Options

Zero Dark Thirty

eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone planning on seeing this movie when it comes out?

I never saw The Hurt Locker but heard good things about it. This already has a 98 on metacritic. :o I think it comes out in a few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYFhFYoDAo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxC_JNz5Vbg
bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
8/28/98- Camden, NJ
10/31/09- Philly
5/21/10- NYC
9/2/12- Philly, PA
7/19/13- Wrigley
10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
10/21/13- Philly, PA
10/22/13- Philly, PA
10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Gotta be better than hurt locker
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This film definitely has my interest.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Sure, why not?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Yes. I enjoyed hurt locker so i'm interested to see her take on this.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    the trailers really didn't catch my interest. I'll probably wait until it hits HBO or Netflix
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    Definitely plan on seeing this one in the theater. Saw the trailer for it when I saw Argo and it looks great.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272

I never saw The Hurt Locker but heard good things about it. This already has a 98 on metacritic. :o I think it comes out in a few weeks.

hurt locker was real good.

saw zdt tonight...fucking intense. great movie.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

hurt locker was real good.

saw zdt tonight...fucking intense. great movie.

yeah saw it's playing at KOP. Gonna try and catch it this weekend.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    i think its the only place in the area that is showing it before next week. the 9pm show was packed. middle aged people were arguing with punk kids over saved seats. it was a madhouse down there. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i thought it was good. was an edge of your seat type movie. Jessica chastain was great. one scene in particular where she's trying to convince her boss to give her funds to capture bin laden is a standout for sure. The movie shows torture in its truest form, maybe the first film about Iraq to show what torture really involves. I sort of wish the film had come down harder on obama in terms of torture. The film sort of makes it sound like or look like, during Bush years, they could torture and do what they wanted, but once Obama came in, they use a soundbite of him saying "we dont torture in america", and they show several scenes of CIA and whatnot saying they cant do what they want now. The truth is, the horrific torture you see in the film is still going on and all condoned by Obama, just as it was okayed by Bush.
  • Options
    i think its the only place in the area that is showing it before next week. the 9pm show was packed. middle aged people were arguing with punk kids over saved seats. it was a madhouse down there. :lol:

and you didn't ask me if i wanted to go :nono:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    think i'm gonna see a noon showing today.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    i thought it was good. was an edge of your seat type movie. Jessica chastain was great. one scene in particular where she's trying to convince her boss to give her funds to capture bin laden is a standout for sure. The movie shows torture in its truest form, maybe the first film about Iraq to show what torture really involves. I sort of wish the film had come down harder on obama in terms of torture. The film sort of makes it sound like or look like, during Bush years, they could torture and do what they wanted, but once Obama came in, they use a soundbite of him saying "we dont torture in america", and they show several scenes of CIA and whatnot saying they cant do what they want now. The truth is, the horrific torture you see in the film is still going on and all condoned by Obama, just as it was okayed by Bush.

"i'm the mother fucker who found this place." :lol:

she was great.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

"i'm the mother fucker who found this place." :lol:

she was great.

saw a noon showing. I liked it a lot. I "jumped" a few times. Kept me on my seat and interested throughout the movie. the ending reminded me of one of those one person shooting games. Didn't realize going into it that James Gandolfini and Harold Perrineau (michael from Lost) were going to be in it. Def. recommend seeing it. Now i kinda want to see the Hurt Locker.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

cant think of any film id want to see less atm.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Just watched this last night...
    Incredible is an understatement
    If you happen to be fascinated at all by the planning and capture of Osama Bin Laden, this movie will blow your mind.
    Also - if you like action, suspense, great dialogue, superb acting, cool cinematography and being engulfed in a movie, then this one is for you.
    Wow.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    If you happen to be fascinated at all by the planning and capture of Osama Bin Laden, this movie will blow your mind.
    Also - if you like action, suspense, great dialogue, superb acting, cool cinematography and being engulfed in a movie, then this one is for you.
    Wow.

could not have said it better myself. the first 15 mins or so are kinda of slow, but after that, you feel the suspense and tension throughout the movie. its a safe bet that this picture should be up for best pic and best director.
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Wow.

could not have said it better myself. the first 15 mins or so are kinda of slow, but after that, you feel the suspense and tension throughout the movie. its a safe bet that this picture should be up for best pic and best director.

my wife hates movies (don't ask) but she was on the edge of her seat for this entire movie and hasn't stopped talking about it since. that never happens :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:

didn't care for the torture scenes?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    davidtrios wrote:

didn't care for the torture scenes?

nah, i actually thought those were cool but all of that military numbo jumbo lost me there for a moment.
  • Options
    jessica chastain should definitely be nominated. I still dont know if Anne Hathaway will be nominated for lead or supporting, but, i think Anne is going to win whatever she is nominated in, so if i was jessica i'd hope that its supporting actress.

It was wierd to see Coach Taylor swearing.

And how about Mark Duplass, for a guy that started out making indie films, low budget films, you couldnt find a more bizaare dichotomy of appearing in this film which is one of the biggest of the year, major director, major stars. he was the CIA guy, brielfly, who showed Jessica chastain the images about the multiple people in the house.

Jessica chastain was driven in this film, her character was, and she was as an actress. Intense role.

Im still upset about how the film really doesnt take a stand on issues of torture. Maybe Bigelow was just trying to present it, and let the audience decide, but Jessica Chastain is initially turned off by it, then grew to accept it.

In fact, you could make the case that the film suggests torture is useful. They were able to glean information from everyone they tortured in the film. And that what happened to Chastains friend, and the dangerous and violent nature of the work she was doing, made her accept torture as necessary.

If anything I'd say this film almost is militaristic in that it celebrates the efforts of our troops, and it legitimizes waterboarding and sleep deprivation and loud music as torture.

THat said, Hurt Locker didnt really make too much of a statement on war either, despite the subject. There was that scene about the guy in the supermarket, and i think maybe some grumbling about being reactivated and called back, but it wasnt a moralizing and statement filled film
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Wow.

Its a damn good film, but i definitely feel like stuff like Lincoln, or Amour, Moonrise Kingdom were way better. I think it should get noticed because of Jessica Chastains performance, but i wouldnt say its the best picture of 2012.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I'm not allowed to watch these movies. It fucks with my P.T.S.D I've never seen Hurt Locker obviouslly. The last military movie I watched was BlackHawk Down and I had nightmares and sleepwalking events for weeks. Even with my medication I do not watch these movies for fear of having episodes while I sleep then the depression the next few days.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    ZDT finally comes out this weekend in my area and I will see it. I'm really suspicious about the "death" of Osama Bin Laden and I'm curious about how this film presents his "demise".
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I heard it was awesome despite some factual problems but who really knows with the CIA, it's better to keep some things secret anyway. I love anything spy related regardless of truths.
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    I'm not allowed to watch these movies. It fucks with my P.T.S.D I've never seen Hurt Locker obviouslly. The last military movie I watched was BlackHawk Down and I had nightmares and sleepwalking events for weeks. Even with my medication I do not watch these movies for fear of having episodes while I sleep then the depression the next few days.

that sucks man.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    81 wrote:

What was wrong with Hurt Locker?
  • Options
    like someone else said, this is an edge of your seats type movie. But as i was saying above, for the hype prior to release, and in terms of dealing with 2 explosive topics, bin laden and torture, the film is stunning in its understated nature. And thats a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. I wouldnt want every film to be some sort of treatment on the war and its effects, but going off the 2 most recent Bigelow films, she really doesnt seem like she's pushing an agenda. And if she is, its not an antiwar, end torture type statement.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

What was wrong with Hurt Locker?

It was a good film but i was left wanting same with Zero. It just felt like a slice of life movie. A slice of life of war and death to be sure. And i love slice of life films. But i sort of wanted a point. A statement. It sort of felt like just a story or a movie about some soldiers. Obviously people loved the film, but it sort of felt just thrown out there. Heres a story about some soldiers. And thats it. Both films you could as easily say are pro-war jingoistic films as you could say they are antiwar films. No clear statements of any kind are made, and if they are made, they are hidden, quiet, and oftentimes missed. The soldier coming home and choosing cereal threw alot of people, because it seemed to not fit in with the movie, and because it wasnt as clear as maybe it should have been. I think that scene was clearly a stand on the monotony of modern living, the intense situation we put the military in death, violence, murder, horror, and then we have them come home and they make inane decisions like if they want captain crunch or fruit loops, and I think it was a statement on maybe why soldiers would go back, modern living in regular society isnt thrilling. However, the scene wasnt explicit in its points. And I think most people didnt get it. Its just a boring scene in a grocery store i think most people might think.

I guess im more used to more explicit moral war films. Apocalypse now, Saving Private Ryan, Deerhunter, Full metal Jacket, Casualties of War, Born on the Fourth of July, And the countless films post vietnam about returning soldiers, like Coming Home.

Hurt Locker didnt make war sound great, but i think Bigelow had a chance to say something, as she could have in Zero. Some larger statement about how inhumane and illegal torture is. The ethics of going into another country and killing another person, reguardless of who that person is. The 10 year detour from 9/11 to bin ladens death. Im not even sure if thats even discussed in the film, the fact that the reason there werent people to go after bin laden, was because they all were in Iraq and afghanistan. Its hinted at, but im not sure its explicitly stated, "you dont have soldiers to capture bin laden, because we are engaged in 2 illegal and unnecessary wars".

Bigelow is understated. And thats fine, but i think when I see war movies, I think i want it laid out there. This is what its like, this is the situation, this is the reality.

Im still at a loss, as to how, she portrayed torture in maybe the most real and explicit manner, yet in the end the torture is legitimized, isnt questioned, and in effect the movie argues, led ultimately to the capture of Bin Laden. The torture shown is gross, and disturbing. Jessica Chastain winces at the torture, but it ultimately leads to Bin ladens capture. Im not at all comfortable with that scenario.
  • Options
    jessica chastain should definitely be nominated. I still dont know if Anne Hathaway will be nominated for lead or supporting, but, i think Anne is going to win whatever she is nominated in, so if i was jessica i'd hope that its supporting actress.

It was wierd to see Coach Taylor swearing.

And how about Mark Duplass, for a guy that started out making indie films, low budget films, you couldnt find a more bizaare dichotomy of appearing in this film which is one of the biggest of the year, major director, major stars. he was the CIA guy, brielfly, who showed Jessica chastain the images about the multiple people in the house.

Jessica chastain was driven in this film, her character was, and she was as an actress. Intense role.

Im still upset about how the film really doesnt take a stand on issues of torture. Maybe Bigelow was just trying to present it, and let the audience decide, but Jessica Chastain is initially turned off by it, then grew to accept it.

In fact, you could make the case that the film suggests torture is useful. They were able to glean information from everyone they tortured in the film. And that what happened to Chastains friend, and the dangerous and violent nature of the work she was doing, made her accept torture as necessary.

i would agree with this. it was also insinuated towards the end that their jobs got a lot tougher when the new admin discouraged torturing.
    chinese-happy.jpg