Options

"No, that's Cat Stevens..."

memememe Posts: 4,693
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Interview with Ed on the Italian newspaper "La Repubblica". Nothing terribly new, but I loved this bit, which I translate:

"The hardest thing about being a dad was radically changing my lifestyle, he tells tormenting his beard. I have been a slave to rock and roll for decades, to it and to anything other slaves have done, written, played, and sung. Then I became a father and had to take a step back. It would be irresponsible to go out every night, drink, smoke, and go to concerts until dawn. Kids demand attention. You no longer have a month, a week, or a day to write a song. You have an hour. You put them to bed, then work hard, and in the morning you sing them a new song while you take them to school. Once I saw my 3 year old daughter who was dancing in perfect solitude, a beautiful and mysterious dance to Into the Wild. It was one of the greatest emotions I ever experienced. The other was when she was two. My girlfriend was in the car with her mother. She turned on the radio, my mother in law asked: "Is it Eddie singing?". The little girl from the back seat answered: "No, that's Cat Stevens". And she was right! Now I have another daughter to educate to music. She is almost a year old and she was born the same day as Bruce Springsteen, John Coltrane, and Ray Charles (September 23). That's a good start, isn't it?"
... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    meme wrote:
    Interview with Ed on the Italian newspaper "La Repubblica". Nothing terribly new, but I loved this bit, which I translate:

"The hardest thing about being a dad was radically changing my lifestyle, he tells tormenting his beard. I have been a slave to rock and roll for decades, to it and to anything other slaves have done, written, played, and sung. Then I became a father and had to take a step back. It would be irresponsible to go out every night, drink, smoke, and go to concerts until dawn. Kids demand attention. You no longer have a month, a week, or a day to write a song. You have an hour. You put them to bed, then work hard, and in the morning you sing them a new song while you take them to school. Once I saw my 3 year old daughter who was dancing in perfect solitude, a beautiful and mysterious dance to Into the Wild. It was one of the greatest emotions I ever experienced. The other was when she was two. My girlfriend was in the car with her mother. She turned on the radio, my mother in law asked: "Is it Eddie singing?". The little girl from the back seat answered: "No, that's Cat Stevens". And she was right! Now I have another daughter to educate to music. She is almost a year old and she was born the same day as Bruce Springsteen, John Coltrane, and Ray Charles (September 23). That's a good start, isn't it?"

I am enjoying the interviews done in other countries more than my own country.... seems like journalists here in US don't know how to ask the right answers or at least making them feel comfortable enough to open up like that?

Hahaha... he's right, though. It's not easy being a dad and playing music for a living. No matter what people say, kudos to EV for trying to balance his life with work and family. It's not often that I read about musicians talking about how difficult it is to balance life and being in a rock band.

People assume that they got it really easy.... try it yourself. ;) Hubby did and it was pure hell - even though he held a job besides being in a band. But still the process was very time-consuming and like EV said, it does require your own space outside of the space you occupy with your own family to get your creativity flowing.

He'll see that it will get easier when the girls are much older! :D

Thanks for the interview, meme - how about updating it in Kat's "Echoes" interviews?
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:
    Thanks for the interview, meme - how about updating it in Kat's "Echoes" interviews?

I'm not around enough these days... what's that?! :)
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    meme wrote:
    IamMine wrote:

I'm not around enough these days... what's that?! :)

No problem... if it wasn't for your thread, I wouldn't have known about this interview! Been a while since Kat updated her first post, I think.

It's in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104752
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    so ed and his daughter were both born on the 23rd... more explanation into 23.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 534
    born on my birthday, too :D
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Ohhhhh so lack of time to write is the reason for all these recent Yeah Yeah Yeahs.... 8-)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    Thanks for posting it :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Ohhhhh so lack of time to write is the reason for all these recent Yeah Yeah Yeahs.... 8-)

That's hilarious.

You are welcome, Mrs. Vedder 78 :)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    That's a sweet story. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    I dont know if I'm so fond of this story just because its a cute story or because I actually understand the feeling... the other day I was driving back home with my son on the back seat (he just turned 5 on June) and I was listening to The Fixer, when it ended he asked me "can you play it again mommy?" so I did, and then once more at his request, the last time (since he knew it had been to many times he asked for it) he said "can you play it one last time mommy? Just one last time, pleeeeeeeeease" ... it totally melted my heart LOL!

Its almost like a rewarding feeling, at least that's the way I feel when any of my sons (I've 3, ages 10, 8 and 5) hear Pink Floyd, Zepellin, specially AC/DC, or Nirvana on the radio and ask me to turn it up and then they sing along...I find myself thinking.. "we are teaching them well" :lol:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    I dont know if I'm so fond of this story just because its a cute story or because I actually understand the feeling... the other day I was driving back home with my son on the back seat (he just turned 5 on June) and I was listening to The Fixer, when it ended he asked me "can you play it again mommy?" so I did, and then once more at his request, the last time (since he knew it had been to many times he asked for it) he said "can you play it one last time mommy? Just one last time, pleeeeeeeeease" ... it totally melted my heart LOL!

Its almost like a rewarding feeling, at least that's the way I feel when any of my sons (I've 3, ages 10, 8 and 5) hear Pink Floyd, Zepellin, specially AC/DC, or Nirvana on the radio and ask me to turn it up and then they sing along...I find myself thinking.. "we are teaching them well" :lol:

indeed you are.

the day my daughter came to the realization that 'the Beatles are amazing' melted my heart.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

Thanks for pointing that out to me, went right over my head! I love to figure out significant numbers too, I love how he has turned that into an EV. Means so much more to me now.

I like how Ed calls Jill, his girlfriend but he calls her mother, his mother in law. Could be lost in translation.

Thanks for posting, I would have never read the other thread, not enough time.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options

Exact same thing.

My son is 9 and went through a "kidz bop" phase a couple of years ago. I cringed, and explained to him what's wrong with (exclusively) commercial music. He's recovered :).
    The other day he asked me if we could go to a Nirvana concert some day :(
    I am proud of that time when he re-told the story of the Who to his dad: Keith and John have died because they were reckless with drugs and abuse them. Luckily, Pete and Roger made it through and are still with us :D
  • Options
    IAmMyself wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out to me, went right over my head! I love to figure out significant numbers too, I love how he has turned that into an EV. Means so much more to me now.

I like how Ed calls Jill, his girlfriend but he calls her mother, his mother in law. Could be lost in translation.

Thanks for posting, I would have never read the other thread, not enough time.

Actually, I translated "compagna" with girlfriend. Perhaps "partner" would have been a more accurate translation. But yeah, he did call her mom "MIL" :)
  • Options
    Thank you for translating and posting this!

I too enjoy reading these interviews from other countries.

P.S. Mrs. Vedder 78 sounds like you have some cool kids! :)
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13