Options

We who like The Fixer (and love PJ)!

2»

Comments

• Options
    lowenan wrote:
    I can be as critical as everyone, but I think The Fixer is a great uptempo song. Fits into the PJ catalogue really nicely.

I appreciate the style shift. Its obvious that they made a conscious decision to go for a different sound on this album. 'The Fixer' definitely has a new wave vibe- so does Got Some. I hope the whole album retains that style, because it'll give 'Backspacer' the sort of thing that makes No Code, Yield, and Binaural special IMO (each have a unique "mood/vibe" that defines them).

Speaking of new wave- during the bridge listen for that high-pitched, eighties style sound effect. One of my favorite parts of the song honestly. Plus, I can tell there's a lot of instrumental stuff going on in there thats getting a bit blurry due to the sound quality. Can't wait for a nice crisp iTunes purchase on 8/24 (or maybe sooner?).
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i like this song... and its gonna rock even more when its played live... i, myself am super psyched!!!
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Two ATwo A Posts: 51
    I like it. It's a good teaser for the album.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    great song....it will be kick ass live

my preference would be to remove a lot of the non word vocals especially at the beginning because it rocks real nice but I'm sure that was what the producer wanted
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mudhoney_253mudhoney_253 Posts: 135
    It is VERY poppy . . . which is usually not my perference, but it's a pretty stong song. Ed's voice sure sounds nice to me. I love song's like, Not For You, Comatose, Spin The Black Circle, but not every song can or should be like these. The Fixer is something new for pj and I give them credit for that. I think it has to grow on someone like myself who gravitates to a more raw and distorted sound. In my mind Mudhoney has the perfect sound and this is pretty far from Mudhoney. I like a scorched earth policy when it comes to distortion. Maybe it will be a little rawer when played live!

Man, Ed's voice sounds great!!!
  • Options
    Man, Ed's voice sounds great!!!

It sure does. perfect...can't wait to hear him belt out Unthought Known, and The End with this quality...this is gonna be one hell of an album. Jeff sounds great on 'The Fixer' too.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    The breakdown is pretty good.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    i hope the whole album is like this....
    and i wish i had it now, cause i want to listen to it while driving to the beach.....

fixer is simple,, has a 50's - 60's beat to it..... and it is "feelgood"..
    I think the whole album will be on this note, thus the first single, since Ed did his mellow thing with Into the Wild etc. I think they went for some rocking upbeat easier listening fun tracks on this one....
    I look forward to the change and diversity,,, these people are artists,,, they want to experiment and break boundaries and do something new - as far as their previous releases go.... i'd be disappointed if it sounded like "another pj album"... (having said that, in my iTunes library i have a playlist that has all their previous releases, and i just hit random & repeat... I listen to it at least 40 hours a week....)
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    This song is gonna sound great live and you know you'll all be jumping around like crazy fuckers sing along :lol:;)
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    I love this song, I love how happy the lyrics are. It seems like the people who don't like it are the ones still wearing their flannel shirt crying how their parents didn't love them enough. That stage and time is done with how long can people want to hear about misery.
  • Options
    im glad you all love it. :P i tried really hard to.
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Reminds me of Unemployable and God do i ever hate that song! I'm not saying i don't like this song it just sounds a bit to polished, the guitars should be louder.
    It hasn't hit me as hard, the same way i felt after hearing "Got Some" and "Severed Hand" for the first time . With that being said I think the melody is very punchy and there is a catchy hook which will grab people attention. This song is an easy top 10 hit, i just wonder if it will fade out fast?
    This one will take sometime time to grow on me but i think it will win me over.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV