Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I’m just wondering. Since most republicans think thoughts and prayers will solve the mass gun violence, why don’t they just use that for immigration and other areas of policy? Why do they enact laws for some issues and just use thoughts and prayers for others? 
    Simple... because they are full of shit
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,983
    If these folks should were shooting up their local, county, or state public offices instead of schools, that'd get laws changed real fuckin' quick.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting they actually do this nor am I condoning violence.  It's a hypothetical thought that, if they did this, perhaps we'd be more apt to see progress.
    An AZ Congresswoman was shot at a rally and nothing happened.

In DC a congressman was shot on a ball field and nothing was done.

I do remember reading that Reagan while governor of California, passed gun laws pretty quickly when the Panthers were expressing their 2nd amendment rights.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

I’m just wondering. Since most republicans think thoughts and prayers will solve the mass gun violence, why don’t they just use that for immigration and other areas of policy? Why do they enact laws for some issues and just use thoughts and prayers for others? 

Well aside from thoughts and prayers they're thinking having MORE guns and the ability to get guns easier will solve the problem.

In this last shooting they were two officers there at the school and STILL we had a mass shooting. So having more police officers, and having more of a gun presence won't always stop these shootings from continuing to occur.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    my2hands said:
    I see the same people making excuses and saying nothing can be done

Pathetic 

Who here has said nothing can be done? I recall most gun owners stating they are for change and more regulations? Who says we just have to live with it?

I never get why the phrase "thoughts and prayers" is so mocked. Every Democratic politician has offered "thoughts and prayers" after shootings. It would be kind of a dick to not saying your thoughts are with victims, wouldn't it be? No one has ever suggested they solve the gun problem. And there probably have been "thoughts and prayers" that go out towards the victims of immigration, the thousands that are killed or raped every year.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,256
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 
    The rest of the world continues to laugh at us. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 

lol @ violent video games. Dude, many of us in Australia including myself and my friends grew up playing violent video games and watching violent shows and movies.
    None of us turned out to be mass murderers. 
    Interesting, many of us in the USA, including myself grew up hunting/shooting guns.  None of us turned out to be mass murderers either.
    This is just a version of “my grandfather smoked and he still lived to the age of 80”. 

No one is claiming that every gun owner/user is going to become a murderer. People are claiming, with a lot of data to justify it, that the high prevalence of gun users/owners in the USA is really the only difference to account for the high rate of gun violence. It’s that simple. 
    So what’s your plan for making them go away?  I can think of a few other geographical/cultural differences that makes the US a bit different than Australia as well, can you?
    I know it’s a difficult truth to believe, but the facts are clear.

Sure, Australia is different from the US. Canada, too. And England. And Sweden. And Argentina.  But you know what? All of those countries are different from each other, and none of them have the levels of gun violence that the USA does. 

This argument is really just another case of the belief in “American exceptionalism”; that the US is really special and somehow different from the rest of the world. Well, it isn’t; it just has a lot more guns. 

So what is your solution?  Since the US is not exceptional in any way or another, why is it so hard to implement the same gun laws as Australia?  Do you think it is actually possible to implement similar gun laws as Australia and do you think they would have the same effect on gun violence in the USA if implemented?

There is no single solution. There are a series of reforms that can be taken in order to reduce the violence and the scale.  You've read the posts, you are just choosing to ignore them.  There is no magic bullet that preserves the 2A, under the definition that even Scalia supported in Heller v. DC.  But just because there is no one solution, doesn't mean you don't implement a series of reforms.  
    Are you saying that the US is exceptional because of the 2A?  I haven’t seen too many judges saying that the 2A is going away any time soon...I guess we’ll just wait.  Actually, instead of waiting, I’m going to try educating my children and those I love about how to avoid gun accidents and how to act around crazy people...I do not need to wait for a law to do that.  I do not see guns (or the 2A) going away any time soon and I do not see crazy people going away any time soon.  

So, all the kids who got shot in school this year simply didn't act properly around "crazy people"? What about the people shot in Vegas? In church by Roof? In the movie theatre in Colorado? 

I'm curious about what you are going to teach those you love about avoiding those situations.  Also, still curious about your point about "geographical features". 
    There you go jumping to words like “all”.  Do you think that situational awareness helped “none” of the people get out of these situations alive?  Do you think that panicking got “some” of the people killed?  You say that there are a number of things that can be done, but think it is stupid to teach people how to act out in public and how to spot warning signs?  Nowhere did I say that these things would stop “all”, but they are logical steps that I can take on a personal front that doesn’t involve waiting for legislation.
    By geography, I was referring to proximity to criminal ridden locations or connected to crime ridden countries with a proliferation of drug trafficking/gangs.  Australia has some natural borders and a way lower population than the US that decreases the propensity of these burdens that should be taken into account when comparing nations and effective policies.
    Again, what is your solution?  Bitching about it online?

I wondered if your point about "geographical features" was referring to the border.

How do you reconcile your (and Trump's, and the right's in general) concern about the border and immigrants with all available data that shows that immigrants, both legal and illegal, are less likely to commit crime, including violent crime, than those born in the USA?
    I think it is irrelevant where they were born.  Drug trafficking is still a major cause of gun violence in that it increases the proliferation of criminal organizations.  Just because the manufacturers from Mexico are not the ones committing violent crimes in the USA, does not mean they do not contribute to the crimes people born in the US commit...due them having been trafficked across the border.

The USA has drugs coming in across the border with Mexico. Canada has drugs coming in from China. Europe has drugs coming up from Afghanistan and Pakistan. Everyone has drugs coming in across borders, in addition to what is manufactured domestically. I'm told (by police) that in Canada it is relatively easy to buy fentanyl online and have it mailed in. No country is immune to drug trafficking. 
    Demand demand demand:
    https://recoverybrands.com/drugs-in-america-vs-europe/

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

Who here has said nothing can be done? I recall most gun owners stating they are for change and more regulations? Who says we just have to live with it?

I never get why the phrase "thoughts and prayers" is so mocked. Every Democratic politician has offered "thoughts and prayers" after shootings. It would be kind of a dick to not saying your thoughts are with victims, wouldn't it be? No one has ever suggested they solve the gun problem. And there probably have been "thoughts and prayers" that go out towards the victims of immigration, the thousands that are killed or raped every year.
    it's mocked because nothing else happens.  We couldn't even get bump stocks banned for Christ's sake.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

Because it's useless?  If prayers worked there would be no shooting.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Don't Humans Kill Humans and Not Guns?
  • Options
    Please go smoke another bowl

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 

lol @ violent video games. Dude, many of us in Australia including myself and my friends grew up playing violent video games and watching violent shows and movies.
    Interesting, many of us in the USA, including myself grew up hunting/shooting guns.  None of us turned out to be mass murderers either.
    This is just a version of “my grandfather smoked and he still lived to the age of 80”. 

No one is claiming that every gun owner/user is going to become a murderer. People are claiming, with a lot of data to justify it, that the high prevalence of gun users/owners in the USA is really the only difference to account for the high rate of gun violence. It’s that simple. 
    So what’s your plan for making them go away? 
    Exhibit A
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

So what’s your plan for making them go away?  I can think of a few other geographical/cultural differences that makes the US a bit different than Australia as well, can you?

Sure, Australia is different from the US. Canada, too. And England. And Sweden. And Argentina.  But you know what? All of those countries are different from each other, and none of them have the levels of gun violence that the USA does. 

This argument is really just another case of the belief in “American exceptionalism”; that the US is really special and somehow different from the rest of the world. Well, it isn’t; it just has a lot more guns. 

So what is your solution?

Exhibit B
  • Options
    Exhibit C
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Exhibit D
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

What do you mean by the "victims of immigration"? Are you implying that thousand of Americans are killed or raped every year by immigrants? Since immigrants are less likely to commit violent crimes than those born in the USA, Americans would logically be safer around immigrants than those born in the US.

If you are referring to immigrants who have been harmed in the process, then you may have something there. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Please go smoke another bowl
    You've must of smoked one too many...Mr You're Blanched...
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

NRA is basically saying we have to live with it ! by their non action on any gun reform or do you disagree ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Exhibit B
    So asking for your thoughts regarding a solution equals saying nothing can be done in your world?  The only person here i’ve seen saying nothing can be done is jose...sorry to call you out jose.  

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

See above...

Thoughts and prayers are the only thing offered.... it's become a disgusting fucking joke at this point.... it seems the only solutions offered are arming teachers (arm everybody) or that schools have to many doors... the pro gun crowd is a fucking joke. Period.

Parenting. Video games. TV. The internet. Bullying. Mental health. Lack of God. Etc. Etc. Etc. ANYTHING but the fact this country is littered with guns... and its getting worse by the minute with cowardly suburban white guys stockpiling AR and similar weapons.... tactical flashlights... tactical sunglasses... 

The fact you even had to ask those questions tells me everything I need to know
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Exhibit D

Damn.

I bet some people wish you hadn't placed all those exhibits in a row- it makes the gun stroker look sorta goofy.

Anything but the obvious. Shockingly asinine. I'll never get over the mentality that seeks to preserve gun rights and how silly it can be defending those rights. It would be comical if it wasn't so damn reckless. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Exhibit B
    So asking for your thoughts regarding a solution equals saying nothing can be done in your world?  The only person here i’ve seen saying nothing can be done is jose...sorry to call you out jose.  

It's what is inferred by your comment,  which you always go to when confronted in this issue with the facts driving the problem, we have too many fucking guns.  You throw up your hands as if its hopeless and put it on a poster to come up with solutions, as if it hasn't been discussed ad nauseam 

What would you do, besides arm teachers?

• Options
    my2hands said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

See above...

Thoughts and prayers are the only thing offered.... it's become a disgusting fucking joke at this point.... it seems the only solutions offered are arming teachers (arm everybody) or that schools have to many doors... the pro gun crowd is a fucking joke. Period.

Parenting. Video games. TV. The internet. Bullying. Mental health. Lack of God. Etc. Etc. Etc. ANYTHING but the fact this country is littered with guns... and its getting worse by the minute with cowardly suburban white guys stockpiling AR and similar weapons.... tactical flashlights... tactical sunglasses... 

So flashlights and sunglasses are to blame now?  Lol  
  • Options
    Every other country has violent video games and violet movies....every other country has the internet. 

Not every other country has our gun laws (or lack of)

• Options

Just step back and take in the stupidity of the GOP

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:

Pathetic 

See above...

So flashlights and sunglasses are to blame now?  Lol  
    Nice try,  it's evidence of the paranoid mentality of some in this country and why people are stockpiling weapons. Why the hell does a civilian need a tactical flashlight? Its openly advertised that way. 

Every shooting you come in here and do the same thing, play contrarian and challenge/ridicule people and their ideas that actually want change

Are you part of the problem or the solution? 

• Options
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Exhibit B

It's what is inferred by your comment,  which you always go to when confronted in this issue with the facts driving the problem, we have too many fucking guns.  You throw up your hands as if its hopeless and put it on a poster to come up with solutions, as if it hasn't been discussed ad nauseam 

I said I agreed with the poster if you are talking about the one I am thinking.  Why don’t you focus on the subject at hand instead of crying about other posters.  I’ve offered several suggestions throughout the forum, but it gets tiring rehashing them.  Just because people might not agree with you does not mean they are throwing in the towel.  

• Options

• Options

Every other country has violent video games and violet movies....every other country has the internet. 

Stay off the ***GREEN***...You're Blanched...

• Options
    i_lov_it said:

Stay off the ***GREEN***...You're Blanched...

I think that joke has played out

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Exhibit B

I said I agreed with the poster if you are talking about the one I am thinking.  Why don’t you focus on the subject at hand instead of crying about other posters.  I’ve offered several suggestions throughout the forum, but it gets tiring rehashing them.  Just because people might not agree with you does not mean they are throwing in the towel.  

So you haven't been openly stating gun reform wont work in this country for various reasons? The only reform I've seen you advocate for is more guns brother
This discussion has been closed.