Options

How the news works

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Exactly why I stopped watching news on TV about 15 years ago. Literally. There are much better sources for news on the internet. In fact, this forum is helpful that way in that all of us post information from a wide variety of sources. Of course, some critical thinking and a skeptical eye are helpful here as with any source of information!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    If you get your news from this forum and suggest its from multiple sources, clearly you know those multiple sources are typically one sided.
    The guardian.
    Ha
    Woot
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Isn't the internet pretty much the same (bias-wise) as TV now?

Wide variety, as B mentions, is key.

I want to see all of the shit - the objective, the lack of, and the in-between.

Plus, common sense? Those who have it, use it!
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited February 2016
    Actually, it's best just to question everything and trust nothing. Especially political polls. They mean nothing.
  • Options
    And Twitter may be the greatest source of news out there. Everything coming straight from the mouths of babes.
  • Options

If you get your news from this forum and suggest its from multiple sources, clearly you know those multiple sources are typically one sided.
    The guardian.
    Ha
    Woot

You miss quote me. Ha! No surprise there! :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
  • Options
    Free said:

Yup! Big Business as usual.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Money making season in the political news world.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Think of how the billions of campaign donations go straight to news corporations. Sad.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Money making season in the political news world.

callen said:

Think of how the billions of campaign donations go straight to news corporations. Sad.

• Options
    Another really excellent inside look at how the news works is found through watching the film, "Truth". Really liked this a lot!

• Options
    I'll have to look this up, thanks. :)
  • Options
    Trump did say this morning at his own press conference that he would participate in more debates if the money went to charity, wounded warriors, etc.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Trump did say this morning at his own press conference that he would participate in more debates if the money went to charity, wounded warriors, etc.

That's an empty soundbite. The veteran's groups refuse to take money from Trump because they don't want to be a political football for Trump to use and discard.
    I believe there is a big question about what was done with the money from his previous "charity fundraiser" or whatever he called it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016
    rgambs said:

That's an empty soundbite. The veteran's groups refuse to take money from Trump because they don't want to be a political football for Trump to use and discard.
    I believe there is a big question about what was done with the money from his previous "charity fundraiser" or whatever he called it.
    Which is part of why he held another conference. To amplify his stance that he is sick of making money for people on the inside. Give it to his causes.
    What is wrong with him saying/doing this?

edit - I can't prove it but I am quite sure that all the money from the ratings is going to others not him.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Which is part of why he held another conference. To amplify his stance that he is sick of making money for people on the inside. Give it to his causes.

edit - I can't prove it but I am quite sure that all the money from the ratings is going to others not him.
    You don't get it.
    The cause never got the money, he kept it on the inside.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/28/trumps-new-pro-veterans-website-directs-all-donations-to-trumps-personal-foundation/

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

You don't get it.
    The cause never got the money, he kept it on the inside.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/28/trumps-new-pro-veterans-website-directs-all-donations-to-trumps-personal-foundation/

A charity uses all means to garner coffers.
  • Options
    http://m.democracynow.org/blog_posts/2826

WATCH: Amy Goodman Tells CNN the Media is "Manufacturing Consent" for Trump While Silencing Sanders
  • Options
    Free said:

http://m.democracynow.org/blog_posts/2826

WATCH: Amy Goodman Tells CNN the Media is "Manufacturing Consent" for Trump While Silencing Sanders

In other words CNN = Chicanery, Not News

• Options
  • Options
    Free said:
    I have to bump this because it is so right on. I hope everyone would take time to watch see and hear this. Amy Goodman is amazing!

• Options
    ^^^
    I watched it - pretty good.
    It was funny a few months ago when Trump said "I am bored of watching TV, it's all about me, even the commercials"

Trump has said from day one he will call out and use the media to get his message out and he is doing it well. He is playing the media to his tune.
    Sanders isn't, why not?
    Amy Goodman is right when she said to the effect of "He can stay in his golden apartment and will still be over the news"
    That is because Trump said that about himself first months ago.
    So the media struggling Sanders is his own doing.
    Everyone knows how to make headlines.
  • Options

^^^
    I watched it - pretty good.
    It was funny a few months ago when Trump said "I am bored of watching TV, it's all about me, even the commercials"

Trump has said from day one he will call out and use the media to get his message out and he is doing it well. He is playing the media to his tune.
    Sanders isn't, why not?
    Amy Goodman is right when she said to the effect of "He can stay in his golden apartment and will still be over the news"
    That is because Trump said that about himself first months ago.
    So the media struggling Sanders is his own doing.
    Everyone knows how to make headlines.

I think Amy spelled that out pretty well!

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    ^^^
    Not really,
    If Sanders is smashing so many records he should be getting the media to acknowledge it just like Trump is doing.
    Sorry, this whole Bernie campaign for the little guy is not working anymore for him - especially at $27 a pop.
  • Options

^^^
    Not really,
    If Sanders is smashing so many records he should be getting the media to acknowledge it just like Trump is doing.
    Sorry, this whole Bernie campaign for the little guy is not working anymore for him - especially at $27 a pop.

The media should be acknowledging the smashed records. But they aren't because... watch the video again!

• Options
    ^^^
    The video is borderline Sander propaganda. (Nothing wrong with that)
    She mixes her opinions on a very serious topic while screaming "Vote Sanders"!
  • Options
    Really? Are people really unable to follow a couple videos?
  • Options
    :facepalm:!

• Options
    Here Is How NBC News Is Catering To Trump’s Presidency

As Trump Feuds With CNN, NBC Is Elevating Voices That Are Accommodating Trump

https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/02/02/here-how-nbc-news-catering-trump-s-presidency/215216