Options

Judge Judy & Sally Jesse Raphael

ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
edited September 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
These are stupid questions really, but I'm curious. This probably applies to Americans more than anyone else.

On one of our tv channels we have a lot of American stuff from probably 8 years ago. The above included, so heres some questions;

Is Judge Judy real? Some of the things on it seem really bizarre.

Has Sally Jesse had plastic surgery? Her face looks really quite odd at times, a bit kind of frozen (botox?) and overstuffed (e.g. laughter lines).

Sorry to be benile, but could someone tell me please?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I don't remember much about Sally. Her show went off the air several years ago.

I have lost interest in most American programmes. British mysteries and Britcoms comprise more than 90% of what I watch..... But I openly admit that I adore Judge Judy. Four months ago, I returned my cable box to the company, so I no longer have any television reception. Luckily, there are many fans who upload JJ cases on YouTube. Her show is so much fun! The fact that people continue to appear on it, year after year, shows how thick some people really are (or what huge egos they have!) Understanding human behaviour fascinates the hell out of me. I find it endlessly amusing to watch Judy try, in vain, to make the litigants appreciate how idiotic they seem to everyone else.

Her show is real and not real: The cases are selected from actual Small Claims Court filings from all over the US and sometimes Canada. The litigants are paid a small appearance fee, flow out to Los Angeles, and put up in a decent hotel for a few days. If either the plaintiff or the defendant wins a judgement, the producers pay that money. I have read a few accounts from litigants that they were paid several thousand dollars even before the case was heard. I've read more accounts of the litigants explaining they were coached by the producers to bad-mouth the other party and make the case as scandalous as possible.

Judge Judy is filmed two miles from here, at Sunset Gower studios. The gallery is made up of paid seat-fillers. Casting companies pay California's minmimum wage ($8 per hour) for young, good-looking folks to sit through case after case after case, for about 9 hours. When new episodes are watched regularly, it becomes obvious that some women appear in the gallery almost constantly. "Cadaver" is a very thin young woman with a remarkably tiny mouth. She has the most followers/spotters/fans/non-fans on YouTube. A pretty brunette, sometimes called "Smirky" is always on camera. She badly overacts, trying to draw attention to herself by grinning inappropriately, rolling her eyes, craning her neck, biting her thumb, and all sorts of antics.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    Judge Judy is filmed two miles from here, at Sunset Gower studios. The gallery is made up of paid seat-fillers. Casting companies pay California's minmimum wage ($8 per hour) for young, good-looking folks to sit through case after case after case, for about 9 hours. When new episodes are watched regularly, it becomes obvious that some women appear in the gallery almost constantly. "Cadaver" is a very thin young woman with a remarkably tiny mouth. She has the most followers/spotters/fans/non-fans on YouTube. A pretty brunette, sometimes called "Smirky" is always on camera. She badly overacts, trying to draw attention to herself by grinning inappropriately, rolling her eyes, craning her neck, biting her thumb, and all sorts of antics.

Ha!! never knew that. I figured those people were just litigants waiting for their case (I suppose we are supposed to think that!) I will have to look for the Cadaver and Smirky next time I catch the show. I do love when she tells people off that have tons of children and don't take care of them.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    The Sex Pistols were on Judge Judy a few years back... John Lydon and Paul Cook... i think. something about one of them stealing the others guitar or something.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    John Lydon was on, he was being sued by someone in his band.
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Sex Pistols were on Judge Judy a few years back... John Lydon and Paul Cook... i think. something about one of them stealing the others guitar or something.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,631
    But I openly admit that I adore Judge Judy.

I can openly admit I despise that bitch. When I recently heard she's worth $95M, I despised her a little more. :shock:

I can almost guarantee I would be in contempt of court if I ever faced a (psuedo) judge like her.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers. My husband has a good old moan when I watch Judge Judy.

But although it's probably very uncool to watch it, I do, out of complete amazement at some of the things on it and the way JJ is so brusk with everyone. I will definetely have a look at the gallery now.

Shame about SJR, guess the upkeep on her face must have started costing too much - she must have had work!

:D
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Here is judy's bio:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005419/bio
    we laugh at her!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    We didn't like these shows 8 years ago. ...now they're dated, and they're making you guys watch them?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    We didn't like these shows 8 years ago. ...now they're dated, and they're making you guys watch them?

We also get Ricky Lake & Montel from around the same time. On some of the Sky channels I think they have Maury and a few others too. I don't have those channels.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

We also get Ricky Lake & Montel from around the same time. On some of the Sky channels I think they have Maury and a few others too. I don't have those channels.

If you see a Maury from maybe 10 years ago with a girl with dark hair who has a fear of eating in public, and Maury at the end takes her to get a steak at a restaurant... DVR it for me. That's my sister. Her friend worked for Maury, and knew my sister was a little off-center about eating in public, so voila a new guest. ...but she's no way as bad as the woman afraid of balloons.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    ...but she's no way as bad as the woman afraid of balloons.

Once saw a programme about people who got off on balloons. Which was very odd.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    ...but she's no way as bad as the woman afraid of balloons.

Once saw a programme about people who got off on balloons. Which was very odd.

This movie is about people getting off to car crashes...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTYkmAcsvk
  • Options
    Don't forget Judge Judy is married to the original TV judge - Judge Wappner (sp?) of The People's Court fame.

I'm really hoping that sex tape never leaks. :lol:
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    seems youre lucky enough to not get Jenny Jones, that's a plus.

She did one show about high schoolers who were throwing their lives away by becoming strippers and the audience boo'ed and hissed at all of the show's guests.

Then the next week they did a show about people who were geeks in high school but now were exotic dancers and the audience cheered and praised all of the show's guests.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Yeah remember seeing that film, guess there's nowt as strange as folk.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    evenflow wrote:
    Don't forget Judge Judy is married to the original TV judge - Judge Wappner (sp?) of The People's Court fame.

What????
    I don't think that's right.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    evenflow wrote:

What????
    I don't think that's right.

She is married to Jerry Scheindlin. He was the judge on The People's Court for a few years. I think he was the judge after Ed Koch, but before Marilyn Milian.
    "May you live in interesting times."