Options

British Man Maybe The First Man To Be Cured Of HIV

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

A 44-year-old man in England is possibly the first person in history to be cured of HIV. Scientists working on an experimental new therapy say that the virus is now completely undetectable in his blood.

A team gathered from five UK universities is currently conducting trials on 50 people. Mark Samuels, managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure, told The Sunday Times, “We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV. This is a huge challenge and it’s still early days but the progress has been remarkable.”

Working in two stages, the new treatment consists of a vaccine to help the body recognize any HIV-infected cells and a drug called Vorinostat activates the dormant T-cells. This method could give a patient’s immune system the tools it so desperately needs.

Fidler says that the researchers are still a long way from a finished therapy, “We will continue with medical tests for the next five years and at the moment we are not recommending stopping Art but in the future, depending on the test results we may explore this.”
http://gizmodo.com/british-man-may-be-the-first-person-cured-of-hiv-1787334810

Some GOOD news I wanted to post around here, for a change!

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I would love for this to happen. For a while, it seemed that 2 men might have been cured. They had both received bone marrow transplants for reasons other than HIV. One consequence of the treatment was that they had no detectable virus for years but the most recent information I've read is that the virus is now detectable again.

Keep working on a cure and a vaccine to prevent it! I've lost a lot of good friends to this terrible disease.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    A good friend of mine died of AIDS in the earliest days of that terrible disease and ever since I've been wishing and hoping for good news like this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm very skeptical that there'll ever be a cure, too much money in not finding cures. When's was the last major illness cured, or a vaccine developed? Polio? And Jonas Salk never patented the vaccine or profited, and when he passed away he was currently working on an HIV vaccine. The best I think the we can hope for is that at least the disease will be eventually listed as a chronic illness and that most who become infected live a normal live span...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

I'm very skeptical that there'll ever be a cure, too much money in not finding cures. When's was the last major illness cured, or a vaccine developed? Polio? And Jonas Salk never patented the vaccine or profited, and when he passed away he was currently working on an HIV vaccine. The best I think the we can hope for is that at least the disease will be eventually listed as a chronic illness and that most who become infected live a normal live span...

It's already considered a chronic disease. It's comparable to diabetes in some respects--life-threatening but people can have a normal life span if they continue to manage their condition.

There are plenty of vaccines that have been developed since polio. Measles-Mumps-Rubella (each of which I had as a child), Chicken Pox (which I also had), Shingles (which can be avoided if someone never gets Chicken Pox), Pneumonia, Hepatitis B (way more infectious than HIV), and HPV (prevents some forms of cervical cancer) are some examples. A vaccine offers the most practical way of eradicating HIV. Most of the work has been for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection but there is also some work on a vaccine that will keep people who are HIV+ from infecting others. I don't know how close they are to developing a vaccine. I'm not a biologist but I do know that HIV is a particularly nasty virus that mutates and continues to develop resistance to treatments. Prevention is still the best vaccine at the moment.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772

lukin2006 said:

It's already considered a chronic disease. It's comparable to diabetes in some respects--life-threatening but people can have a normal life span if they continue to manage their condition.

There are plenty of vaccines that have been developed since polio. Measles-Mumps-Rubella (each of which I had as a child), Chicken Pox (which I also had), Shingles (which can be avoided if someone never gets Chicken Pox), Pneumonia, Hepatitis B (way more infectious than HIV), and HPV (prevents some forms of cervical cancer) are some examples. A vaccine offers the most practical way of eradicating HIV. Most of the work has been for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection but there is also some work on a vaccine that will keep people who are HIV+ from infecting others. I don't know how close they are to developing a vaccine. I'm not a biologist but I do know that HIV is a particularly nasty virus that mutates and continues to develop resistance to treatments. Prevention is still the best vaccine at the moment.
    There is hope! :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Hasn't Magic Johnson been free for years now?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wish the lack of stigma today existed when HIV and AIDS first reared their ugly heads.

I remember working at a department store in the mid-80's with an older gentleman who, it seemed, passed so quickly after he was diagnosed.

And a friend who suffered far longer than anyone should...or even can.

After we lost him and his things were being removed from his home, the movers - upon learning how he died - dumped everything he'd owned in a pile on the lawn and left. It was almost more sickening than the disease itself.

Carlos was a sweet, funny, flaming queen and all these years later, I still miss and think of him with love :)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Apologies for straying from the topic - agreed with B...there IS hope.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Well I stand corrected about polio being the last, my opinion doesn't change...I'm not going to google search when every when every vaccine came online ... the point being that Salk made no profit off the vaccine with polio ... pretty sure the fucking pharmaceutical industry has and will continue to rack in $$$$ off disease, they have no interest in cures.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    unsung said:

Hasn't Magic Johnson been free for years now?

No. He takes medication to manage his disease but he's still HIV-infected. Being asymptomatic isn't the same thing as being cured.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Well I stand corrected about polio being the last, my opinion doesn't change...I'm not going to google search when every when every vaccine came online ... the point being that Salk made no profit off the vaccine with polio ... pretty sure the fucking pharmaceutical industry has and will continue to rack in $$$$ off disease, they have no interest in cures.

I didn't expect you to look up every vaccine, just wanted to point out that there have been numerous vaccines since the 1950s. Young kids don't have to have the childhood diseases that I had, some of which can be fatal. Adults with weakened immune systems (cancer patients, people with HIV, the elderly) won't have to deal with shingles, a very painful condition, because they didn't have chicken pox. Health care workers don't have to be concerned about contracting Hepatitis B.

Salk should be remembered for developing the first polio vaccine but he's a mixed hero in my book. He may not have patented his polio vaccine but he clearly relished the public recognition and benefited from it professionally. Albert Sabin developed the oral polio vaccine and that's the one that's been used worldwide since around 1960. He didn't court the media attention the way Salk did, so people don't remember him even though his vaccine was more effective.

Sorry if I'm a little geeky here. I work in public health.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I thought a young girl who was born with AIDS was considered "cured" a few years back.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Nobody's been cured yet. If this British man is, he will be the first. It's still a big if.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

I didn't expect you to look up every vaccine, just wanted to point out that there have been numerous vaccines since the 1950s. Young kids don't have to have the childhood diseases that I had, some of which can be fatal. Adults with weakened immune systems (cancer patients, people with HIV, the elderly) won't have to deal with shingles, a very painful condition, because they didn't have chicken pox. Health care workers don't have to be concerned about contracting Hepatitis B.

Salk should be remembered for developing the first polio vaccine but he's a mixed hero in my book. He may not have patented his polio vaccine but he clearly relished the public recognition and benefited from it professionally. Albert Sabin developed the oral polio vaccine and that's the one that's been used worldwide since around 1960. He didn't court the media attention the way Salk did, so people don't remember him even though his vaccine was more effective.

Sorry if I'm a little geeky here. I work in public health.
    No problem, I'm just pessimistic when it comes to the pharmaceutical industry and actually finding cures, not that I don't think cures for some illness aren't possible ... fair enough about Salk. Hopefully those anti-vaxxers don't make your job in public health harder, I know my mother was not impressed with anti-vaxxers (putting it mildly), she too remembered a time before vaccines and also knew people who had polio. Keep up the good work in public health, which I'm sure can be a thankless job at times.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited October 2016
    Apparently Magic Johnson actually cured himself simply by being a superior physical being than everyone else, lol, but since docto
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

This is true about many diseases, but not all of them. I understand your cynicism about it - I think we all feel it - but I think you've taken it one step too far.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

No problem, I'm just pessimistic when it comes to the pharmaceutical industry and actually finding cures, not that I don't think cures for some illness aren't possible ... fair enough about Salk. Hopefully those anti-vaxxers don't make your job in public health harder, I know my mother was not impressed with anti-vaxxers (putting it mildly), she too remembered a time before vaccines and also knew people who had polio. Keep up the good work in public health, which I'm sure can be a thankless job at times.

I have plenty of cynicism about Big Pharma myself. When it comes to public health, there's always a new challenge to face. Eradicate one disease and another has an opportunity to move in. Locally we've had big problems with West Nile the last few years, then Ebola 2 years ago and now Zika. I really enjoy my job though. Was your mom a nurse?

The anti-vaxxers are a whole nother thread and I ain't going there, lol!
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

I have plenty of cynicism about Big Pharma myself. When it comes to public health, there's always a new challenge to face. Eradicate one disease and another has an opportunity to move in. Locally we've had big problems with West Nile the last few years, then Ebola 2 years ago and now Zika. I really enjoy my job though. Was your mom a nurse?

The anti-vaxxers are a whole nother thread and I ain't going there, lol!
    No my my mother was not a nurse, just growing up and seeing childhood friends develope some of these illness's and especpecially polio, seeing it come close to eradication was enough to convince her vaccines are a good thing...