Options

A New Day For Interracial Couples?........The Loving's Movie

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/fashion/weddings/for-interracial-couples-growing-acceptance-with-some-exceptions.html

Giving a break from the political scene is this article from TNNYT. Which speaks of Interracial relationships and marriages which make up 12% of all new marriages......the intolerances that follows Couples that try to make a life of loving each other in our current race sensitive times. I myself have been involved in a few Interracial relationships and I've faced those intolerances over the years.

There's a new movie out called Loving which chronicles the Supreme Court ruling of Loving vs Virginia in 1967 that truck down laws banning Interracial unions. The hell they went through back then that many of us today may not know about....which many just take for granted. Has anyone gotten chance to see it?...... I've read about it, I just hope to see it this week.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Haven't seen this (would like to though). A good number of my family are inter-racial (and inter-religious) couples. Why anyone would be actively opposed to anyone peacefully loving each other is beyond me.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I remember Showtime made a movie about the same story in the mid 90s that starred Lela Rochon and Timothy Hutton.

Wouldn't surprise me if this sweeps the Oscars for political reasons. Have yet to see it though.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    hedonist said:

Haven't seen this (would like to though). A good number of my family are inter-racial (and inter-religious) couples. Why anyone would be actively opposed to anyone peacefully loving each other is beyond me.

I've never understood this either. Race, religion, gender and sexual orientation shouldn't be the focus or foundation of any relationship. And people who are bothered by who other people choose to love should really examine their priorities and motivations.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    hedonist said:

A lot of people in the world, and on here, can't see beyond their fear, hate, and ignorance.

Eventually there will be no white people, or brown people, or yellow people, etc
    Everyone will be tan.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

hedonist said:

A lot of people in the world, and on here, can't see beyond their fear, hate, and ignorance.

Eventually there will be no white people, or brown people, or yellow people, etc
    Everyone will be tan.
    Baahahaha here's another liberal advocating for the end of the white race lol
    :dizzy:

There are some folks around here that actually believe that!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Yeah even some tv commercials are about interracial couples ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I can recall sometime in the early 90's I think it was the year the Toronto Blue Jays beat Philly. I visited Toronto for two weeks, I traveled the city on my own everywhere.......however it wasn't till I took the subway I noticed so many many Interracial Couples. Couples of all races loving and enjoying each other's company. No one seemed offended or uncomfortable viewing these relationships.....it was an awesome site for me. I mean I was really starting to love the city but after experiencing the life of the city's people it became my #2 city just behind London that November.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    You could probably draw a nice line from the people opposing interracial couples in the 60s and 70s to the people who fear losing our whiteness today as those couples now have kids and grandkids. Also timely as about 80% of the people who are afraid of whites being a minority in the near future also voted for trump. It's like the same thing, just expressed differently in order to be less disturbing somehow. Like when the fox broadcaster reports on the year when whites will be a minority, and then finishes the report saying, on air, that white people need to start having more babies.
  • Options

You could probably draw a nice line from the people opposing interracial couples in the 60s and 70s to the people who fear losing our whiteness today as those couples now have kids and grandkids. Also timely as about 80% of the people who are afraid of whites being a minority in the near future also voted for trump. It's like the same thing, just expressed differently in order to be less disturbing somehow. Like when the fox broadcaster reports on the year when whites will be a minority, and then finishes the report saying, on air, that white people need to start having more babies.

Oh shit, wait a minute Fox News said something like that ON THE AIR! I don't or I can't believe they would do something like that.....spread the fear. Well it worked and the country's political scene is all in their hands.....I hope they will use the power to be wisely. Unreal.

Peace

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

Everyone will be tan.
    Baahahaha here's another liberal advocating for the end of the white race lol
    :dizzy:

There are some folks around here that actually believe that!
    Yep, I am one of them, only because your party proves it with regularity.

My former black girlfriend didn't believe I was racist but you can.

BTW, she was 4th row with me at the Aug 2009 show in Chicago.
  • Options
    The classic I have a black friend (or former friend) post.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

I knew someone would go there. Nevermind discussing the topic.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I knew someone would go there. Nevermind discussing the topic.
    I was discussing the topic. You're the one who went there and got defensive after they brought up your past bizarro comment about liberals trying to destroy the white race.
  • Options
    I often ask people that I know to be racist but deny it if they would be ok with their daughter dating a black guy. Almost every single person said that they wouldn't be ok with it. It's absolutely mind boggling to me when people give the reasons why.

When the same people ask me if I'd be ok with my daughter daughter dating a black guy, I tell them I have no problem with it. They seem surprised. Maybe because I live in the south, people think you're supposed to be racist.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Bafoon has one remember he called the dude out at his rally lol
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

I often ask people that I know to be racist but deny it if they would be ok with their daughter dating a black guy. Almost every single person said that they wouldn't be ok with it. It's absolutely mind boggling to me when people give the reasons why.

When the same people ask me if I'd be ok with my daughter daughter dating a black guy, I tell them I have no problem with it. They seem surprised. Maybe because I live in the south, people think you're supposed to be racist.

Seriously? They out right admit they wouldn't be okay with it?

Now I'm really curious as to what possible justification they could give for that.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189

Now I'm really curious as to what possible justification they could give for that.
    They are racists, Often.
    or ok with black people from a distance.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

One guy (who's daughter was about 13 or so at the time) said "it wasn't anything I taught her, she just wouldn't." To which I asked "if you didn't teach her, why would she think like that?" He said "she goes to school with them." I shook my head and asked so what if she was ok with it and she brought a black guy home for dinner. He said "I'd bet he wouldn't stay long."

That's tyoical down here.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

One guy (who's daughter was about 13 or so at the time) said "it wasn't anything I taught her, she just wouldn't." To which I asked "if you didn't teach her, why would she think like that?" He said "she goes to school with them." I shook my head and asked so what if she was ok with it and she brought a black guy home for dinner. He said "I'd bet he wouldn't stay long."

That's tyoical down here.
    I don't think I'd stay long in that guy's house either.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I saw the movie LOVING last week and it was wonderful. That family went through some very intense times....I liked the line when Mr Loving says tell them, °I LOVE MY WIFE°. I had the theatre to myself at the 1:10 showing I needed though a box of tissue.

Peace