Options

San Francisco Area Recommendations

Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm going to be spending 5 nights in SF starting on Friday before going to next week's Oakland shows. Would appreciate any recommendations on good restaurants and cool things to do. We're planning on going to Mier Woods for sure and definitely spend some time downtown and around Golden Gate Park. Anything else?
2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Chiqui should be back soon, she can help you out.

Also, The 81 :lol: , was just there, he might be able to help you out.

The 81, that just felt weird typing it. :D
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

like pureandeasy said
    the 81 is recently back from his extended visit to san fran
    he says they had to pull him away from the city to get him to come back home
    i think he found a special pal

:mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited July 2011
    i was just there last week. :lol:

stay away from tourist ville (wharf, pier 39, market street, haight asbury, cable cars). ok, worth checking out the cable car and asbury, but only for a short time.

If you like baseball, ATT park is a great ball park to see a game. i wouldn't trust the scalpers tho. if the A's are in town, it's worth hitting up for a cheap game.

the best touristy thing was walking the golden gate. alcatraz was cool, but a little over rated and over crowded. than again, every thing touristy was over crowded.

the best non touriest place was the beach off the lands ends trail (NW side of the city off of grear).

there is a coffee shop on the corner of union and fillmore with the best pumpkin spice cup cakes. mmmm. nice little street to hang out on, although it is a bit uppidity. we ate at the brixton on union. good food, but a very loud place. we also ate at an indian place (new deli on ellis st). it was ok, but expensive.

cheapest bar was fog city pub and cafe right by the powel st train stop.

we had breakfast at cafe la taza (post st) a couple of times. small and cozy, but alot cheaper than the other breakfast places around us. house of bagels on greary was also good.

make sure you pack a jacket. it was t shrit weather from about 9am to 7pm...after that it gets chilly.

parking in the city is expensive (30-50 at the hotels that i looked at, although i would guess it could be found cheaper). we used public transist, which comes with it's own set of problems (mainly the crazy people). if you go public, get a pass, or just hop in a back door. they weren't very strict with fares.

if you hit up the powell/market street area, let me know if that canadian guy is still there "traveling". homeless all over market street.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 thinks he is alocal :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 thinks he is alocal :lol:

:lol:

i wouldn't go that far...

watching people parking is also fun. we walked up one of the big hills. at the top we stopped to take a break and watch a suv try to pull out with a total of 6 inchs of space front and rear combined. took them 10 minutes, but they did it. they tried to push the car behind them back a little, but it didn't move.

while in haight asbury, we watched some clowns from AZ try and park. it was painful to watch. i offered to park for them. luck for them, the car behind them pulled out and they were finally able to get parked
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

chiqui is from san fran?

rye is from there. she knows half the crazies
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=155577&hilit=san+francisco

You could also check the thread discussing this topic.
    #FHP
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    People are pretty smug there. They even like to smell their own farts.
    123410200_ca5131fcd8_o.gif
    #FHP
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    If you let me a PM with what you are interested in- food, bars, wine, outdoors, music etc I will gladly make some recs. SF is a great place. 8-)
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    The Toronado bar - when we went there it was one of the best nights we had!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=155577&hilit=san+francisco

You could also check the thread discussing this topic.

Yup ... two threads on our fair city already ... the one above (also here ... )
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=155577&hilit=san+francisco+alcatraz

and this one as well ...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=149909&hilit=san+francisco+ferry

Read and come back with questions ... we're here for you.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    The 81 wrote:

chiqui is from san fran?

rye is from there. she knows half the crazies
    I'm across the bay but born and raised here :)

I put some suggestions in that other thread that was bumped, I know I'm biased but really....it's fucking awesome here.