Dirty Frank is an F'd up song.

CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
First... Pearl Jam runs in my dna... I always feel the need to say that before leveling anything like a criticism... so please put down your torches and pitchforks...

So about "Dirty Frank"

I know it's meant in good fun ( or at least I've always assumed so) , and I've always taken the song as a joke, but I listened to it today for the first time in a long time, and it hit me that the subject matter, well, really isn't very funny.

I mean, Dirty Frank's last name in the song is "Dahmer"... and that alone brings the subject matter out of the purely fantastic realm and too close to reality...

The song closes with the repeated phrase "just to see the look on the face... just to see the look on the face"... as in, he murders people, chops them up, and eats them just to see the look on the face. Meanwhile, there is an approximation of a woodchipper grinding sound running in the background.

Considering that Pearl Jam also put out "Jeremy"... around this same time, part of me wonders if this song isn't meant 100% as a joke... but more of an absurd take on a preposterous reality. As in, you can either laugh or cry about certain terrible things... "Dirty Frank" chooses to laugh... "Jeremy" chooses to cry.

What do you guys think?