Options

Question for poster people

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
edited January 2016 in Lost Dogs
Is there a way to get ink smudges out of a poster or to get it to blend with the rest of the ink? A barely wet sponge or paper towel, maybe? There are visible fields of gray in the black ink on a poster I want to take to the framer.

Thanks for any answers y'all might have.
I SAW PEARL JAM
Post edited by dankind on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    I wish I could help but I have no idea.

Derby Dave has a fantastic framer in Columbus. Maybe they have a few tips.

Good luck!
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    JB23237JB23237 Posts: 1,371
    Ask your framer they'll have an idea
    Alpine Valley East Troy WI 1998...United Center Chicago IL1998...All State Arena Rosemont IL 2000 (anybody have a spare poster)
    United Center Chicago IL 2003...Alpine Valley East Troy WI 2003...Toledo OH 2004...Marcus Amphitheater Milwaukee WI 2006
    United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 2 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2009
    PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 1 2011...PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 2 2011...Wrigley Field Chicago IL 2013...iWireless Center Moline IL 2014
    Bradley Center Milwaukee WI 2014...EV Auditorium Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...EV Chicago Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2011
    EV w/ PT celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre Rosemont IL 2015
  • Options
    I don't know. I had a damaged print framed a few years ago, and that framer had no clue on ways to fix it -- or at least he did not want to be responsible for possibly making it worse by trying.

But thanks. I have to go with a new framer now, so maybe they'll be more helpful.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I'm not sure there is a fix without damaging the other ink, I hope it works out man

Maybe call a screen printer/printing company?
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I would just frame it, flaws and all. That's part of the poster's story :) I would worry that tampering with the artwork will cause more damage. Ever seen Mr. Bean?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Suziemay said:

I would just frame it, flaws and all. That's part of the poster's story :) I would worry that tampering with the artwork will cause more damage. Ever seen Mr. Bean?

:lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    There's a lady from spain who might help, like she did for this 19th century Spanish Fresco, or not! "Such was the lesson learned by an elderly member of the Santuario de Misericodia church in Borja, in northeastern Spain. Her handiwork, or lack thereof, was discovered after the painter's granddaughter donated the work, "Ecce Homo," to the archive of religious paintings housed at the Centro de Estudios Borjano, also in Borja."
  • Options
    ajaxbroajaxbro Posts: 352
    Are they scuffs or actual grey ink on top of the black?
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited September 2015
    no most ink is not water soluble after it is dried. your options are basically paint over it, scrape it off, frame it out, or live with it. if you start wetting the paper it will deteriorate, possibly bubble or warp, and if you try scraping or rubbing the wet paper it will tear and booger up.
  • Options
    ajaxbro said:

Are they scuffs or actual grey ink on top of the black?

Look like scuffs.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    I'm not saying this is an actual method but I did it once for scuffs. I had some scuffs on the black ink part of the poster and I gently rubbed it with a sunglass lens cloth. It helped to blend the scuff a bit.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    edited September 2015
    I wouldn't really advise anyone to tamper with damage in case they made it worse but I will tell you what I did with this one. I guess it's up to the individual to decide. This poster came to me with scuffs all over the place and the seller practically gave it away. I was going to have to pay quite a high price for framing as the poster is very large so I had to decide whether to try and repair it, frame it or bin it. In the end I found one of my kids felt pens which matched 99% so I painstakingly touched up every dot and scuff on the dark green and used a very slightly damp cotton bud (Q-tip) to gently blend it in. The hours paid off and it was a very satisfying result in the end. I have since framed and hung it and you would never know. I have since done this to a few other damaged prints with the same results.

Post edited by veddertown on
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    Have this problem with our Kong, which I heard was pretty common with those. I don't think we are going to try to work the scuffs out at all. We'll probably just frame as-is, since, as someone mentioned above, it's a part of the poster's "story."
    Would be interested in seeing the poster you're having this issue with and knowing what you decide to do...
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'll try the microfiber cloth trick, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably just frame as is.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    NoWayNoWay St. Louis Posts: 347
    I've used a kneaded eraser in the past to very gently improve smudges. It helped improve them though they didn't completely disappear.
    St. Louis - 7/27/92, 4/22/03, 10/5/04, 5/4/10, 7/1/11 (EV), 10/3/14
    Chicago - 5/17/06, 8/21/08 (EV), 8/23/09, 7/19/13, 8/20/16
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    East Troy - 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Kansas City - 5/3/10
    Las Vegas - 6/6/03
    Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
    Moline - 10/17/14
    Oklahoma City - 11/16/13
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I improved the smudges a bit, but then I tore the damn poster walking around my kitchen with it.

Gah! It'll frame out, but I'm an asshole.

The moral of the story is ... Always listen to Suziemay.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

I improved the smudges a bit, but then I tore the damn poster walking around my kitchen with it.

Gah! It'll frame out, but I'm an asshole.

The moral of the story is ... Always listen to Suziemay.

Ahhh! Where's that facepalm emoji when you need it.

You know what though? That's now part of the poster's story. Frame it always before it suffers Whistler's Mother's fate :lol: