Options

MSNBC Will Broadcast 'Free' Concert to Help 'End Extreme Poverty' w/Pearl Jam

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
edited July 2015 in The Porch
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall/2015/07/11/msnbc-will-broadcast-free-concert-help-end-extreme-poverty-september

By Randy Hall | July 11, 2015 | 5:04 PM EDT

Question: What do Pearl Jam, Beyoncé, Ed Sheeran and Coldplay have in common besides being popular pop and rock musicians?

Answer: All four will perform during the "free" Global Citizen Festival set to be held on Saturday, Sept. 26, in New York City's Central Park -- a six-hour event that will be aired live on MSNBC and its website for the second consecutive year. The concert is expected to draw 60,000 people to the site.

Because the liberal cable channel is serving as a media partner of the event, the network will also produce a one-hour special to air on NBC on Sunday, then BBC One in the U.K. on Monday. BBC Worldwide will be the global distributor for the TV special.

According to a TVNewser post, the anchor of the network's Now with Alex Wagner series will host this year's event, along with Willie Geist -- a co-host of MSNBC's Morning Joe weekday program -- and transgender activist Janet Mock.

MSNBC president Phil Griffin said the event “aligns with our values. I love it that we’re connecting with all these people. And I think it’s important that we lead in this space.”

During an interview with Hugh Evans -- the CEO of the Global Poverty Project -- and Kweku Mandela -- the grandson of Nelson Mandela and a Global Citizen ambassador -- Frances Rivera, the co-host of the MSNBC Live weekday afternoon program, seemed almost giddy with excitement.

The segment began with a message from Beyoncé:

I'm proud to announce Chime for Change [a campaign to raise funds and awareness for girls and women around the world] will be joining Global Citizen with the goal of ending extreme poverty by 2030.

Chime for Change will be bringing hundreds of initiatives dedicated to education, health and justice for girls and women everywhere, so please visit GlobalCitizen.org and choose how you can help.

Evans then explained that the festival will be a "free-ticketed event" requiring people to participate in five "Action Journeys," the first of which calls on participants to accomplish several tasks, such as "call the State Department and tell them to commit 50 percent of the U.S foreign aid budget to the world's poorest countries."

"By making this call, we will show the U.S. administration that the world is watching and demand concrete solutions ... that will lead to the end of extreme poverty by 2030," he added.

The CEO then declared that during the project's first day of operation, more than 45,000 people jammed the State Department's phone bank as a sign of "the power of the movement at work."

"The Global Citizen Festival will channel the power of hundreds of thousands of global citizens, lending their voices to achieve policy and financial commitments that will shape" the future, Evans asserted.

After completing the tasks and notifying the organization you've done so, your name will be placed in a drawing that will give each winner two free tickets to the event, among the 48,000 to be distributed by the organization.

Mandela stated that the program is timed to coincide with the United Nations' historic and unprecedented opportunity to bring the countries and citizens of the world together to decide and embark on new paths to improve the lives of people everywhere.

The United Nations website declares: "These decisions will determine the global course of action to end poverty, promote prosperity and well-being for all, protect the environment and address climate change” during the next 15 years.

"This is the moment when world leaders will decide on how to fund the road map for ending extreme poverty and propel the next generation into a sustainable future," Evans added. "Without aggressive commitments, the new Global Goals risk being a mere wish list."

The annual event is sponsored by dozens of organizations and corporations, including YouTube, Gucci, the Huffington Post, the Save the Children Action Network, the Earth Institute of Columbia University, Concern Worldwide and the Global Partnership for Education.

Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam stated:

We hope Pearl Jam fans will sign up to become Global Citizens -- not just to earn tickets to the show -- but to be part of a movement that encourages leaders of nations with the greatest wealth to apply aid, trade and governance policies in support of nations and communities in the greatest need.

People living on less than $1.50 a day deserve the opportunity to lift themselves up out of extreme poverty.

Ryan Gall, co-founder of Global Citizen and Riot House, noted: “Our collective voice is more powerful now than it’s ever been in terms of our ability to influence change. It’s been incredible to see how a bunch of concerned global citizens can actually move the needle on these really important issues.”

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    MSNBC live stream can be viewed over @ http://www.hulkusc.com/watch-msnbc-live-streaming/
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited July 2015
    Stone made it sound as if pearl jam fans don't do enough charity as it is. Whatever.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Hope it's

Stone made it sound as if pearl jam fans don't do enough charity as it is. Whatever.

I think you are reading way to much into that.

Hope it is international streamed.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434

I'm not seeing that.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    hmm my cableco doesn't have msnbc in HD, hopefully someone in the US does and make a nice capture of the performance :)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922

I'm guessing the percentage of 10c members who became Global Citizens in order to earn free tickets this past week is probably pretty high. But I'm not sure he meant it like you read it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this.
    Can't wait to watch!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    Well they didn't air Jay-Z's performance. It was shown on NBC. It was basically muted because of the lyrics. I don't know if NBC will air the 2 hour live like it did last year. i know they have a special airing on Sunday so they might show a performance there.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Couch tour alert!

• Options
    http://www.msnbc.com/global-citizen
    igotid88 said:

Well they didn't air Jay-Z's performance. It was shown on NBC. It was basically muted because of the lyrics. I don't know if NBC will air the 2 hour live like it did last year. i know they have a special airing on Sunday so they might show a performance there.

That's weird. So MSNBC didn't show the main event. If you wanted to see it you had to turn the channel to NBC? I hope it's not like that this time around.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    demetrios said:

http://www.msnbc.com/global-citizen

igotid88 said:

That's weird. So MSNBC didn't show the main event. If you wanted to see it you had to turn the channel to NBC? I hope it's not like that this time around.
    I think both MSNBC and NBC aired JayZ. But the stream was cut off. Not saying it will happen this time.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Couch tour alert!

:rock_on:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I hope someone can dvr it for me.
    I don't have dvr :-(

Is it really only six hours? I thought it started at like noon
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Zod said:

hmm my cableco doesn't have msnbc in HD, hopefully someone in the US does and make a nice capture of the performance :)

Consider yourself lucky. MSNBC is the shittiest network on television.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Gates open at noon. Show starts around 3.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

ldent42 said:

Gates open at noon. Show starts around 3.

thanks for the clarification JimmyV!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Hope it's

It was sarcasm...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    ldent42 said:

If you have a smart phone or a tablet and either WiFi or unlimited data, I can hook you up with a username and a password to get msnbc. Shoot me a pm if you want.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Already put this on the calendar. Told the wife it will be a day of drinking and couch sitting.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    ldent42 said:

Dude, who doesn't have dvr in 2015?!?! It s like $5 extra a month lol. Trust me, it s well worth it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited July 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

Dude, who doesn't have dvr in 2015?!?! It s like $5 extra a month lol. Trust me, it s well worth it.
    DVR? I don't even have cable and still consume a crazy amount of television. Amazing what you can find, if you're willing to wait until three minutes after a show has finished airing live.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

DVR? I don't even have cable and still consume a crazy amount of television. Amazing what you can find, if you're willing to wait until three minutes after a show has finished airing live.
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

What do you mean?
    Torrents and the internet. Everything's available online, mere minutes after airing typically.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,461

I don't think supporting the Ten Club counts. Hahaha!
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

I don't think supporting the Ten Club counts. Hahaha!

Smellyman said:

Hope it's

It was sarcasm...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    Too much sarcasm without emoji backup on these boards. :angry:

=)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:

=)

Yeah, we need those or else we all just sound like a bunch of dicks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

=)

Yeah, we need those or else we all just sound like a bunch of dicks.
    Haha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

$5/month my ass. Try $15. On a bill that's already $145 cuz I have two boxes. Which reminds me, I need to take one back to time warner cuz my bill is $145/month. God help me.