Options

NYC - where to stay?

OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
edited July 2013 in The Porch
Hey guys,

Coming to the Brooklyn 1 show from sunny Scotland for my 30th (great present from my wife!) - going to be fantastic. Having never been to NYC I'm looking for any recommendations for good, inexpensive hotels (if such a thing exists!)? And yes I know NYC is a giant place, but more looking for someone to say "I've stayed here, and it was good" and I'll check it out.
Thanks!
Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
Memphis, 14th October 2014
Krakow, 3rd July 2018
London, 8th July 2022
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    I have no clue but someone must. Back to page 1 bump.
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    ambrasjesambrasjes Posts: 124
    if you are looking for the cheapest, best located hostel in NYC : Big apple hostel.
    Stayed there twice already and would go back again. http://www.bigapplehostel.com
    Antwerp/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Camden2/NewYork2/EVChicago1&2/Chicago1&2/
    Werchter/A'dam1/Werchter/EVA'dam2/EVLondon1/Portland/Spokane/Calgary/Vancouver/
    Seattle

Longtime ghost
  • Options
    Indi4enceIndi4ence Posts: 949
    I live on Long Island about an hour east of NYC so I normally just hop a train home or stay with a friend when I go into the city. But earlier this heat we surprised my son for his 8th birthday with a night in the city and went and saw a bunch of sites. We stayed at the Westin Times Square. It was really nice and had huge rooms compared to most city rooms. It's right in the middle of everything but pretty far from the show in Brooklyn. Probably take a taxi or subway. We were able to get a room for under $200 through hotels.com.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the show. I'll be there night 1 as well
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Be open to hotels that have rooms without bathrooms - usually down the hall for example. This brings down the price somewhat. Usually the rooms will have a sink in the room. One hotel we've stayed at quite a few times is the Pod hotel on the east side midtown. If you are in Manhattan though, remember to get to Brooklyn will take a while. Its like 45-50 minutes on the G train from my daughter's apt. in Brooklyn into Manhattan.

Some people are using Airbnb - I don't know if you are familiar with it - people either rent out their own apartments or rooms in their apartments - it can be much more affordable than a hotel, and there's plenty of them in Brooklyn. I haven't personally used it because now when I go I stay with my daughter in Bed-Stuy.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    What's "cheap"? There are some places with shared rooms/baths. These are some nicer places with shared accommodations, never stayed at any of them, would suggest researching them over on tripadvisor.com:

Hotel 17
    Gershwin Hotel
    Ace Hotel
    Hotel 31
    The Jane

I've also come across the Bowery White House, it doesn't sound too pleasant but seems super cheap and it's on Bowery!

If it's your first time in NYC, I would suggest staying in Manhattan near a subway stop rather than staying out in New Jersey or even Brooklyn to save money, but that's just me unless you don't care about seeing all the stuff you've seen and read about. Just my 2 cents. Barclays Center has pretty much all the major subway lines so it's an easy subway ride there.

If your main priority is the shows and you just want to be able to collapse into bed after, then maybe get a place near Barclays Center, I know someone on the board was trying to organize a group rate.
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    agree with hotel 31
    its not "cheap", but its very inexpensive compared to anything else in the area.
    great area, close to subways, right in the middle of the city. curry hill is right there so you can eat like a king for cheap.
    i recommended it to my friend from mexico (wattup PacoJam??) during his nyc trip and he fucking loved it.

ps- youre coming all the way from scotland, go to both shows!
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies - I'll spend the morning researching! And yeah, Suziemay, I'm looking to stay in the city and see the sights, hopefully catch a show and a sports game, or anything that'll basically add to the experience!
    Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
    Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
    Memphis, 14th October 2014
    Krakow, 3rd July 2018
    London, 8th July 2022
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    In 2004 when I visited NYC, I stayed at the Lucerne on the upper west side...it wasn't cheap though.

Last year I visited and rented an apartment on the upper west side that was listed on Airbnb https://www.airbnb.com . The apartment isn't listed anymore, otherwise I would recommend it, but it was beautiful! So I really recommend looking on Airbnb, just look at places with a decent amount of reviews.

Both times I stayed in the same area of the Upper West Side, around the W70's, and I loved the area.

I'm not a big fan of hotels, and really preferred my experience with using Airbnb in a few cities in the US.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    hi
    try Hotels.Com
    rooms are usually 50% off
    i have used it and it's a good deal
    if you are working with GBP, it's even better for you
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Another thought, you could try one of those name your price sites like priceline, might get some good deals!
  • Options
    IgotlemIgotlem Posts: 9
    You could try one of the new hotels that are popping up in downtown brooklyn. My husband's parents stayed at the Aloft Downtown Brooklyn when they visited us over thanksgiving and it was totally reasonably priced. It's walking distance to the Barclays center too.
  • Options
    Sofitel in Midtown is great. great location. pretty good pricing for NYC (or anywhere, really).
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Indi4enceIndi4ence Posts: 949
    I heard this place is really nice ;) not cheap at all though
    http://www.mercerhotel.com/