Options

For any fans of indian/eastern classical music.

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited May 2008 in Other Music
of which I am sure there a few on this board but it would be cool if just one person appreciated this :) I sincerely doubt that this is breaking any copywrite laws and therefore rules on the board. This is a compilation of recordings by Allauddin Khan, the man who taught Ravi Shankar to play sitar and was a legendary court musician to the Maiharan Maharaja. By all accounts he was an interesting man. He lived to 110 and once threw a tuning hammer at the Maharaja himself.

It's quite a lot of music here, over 3 hours but it's all beautiful. The sound is a little rough but for fans of indian music I wouldn't miss out on it. Some very rare and worthwhile stuff.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4336934-d01

Come to think of it, there's a shit load of stuff in that divshare folder worth getting.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    of which I am sure there a few on this board but it would be cool if just one person appreciated this :) I sincerely doubt that this is breaking any copywrite laws and therefore rules on the board. This is a compilation of recordings by Allauddin Khan, the man who taught Ravi Shankar to play sitar and was a legendary court musician to the Maiharan Maharaja. By all accounts he was an interesting man. He lived to 110 and once threw a tuning hammer at the Maharaja himself.

It's quite a lot of music here, over 3 hours but it's all beautiful. The sound is a little rough but for fans of indian music I wouldn't miss out on it. Some very rare and worthwhile stuff.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4336934-d01

Come to think of it, there's a shit load of stuff in that divshare folder worth getting.
    I'll take a look at it once I get home...
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Fantastic stuff. I'm downloading it now. It might inspire me to get a bit better at sitar.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Fantastic stuff. I'm downloading it now. It might inspire me to get a bit better at sitar.
    :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I grabbed this last night. I only have one Ravi Shankar release.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    A pop-up prevented me from initially opening the download, said it may not be secure, I(beered-self)went ahead regardless, now every time I boot this contraption I get the 'You may have a counterfeit windows yada yada...'.....

Many links to world music, I recommend the Hector Zazou on the page that'll open. The Argentinian Cumbia on p7 I like too.

http://www.sarajevo-x.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40308

Thanks for the Allaudinn Khan recordings now that I've heard a tad.
  • Options
    BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    Among the many things I have George Harrison to thank for, one thing I'm most grateful for is his use of his popularity to introduce Indian classical music to the western world back in the mid-60's. Once I saw and heard Ravi Shankar, I was transfixed by this beautiful music, with its unusual time patterns and huge range of notes. In the Concert for George DVD, this is my favorite moment: Anoushka Shankar is conducting the Indian orchestra in an original composition written for George by her father, Ravi, and near the end of a beautifully rendered piece, Eric Clapton accompanies on acoustic guitar. Pay attention at around 1:37; Clapton's playing has moved Anoushka to tears (as it does me!).
    Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1gHFH8Ly4U