Options

Eddie Vedder is trying to Cut Your Lunch

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,362
edited April 2012 in The Porch
http://www.monsterchildren.com/contribu ... our-lunch/

Eddie Vedder is trying to Cut Your Lunch.
Posted By Jason – 15.02.2012

Brothers, I’m sad to report that Eddie Vedder has been trying to steal our girlfriends since early 1991. It dawned on me this morning while making breakfast for my girlfriend and I in the sunny kitchen of our home. The Pearl Jam song “Black” came on the radio and the love-of-my-life immediately began singing softly along as she flipped through the morning paper. “So what?” You say. I’ll tell you so what: besides “Like A Prayer” my girlfriend doesn’t know any songs! She’s one of those peculiar people who don’t really take that much notice of music. She likes it, sure, and she can dance like Ginger Rogers; however, she doesn’t catalogue bands, albums and tracks in her head like the rest of us do. She doesn’t really care. So there she is, absentmindedly warbling along with Eddie: “I know someday you’ll have a beautiful life, I know you’ll be a sun in somebody else’s sky, but why, why, why can’t it be miiiiiiiiiiiine.” And suddenly I’m struck with the chilling, revelatory horror that Mr. Vedder has been trying to make off with all our birds since he first came on the scene in 1991.

Let’s deconstruct good ol’ Eddie, shall we? For a start, he’s good-looking in that far-away-eyed, damaged man-boy way that girls really like. They think they can fix him, or, more accurately, he makes them think they can fix him. But they can’t; the big lug ain’t even broke. Next: his deep-ass voice. What do we equate a deep voice with? Anyone? Anyone? That’s right, a massive ___ . Why do you think James Earl Jones gets so much ___ ? Because he did all those Verizon commercials? Wrong. It’s because his deep baritone is directly proportionate to the length and girth of his wang. This is the reason Michael Cera has never pissed crooked in a stranger’s bathroom; no one wants to make it with Mickey Mouse.

So he’s got a deep voice and he’s handsome; big deal, lot’s of rock stars fit that description. They do, yes. But they don’t write lyrics like Eddie, do they? And this is the tent-pole that supports my entire hypothesis. Most rock stars write songs about falling in love or breaking up, ___ , fighting, whatever, but Eddie Vedder writes songs about women who are miserable and need to move on to something better. Take the song “Why Go” from Pearl Jam’s first album, Ten.

“She seems to be stronger

But what they want her to be is weak

She could play pretend

She could join the game

She could be another clone.”

Granted, this song is about mental illness or something, but you have to read between the lines: Eddie is on her side. He can see how “they” are keeping her down, how “they” want her to be “weak.” Who are “they”, you ask? He’s talking about every other man on earth besides his good, chivalrous self. Sound far-fetched? Okay, what about this sly piece of trickery from Pearl Jam’s second album, Vs?

“She holds the hand that holds her down.

She will rise above.

Don't call me daughter, not fit to…”

That’s only the tiniest snippet of the song “Daughter”, but it’s pretty obvious that Eddie is trying to brainwash our women into spurning their fathers (or father-figures) and running to him for paternal comfort. I mean, what the fuck is wrong this dude? He’s clever; I’ll give him that. Attacking the delicate and ambiguous arena of Father-Daughter relations is about as low as you can go, but let’s face it, if you’re trying steal the heart of womankind you may as well begin at the bottom and work your way up, just like those delightful Hookworm larvae do.

If you’re not yet convinced that Eddie Vedder wants to pilfer your chick, this next piece of evidence from Vitalogy will certainly change your tune.

“Waitin', watchin' the clock, it's four o'clock, it's got to stop.

Tell him. Take no more. She practices her speech as he opens the door, she rolls over...Pretends to sleep, as he looks her over.

She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...”

How’s that last line? “She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...” Are you fucking kidding me? He’s planting that shit in your girlfriend’s head right in front of you on prime-time radio! The bastard has imposed an international curfew on dudes! 4AM? Who hasn’t gone out and come home that late? You only have to do it once now, and she’ll get that song in her head and start looking for a “Better Man”! And gee-whiz, I wonder who that better man is?

Piss off, Vedder. I’m watching you.

D'oh!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    :lol:

(I'm only laughing because I know for a fact that my gf does not find Ed attractive.)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

That is the most hysterical (and possibly accurate) analysis I've ever heard. My husband accepts my obsession with all things Ed and just remembers that I always return to him :D
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    "Damaged man-boy" :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    jammajamma Posts: 31
    I love this!
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer."
  • Options
    HarpsyHarpsy Posts: 83
    Thats it, I'm burning all my Pearl Jam stuff!!

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    Harpsy wrote:

Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Harpsy wrote:

Can I have it instead? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    That bastard
  • Options
    This is the greatest thing I ever heard...but it does not apply to me. My wife in fact is woried about my "love affair" with the man/the myth...Sir Edward Vedder. She even notes the "Shrine" as she calls it (the museum I am building in the home office) as proof. SO WHAT if it just a piece of paper, that poster is cool!!!! Next thing you know she will point to our son...Lukin Thomas as more proof!! GHEEZ!!
  • Options
    SCMike10SCMike10 Posts: 195
    More proof:

"Hey fellas, have you heard the news?

The women in this town are being misused."
    Irvine Meadows - Sep 13, 1992
    Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003
    Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004
    Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008
    ALL FOUR 09 PHILLY SHOWS!!
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    that is hilarious!
    and so true
    its worked on me since day one..minute one..second one
    and it never loses its power :D
    there is no other man on the planet when ed croons in your ear
    good luck dudes!
    you just can't compare :lol::lol::lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    that is hilarious!
    and so true
    good luck dudes!
    I dunno, I kinda like the idea of Ed crooning in one ear and Chris Cornell in the other :D Croon-off :lol::lol::lol: I wonder who would win?
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    :lol: that's some funny shit right there. does it apply to man crushes to?
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    StillHere » 22 Feb 2012 08:48

that is hilarious!
    and so true
    and it never loses its power
    good luck dudes!
    you just can't compare

He just keeps getting better and better.....his spell was also cast on me many, many years ago!
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,275
    demetrios wrote:
    “I know someday you’ll have a beautiful life, I know you’ll be a sun in somebody else’s sky, but why, why, why can’t it be miiiiiiiiiiiine.”

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why

:D
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    "She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...”

Good post, dude. Very informative...

I always thought the lyrics were, "She lies, (insists) she's in love with him, can't find a better man...”

Without your insightful, thoughtful, one-way dialogue, I never would have known otherwise (probably).

Oh, and, get in line, man. You're not the only dude who's in love with Eddie V.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    This dude has no idea what he's talking about....
    I've been trying to get Ed to steal my girl for over a year now, with no luck....
    I think she's too hooked on me... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    nominomi Posts: 34
    "Are you fucking kidding me? He’s planting that shit in your girlfriend’s head right in front of you on prime-time radio!"

you really cracked me up because it's soooo true!
    loved it... :lol:
    Don't hold the hand that's holding you down...

~The O2, Dublin 2010~
    ~Odyssey Arena, Belfast 2010~
    ~Hyde Park, London 2010~
    ~Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam 2014~
    ~ Madison Square Garden, New York 2016~
  • Options
    FlannelGalFlannelGal Minneapolis, MN Posts: 532
    Can't really argue with this :D

This post gave me the giant laugh that I needed! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    07-09-95 Milwaukee, WI (Summerfest) - 10-08-00 Alpine Valley Music -06-16-03 St. Paul, MN - 09-03-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre -09-04-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre - 09-30-12 Missoula, MT - 07-19-13 Wrigley Field - 11-15-13 Dallas, TX - 10-3-14 St Louis, MO - 10-19-14 St Paul, MN
  • Options
    My wife and I recently had our third child, a daughter with dark hair, blue eyes, and olive skin. We have joked that I'm not the father, Eddie Vedder is. I told her I was fine with it...
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    :thumbup: My husband knows & he's OK with it ;)
    I'm a BIRD & I'm flyin'!!
    Gotta love the "wang" part. Reminds me of my Aunt & Uncles' Siamese cat named, yes, Wang. One day their friendly Minister came to visit, "What's your cat's name?" He asks. :oops: "WANG!!" my four year old cousin replies. :shock: See, they should of named the cat Big Eddie Vedder. hehe
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Suziemay wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    that is hilarious!
    and so true
    good luck dudes!
    I dunno, I kinda like the idea of Ed crooning in one ear and Chris Cornell in the other :D Croon-off :lol::lol::lol: I wonder who would win?
    :thumbup:

i love chris
    but ed would win

now if it was temple of the dog...even BETTER..you get both in both ears
    what could be more heavenly :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,677
    Idk about Ed cutting my lunch, but he can spread some mayo on my sandwich if he wants.
  • Options
    wishlisa76wishlisa76 Sweden Posts: 806
    :lol: Oh Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, on top of everything, he dressed up in a suit, and started singing: "I´m longing to belong to you..." That was the final straw!! :lol: That´s irrestistable to some women, you know... Playing the ukulele with his tanned, big hands... probably makes a lot of women 30 + around the world wish they WERE this ukulele... ;) And the subtle, sexy DANCING on stage .... OMG. :mrgreen:
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"

PJ in Stockholm, Sweden, 7th July 2012. EV solo in London, 31st July 2012. PJ in Stockholm 28th of June 2014. PJ in Milton Keynes UK, 11th of July 2014, Eddie solo in London 6th of June 2017. PJ London 18th of June, 2018, and 17th of July, 2018.
  • Options
    dan46erdan46er Posts: 157
    Yup. I was listening to/singing Black in the car when I pulled into the driveway one night recently and kept goin as I entered the house... The Wife's response, "Stop it, you're ruining the song, I like the way Eddie does it..."
    Buffalo 05/10/10, Buffalo 10/12/13, Brooklyn 10/19/13

"I seem to recognize your face, haunting, familiar yet, I can't seem to place it..."
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    demetrios wrote:
    http://www.monsterchildren.com/contributors/jason-crombie/eddie-vedder-is-trying-to-cut-your-lunch/

Eddie Vedder is trying to Cut Your Lunch.
    Posted By Jason – 15.02.2012

Brothers, I’m sad to report that Eddie Vedder has been trying to steal our girlfriends since early 1991. It dawned on me this morning while making breakfast for my girlfriend and I in the sunny kitchen of our home. The Pearl Jam song “Black” came on the radio and the love-of-my-life immediately began singing softly along as she flipped through the morning paper. “So what?” You say. I’ll tell you so what: besides “Like A Prayer” my girlfriend doesn’t know any songs! She’s one of those peculiar people who don’t really take that much notice of music. She likes it, sure, and she can dance like Ginger Rogers; however, she doesn’t catalogue bands, albums and tracks in her head like the rest of us do. She doesn’t really care. So there she is, absentmindedly warbling along with Eddie: “I know someday you’ll have a beautiful life, I know you’ll be a sun in somebody else’s sky, but why, why, why can’t it be miiiiiiiiiiiine.” And suddenly I’m struck with the chilling, revelatory horror that Mr. Vedder has been trying to make off with all our birds since he first came on the scene in 1991.

Let’s deconstruct good ol’ Eddie, shall we? For a start, he’s good-looking in that far-away-eyed, damaged man-boy way that girls really like. They think they can fix him, or, more accurately, he makes them think they can fix him. But they can’t; the big lug ain’t even broke. Next: his deep-ass voice. What do we equate a deep voice with? Anyone? Anyone? That’s right, a massive ___ . Why do you think James Earl Jones gets so much ___ ? Because he did all those Verizon commercials? Wrong. It’s because his deep baritone is directly proportionate to the length and girth of his wang. This is the reason Michael Cera has never pissed crooked in a stranger’s bathroom; no one wants to make it with Mickey Mouse.

So he’s got a deep voice and he’s handsome; big deal, lot’s of rock stars fit that description. They do, yes. But they don’t write lyrics like Eddie, do they? And this is the tent-pole that supports my entire hypothesis. Most rock stars write songs about falling in love or breaking up, ___ , fighting, whatever, but Eddie Vedder writes songs about women who are miserable and need to move on to something better. Take the song “Why Go” from Pearl Jam’s first album, Ten.

“She seems to be stronger

But what they want her to be is weak

She could play pretend

She could join the game

She could be another clone.”

Granted, this song is about mental illness or something, but you have to read between the lines: Eddie is on her side. He can see how “they” are keeping her down, how “they” want her to be “weak.” Who are “they”, you ask? He’s talking about every other man on earth besides his good, chivalrous self. Sound far-fetched? Okay, what about this sly piece of trickery from Pearl Jam’s second album, Vs?

“She holds the hand that holds her down.

She will rise above.

Don't call me daughter, not fit to…”

That’s only the tiniest snippet of the song “Daughter”, but it’s pretty obvious that Eddie is trying to brainwash our women into spurning their fathers (or father-figures) and running to him for paternal comfort. I mean, what the fuck is wrong this dude? He’s clever; I’ll give him that. Attacking the delicate and ambiguous arena of Father-Daughter relations is about as low as you can go, but let’s face it, if you’re trying steal the heart of womankind you may as well begin at the bottom and work your way up, just like those delightful Hookworm larvae do.

If you’re not yet convinced that Eddie Vedder wants to pilfer your chick, this next piece of evidence from Vitalogy will certainly change your tune.

“Waitin', watchin' the clock, it's four o'clock, it's got to stop.

Tell him. Take no more. She practices her speech as he opens the door, she rolls over...Pretends to sleep, as he looks her over.

She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...”

How’s that last line? “She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...” Are you fucking kidding me? He’s planting that shit in your girlfriend’s head right in front of you on prime-time radio! The bastard has imposed an international curfew on dudes! 4AM? Who hasn’t gone out and come home that late? You only have to do it once now, and she’ll get that song in her head and start looking for a “Better Man”! And gee-whiz, I wonder who that better man is?

Piss off, Vedder. I’m watching you.

D'oh!!!

This is funny because it's a good analysis. My husband has been noticing this for years too. :P
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Here's where the brainwashing started for me:

Hear my name
    Take a good look
    This could be the day
    Hold my hand
    Walk beside me

Oh, and the way he was holding that microphone during Black on Unplugged. I never wanted to be a microphone so badly in my life!
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,073
    dan46er wrote:
    " I like the way Eddie does it..."

Ouch.. :lol: