Options

sydney show - who's going?

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited August 2009 in The Porch
so?
are you IN?
tis my birthday show - wooohooo - and i can't wait!

i see lots of talk about melbourne and brisbane, but not much about sydney. who am i going to meet?
also, do please share recommnedations for hotels, websites to check out for best deals....airlines to travel between cities, etc. yea, yea...i say "only" sydney, but i am easily swayed, so good to have th info at the ready. ;)

feel free to share things to see and do in sydney, places to eat and drink, etc, etc.
i know hinny once mentioned some great place to go for free? i think to get a truly spectacular view of the city, etc...so yes....please SHARE!

and cmon....who's going?
:mrgreen:
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    I'm not going, but I'm glad you're getting to go! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:

looks like i may have the whole 50k stadium to myself! ;)

Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    still working on it... hopefully it will work...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    I'm going :)

PM me if you need any help. Just recently moved further north after living in Sydney for 26 years.. if you're interested in anything to do with nature, wildlife etc that's my specialty :D

For domestic airfares use www.webjet.com.au
    This site compares all airlines.

No idea what hotels are good (depends which area you stay) but use tripadvisor.com to read reviews.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    For people on a budget coming to Sydney but not willing to slum it up (either with me at my old place or in hostels), I've generally recommended the Y Hotel, either the one on Hyde Park or City South.

I'd dearly love to show you around, but I'm not making the trip home.

I've never done the Bridgeclimb, always found that to be quite the ripoff considering it sets you back 200 bucks, when for a tenner you can climb up the south eastern pilon for what is essentially the same view.

A drink at the Opera Bar is a must for visitors. Otherwise I'm used to just parking me arse down in some Newtown pub. Or around to the James Squires Brewhouse.

Screw the harbour cruises. Again, a total ripoff, when you can get yourself a day travelpass and go up and down the river on the ferries, or out to Manly beach, on which you actually get to talk to the locals.

For eating and drinking, Balmain, Glebe, Newtown and Surry Hills were my favourite spots. eatability.com.au is the best website to look up where you want to eat.

There's not much in terms of options for flights. I just stick with expedia.com.au

Maria, feel free to drop me an email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:hinnsemail@hotmail.com">hinnsemail@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->. I may live on the other side of the world now, but I still love what my home town has to offer for visitors.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    justam wrote:

looks like i may have the whole 50k stadium to myself! ;)

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm going. That is, if the 10 club ever release any tickets.....
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I am most definately in. So it looks like just you and me :D
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    dreamtonicdreamtonic Posts: 127
    I'm all in for Sydney !!! I got my flight ... this is actually happening :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Yep Im in for sure.

I live in the inner city in the middle of all those places Hinny mentioned above....if time permits Ill have a BBQ at my place one of the afternoons.

Any queries you have also feel free to PM me or ask in here.

The venue is only a 20min walk to the CBD and there are literally 100's of drinking establishments and restaurant within a 5kn radius
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    definitely in.. I rent and work in Sydney East very close to the stadium.. could walk but I will be lazy and take a $1 bus ride there..

What kind of specific activities are you interested in doing while in Sydney? You could probably hit some of the beaches by the end of November if not to swim to enjoy the scenery.. For a tourist the bondi to coogee walk would be a must.. centrepoint tower sky walk? stay away from the restaurant though its shit..
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Me!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bout time some sydney goers showed up. ;)

that said, at this point, i am very undecided if i am going to make the trip at all. as much as i would LOVE to go to sydney (and yes, hug a koala! ) and to see pearl jam on my birthday....i am thinking perhaps, financially, not a good move for me right now. yes, i can fly free.....but as it seems any friends who do go, plan on doing other shows as well, i would more than likely have to cover all or most of my hotel costs, solo. coupled with the other expenses of food, drink, whatever entertainment, etc.....it is looking to be a lot more $$$ than i wanted to spend. also, feel a bit guiltly sucking up almost ALL our airmiles, that we've been saving....so i just don't know. my husband is entirely cool with whatever i decide, but i may err on the side of being responsible, for once.

i was just SO excited at the thought and possibility, i really ran with it w/o thinking it through entirely. still not ruling it out 100%, but yea....unsure.

so we shall see.....and if i don't make it, be sure to have a BLAST as i know you all will!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    FYI - went there in 06.... domestic airlines charge an arm and a leg if your bags are over 20 kgs (from what I remember). I got nailed on this in. Check the fine print before booking.

btw - NZ, who's going?
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    I've never done the Bridgeclimb, always found that to be quite the ripoff considering it sets you back 200 bucks, when for a tenner you can climb up the south eastern pilon for what is essentially the same view.

Check

A drink at the Opera Bar is a must for visitors. Otherwise I'm used to just parking me arse down in some Newtown pub. Or around to the James Squires Brewhouse.

Check

Screw the harbour cruises. Again, a total ripoff, when you can get yourself a day travelpass and go up and down the river on the ferries, or out to Manly beach, on which you actually get to talk to the locals.

Check

For eating and drinking, Balmain, Glebe, Newtown and Surry Hills were my favourite spots. eatability.com.au is the best website to look up where you want to eat.

Check

Hmm its funny those are all the things you and i did in Sydney!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}