Options

Obama's christmas gift to families: 30,000 being sent to die

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2009 in A Moving Train
nice of Obama to think of the kids during this holiday season. Instead of being warm and toasty, with family, and friends, at home, 30 thousand kids are being given death sentences. What a thoughtful gift. Nope these kids wont be by a warm fire, eating warm meal, nope they will be lost, cold, and alone in Iraq and Afghanistan, thousands of miles from their loves ones.

What a nice present.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,401
    Did you write this kind of thing when Geroge Bush sent troops over or at that time did you think it was all heroic and necessary? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    i wish people would realize foreign policy doesn't change with the party in power, which i have been saying for years.
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    Did you write this kind of thing when Geroge Bush sent troops over or at that time did you think it was all heroic and necessary? :geek:

sure did. In fact I took part in protest against the Afghanistan war all the way back in Sept/Oct 2001.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    Commy wrote:
    i wish people would realize foreign policy doesn't change with the party in power.

if people don't realize this now, then we're really fucked.

the only two parties are us and them.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Those who start wars, never fight them.
    And those who fight wars, they never like them
    And those who write laws, they can't recite them
    And those of us who just fight laws, they live and die by them

Cause they're never gonna tell you why. No.
    They're only gonna tell ya lies, no.Cause they're never gonna tell you why. No.
    They're only gonna tell ya lies, no.

It's time.......time to go home
    Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our girls away
    Don't take our boys away

Those who build walls are pretending
    That forever they can defend them
    Those who dam streams can build fountains
    Those of us who just let them run free
    They can move mountains

Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away

Its time Its time
    How many people were they running from?
    How many people never saw it coming?
    How many people never heard the warning?
    How many people never stayed at home?
    How many people never heard the call?
    How many people never saw it all?
    How many people did they spend it on?
    How many people got to sing the song?
    How many people never heard the cry?
    How many people got pushed aside?
    How many people never saw the doves fly?
    How many people never said goodbye?
    How many people never saw it fallin'?
    How many people 'til we end it all?
    How many people never saw the wrong end?
    How many people did we drop the bomb on?

Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away
    It's time to go home!
  • Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Holy shit, can we be more dramatic and over exaggerate? As I recall, there is no draft, they are 30K of volunteers. Chances are most of them signed up post 9-11, they know what they are getting into.

I say thank you to them for stepping up and going, and a safe return too their families.

History will prove that their time spend over there won't go wasted.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    Holy shit, can we be more dramatic and over exaggerate? As I recall, there is no draft, they are 30K of volunteers. Chances are most of them signed up post 9-11, they know what they are getting into.

I say thank you to them for stepping up and going, and a safe return too their families.

they are conquering a third world country, they aren't doing it for you. no need to thank them
  • Options
    nice of Obama to think of the kids during this holiday season. Instead of being warm and toasty, with family, and friends, at home, 30 thousand kids are being given death sentences. What a thoughtful gift. Nope these kids wont be by a warm fire, eating warm meal, nope they will be lost, cold, and alone in Iraq and Afghanistan, thousands of miles from their loves ones.

What a nice present.
    you talk as though they should be going on an all expenses paid vacation, to the fucking sandy beaches at bondi.

they signed up to kill people. sorry it's not more pleasant for them.
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    edited December 2009

ummm, yeah its a little more complicated than that. If they signed up post 9-11, then they have been serving for 7/8 years now, and have gone to iraq and afghanistan 4 or 5 times now. Gone to war, then brought home. Called back up. Then let go home. Called up. Let go home. This obviously takes a major toll on the soldiers families, and the soldiers themselves. Imagine explaining to your 4 year old daughter who gave you a huge hug as you came home after serving a year in Iraq, that your unit is now being called back up again, and "daddy will have to leave again".

Secondly, history will prove their time wasnt wasted? Huh? You high, friend? A bunch of their friends and buddies were murdered, and they personally had to either shoot at or kill other human beings. They had to engage in battle, with death and blood and horror all around them. Imagine your buddy being mowed down, and then having to continue. Imagine being a scared 18 year old kid, seeing death and bodies, your friends head blown off, and then seeing Iraqi citizens harmed and or dead.

Imagine being an 18 year old kid, who survives, a lucky one, who comes back home, and isnt able to relate to his wife, his kids or his family after coming back. Imagine being an 18 year old who is scared of the backfire of a car, and has flashbacks at night. Imagine being 18 and feeling like your life is over. Imagine being 18 and coming home, but having to adjust to a lost leg, arm, or other body part?
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • Options

What a nice present.
    you talk as though they should be going on an all expenses paid vacation, to the fucking sandy beaches at bondi.

What about the large amount of people who sign up because their are no other prospects as they are poor, dont have a job? How about the people who think they will get the 30,000 dollars for college? Or learn life/job skills while their?

Or just naive 18 year old kids who dont know better, and dont know really what being in the military means.

I dont think its as simple as you make it. And yeah, far be it from me to actually suggest these kids deserve way better than they are getting! Wow, thats so off base of me to suggest!
  • Options

What a nice present.

What about the large amount of people who sign up because their are no other prospects as they are poor, dont have a job? How about the people who think they will get the 30,000 dollars for college? Or learn life/job skills while their?

Or just naive 18 year old kids who dont know better, and dont know really what being in the military means.

I dont think its as simple as you make it. And yeah, far be it from me to actually suggest these kids deserve way better than they are getting! Wow, thats so off base of me to suggest!
    to answer that, i'll post something i said a while ago in another thread.

i am completely against the war. how can you be against the war and say you support the troops? that is one of the lamest, gutless, positions that a pacifist can take. kinda the same as if the one damn lesson they took away from Vietnam wasn't to avoid foreign conflicts with no pressing national interest, but to remember to throw a parade afterward.

i'm also pretty damn sure that the majority of soldiers are good guys, the sort of guys i'd love to have a beer with and a laugh with. no problems at all. same as i have no problem with other people who are in favour of the Iraq war, supporting the troops. If you think invading Iraq was a good idea, then by all means, support away. just don't tell me that i am an asshat for thinking/feeling like i do.

for me, blindly lending support to our soldiers, will keep them overseas longer by giving soft acquiescence to the fuckers who sent them there, and who might one day want to send them somewhere else. I do sympathize with people who joined up to protect our country, especially after 9/11, and were tricked into fighting in Iraq.

i'll support, and continue to campaign for, their need for quality health care, pensions, mental health assistance and a safe, immediate return.

no more war.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Those who start wars, never fight them.
    And those who fight wars, they never like them
    And those who write laws, they can't recite them
    And those of us who just fight laws, they live and die by them

It's time.......time to go home
    Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away

Those who build walls are pretending
    That forever they can defend them
    Those who dam streams can build fountains
    Those of us who just let them run free
    They can move mountains

Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away

Its time Its time
    How many people were they running from?
    How many people never saw it coming?
    How many people never heard the warning?
    How many people never stayed at home?
    How many people never heard the call?
    How many people never saw it all?
    How many people did they spend it on?
    How many people got to sing the song?
    How many people never heard the cry?
    How many people got pushed aside?
    How many people never saw the doves fly?
    How many people never said goodbye?
    How many people never saw it fallin'?
    How many people 'til we end it all?
    How many people never saw the wrong end?
    How many people did we drop the bomb on?

Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away
    Don't take our boys away
    It's time to go home!

Nice, the one and only Michael Franti great song and video. I forsee many protests in 2010 here in DC. Why do we think this country will conquer the occupation of Afghanistan with this stragedy I'll never know.
    It's time to bring them home.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    The problem is with the half-ass way we started this campaign to begin with. We've never been in the fight to win it. The people that send our boys into battle have a duty and responsibility to give them anything and everything they need to fight that battle as quickly and effectively as possible. War is absolute bullshit, but if there is no other way to avoid it, then you need to have a plan that gets them in and out as quickly as possible. That is the only way to limit the effect on civilians, and protect our troops. Not to take the word "humane" lightly, but the only humane way to engage a war that will have as little impact on civilians possible is to be swift and forceful and for God's sake, don't give the media your freakin battle plans. Why they thought they could get away with just a few thousand troops to begin with back in 2001 is just mind boggling to me. We landed on the tiny island of Okinawa Japan with over 180,000 troops in World War II. We had a different mindset then, we were there to win, and we were there to win as quickly as we could. We didn't send a few thousand, we didn't let the media know where our landing zones were going to be, and then fumble around for 7 years before we sent more troops. This 30,000 troops will do little to expedite this war, and as long as Karzai is telling us when and how we can fight, then we might as well say fuck it and just bring them all home.
  • Options

agreed.
  • Options
    All I am saying friend, is that its a little more complex than a bunch of patriotic go USA flag waving people joining the military. There are many reasons people enlist, I outlined them in my post and none of them have to do with wanting to kill people. Yes some people who join, just want to kill Iraqis, but its ignorant to think that everyone who joins, joins for that reason. And even if that is youre MO, I think alot of men, young men, put on this false bravado, this macho facade, and then when they go to war, they see the horror of war, and it effects them. I feel for that crowd as well.

I personally, as an anti military recruitment activist back in my day talked to many folks who joined up specifically for the false belief that they would get the money for college. The killing had nothing to do with it. Not too many places offer you essentially free money, but the military does, offer that is.

Additionally, with all wars, everyone needs to be held accountable. Those low level guards at Abu Gharaib deserve to be punished for the rest of their lives for their behavior, but its naive and silly to think they, or ANY soldier does anything that isnt approved by higher ups. Where did these low level guards learn to degrade people like that? How did they know that Muslim culture is unfortunatly intolerant of gays? And that to have them act in "gay" ways would be dehumanizing? You really think they thought of that themselves?

I also think if you are a scared 18 year old kid, scared out of his wits, and is constantly being told that the iraqis want to kill you, that if you were guarding a checkpoint, and a bunch of iraqis in a car whizzed by without stopping, that you might be scared enough to shoot to kill. Doesnt excuse the behavior, but it does give insight. Being a scared kid, and having seen your buddies murdered in front of you, I can imagine wanting to lash out, and being so scared you accidentally shoot someone who is innocent.
  • Options
    All I am saying friend, is that its a little more complex than a bunch of patriotic go USA flag waving people joining the military. There are many reasons people enlist, I outlined them in my post and none of them have to do with wanting to kill people. Yes some people who join, just want to kill Iraqis, but its ignorant to think that everyone who joins, joins for that reason. And even if that is youre MO, I think alot of men, young men, put on this false bravado, this macho facade, and then when they go to war, they see the horror of war, and it effects them. I feel for that crowd as well.

I personally, as an anti military recruitment activist back in my day talked to many folks who joined up specifically for the false belief that they would get the money for college. The killing had nothing to do with it. Not too many places offer you essentially free money, but the military does, offer that is.

Additionally, with all wars, everyone needs to be held accountable. Those low level guards at Abu Gharaib deserve to be punished for the rest of their lives for their behavior, but its naive and silly to think they, or ANY soldier does anything that isnt approved by higher ups. Where did these low level guards learn to degrade people like that? How did they know that Muslim culture is unfortunatly intolerant of gays? And that to have them act in "gay" ways would be dehumanizing? You really think they thought of that themselves?

I also think if you are a scared 18 year old kid, scared out of his wits, and is constantly being told that the iraqis want to kill you, that if you were guarding a checkpoint, and a bunch of iraqis in a car whizzed by without stopping, that you might be scared enough to shoot to kill. Doesnt excuse the behavior, but it does give insight. Being a scared kid, and having seen your buddies murdered in front of you, I can imagine wanting to lash out, and being so scared you accidentally shoot someone who is innocent.
    i do not for one minute think that people enlist simply to kill people. i am completely against the war, and i can't be against the war and say i support the troops for the reasons i already mentioned in my previous post.
  • Options
    i guess I was confused. Didnt you post "they signed up to kill people. sorry it's not more pleasant for them"? That to me sounds like, well...you believe they signed up to kill people, and that if things are bad over there that its their own fault? Your position is all over the place.

Why didnt you post something more measured, and that took into account the complexities of war?

If I met someone that said "they signed up to kill people. sorry it's not more pleasant for them." I would think they were against the war, but couldnt care one iota what happened to the soldiers. Maybe thats your view.
  • Options
    i guess I was confused. Didnt you post "they signed up to kill people. sorry it's not more pleasant for them"? That to me sounds like, well...you believe they signed up to kill people, and that if things are bad over there that its their own fault? Your position is all over the place.

Why didnt you post something more measured, and that took into account the complexities of war?

If I met someone that said "they signed up to kill people. sorry it's not more pleasant for them." I would think they were against the war, but couldnt care one iota what happened to the soldiers. Maybe thats your view.

storm troopers dying for empire do not necessarily deserve respect or support. especially when they are volunteering.
  • Options

no, my position is not all over the place. i'm very clear on what i believe. if you read my second post you will understand. maybe. i can't be any clearer than that. and i'm not going over the same thing i already said before. i've explained my position, and i never once said i couldn't care one iota what happened to the soldiers.

in fact i did say, 'i'll support, and continue to campaign for, their need for quality health care, pensions, mental health assistance and a safe, immediate return.'

no more war.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,216
    sorry, i am against the war and i see what TA is saying. you can not be against war and "support the troops". the troops fight the war, so by being against war you can not be supportive of the troops without endorsing what they do for a living, as they are the primary instrument in that war. i can not wrap my head around the line of thinking of people that are against war yet have a yellow ribbon magnet on their car.

i do not feel sorry for these soldiers because they know what they are getting into when they sign up...no soldier i ever knew signed up for the service and was oblivious to the fact that they might have to deploy to a war zone and god-forbid have to kill or be killed. its in the job description. that would be like me taking a job as a garbage collector and then being upset for having to touch other people's trash everyday.

besides, not all 30,000 are going to die, that is 5 times the number that have died in the last 8 years...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I imagine war is hell...never been to war myself. I just hope that the job gets finished, especially for the fallen soldiers from all NATO countries, I would like to think that if they turn Afghanistan around and make the country a good place to live for all citizens, especially women and children, then maybe the families of the fallen soldiers can live in peace knowing that their son/daughter did not die in vain. I do recall that the planning and training for 911 was conducted in Afghanistan under the Taliban's rule, so if thats the case, the US has the right to root them out.

These soldiers knew that going to war was a possibility when they joined...now just prey that they all come back safely.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    I am not surprised at all. This is just the beginning of "Obama's War." If we expect to make a difference over there, we will be there longer than speculated and more troops will be called. It is just like the Vietnam. We are going to unfamiliar ground where our guys never know who the enemy is until guns are fired. We will kill many innocent people and lose a lot of troops. In the end, we will evacuate and nothing will have been changed.
    TDR
  • Options
    I am not surprised at all. This is just the beginning of "Obama's War." If we expect to make a difference over there, we will be there longer than speculated and more troops will be called. It is just like the Vietnam. We are going to unfamiliar ground where our guys never know who the enemy is until guns are fired. We will kill many innocent people and lose a lot of troops. In the end, we will evacuate and nothing will have been changed.
    you are aware we've been there since 2001 right?

you are calling it obamas war. what was your name for it prior to that?
  • Options
    yeah this is funny, dems who are normally accross the board against war are against this plan, and repubs who are generally for a more aggressive foreign policy and generally pro war accross the board are against this strategy simply because it is obama's idea...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

this was bush's war until obama decided to surge more troops there two days ago. as of december 1, 2009 obama is taking ownership of this mess....

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited December 2009
    Many kids sign up for the military not because they're "looking for a job". Many of them are lost, have no direction in life, are at dead ends. My nephew is one of these kids. He went through boot camp, is now on a Navy ship in the Middle East and finally has the confidence he was once lacking. But he is not in a "job" that he can quit any time, he's not allowed to talk to the media, he is basically a slave to the Navy. So anyone who says that these guys and girls signed up for war is not the way it really is. For some people, maybe they did sign up to kill, but that's not many, and they have mental screening for those types. Nor can they quit at any time. These guys don't know what they're in for. They're just told what to do, and to be ready for the worse possible scenario to happen to them.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

What a nice present.

yeah, this reminds me of the time I signed up for the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in my hometown... about 7 weeks later they 'expected' me to go outside and 'watch' the fucking neighbourhood!! the nerve of it!

I have to admit when i signed up for it i kinda knew it might involve some kinda watching of the neighbourhood... but c'mon on.... i was eating a warm meal by a warm fire and they wanted me to do the thing I signed up for!?!?!?!?!? :shock:

:thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options

no, my position is not all over the place. i'm very clear on what i believe. if you read my second post you will understand. maybe. i can't be any clearer than that. and i'm not going over the same thing i already said before. i've explained my position, and i never once said i couldn't care one iota what happened to the soldiers.

in fact i did say, 'i'll support, and continue to campaign for, their need for quality health care, pensions, mental health assistance and a safe, immediate return.'

no more war.

There are a few reasons why you still support our troops. As many have mentioned the Troops did not decide on the Surge, Obama and his military advisers did so. Before that it was Bush. And you can argue this was all started by a little attack on 9/11 which is why so many young people joined the military.

I get what you are trying to say that you are against all war so therefore you can't support our troops, however the ONLY way they will be sent home quickly at this point is if they are in a box or a bag. I'm assuming you are not rooting for that to occur so we should all support our troops for a safe return home. And we should also thank them whether you are for or against the war because every country has a military and ours is one of the only ones that is 100% volunteer. So thanks boys for signing up to protect us. It's not your fault we have such a crappy foreign policy.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options

no more war.

There are a few reasons why you still support our troops. As many have mentioned the Troops did not decide on the Surge, Obama and his military advisers did so. Before that it was Bush. And you can argue this was all started by a little attack on 9/11 which is why so many young people joined the military.

I get what you are trying to say that you are against all war so therefore you can't support our troops, however the ONLY way they will be sent home quickly at this point is if they are in a box or a bag. I'm assuming you are not rooting for that to occur so we should all support our troops for a safe return home. And we should also thank them whether you are for or against the war because every country has a military and ours is one of the only ones that is 100% volunteer. So thanks boys for signing up to protect us. It's not your fault we have such a crappy foreign policy.

i'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here on several points. one, not every country has a standing army. one of our founding documents (constitution maybe? i can't recall off the top of my head) speaks against this country having a standing army.

secondly, just because somebody wears a uniform does not make it necessary for me to kiss their ass. they are doing what is in their job description and what is EXPECTED of them the same as all of us on this forum. if people are interested in supporting the troops, why not write and ask your congressman to raise their pay, make it impossible for back to back to back deployments, take care of them when they return, including mandatory debriefings and screenings for mental illness and PTSD and treat the ones that suffer from these terrible things, provide prosthetics and physical and mental therapy for the amputees, and most importantly, ask your president and your congressman to not put them into a situation where they would not put their own son or daughter.

supporting the troops by saying a prayer for them and patting them on the back and kissing their ass is completely different than supporting them by demanding of those in power the common courtesies and grattitude they deserve, most importantly take care of them and help them cope when they get home, don't just discharge them into a world where they may not even find steady work in the private sector.

• Options
    I don't think its kissing the soldiers ass as you so eloquently put it. It's about living in reality. I would like a peaceful utopia as much as the next person but if the US disbanded the military we would be invaded in a NY Minute. I don't think we need to go to War as much as we do which is why I always vote for the democrats as they at least think out the War Mongering Process rather then go in like The Terminator goes into an LA Police station.

It was years of bad foreign policy that has put us in this situation so the fact is we need a military. And the fact is these people volunteer and because of that we won't draft because if no one signed up that would be the next step. So I do thank them and pray for them even if I don't support the mission.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)