Options

Good bye Pearl Jam community

caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
Hello everyone!
Most of you don't know me. Since I've joined the fan club, I've been mostly a lurker in this forum. I made this post to say goodbye to all of you because I've decided I won't be renewing my membership. Not because of money issues, or disappointment with the band... But because I can't, in good conscience, contribute to anything that will pay taxes to the Trump administration.
This is a first step, I know it won't be easy at all ( how the hell am I going to live without Netflix!?), probably impossible, but I'll try my best.
This means, amongst many other things, no more buying Pearl Jam stuff and, sadly, when they come back to Mexico for gigs, I won't be attending... At least for the next 4 years.
Although the band hasn't publicly condemned Trump yet, I'm pretty confident they don't agree with him. Of course I still love them and I'll still play my old CDs and vinyls, but I won't pay for any new stuff that will help finance a racist, misogynistic and xenophobic administration. An administration that seems to have a personal vendetta, and a desire to humiliate the country where me and my family live. And I want to assure you: I have NOTHING against Americans in general, and I hope your lives and businesses prosper for the next few years.

Anyway, I know most of you won't care since you don't even know me (and a couple others, that won't be named, will be glad there's one less Mexican here), but this is a post for the few that will. It's not OK how Trump is treating his southern neighbor. Build a 100 meters tall wall if you want. It's your country. But that obsession with having to humiliate a poorer, less powerful country is , well, frightening to everyone down here.

So, cheers! I've had a blast reading through countless threads all this time. And I'll hopefully read you again in 4 years!
Mexico City - July 17th 2003
Mexico City - July 18th 2003
Mexico City - July 19th 2003
Monterrey - December 7th 2005
Mexico City - December 9th 2005
Mexico City - December 10th 2005
Mexico City - November 24th 2011

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    I hope you take solace in that fact that many Americans do not support this wall and do not support our current President and many of his ideals. I hope PJ comes to your neck of the woods and you get to enjoy them from home.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    This is sad to read. Don't let Trump get your mood down.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Well I thought I've read it all..good luck to you.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Good luck, caifan82. Hope to see you back here at some point. And take comfort in knowing that most Americans didn't vote for Trump, and most Americans disagree with his policies, so many of us are feeling as despondent as you are. See you back here in 4 years!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    jeffbr said:

Good luck, caifan82. Hope to see you back here at some point. And take comfort in knowing that most Americans didn't vote for Trump, and most Americans disagree with his policies, so many of us are feeling as despondent as you are. See you back here in 4 years!

well said!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    Caifan82, hello and goodbye. I'm sorry we didn't get to know you better. I, too, spend more time lurking than posting. I applaud you for taking a stand. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you at a PJ show sometime in the future.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2017
    Too bad you're leaving - I totally get why. It never occurred to me that those boycotting American products would have to give up the music too. :frowning:
    Do you know how strong the movement to boycott all things American is in Mexico? Strong enough to actually have a noticeable economic impact on America? If so, that's probably a good thing. It might actually teach Trump and supporters how harmful his rabid isolationism and poor foreign relations tactics are.
    Canada is pretty worried too for a few reasons, but Mexico is in a whole different pot of disturbing as far as Trump's bullshit goes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    jeffbr said:

+1

Be well and take care!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Good for you. Good luck. The majority of us feel the same way
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Kudos for giving up a few passions to protest trump. Hope to see you back soon.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I repeat everything here! Nice to meet you, take care.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Take care OP.
    PS: Are you going to live in a cave now?
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited January 2017
    I am sorry you are leaving, but I am happy that you are standing up for yourself and your country. I watched a report on BBC about a young teacher who taught in Chicago and then moved to Mexico City. He was having a hard time knowing what to say to reassure his students. Know that the current government administration is not representative of the majority of our citizens. I look forward to the day when you can rejoin us.
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

Take care OP.

Just had to add the PS, didn't you?

Good luck, OP.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539

Take care OP.

Another intelligent, thoughtful, and mature response from you.
    No wonder you're a fan of the current U.S. president.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Annafalk said:

I agree, one CAN NOT let the election of one man Trump get you down to this point. The US WILL survive this and "believe me" there's a reason this has happened in this country's life.

Just today my client's grandson a twin was selected for a prestigious President's Scholar's award out of 3 million students. He has accepted to attend Brown University along with his twin but says if he wins he will refuse to go to the White House to meet the President. I talked to him and told him GO.....It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Accept the award and shake his hand however it's the hand that you may not see that you have to watch out for. He laughed and I think he got my point.....He can't hurt YOU, even though he may hurt the country try to not let him EVER spoil your dreams.

Be back in four he won't last past that being President is a 24/7 job, something he's not used to.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Take care OP.

Just had to add the PS, didn't you?

Good luck, OP.
    That dude is truly a troll, get over it they're some folks who don't like the President period.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    g under p said:

Annafalk said:

I agree, one CAN NOT let the election of one man Trump get you down to this point. The US WILL survive this and "believe me" there's a reason this has happened in this country's life.

Just today my client's grandson a twin was selected for a prestigious President's Scholar's award out of 3 million students. He has accepted to attend Brown University along with his twin but says if he wins he will refuse to go to the White House to meet the President. I talked to him and told him GO.....It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Accept the award and shake his hand however it's the hand that you may not see that you have to watch out for. He laughed and I think he got my point.....He can't hurt YOU, even though he may hurt the country try to not let him EVER spoil your dreams.

Be back in four he won't last past that being President is a 24/7 job, something he's not used to.

Peace
    Massive respect to this kid if he refuses to go and shake Trump's hand. To me, that's a better story to tell years from now then actually going. Who knows, perhaps he will be impeached by the time of the trip anyway.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Just ask 10C if you can deduct your $1 contribution.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    All the best to the OP! See you in four years.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    Good luck, do as you wish and don't listen to any smartass..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated! Cheers everyone!

@PJ_Soul it's not that mainstream yet. This so called "movement" is just getting started on (ironically) social networks. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it catches on. And hopefully it doesn't degrade into an radical antiamerican sentiment...
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    mfc2006 said:

jeffbr said:

+1

Be well and take care!
    +2
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Another weird departing thread to encompass things.
    So an all-time lurker suddenly posts they are leaving because they don't want to contribute to anything tax related that will fund President Trump?
    The living in cave comment stands.
    The dramatic exits of the forum are truly astounding.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Another weird departing thread to encompass things.
    So an all-time lurker suddenly posts they are leaving because they don't want to contribute to anything tax related that will fund President Trump?
    The living in cave comment stands.
    The dramatic exits of the forum are truly astounding.

Don't blame those that have left having to read your nonsense.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1
    please leave

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

PJfanwillneverleave1
    please leave

Seconded
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i will not buy TC products besides my renewal. this year it will be digital.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    I admire your stance on the current US administration and your refusal to contribute to it in any way that you are in control of. Lurker or not you will be missed and with luck we will all see you back in 4(less if we are really, really lucky) years.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231

PJfanwillneverleave1
    please leave

Seconded
    +100
    It's a hopeless situation...