Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    Don't forget to save on the digital downloads with ..

• Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    edited January 2017
    Buyer's beware, this reviewer claims the digital tracks suffer from lack of mastering and major compression:
    dobyblue said:

posted on 11/29/2016
    1 Stars
    Reviewer: dobyblue
    Unfortunately with Sony chances are remastering details are going to be hard to find when they reissue high resolution versions of catalogue titles and this one is no exception, in fact I don't even think it mentioned that it's been remastered but it clearly has...the dynamics have been stripped from this release and it has been heavily compressed in the mastering stage. There are no credits here, so I have no idea who is responsible for it, but sadly this "High Resolution" release is beaten in every regard by the initial CD release.
    There is no sonic information above 48kHz here so if you do love the sound of dynamically challenged recordings then pick up the 24/96 version.

The tracks most affected are the Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam tracks. The Chloe Dancer track is even more compressed than the new Mother Love Bone 24/96 collection and that was already "over-loudnessed". Hendrix and Cornell tracks not as bad.

Bad Sony, bad, bad bad. One star.

Post edited by Jed on
  • Options
    Jed said:

Buyer's beware, this reviewer claims the digital tracks suffer from lack of mastering and major compression:

dobyblue said:

posted on 11/29/2016
    1 Stars
    Unfortunately with Sony chances are remastering details are going to be hard to find when they reissue high resolution versions of catalogue titles and this one is no exception, in fact I don't even think it mentioned that it's been remastered but it clearly has...the dynamics have been stripped from this release and it has been heavily compressed in the mastering stage. There are no credits here, so I have no idea who is responsible for it, but sadly this "High Resolution" release is beaten in every regard by the initial CD release.
    There is no sonic information above 48kHz here so if you do love the sound of dynamically challenged recordings then pick up the 24/96 version.

The tracks most affected are the Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam tracks. The Chloe Dancer track is even more compressed than the new Mother Love Bone 24/96 collection and that was already "over-loudnessed". Hendrix and Cornell tracks not as bad.

And this was posted / made available for download back on Nov 29th? Damn am I slacking. :/
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    demetrios said:

Jed said:

dobyblue said:

posted on 11/29/2016
    1 Stars

And this was posted / made available for download back on Nov 29th? Damn am I slacking. :/
    And yet, still faster than the rest of us
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    for what it's worth, i trust dobyblue - he posts other places and is pretty knowledgable on his audio/video quality stuff.
  • Options

Singles (Deluxe Version) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]

Available in Audiophile 44.1kHz/24bit
    http://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/449064/

• Options
    Was hoping for a better kHz on the reissue, especially on the bonus material.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    demetrios said:
    I'm not blown away by the vinyl either.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MedozK said:
    demetrios said:
    I'm not blown away by the vinyl either.
    Haven't spinned the vinyl yet. Listening now to the 1.54GB 24Bit Flac. It's not bad.
    Post edited by demetrios on