Options

Koch Brothers Warn Employees to Vote Romney

whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
edited October 2012 in A Moving Train
Koch Brothers Send Pro-Romney Mailing To 50,000 Employees, Allegedly 'Stifle Political Speech'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 65366.html

David Koch (left) and his brother, Charles, allegedly sent out pro-Romney informational packets to 50,000 employees earlier this month
David and Charles Koch are "attempting to control their workers' votes" by sending out pro-Romney informational packets and "stifling workplace political speech," In These Times reports.

According to an investigation carried out by the magazine, the Koch brothers allegedly sent out a mailing to 50,000 employees earlier this month offering information as to how to vote in this year's presidential election.

The Koch brothers have long been known for their conservative political views, and much has already been said about the hundreds of millions of dollars that the pair have donated to right-wing candidates and causes.

Sections from the packet were reproduced on the magazine's website, as well as on that of Chris Hayes, host of MSNBC's Up w/ Chris.

A letter, dated Oct. 1, from Koch Industries president and Chief Operating Officer David Robertson, was included in the mailing. According to In These Times, Robertson wrote:

If we elect candidates who want to spend hundreds of billions in borrowed money on costly new subsidies for a few favored cronies, put unprecedented regulatory burdens on businesses, prevent or delay important new construction projects and excessively hinder free trade, then many of our more than 50,000 U.S. employees and contractors may suffer the consequences. ... It is essential that we are all informed and educated voters. Our future depends on it.
According to Up w/ Chris, the packet also included "editorials critical of the Obama administration, written by Charles and David Koch for newspapers like The Wall Street Journal and The New York Post." A flyer which lists Koch-endorsed candidates was also reportedly enclosed in the packet, with Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan said to be at the top of the list.

In a statement sent to Up w/ Chris, Rob Tappan, Koch Companies director of external relations, said that the letter was sent "to encourage employees to be informed about and engaged in the political process."

The Koch brothers are not alone in pushing to sway their employees' political views.

In August, The Huffington Post reported that Murray Energy Company allegedly forced hundreds of coal workers in Ohio to give up a day's worth of pay to attend a Romney campaign event. Also in August, Richard Lacks, CEO of Michigan-based Lacks Enterprises, allegedly urged his employees to vote for Romney and warned them in a letter that an Obama re-election could lead to "higher taxes and lower pay."

Then just this week, David Siegel, founder and CEO of giant timeshare company Westgate resorts, came under fire for an "opus-like email" which he allegedly sent out to his employees, "railing against one-percent bashing and arguing that the president’s reelection would threaten" their jobs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CDFishCDFish Boston, MA Posts: 173
    Ok...
    Big labor unions "encourage" members to vote for Obama...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...
    Hartford 1996; Mansfield 1&2 2000; Mansfield 3 2003; Boston 1&2 2004; Boston 1 2006; Mansfield 1 2008; Philadelphia 1 2009; Boston 2010; EV solo Providence 2011; Worcester 1 2013; Hartford 2013
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,178
    CDFish wrote:
    Ok...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...

I was just going to post the same thing. My dad would tell me stories about this as far back as I can remember.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    think im gonna barf
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    imagesqtbnANd9GcRoqfDGK7CKDTraWN4zc.jpg
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    CDFish wrote:
    Ok...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...
    Labour unions represent workers. Owners represent themselves.
    Unions don't hire and fire people, owners do. what am I missing?
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    CDFish wrote:
    Ok...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...

eh not even remotely close dude, unions are a form of democracy from electing leaders to voting on issues that effect your industry and/or position. read up a bit on unions, i am no union ballwasher but ignorance is not bliss.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    CDFish wrote:
    Ok...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...

eh not even remotely close dude, unions are a form of democracy from electing leaders to voting on issues that effect your industry and/or position. read up a bit on unions, i am no union ballwasher but ignorance is not bliss.

It's absolutely the same thing; you have people in positions of authority trying to sway their pack. My dad didn't always feel like his union was necessarily working in his interest and, over the course of 30 years, there was good and bad leadership. There are no absolutes whether you're talking about unions, corporations, etc.; they're not unilaterally greedy or unilaterally benevolent.

One can decide for themselves whether they approve of this practice or not, but you have to take that stance across the board.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    CDFish wrote:
    Ok...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...

It's absolutely the same thing; you have people in positions of authority trying to sway their pack. My dad didn't always feel like his union was necessarily working in his interest and, over the course of 30 years, there was good and bad leadership. There are no absolutes whether you're talking about unions, corporations, etc.; they're not unilaterally greedy or unilaterally benevolent.

One can decide for themselves whether they approve of this practice or not, but you have to take that stance across the board.
    How much leverage does a union have over it's membership, compared to how much leverage an owner has over his employees? Esp non-union employees?
    A union can encourage it's members to vote one way, but can't threaten it's employees with their jobs. They can say 'we may lose jobs'...but they dont' really have any control over whether they do or not. An owner can decide whether or not to eliminate or outsource jobs.
    If the union does something to influence the number of jobs it's members have access to do, they can be voted out. If an owner does something to influence the number of jobs their employees have access to, there are no repercussions.
    Yes, unions do not always work in their members' best interests....but their stated role is to do so - the relationship is traditionally, and usually/arguably is, a mutually beneficial one. An owner virtually never works in their employees best interest. The relationship is traditionally, and usually is, an adversarial one.
    In this instance:
    union = suggest to members which vote is more beneficial
    owner = threaten employees with their jobs if they don't vote as told
    To me, that's the difference.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    "conservative views"

These bastards are as much conservative as Darth Sidious is part of the Rebel Alliance.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Nobody knows what we do once in the voting booth so if a business or a union
    hands out propaganda to its people, in my opinion, that is a free speech right
    to share information and opinion.

It can not be proven to sway or influence, in fact it could actually
    do the opposite, prove to deter, depending how the employee feels about the
    employer or union or the issues.

I've had a couple employers who I might have just voted opposite
    to cancel their vote out ;) don't miss them at all.
  • Options
    "conservative views"

These bastards are as much conservative as Darth Sidious is part of the Rebel Alliance.
    :clap::lol:
    well done.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    "conservative views"

well done.
    +1

is what these bosses are doing even legal?

it is immoral for sure. but is it legal?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    How much leverage does a union have over it's membership, compared to how much leverage an owner has over his employees? Esp non-union employees?
    A union can encourage it's members to vote one way, but can't threaten it's employees with their jobs. They can say 'we may lose jobs'...but they dont' really have any control over whether they do or not. An owner can decide whether or not to eliminate or outsource jobs.
    If the union does something to influence the number of jobs it's members have access to do, they can be voted out. If an owner does something to influence the number of jobs their employees have access to, there are no repercussions.
    Yes, unions do not always work in their members' best interests....but their stated role is to do so - the relationship is traditionally, and usually/arguably is, a mutually beneficial one. An owner virtually never works in their employees best interest. The relationship is traditionally, and usually is, an adversarial one.
    In this instance:
    union = suggest to members which vote is more beneficial
    owner = threaten employees with their jobs if they don't vote as told
    To me, that's the difference.

As Pandora said, they have no idea how someone actually votes, so none of the threats you propose could ever be followed up on. There could potentially be repercussions in either case if you outwardly expressed a dissenting opinion. In the case of the union, it comes in the form of marginalization. Again, I've heard plenty of firsthand stories about what can happen if it's perceived you're not standing in solidarity.
  • Options
    "conservative views"

well done.
    +1

is what these bosses are doing even legal?

it is immoral for sure. but is it legal?

Of course it is. This practice is as old as time. I can certainly understand having a distaste for it, but it crosses industries and party lines.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    pjl44 wrote:
    Of course it is. This practice is as old as time. I can certainly understand having a distaste for it, but it crosses industries and party lines.
    i don't have a problem with a boss electioneering. i have a big problem with a boss who threatens people's very employment if they vote the other way.

i have an even bigger problem with churches telling people how to vote because it will determine where their soul will rest or not rest for eternity. i also have a problem with it because churches do not pay taxes. but that is a conversation for a different thread.... sorry...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    pjl44 wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    CDFish wrote:
    Ok...
    What's the difference?
    Just sayin'...

you can argue w/me but your wrong, union members have a vote, they vote on issues, vote on leadership positions, even vote on rules to abide by.

comparing to the kock brothers' voter intimidation tactics is lazy and factually false.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:

you can argue w/me but your wrong, union members have a vote, they vote on issues, vote on leadership positions, even vote on rules to abide by.

comparing to the kock brothers' voter intimidation tactics is lazy and factually false.

I'm not wrong. My dad was in a union for 30 years and his wasn't the democracy you're describing. You or someone you know may have had a different experience and that's my point. There are far too many unions and corporations to make sweeping generalizations about either.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    i don't have a problem with a boss electioneering. i have a big problem with a boss who threatens people's very employment if they vote the other way.

They have no idea how someone votes. It's a completely unenforceable "threat."
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

As Pandora said, they have no idea how someone actually votes, so none of the threats you propose could ever be followed up on. There could potentially be repercussions in either case if you outwardly expressed a dissenting opinion. In the case of the union, it comes in the form of marginalization. Again, I've heard plenty of firsthand stories about what can happen if it's perceived you're not standing in solidarity.
    You're having it both ways here, tho....you use the private vote as a reason to both discredit my stance, and confirm yours....
    I realize it can't be followed up on....and of course I'm not talking about specific people being singled out and fired for their vote!...I'm talking about downsizing, reorganizing, mass layoffs etc...creating an atmosphere of fear. An owner telling someone 'there will be job cuts if you don't vote for my guy', as someone who has the power to make them happen, is totally different than a union leader saying 'this guy favours unions so vote for him', because they have no direct influence over hiring and firing, and are more accountable than an owner. One is a threat with weight behind it...the other is a suggestion, with very little leverage over the person to whom it's directed.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

You're having it both ways here, tho....you use the private vote as a reason to both discredit my stance, and confirm yours....
    I realize it can't be followed up on....and of course I'm not talking about specific people being singled out and fired for their vote!...I'm talking about downsizing, reorganizing, mass layoffs etc...creating an atmosphere of fear. An owner telling someone 'there will be job cuts if you don't vote for my guy', as someone who has the power to make them happen, is totally different than a union leader saying 'this guy favours unions so vote for him', because they have no direct influence over hiring and firing, and are more accountable than an owner. One is a threat with weight behind it...the other is a suggestion, with very little leverage over the person to whom it's directed.

You're right...I re-read my last post and it wasn't really clear. I didn't mean to imply a corporation had no means of follow-up, but a union could. The point I was trying to make is that a corporation would use the threat of direct layoffs in the same way a union would use the threat of marginalization. Also, both use the indirect threat of job loss ("voting for this guy is bad for our company or trade's employment outlook"). They use similar tactics and neither group has any way to enforce a "threat." Again, you can be for or against the practice, but it's a practice applied widely.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

You're right...I re-read my last post and it wasn't really clear. I didn't mean to imply a corporation had no means of follow-up, but a union could. The point I was trying to make is that a corporation would use the threat of direct layoffs in the same way a union would use the threat of marginalization. Also, both use the indirect threat of job loss ("voting for this guy is bad for our company or trade's employment outlook"). They use similar tactics and neither group has any way to enforce a "threat." Again, you can be for or against the practice, but it's a practice applied widely.
    I hear what you're saying...I think :lol:....but my disagreement is with the bolded part. A corp/owner can enforce their threat of layoffs, downsizing, and outsourcing - not specific to certain voters....but on 'day one', they can announce layoffs. A union doesn't have that kind of power in their 'marginalization' - this then goes back to the private vote. Even if every single person followed an owners 'suggestion' to vote for a certain candidate, the company could face layoffs if the other one wins. So there is a fear instilled in the workforce that they better vote a certain way and pray their boss's guy wins, or risk being one of the unlucky people who lose their jobs.
    In the union scenario, as you say, it's about perception. A person can vote either way with no one knowing. They would only be marginalized if they told everyone who they voted for.
  • Options
    I hear what you're saying...I think :lol:....but my disagreement is with the bolded part. A corp/owner can enforce their threat of layoffs, downsizing, and outsourcing - not specific to certain voters....but on 'day one', they can announce layoffs. A union doesn't have that kind of power in their 'marginalization' - this then goes back to the private vote. Even if every single person followed an owners 'suggestion' to vote for a certain candidate, the company could face layoffs if the other one wins. So there is a fear instilled in the workforce that they better vote a certain way and pray their boss's guy wins, or risk being one of the unlucky people who lose their jobs.
    In the union scenario, as you say, it's about perception. A person can vote either way with no one knowing. They would only be marginalized if they told everyone who they voted for.

Technically this is true, but I can't fathom a company laying off workers out of spite for who was elected. Hell, even if they knew everyone voted the opposite way, it wouldn't likely be enough to swing an election. There might be one small business-owning lunatic, but that's about it. I'm not saying that you necessarily do, but I believe it would take an unhealthy level of cynicism to believe that would happen. And this is coming from a fairly cynical dude.

By the way, I haven't complimented you on your avatar yet. I'm a Floyd freak and I salute a marching hammers gif.