Sleep Paralysis

megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
i just saw the sleep apnea thread and it reminded me i always meant to post this..

has anyone ever heard of this?
when im sleeping sometimes i know im dreaming ..or im like awake in my dream and i cant move..totally paralyzed..sometimes i cant breath and its honestly the scariest thing ever. i try and wake up and cant.
ive actually taught myself how to get out of it by not resisting then jolting my self awake..sounds insane but its what i do

no one that i know has ever had this experience..i think im goin crazy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I get it occassionally. Nothing fun about it....it's down right scary.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Yup its fucking horrible, i havent had it aaages but i used to get it every so often.

I'd try and sit up but i couldn't, also try to open my eyes and i cant. One of the worst things i've experienced.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I was on some pain medication for a couple of weeks that did this to me. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. The last time it happened I felt like it went on for hours. I have no clue how long it really was but I never took the medication again. I decided Advil was just gonna have to do.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Ive had it happen several times and it is terrifying. However, in my case I think that I am awake and someone is in the room or coming up the stairs after me. One time I could have sworn there was a figure in the door looking at me. And I couldn't move or scream or anything. Then all of a sudden I can move, but I am still scared because it seemed to happen when I was awake. In other words I don't feel like I had been asleep. It has been a while since one, and I hope I never have such an episode again.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Ive had it happen several times and it is terrifying. However, in my case I think that I am awake and someone is in the room or coming up the stairs after me. One time I could have sworn there was a figure in the door looking at me. And I couldn't move or scream or anything. Then all of a sudden I can move, but I am still scared because it seemed to happen when I was awake. In other words I don't feel like I had been asleep. It has been a while since one, and I hope I never have such an episode again.

I've had the "person in the room" AND the "person coming up the stairs" situation. Ugh.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    i just saw the sleep apnea thread and it reminded me i always meant to post this..

has anyone ever heard of this?
    when im sleeping sometimes i know im dreaming ..or im like awake in my dream and i cant move..totally paralyzed..sometimes i cant breath and its honestly the scariest thing ever. i try and wake up and cant.
    ive actually taught myself how to get out of it by not resisting then jolting my self awake..sounds insane but its what i do

no one that i know has ever had this experience..i think im goin crazy

I had this after surgery YEARS ago while on hydro-codone....Changed my meds the next day!! Didnt like that feeling at all!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    sucks it exists but im relieved im not the only one..

i should have looked this up years ago..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
  • Haven't you guys ever heard of the OLD HAG ? You should look this one up . It will trip you out :shock: :shock:

This use to happen to me a lot to and no doubt it scares the shit out of me when it does happen and I have to say it's been a while,but now since we brought this up Im probably doomed tonight :twisted:
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Yes, I've experienced this one time. It was very scary. I thought that I was dead :o
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
    I never knew that sleep paralysis was also called "Old Hag Syndrome." But of course I never knew there was a name for it until a couple of years ago.

I went through a similar experience when I woke up from out-patient surgery as they were wheeling me out of the Operating Room. I could hear the orderlies talking and I knew that I was being moved down a hallway and into the elevator. I was terrified (for whatever reason) and couldn't say a word or move a muscle. I am just thankful that it didn't happen during surgery like it does to some people. Anyway, it was so terrifying that I swore I would never go under anesthesia again. Of course, now I am thinking that may not be a good vow.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    I never knew that sleep paralysis was also called "Old Hag Syndrome." But of course I never knew there was a name for it until a couple of years ago.

I went through a similar experience when I woke up from out-patient surgery as they were wheeling me out of the Operating Room. I could hear the orderlies talking and I knew that I was being moved down a hallway and into the elevator. I was terrified (for whatever reason) and couldn't say a word or move a muscle. I am just thankful that it didn't happen during surgery like it does to some people. Anyway, it was so terrifying that I swore I would never go under anesthesia again. Of course, now I am thinking that may not be a good vow.
    reading that freaked me out...its too awful of a feeling..i cant imagine it during surgery

reading that freaked me out...its too awful of a feeling..i cant imagine it during surgery

Many years ago it happened to my Mom during gall bladder surgery. She said it was painful, but not unbearably so - more like very uncomfortable and of course, terrifying. When she told the doctor about it he seemed upset. I guess he was afraid she was going to sue him. She didn't. Anyway, she was scared after that but then she got cancer and went through so many subsequent surgeries she got over her fear. I haven't!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    that hasn't happened to me, but i think it's safe to say that it would scare the hell out of me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484

Many years ago it happened to my Mom during gall bladder surgery. She said it was painful, but not unbearably so - more like very uncomfortable and of course, terrifying. When she told the doctor about it he seemed upset. I guess he was afraid she was going to sue him. She didn't. Anyway, she was scared after that but then she got cancer and went through so many subsequent surgeries she got over her fear. I haven't!

Larry King did an episode a while back talking about this. I saw it about a week before I had surgery and it scared the hell out of me. But, every experience I have had with anesthesia has been very nice. Those few seconds before you fall asleep are heavan!
  • iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    this happened to me a few times a couple years ago when i was living alone...i woke up nearly in tears!!

i was dreaming and then everything went black and i couldn't hear anything...i was convinced that my heart had stopped beating...but then i "talked" myself out of it. sounds weird but it was the scariest thing ever!! i guess in reality i was falling back asleep.
  • Yep, I've had it several times. Not lately, though, thank goodness.

I hate when it feels like someone else is in the room or house. It is so freakin' scary.
    I carried a watermelon
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I have had it happen quite a few times ... has gotten less as I've gotten older (most times were during my teens but a handful since then) ... I know when I heard about sleep paralysis a few years ago it helped as now I know what is happening and can kind of tell myself I know it will pass and not freak out so much during it.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    I've experienced this a couple of times in the last 5 years..... all I can say is it's the worst feeling ever....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,829
    bump (luckily i searched this)

I had this happen to me last night and twice before that.

First time was about 4-5 years ago. I pretty just remembered seeing a black shadow above me and not being able to move or talk for about a minute.

Second time was probably the weirdest and it happened 2-3 years ago. Had my cats for a few months, closed my bedroom door cause they were always coming in and waking me up and it was getting annoying. Now I leave it open though. Anywho I was dreaming I was sharing a place with someone, but they only had access to the kitchen and for some reason they could see me and what I was doing and I could see their place and what they were doing. Now I'm remembering stuff before that but only bits and pieces and nothing that would help. Well anyway this guy went to the kitchen ans was watching me watch tv. I had some groceries on the floor and asked him if he wanted me to move them. I had them on the floor because I was only staying at this place for a few more days. almost positive after that I was awake, but I couldn't really move or open my eyes all the way. i was sleeping on an angle towards my fan when I see a woman. Least I think it is because the only part I saw was a dress. Something from the 50's or 60's. It was pink with black trim. I tried to open my eyes all the way but they wouldn't open. Also tried to say something but just gasps came out. Although not sure who would have heard me. Then I started to shiver and I could move and talk. Just weird.

After that one I mentioned it to some people and they told me about sleep paralysis. I thought I had heard of it before but forgot the name.

And the third time happened last night. Had a weird/eerie dream involving ghosts or something. Woke up and thought that there was something holding my blankets and sheets down so I couldn't move. I tried calling one of my cats, Kali, but just gasps of air came out and couldn't move.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    It's not a great feeling..So it's important to keep a still mind in order to help with waking up from sleep paralysis. Stillness also helps with lucid dreaming (being awake in your dream)

Also a good entry into different potential/realities,
    ----

First time was about 4-5 years ago. I pretty just remembered seeing a black shadow above me and not being able to move or talk for about a minute.

Second time was probably the weirdest and it happened 2-3 years ago. Had my cats for a few months, closed my bedroom door cause they were always coming in and waking me up and it was getting annoying. Now I leave it open though. Anywho I was dreaming I was sharing a place with someone, but they only had access to the kitchen and for some reason they could see me and what I was doing and I could see their place and what they were doing. Now I'm remembering stuff before that but only bits and pieces and nothing that would help. Well anyway this guy went to the kitchen ans was watching me watch tv. I had some groceries on the floor and asked him if he wanted me to move them. I had them on the floor because I was only staying at this place for a few more days. almost positive after that I was awake, but I couldn't really move or open my eyes all the way. i was sleeping on an angle towards my fan when I see a woman. Least I think it is because the only part I saw was a dress. Something from the 50's or 60's. It was pink with black trim. I tried to open my eyes all the way but they wouldn't open. Also tried to say something but just gasps came out. Although not sure who would have heard me. Then I started to shiver and I could move and talk. Just weird.

After that one I mentioned it to some people and they told me about sleep paralysis. I thought I had heard of it before but forgot the name.

And the third time happened last night. Had a weird/eerie dream involving ghosts or something. Woke up and thought that there was something holding my blankets and sheets down so I couldn't move. I tried calling one of my cats, Kali, but just gasps of air came out and couldn't move.

Were you sleeping on on your back?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    I've had it quite a good amount of times. It's crazy. PM me if you wanna know anything....

And I love this painting from Henry Fuseli that sums it up perfectly, 'The Nightmare'...

Henry-Fuseli-The-Nightmare-15931.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yeah I get this, I can't get out of my bed on cold winter mornings.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,829
    MrAbraham wrote:

the first and third time i was. Second time i was on my side, why?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • moemoemoemoe Posts: 72
    I've experienced this on a reasonably regular basis since I was about 12 years old. Used to happen a lot more in my teen years, maybe once every month or so. Still happens on occassion now.

For me, it starts with a vague awareness that it is happening. I sort of feel myself get heavier, as though I am sinking through the bed. Then I get this buzzing sensation through my body, kind of like the tingle of pins and needles without the numbness. This buzzing intensifies until it's practically unbearable. Over the years, during different episodes, I have tried ignoring it, fighting it, letting myself try and go with it......... most of the time I feel the panic rising though and it gets too much and I try and fight it, wrestle myself awake. I remember one night, years ago.......... I managed to lift myself up, and was thrashing from one side of the bed to the other, trying to slam it out of me. This wasnt physically happening of course, but I was completely awake. Every time it's happened, I am awake, and aware of everything in the room, the sounds, shadows, shapes that I am familiar with. On some occassions I have felt someone in the room with me, mostly not.

There was one episode that I wish I could have again though. I had fallen asleep on the couch and started feeling it, and decided.... no bugger it, I am gonna ride this out and see where I go. The buzzing got so intense I felt I HAD to get out of myself......... and wrestled myself free of my body, with a lot of effort. Once I was "out", my movements were fluid and easy. I was able to look back at my sleeping self as I moved away....... very strange feeling indeed. I started heading towards the front door, through it, and down our driveway towards the forest I lived across the road from at the time. I got about half way down the driveway and had this vague thought in my head " what if I cant get back?".......... immediately I thought that, I was right back in my body, in an instant. I've never been able to achieve this since, but I wish I could.

For the most part, its a damn scary thing to feel, at times I cant breathe and that is the worst. Luckily, it doesnt seem to happen very often these days, perhaps a couple of times a year. In the past, especially as a teen and in my early 20's, I'd only have to think about it during the day, and it would happen that night. So, basically I try not to think about it. As someone else said though, I am probably doomed tonight........ :P
  • sandgropersandgroper Posts: 172
    Yes i get it on ocassions but it hasn't happened recently, and don't worry you're not going crazy. When i get it i'm usually on my back, sometimes on my side and it's during the waking up (hypnopompic) stage of sleep. When it happens i try not to panic because i know my body is becoming aware whilst it's still in REM mode.
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i used to get this a lot a couple years back, hasn't happened in awhile thank god

i put it down to stress.. and it would only happen when i slept on my back (which i rarely do)

so scary, when i finally 'came to' i was all sweaty and clammy, heart racing :( such a horrific experience :(
    wah
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I've had it a few times. Seems like I am awake, but my body is sleeping and I can't move a thing. I remember it happening when I was napping on the sofa and trying to wake my body thinking that if I could only make one movement it would snap me out of it. The wife and kids were also in the room, I could hear them. I tried to make a sound, tried to yell, anything so that one of them would at least come over and touch me, thinking that would wake me, but I could not get the sound out.

Was very scary, sense of panic. But once I understood what it was it didn't bother me too much. Normally I think I would just fall back to sleep and wake normally later.

Luckily it hasn't happened for a long time.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I've had this, most recently a couple of years ago.

I wonder... the people who have experienced this, do they also have particularly vivid dreams? I do, and they're not infrequently nightmares.

Last night I dreamed I was driving my car and the brakes stopped working. I couldn't depress the pedal. It felt so real, even to the amount of pressure I was trying to put on the pedal. I tried the emergency brake, tried shifting into neutral, nothing worked. I was driving down a busy road in the next town. I was thinking, "I wonder if the dogs are in the back seat, if they are, I'm glad they have their seat belt harnesses on."

The last sleep paralysis dream happened when I was home, napping on the living room couch. Dreamed that two figures all dressed in black had come into the house and were roaming around from room to room, and I couldn't move or speak. They knew I was there. I woke up in a cold sweat, with my heart racing, on the couch. It took a few seconds to realize that it was just a dream and there were no intruders in the house.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    MrAbraham wrote:

the first and third time i was. Second time i was on my side, why?

It tends to happen most/often when people are sleeping on their backs, the best position to sleep? Right side of the body. It's the best position for health of the body and mind.

So when you rest at night, try to keep your body angled to the right as much as you can.