Options

No Code and Yield High Resolution Downloads Already available!

CC55781CC55781 Posts: 25
edited August 2016 in The Porch
Hi Guys - I just noticed the No Code and Yield high resolution versions are already available for purchase & download. Here's a link to some info about the releases, including technical analysis.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/pearl-jam-no-code-and-yield-available-high-resolution-29591/
Post edited by CC55781 on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    @MedozK - these worth it?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Nope, OG vinyl rips done the right way would smoke these new downloads.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    Wow, this doesn't bode well for the sound of the reissue vinyl.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632

Thanks for the link. I looked for a similar thread for a few pages but didn't see it.

Why do you say it doesn't bode well? Did you listen already? I plan on doing a comparison tonight on my main system and see if I can hear a difference.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

True... but ripping vinyl is a talent and skill in my opinion. You need good equipment and I find most of it somewhat lacking.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks for the link. I looked for a similar thread for a few pages but didn't see it.

Why do you say it doesn't bode well? Did you listen already? I plan on doing a comparison tonight on my main system and see if I can hear a difference.
    Post back and let us know - would love to hear your thoughts.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

I definitely will... I set the two sources to run at the same time and flip back and forth. I do it with every vinyl I purchase too.
  • Options
    This is gonna suck! If the 192 kHz Flac files are bad, not looking forward to the vinyl reissue.
  • Options
    Guess what... Acoustic Sounds (where mine are from) pulled them. My guess is they released them too early.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

I definitely will... I set the two sources to run at the same time and flip back and forth. I do it with every vinyl I purchase too.
    Awesome! Thanks, M!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    MedozK said:

word
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Guess what... Acoustic Sounds (where mine are from) pulled them. My guess is they released them too early.

They did? WOW!! Well it is early. The reissue vinyl doesn't get released the first week of September. I was able to get a hold of these 2 digital downloads. The ID tag listen the audio being done by Pono Music World. I remember Pono releasing a 24Bit 44kHz many weeks back then pulled them off the site.
  • Options
    demetrios said:

mrussel1 said:

They did? WOW!! Well it is early. The reissue vinyl doesn't get released the first week of September. I was able to get a hold of these 2 digital downloads. The ID tag listen the audio being done by Pono Music World. I remember Pono releasing a 24Bit 44kHz many weeks back then pulled them off the site.
    It's definitely a pono release. I have no reason to think these will not be better than the original cds. I find that CD's from the 90's are often clipped pretty good at the outer frequencies. If they really went back to the master tapes and re-cut this for the vinyl and this, they should be great and an awesome compliment to your shiny new vinyl. I have high expectations for my listening session this evening.
  • Options
    I have both those records on a tape that looks JUST LIKE THIS.
    that 1s fine. #tdkbitches #dolby

• Options
    Tiki said:

If only I could get that in either metal or chrome tape.... sigh...
  • Options
    JMHO "normal" tape can be surprisingly good, if you've got a decent machine and it's not recorded too hot
    I believe in Dolby although many people don't. "C" is great and "S"...? "S" killls.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Tiki said:

Dude, you need to upgrade that shit to a Maxell XL II S. Back in my tape trading days I used to buy those by the case.

• Options
    I listened to No Code last night. For context, here was the equipment:
    JR Media ->stream to Yamaha RX-A1030 -> Outlaw Audio 5000 amp -> B&W 683 S2 towers

I played the original No Code CD as a streaming FLAC (my own Cd rip) to my Squeezebox touch DAC, and then through the same route. This allowed me to easily A/B the audio.

There is no material difference between the two. I think there's a little bit of a 'lift' due to the 24 bit compared to 16, but my guess is that this is not the remix version. There is nothing on the website from Acoustic Sounds that says it is a new mix or remaster.

I'm going to listen again tonight and to Yield, but so far there's nothing that wowed me. It definitely wasn't like busting out a 180 gram fresh analog pressing for the first time.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Nah, I didn't want to shell out 25 bucks for bloated digital files that are more compressed than the OG CD versions. Those dynamic range numbers look scary.

My comment on the vinyl comes from their recent history of remastering the audio for all formats, which is a huge assumption on my part. I hope upon hope that the new vinyl sounds great, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

mrussel1 said:

Nah, I didn't want to shell out 25 bucks for bloated digital files that are more compressed than the OG CD versions. Those dynamic range numbers look scary.

My comment on the vinyl comes from their recent history of remastering the audio for all formats, which is a huge assumption on my part. I hope upon hope that the new vinyl sounds great, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Agree, these are my thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Well you're both right. There's nothing special about these 24/192's.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Probably sound amazing to the mp3 generation though!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AceCool said:

Tiki said:

Dude, you need to upgrade that shit to a Maxell XL II S. Back in my tape trading days I used to buy those by the case.

It's def not the finest grade cassette tape out there. The shell is a beast though, Great for transferring the tape out of those 80s and 90s Columbia/Epic whites when they lose their pressure pads.

I contend this is one of the greatest feelings left....
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks for putting them to the test. It's better to get a first hand account about them than just looking at the numbers.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Still dont understand paying $ for anything digital... music, movies, whatever...

Especially the prices for these hi res digital file's.... I prefer the physical product, but to each his own
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Thanks for putting them to the test. It's better to get a first hand account about them than just looking at the numbers.
    I'm not sure if you guys picked up what I said earlier, but there's nothing in the summary on the web page that said these were part of the remaster. I hope that's the case and the new vinyl will provide a much clearer distinction. We shall soon see.... I'll do the same testing of course, just for my own curiosity.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I make my own 24/96 FLACs from cassettes and LPs (and real time CD's for that matter) using Sony Sound Forge on a semi decent, semi-older sound card (M-Audio with RCA and Digital inputs and outputs) in my Windows 8.1 PC that's hooked up to my big boy stereo. My amp has an "analog direct " setting for no coloration.
    It's not that complicated, like the normal TDK's, don't record 'em too hot..
    Post edited by ikiT on