Options

Fall Of The Peacemakers.......

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
edited April 2016 in A Moving Train
Yesterday, April 4th.....48 years ago was the death of Martin Luther King Jr. Then 15 years later John Lennon was killed walking the streets of NYC. Where have all the peacemakers gone.....do we still have ANY peacemakers today and if we do who are they??? Could some of them be musicians?

Here's a song by Molly Hatchet which could considered a tribute to those two men and what they stood for PEACE.

http://youtu.be/5gajseHC-GQ

THE LYRICS....

A king without a sword
A land without a king
A truth without a voice
One song left to sing
One song to sing

A wise man told me there's something you should know
The way you judge a man is to look into his soul
And you'll soon see everything.

A voice from the past cried "Give peace a chance"
He paid our price now he's free at last
Imagine, we called him a dreamer!
How many times must good men die?
How many tears will the children cry?
'Til they suffer no more sadness
Stop the madness,
Oh, stop the madness.

If ashes are ashes and dust is dust
At our journey's end then return we must
To the sands of the shore
White doves in flight
Peace to all
But tell me why the peacemakers fall
Must we bury anymore?

The hush of the crowd as the horse rode by
A black lace veil hid the tears from her eyes
And we all wept in silence
How many times must good men die?
How many times will the children cry?
'Til they suffer no more sadness
Oh, stop the madness
Oh, stop all the madness.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by g under p on

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    peace has been twisted and changed, most people are more concerned with peace within their own communities or their own country while the world runs wet with blood, peace has been gained thru war for so many years that killing has become the "go to" means of achieving peace, peace in Europe(1945ish) was achieved by killing hundreds of thousands of people(little known fact: Russia lost more men than all the armed forces fighting Hitler combined) and then there's the muslim terrorist's who believe peace will only be gained after all the infidels are dead.
    on a lighter note there are those that believe that only their way of achieving peace is the right way and belittle those with other ideas which causes hate or discomfort and no peace, even the so called "peace makers" are tragically killed for their ideas and actions for peace by someone who's idea of peace is different.. so my idea of a modern day peace maker is the person that is tolerant and mindful of their words and actions, feelings and needs of others, unfortunately there are not enough of those people in the world and the ones that are are forced to defend themselves and usually in an un peaceful manor.

so I elect you.

Godfather.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited April 2016
    Malala comes to mind.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3052132/lessons-learned/five-leadership-lessons-from-malala-yousafzai

Five Leadership Lessons From Malala Yousafzai

1. TAKE A STAND
    2. FIND YOUR STORY
    3. BE YOURSELF
    4. LISTEN WELL
    5. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A peacemaker doesn't necessarily need to be widely known. I often speak of the ripple-effects of our actions, and that could apply in this context - starting small. Being the change you want to see.

And yes, Malala fucking rocks.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    +2 re Malala.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Here's my two cents- or at least my two ideas- for creating peace. They are based on the premise that most wars are fought over ideology and resources:

1. Educate rather than indoctrinate. A very precocious, lovely, smart but brain-washed 7 or 8 year old girl came up to me today and asked me if I was a Christian. I told her God, if there is one, would be too complex and vastly more intelligent than I am for me to understand so therefor god to me is a mystery and I am fine with that. She said she goes to a Christian school asks other kids her age the same question about being a Christian. I asked her, "If they say, 'no', how do you feel about that?" She said, "I feel sad." I asked her how she felt about my answer. She paused and thought long and hard about it and finally said, "I'm OK with that." Hopefully we were both a bit more educated as a result of our interaction.

2. Make peace with the planet by acknowledging and adhering to the basic laws of ecology. Those three laws are:

I. The law of diversity – that the strength of an eco-system depends upon the diversity in it
    II. The law of interdependence – that all those species are interdependent
    III. The law of finite resources – that there is a gross limit carrying capacity.

If we follow these laws and live within their parameters, there will seldom if ever be a need for resource wars. This includes population concerns which fall under III.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The song isn't only about MLK and Lennon. The last verse is about JFK. Amazing song.
    Stop the Madness. I wish we could.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Is Jimmy Carter considered a peacemaker? Muhammad Ali over the past 30 years? Or are/were they just figure heads?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2016
    Peacemaking starts when we stop putting a price tag on life...not just human life, all forms
    Start respecting ourselves and those around us