Options

Going Retro (Getting back into vinyl)

F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
edited October 2011 in Technical Stuff and Help
I am just starting to get into vinyl again...

Can anybody point me to really good turntables? Not too expensive like $200 or less.
(links would be helpful)
Its been sooo long, plus I never had a good turntable even back in the day.

Also, are the vinyl super deluxe sets of "Ten" and the Vs./Vitalogy sets worth the price tag?

Thanks in advance
EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
East Troy 9/3/11
East Troy 9/4/11
Amsterdam 6/26/12
Amsterdam 6/27/12
Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
Worcester, MA 10/15/13
Worcester, MA 10/16/13
Hartford, CT 10/25/13
Seattle, WA 12/06/13
Denver, CO 10/22/14
Fenway 2016 #1
Fenway 2016 #2
Fenway 2018 #1
Fenway 2018 #2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

Can anybody point me to really good turntables? Not too expensive like $200 or less.
    (links would be helpful)

Also, are the vinyl super deluxe sets of "Ten" and the Vs./Vitalogy sets worth the price tag?

Thanks in advance
    My equipment is crap, so I'm not going to recommend anything (I'm using computer speakers at the moment) but I do love spinning the vinyl.

If they won't break the bank, the super deluxe sets are worth the price.

On the other hand, if buying them means that your cats will be eating dryer lint for a month or something, then no, they aren't worth it.
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

(links would be helpful)

Thanks in advance
    My equipment is crap, so I'm not going to recommend anything (I'm using computer speakers at the moment) but I do love spinning the vinyl.

If they won't break the bank, the super deluxe sets are worth the price.

On the other hand, if buying them means that your cats will be eating dryer lint for a month or something, then no, they aren't worth it.

cool thanks, does the drop in the park concert sound good or is it a bad recording? I never know what i'll end up with on the earlier recordings. I don't see it listed anywhere, is there a digital version of it (drop in the park) or is it only vinyl?
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Honestly, if you're looking to spend $200 or less, you might want to check out some used record shops (if you have any around) and see if they are selling any turntables.. I was in NH last summer and went to a record store in Concord called Pitchfork Records, I remember them having a lot of quality used turntables and receivers, if you're near there it might be worth checking out.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    cool thanks, does the drop in the park concert sound good or is it a bad recording? I never know what i'll end up with on the earlier recordings. I don't see it listed anywhere, is there a digital version of it (drop in the park) or is it only vinyl?
    Drop in the Park is vinyl-only but it is a good quality recording.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    I bought an Ion Profile Vinyl USB Turntable
    I use it just to spin records.
    Purchased at Costco for like $50 down for $90.
    Normally I think $100-150.
    This product is great for what it is.Plug it into anything with AUX."RED White" ;)
    I use A JVC home theater amp and Bose speakers.
    It has worked for me and the amount I saved...I bought records. :)
    Cheers and good luck
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    JTH wrote:

A video review show that it came with a download code for drop in the park (with the super deluxe Ten),
    was that wrong then?
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

A video review show that it came with a download code for drop in the park (with the super deluxe Ten),
    was that wrong then?
    Maybe it did. I bought mine used, though. Maybe I should contact the guy who sold it to me.
  • Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Just jumped on the same boat after winning the Ten de luxe box here on the forum and bought my first turntable last week after have spin records like 25 years ago.. 8-)
    For the money you want to spend on it it better to look for discounts or used..
    Dont make rush and take a good look around,i brought some vinyl to the hifi store where i bought mine and listen to different players combined with different speakers and recievers to have a good listen how its sounds and played on different brands..
    Its a world of fun when its all in the house and you spin your own..A whole new world of living music will be opened and enjoyed...yeah re-living retro is great..
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    Well, whaddaya know? I checked last night and there was a little card tucked away inside the sleeve with a download code.

So yes, there is both analog and digital for Drop in the Park, just not a physical CD.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Sorry, I'm not at all up to date on current turntables - mine is a 1980s Ariston RD80, that I got used following a few recommendations - and I love it. It's quite high maintenance because of the suspended sub chassis design - but it outperforms other turntables I've owned by a mile.

I digress! What I meant to say was that when this topic has come up on the forum before, I have seen quite a few people recommending the Project range of turntables. I know these have a good reputation for great sound on a budget, and are very available. I've just had a look, and the Project Debut which some people have recommended is a bit pricier than you are looking for http://www.amazon.com/Pro-ject-Debut-Tu ... 269&sr=1-1

Project's cheapest would seem to be the Project Essential, at $300

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-ject-Debut-Tu ... 269&sr=1-1

Like I say, I'm not the expert on this any more - but I do know that spending a bit more money to get into the 'entry level' audiophile range is well worth it. If you go too cheap you will only end up being unsatisfied, and either give up on vinyl (shame!), or splash out on something a bit better soon enough if you get the bug
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878