Options

And Justice For All...

chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
...28 years old this day. I purchased the day it came out. 18 years old.

Listen to it today!

Long Live Metallica!

- Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2

Comments

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,783
    Good call!!
    Im spinning right now :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    First spun it in 2006 when I got into them. I was close to turning 8 when it came out.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    They were so pissed when Cliff died. You can't beat songs like "Eye of the Beholder", "The Frayed Ends of Sanity", and "The Shortest Straw".
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,036

...28 years old this day. I purchased the day it came out. 18 years old.

Listen to it today!

Long Live Metallica!

actually that was the day before (Aug. 25) :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

They were so pissed when Cliff died. You can't beat songs like "Eye of the Beholder", "The Frayed Ends of Sanity", and "The Shortest Straw".

Don't forget their tribute to him, To Live Is To Die.
  • Options
    jlj_swejlj_swe Posts: 175
    It would nice to listen to a version that contains bass.
    Stockholm 1992-02-07
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 1995-08-12
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Lisbon 2010-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28

https://artbyjoachim.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,501
    As much as everyone praises this album, I just could never get into it. Blackened, And Justice For All, and One are good but the rest of the album bores me.
  • Options
    jlj_swe said:

I've always wanted to hear a version with the bass parts put back in.
  • Options

As much as everyone praises this album, I just could never get into it. Blackened, And Justice For All, and One are good but the rest of the album bores me.

Probably wouldn't have been boring if they didn't take Newsted's bass out. The mid part of the album is meh to me.
  • Options

The instrumental "To live is to die" and "Dyers eve" bore you? Wow...
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,501

Yep. It's hard to explain, but I just never liked this album. I love everything else except Load and Reload.
  • Options

Yep. It's hard to explain, but I just never liked this album. I love everything else except Load and Reload.
    Please go and give Dyers Eve another listen. That song always made me feel alive.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hopefully a new AJFA boxset addresses the bass issue.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Please go and give Dyers Eve another listen. That song always made me feel alive.
    Please. For the love of all that is not holy. Dyers Eve is awesome!
  • Options

That will never happen. You could always download a version off the net with the base included.
  • Options

That will never happen. You could always download a version off the net with the base included.
    Excuse me while I rush to a torrent site.

• Options
    Just be sure to pay for the download, or else Lars will hunt you down...

and make you go to therapy.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

jlj_swe said:

I've always wanted to hear a version with the bass parts put back in.
    Now mind you I have not been into Mettallica in a looooong time, I haven't even listened to this album in ages that said....

It's a classic.....This is the album that really showed what amazing musicians Metallica was to become. Cliff died and the band fell into despair, their anger and energy was on full display on this album. The riffs came from all sides like a boxer's barrage of lefts, rights, uppercuts then body shots that leads to a knockout.

With crisp vocals singing lyrics from the depths of darkness, solos so technical which took them from MOP to a higher level on this album. Probably Lars best drumming (he's still can quite an a hole though) to date, so tight with complex structures on the level of dearest drummer Neil Peart. The hard driving songwriting a template style they should've never surrendered. Checkout the lyrics to Eye Of The Beholder one of my favorite on the album along with Sanity and the grooove of Harvester of Sorrow. It's got that raw sound due to the lack of bass sound from Jason. NO BAD songs, it's damn near perfection a step below MOP (it came out first and woke the masses to thrash metal) but a small step indeed.

Here's the album with bass added called ......And Justice For Jason. Some songs work some don't, a 33% reduction of the bass would've been better.

https://youtu.be/6kqTcLwUYj8

Like I read somewhere about the album....

1. The best song to open an album
    2. The longest song off the album and one of the best
    3. The song that Metallica should play live but don't....the intro is just killer sounds that seem to come from a jungle. Oh best lyrics
    4. Most recognized song off the album
    5. The song Lars has trouble playing live
    6. The grooooviest song off the album
    7. The song with the bad ass intro
    8. The most underrated song off the album
    9. The fastest song off the album

Finally, I've been to hundreds and hundreds of concerts and at a Mettalica show was the most amazing I've seen I saw out of all of them. It was that tour with GNR (Monsters Of Rock???) not sure anyway they blew GNR off the stage when thy finally came almost two hours late. RFK Stadium DC 55k in the evening light they eased into Harvester Of Sorrow I was 25 rows back center right. I turned and looked left looked right and it was nothing but mop heads, hair everywhere melodically in the groove of the song up and down, up and down some with a twirl. It was the most beautiful seen, I needed a neck brace after that show cause my neck hurt for the next three days. Oh but what a sweet hurt it was. :smile:

One last thing this thread got me to listen to the album again and I happened to see Mettalica in Nimes France live 2009. What a show, I could actually hear James with complete clarity. Alcohol free and a voice coach must have helped him now being 50 I guess. If you all get a chance check out the show they were in top form on that night, I mean ALL OF THEM!

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    g under p said:

jlj_swe said:

One last thing this thread got me to listen to the album again and I happened to see Mettalica in Nimes France live 2009. What a show, I could actually hear James with complete clarity. Alcohol free and a voice coach must have helped him now being 50 I guess. If you all get a chance check out the show they were in top form on that night, I mean ALL OF THEM!

Peace

Awesome. I agree with all of your points. The album is a masterpiece and it certainly did bring their brand of metal to the mainstream. Their prior 3 albums were also amazing. And hell yeah they've improved. It took awhile, but James did finally straighten out and they sound great live. Long live this band. I know I'll see them when they tour next year...
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

g under p said:

jlj_swe said:

Peace

Awesome. I agree with all of your points. The album is a masterpiece and it certainly did bring their brand of metal to the mainstream. Their prior 3 albums were also amazing. And hell yeah they've improved. It took awhile, but James did finally straighten out and they sound great live. Long live this band. I know I'll see them when they tour next year...
    A lot of major bands tend to skip South Florida unless it's winter (I kid). Anyway, I hope they come to town it's been ages since I last saw them. They're the second band I traveled outside of the state I was living to see them, I've seen them at least 12 times.

So here's the complete show I was talking about from Nimes, France 2009. Before today I had never heard or knew of this show....I just wanted to find Harvester Of Sorrow live videos and this show popped up.....

https://youtu.be/nmAI6V6MrQE

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    This is a great album. Ride the Lightning has always been my favourite Metallica album, closely followed by Masters, but this comes in 3rd.

I am one of those fans who's not into much after that. I did like the Black album and saw that tour, although when they finally toured Australia it was at the end of their 2 years on tour, so it felt a little like going through the motions (Kyuss supported and were EPIC). I have their other albums, but apart from a few songs, they are just okay for me. Don't like the new song much at all either - has a very tinny drum sound to me.
    I always check out their new stuff in the hope that it grabs me, so I'll just keep hoping and keep listening to Ride, Master, Of Justice and Kill em All !!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014