physical copy. I'm anticipating this one big time and I have to try not to wear out the single before the album is released, puts a damper on listening to the whole thing over and over.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,991

And then Sirens. Wow. Epic song. 5 minutes long. Lots of piano. Soaring vocals. Really layered sound. Some effects on Mike's guitar. I loved it!!

This alone would make it better than Backspacer.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,589
    JimmyV wrote:

Yep, really hoping for some fine musical quality this time around.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,367
    Yes, must resist the urge to listen before getting the physical copy. I'm anticipating this one big time and I have to try not to wear out the single before the album is released, puts a damper on listening to the whole thing over and over.

Nah albums have leaked early online since the late 90s (I think Yield is one of the first one's I recall). It's now part of my ritual. Hear the first single on the radio, grab the leaked version, then buy it on release day (or now its order it off the internet and have it arrive a week after release day if you want the free shipping.... haha).

You can't really avoid listening to a new single, but I won't listen to clips in advance. I'll wait until I have the whole album then give it a listen.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,504
    So this puts to bed the BS Tides and Echoes tracklistings.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited July 2013
    So this puts to bed the BS Tides and Echoes tracklistings.

I thought the same thing. And the "Maybe" setlist. So we know now that there is a song called "Siren" and a piano piece of aprox. 5 minutes. Sounds interesting. What I do wonder though: how can someone make a statement re. Vitalogy after hearing only four songs???

Edit: Vitalogy comment was made in the "Countdown" thread (page 16).
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    :corn: no, really - don't get up. I'll get you a refill! :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728
    JimmyV wrote:

And LONGER!
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484

And then Sirens. Wow. Epic song. 5 minutes long. Lots of piano.

.[/i]

Lots of piano? Hard-blooded punk-rocker guys are not gonna get thrilled with this.

Veddertown, you hearing this?
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:

And then Sirens. Wow. Epic song. 5 minutes long. Lots of piano.

.[/i]

Lots of piano? Hard-blooded punk-rocker guys are not gonna get thrilled with this.

Veddertown, you hearing this?

Supposedly there is some guitar on it too...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    jumbojet wrote:
    Hard-blooded punk-rocker guys are not gonna get thrilled with this.

We can only hope that the whole album hold true to this.
  • Options

I really don't know how I feel about this one having lots of piano. I'd prefer it to just have guitar. But who knows? Maybe it sounds awesome.
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight!
    9/17/2011 - MTS Center - Winnipeg
  • Options
    PU38569PU38569 Posts: 260
    Black had piano

Boom plays piano

Black is good

Boom is good

This might be the last album so hopefully it's a good one
    This is a birthday pony
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    Thanks PureandEasy :crazy:
    I just want to go to sleep and wake up on Monday now
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,353
    Siren, follow up to Force of Nature :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RH307259RH307259 Posts: 36
    I don't have expectations. Expectations in your life just lead to giant disappointments. - Michael Landon

Well hopefully we're on the highway to heaven with this album.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    krzzzymary wrote:
    Thanks PureandEasy :crazy:
    I just want to go to sleep and wake up on Monday now

:lol::lol: sorry Lori :D

i'm really, really, REALLY excited about this new stuff
  • Options

I really don't know how I feel about this one having lots of piano. I'd prefer it to just have guitar. But who knows? Maybe it sounds awesome.

Hey, I like the fact that this band keeps on reinventing itself. Spoken word, strings, instrumentals and now a piano.Why not. I don't want to hear a similar song with a certain formula over and over and over and over again.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,496
    Zod wrote:

Nah albums have leaked early online since the late 90s (I think Yield is one of the first one's I recall). It's now part of my ritual. Hear the first single on the radio, grab the leaked version, then buy it on release day (or now its order it off the internet and have it arrive a week after release day if you want the free shipping.... haha).

You can't really avoid listening to a new single, but I won't listen to clips in advance. I'll wait until I have the whole album then give it a listen.

I wasn't plugged into the Matrix till '99 but the first PJ album that I can remember that leaked, and I mean '3+ month's leak' before it was released in stores was Riot Act. I couldn't believe it. Avocado what I could remember was leaked a few weeks before store date but not many months like Riot Act. A few songs though were released in day's apart. Backspacer was the toughest. Nothing was leaked on any torrent site. Even if many have heard the full length album many day's in advanced.

It's impossible to avoid listening to their new single. And if a friend sends you a .zip folder on Facebook / Twitter etc.. if you wanted to hear more songs off the upcoming album. It's hard to not unzip that folder and play those tracks.