Options

Hey Friends, while PJ20 planning, could you help... UPDATE

2»

Comments

• Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Havent gotten the team name yet, but why not PM me during this debacle if you are willing to help.

Thanks
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    thanks for the help so far
  • Options
    Girls have most of their paperwork in... team name should show up anytime.

Would love to get a little more help with the Ipod door prize idea.

Thank you so much to the folks that sent money! It is a great start!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Update!

I guess I have been way behind letting you all know how the fund-raising effort has gone. First, a huge THANK YOU to all that sent paypal donations and checks. From the generosity of 8 people on this board, I was able to collect $95 toward the purchase of a "few" iPods. Although it was less than hoped for, it is greatly appreciated.

With the amount donated, we decided that our best best was to buy one iPod Nano instead of two shuffles. I paid the remaining $50 of the $145 total.

The girls volleyball team set up camp at this years Relay For Life and sold raffle tickets for a chance to win the iPod. The event was held on Friday July 15 (I will copy in a few pics when I get home). And sadly, it was not very well attended as in previous years. The community still raised an awesome amount for such a small area, but there just wasnt the traffic at the culminating event. In the past, each team would have a camp set up and would generally have a fund raising effort for the night. This year there were only about 12 team camps, and money seemed to be pretty tight. In all, only 6 people bought raffle tix, and 3 of them were my family members...

The girls also held a late night sand volleyball tourney that started about 11:30 pm. We watched until about 1:00 am, then headed for the house. My daughters' team, in her words, DOMINATED!

So, with that meager amount, it was decided to continue selling raffle tickets up until and during the "PINK" game on Sept 8th. We had intended to procure a few items as door prizes for anyone in the student body that wore pink clothing to the game in support of the cause. We still are working on donations from local business' to make this happen, but either way, the Ipod will be drawn for at that game.

I will include some photos and links asap.

Peace

Here is a direct link to their page. http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/Relay ... r_id=35520

edit: also noticed on the main header of the link above what the Relay raised and the number of teams. Looks like there were 24 teams total, but not all had camps at the finale.
    Post edited by Given to... on
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    Hey Dave!
    Thanks for the update!! I am sorry to hear the turn-out wasn't as high as you would have hoped, but I think its awesome that you helped your daughter and so many other kids to have the experience of "giving it back". That in itself is an accomplishment!!
    Good luck in September!! :)
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    :)
  • Options
    A long overdue update...

First, I apologize for letting this go un-edited for sooo long. I honestly had every intention of updating it directly after the big event on Sept 8th, but as the commercial says "life comes at you fast". Let me just say that the whirlwind that was July - Sept seems like but yesterday.

We began in late April, early May, coming up with an idea to support our girls in a "PINK Game" to raise money and support our locals. We didn't want to step on the toes of our local "Relay for Life' and purposefully did not seek donations from our local merchants until after the "relay" folks had been through the community and held their event. My daughter and wife commenced to spend hours each day for a few weeks trying to get donations and raffle items from local merchants with the sole purpose and explanation that the entire amount of the fundraiser was to stay local. They contacted a local charity and got the ball rolling in earnest in late July and into August.

The girls on the volleyball team did an excellent job of providing an item for the events' silent auction. Girls made blankets, bought and decorated gift baskets, and all went out and got pledges for the teams' performance in the game. We had an emcee urging folks to get out and bid and we had a cancer awareness foundation on hand with information and handouts.

Of course the girls all looked ready to whoop some ass dressed in their new PINK uniforms. The freshman and junior varsity teams from both schools all had knee high pink socks. The varsity girls played each other in opposing hot pink tops and pink knee highs with pink ribbons in their hair! The crowd support was quite good despite the fact that it was the first week of school, and there wasn't a lot of time to get the student body on board wearing pink. All of these uniforms were bought and donated by a couple of lunatic supporters (my wife and her husband).

Now of course there was this PJ20 thing that was just a few days ahead of the big game, and my wife and I had a great time and met some awesome folks while enjoying the rain and the memorable anniversary shows. We actually got in late Saturday because we had to stay and watch our girl play in a heated match Friday night. It was a very surreal time, with so much going on. We were running on adrenaline and fumes as the game day neared.

Fast forward to game time... freshman did well, JV did awesome too... The varsity girls take the floor to warm up and there is my one and only daughter. She had secured the starting setter spot as a junior and was doing extremely well quarterbacking the team through an early pre-season tourney against some of the biggest schools in our state and a victory just prior to PJ20 against our biggest rival. She was making her papa oh so proud!!!!

The first match showed how well our team was going to do. The contest was against a school that has dominated their class statewide for years! Although they are smaller than we are in numbers, they have banner upon banner to prove they are state champions. Our girls dominated them and went up 1-0 in stunning fashion.

Match 2... Our girls are leading early on. We have 8 points on the board. I am on the floor level, behind net, taking pictures. I focus in on my daughter as she attempts to make a sprawling save mid court. I snap one, two, three rapid pictures. Then I look over the top of the camera and see my girl still on the floor. In pain. White as a ghost... Her coach and the athletic director help her up and over to the bench where we can see that something is definitely wrong with her shoulder. We would find out later that it was a complete dislocation, but luck would have it nothing was torn. Just stretched beyond belief. "Good thing she was so flexible" says the world class surgeon we had taken her to...

Our girls fell apart after that. Lost quite badly in the 2nd and the 3rd before they were able to rally and figure things out in the 4th and won in a squeaker in the 5th and final match. My daughter didn't play again for 5 weeks. Repeated trips to the doctor, physical therapy 3 times a week and practice every night. She made it back and finished with impressive numbers and teamwork, but for all intents, the season was lost early in September while wearing pink and raising money for the people around her. She battled back and is looking forward to what next year brings...

She documented everything about the fundraiser and game for her presentation in the state FCCLA (Future Community and Civic Leaders of America) convention in March. All was proceeding well until they planned that one important date that would supersede any pre-made plans... PROM. Junior Prom. Yep, my 'little' girl grew up way too fast and of course has looked forward to her prom for years. So the presentation is off. She tried everything and every angle to do both, but the convention is on the other side of the state, and Wyoming is a fairly big state.

So with that, I will include a few photos of the game, and the final check that they presented to the local charity. Don't ask if we are doing it all again this year... it is all to early to tell!

(pics to follow)
  • Options
    201-1-1.jpg

Presenting the check to the local charity
  • Options
    PinkGame410-1.jpg

iPod winner. She won the hand made quilt too! (made by my wife and daughter)
  • Options
    PinkGame219-1-1.jpg

Ready to Play!
  • Options
    PinkGame332-1-1.jpg

...and pretty much the worse day of her year.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    great job Dave
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”