Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2017

The 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals has struck down the Florida Firearms Owners' Privacy Act, a law designed to prevent doctors and other health professionals from even asking about the presence of a gun in a home with children, and counseling on gun safety. Apparently even the conservative members of the court did not believe that the case had adequately been made that the Second Amendment trumps the First.

Funny how some Republicans are very concerned about not being harassed when getting medical treatment. Unless you're a pregnant woman, of course.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/02/the_11th_circuit_strikes_down_florida_s_docs_vs_glocks_law.html

I feel it is just fine for the doctor to ask, and just fine for the patient to choose to disclose or not. As long as the patients privacy is being protected under HIPPA and the information is not being reported to any other outside entity without the patients consent.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

tbergs said:

unsung said:

All gun laws are infringements. We won't comply.

Infringement on what?
    Why bother asking a follow up to that? No answer will have any reasoning.
    It is a question that he already knows the answer to.
    I was thinking laws were part of a well regulated militia.
    Ok, I am in a militia.
    Good for you. Leave your armaments at the armory. When you're called to duty, you can go pick them up.
    That defeats the purpose. If the militia were called up all an aggressor would need to do is capture the depot ahead of time.

Maybe you misunderstand why there are militias.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. What are you going to do when you're 46?
    No ageism in my State Militia.
    Even as a grandad, you'll follow those orders from your governor.
    And you'll still be crying that Hillary lost.
    Our militia gives me that freedom to cry!
    Actually no it doesn't, nor does anyone give you freedom. You have that right by birth.

And nobody currently fights to retain or defend your freedom.
    A right to freedom by birth is philosophical jumbo jimble and word play. I'm actually not entitled to anything at birth. My freedom is based on where I happen to be and laws, rules, faith and trust in a system created by people in the place I happen to be in. What I do within that system is mostly up to me.
    So you are totally dependent on whatever government happens to be in charge? Got it.
    Saying "totally dependent" would be you trying to guide the conversation to your view. I'm saying government, combined with society, puts up the fence around the field. I get to play in the field.
    But you admittedly play on their field.

Wouldn't you prefer more input?

Do you own yourself?
    I do own myself. A big part of this is grasping reality vs perception. Finding what my choices are. Knowing what I can change and what I can't. I know what is worthy of my emotional tension, and what's not.

Giving input into a flawed human system to create change is different than feeling like I'm in a constant struggle of freedom vs control with the government.
    No, where we differ is you want to be able to control what I do, what I own, tax my earnings, etc.

I want you to run your own life, keep your money, and as long as you aren't harming others do whatever you want.
    I understand taxes are part of a free society. When I know this and understand it, I'm free from feeling victimized from my monthly withholdings.
    But somehow you think government gives you rights.
    I get the whole debate on amt thing, but you can contradict yourself while doing it. You've referenced rights given by the government many times in gun threads, specifically the 2nd amendment. That's a clear example of government giving you rights.
    Just for argument sake, are rights like freedom of speech, privacy, etc government rights or are they inalienable rights that governments should not take away?

The 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals has struck down the Florida Firearms Owners' Privacy Act, a law designed to prevent doctors and other health professionals from even asking about the presence of a gun in a home with children, and counseling on gun safety. Apparently even the conservative members of the court did not believe that the case had adequately been made that the Second Amendment trumps the First.

Funny how some Republicans are very concerned about not being harassed when getting medical treatment. Unless you're a pregnant woman, of course.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/02/the_11th_circuit_strikes_down_florida_s_docs_vs_glocks_law.html

There's lots of things you aren't even allowed to ask anymore. Cant ask about legal status, gender in some cases, sexual preference for fear of being discriminated against. Makes sense to me some gun owners would feel the same way. I for one, as a gun owner, don't care when I get asked, but I don't see how that is any different than those examples, especially in places like California where owning a gun has such a stigma with it.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,609
    Doctors can't ask about sexual orientation?
  • Options
    I wasn't referring to specifically doctors or hospitals, but there are many situations where those questions are not allowed. And how is it going to help the doctor to deliver my baby any better knowing I own a gun at home? Don't see the relevance.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:

I wasn't referring to specifically doctors or hospitals, but there are many situations where those questions are not allowed. And how is it going to help the doctor to deliver my baby any better knowing I own a gun at home? Don't see the relevance.

First, you are talking about employers not being able to ask about things like sexual orientation. That's completely different than a health care provider asking about these things, given that they directly relate to health issues. There are no other laws that I'm aware of that prevent health care providers from asking about health related issues.

And are you really trying to claim that you don't see the reason for doctors to ask about gun safety and storage when there are young children at home? We're not talking about to queries about gun ownership and storage when people are in for random things like a cardiology consult. We're talking about the issue of guns and young children. Would you not agree that pediatricians have an interest in preventing injury and disease in children? Things like toddlers finding a gun and accidentally shooting themselves or their siblings?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mace1229 said:

I agree that a doctor doesn't need to ask about guns just as a company's HR dept doesn't need to ask about sexual orientation. None of their business, really. I'm also not sure why a doctor would be the person to instruct one on proper gun storage and safe handling. Is there a semester of gun training in med school now? Weird. I wouldn't go to a gunsmith to talk about a hernia, and wouldn't go to a doctor to talk about a gun safe.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Yes, I don't see the point. First, there are far more hazards that are ignored than guns in the home, why is that focused on? The doctor doesn't do anything with that information other than check a box that I own a gun. Serves zero purpose.
    In California to own a gun I had to pass a safety test and have a safety license. By the doctor asking if I own a gun they do nothing about it, and as far as I know don't forward that information on to anyone else. So yes, what is the point of a doctor, who is going to give the same care regardless of the answer and not do anything with the information, in asking if I own a gun? Serves zero purpose.
  • Options
    Doctors ask about health issues all the time. Part of a doctor's role is to provide information and teaching around safety issues, particularly for parents.

Doctors ask about things like car seat use. Maybe people think they should leave it up to Ford or Toyota?
  • Options
    If there's a mental health issue, some useful information to a doctor might be whether or not a gun was on hand.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I'm not saying that they should never ask. I was just pointing out in all of the cases I've experienced it wasn't relevant, at least not so since they didn't do anything with the information. They ask if I own a gun while my wife is in labor. They don't ask if it is locked up, if I use it properly, or anything else that would qualify the question as to making sure it is a safe environment.
    And in liberal areas, I can see how someone who does own a gun would be uncomfortable answering that question.
    If CPS wants to know who has a gun in a home with children, my guns are already registered, so why leave it up to the doctor to find out?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    mace1229 said:

I'm not saying that they should never ask. I was just pointing out in all of the cases I've experienced it wasn't relevant, at least not so since they didn't do anything with the information. They ask if I own a gun while my wife is in labor. They don't ask if it is locked up, if I use it properly, or anything else that would qualify the question as to making sure it is a safe environment.
    And in liberal areas, I can see how someone who does own a gun would be uncomfortable answering that question.
    If CPS wants to know who has a gun in a home with children, my guns are already registered, so why leave it up to the doctor to find out?

Not to mention, anyone could just say "no" when asked. That is actually the suggestion from most gun rights groups. I'm not suggesting anyone lie to their physician, but it seems like a viable option if you are concerned why that data is being collected and where it might end up. "Just say no" lol. I have never had actually a physician ask me the question...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Aaarrgghh.

The information is not for CPS. It's not for the police. It's not to take your guns away. It's just to try to keep your kids from killing themselves or anyone else.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Aaarrgghh.

The information is not for CPS. It's not for the police. It's not to take your guns away. It's just to try to keep your kids from killing themselves or anyone else.

okay, so how is asking that question without any follow-up whatsoever going to help with that? I am really curious how my doctor asking me if I own a gun, and when I say yes just moves on to the next question on the list and asks if I smoke next is going to prevent my kid from shooting himself?

At least if I had to sign some sort of legally binding agreement that stated I have taken a safety course and lock up all guns and ammunition away from kids I could see some purpose in that. But if that is going to be done it should be done when i purchase the gun and not when my wife is in labor. And if my kid ever got a hold of one that would be used against me.
    Obviously more people would have a problem with that, but I would at least see the argument in the purpose.

But by simply just asking if you own a gun and doing nothing about it solves nothing. There is no purpose to that question if there is not going to be any follow-up, so why ask it? It is a question that makes some uncomfortable because there are some very passionate anti-gun people out there
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I for one have no problem answering and have been honest and don't think anyone is taking my guns away. My point was it is a pointless question, so why is it any deal that some are uncomfortable answering?
    it is completely irrelevant, and if they were asking other personal questions like "are you pro-life" while you were about to have a baby there'd be 10 times the pushback answering that question. Personally to me I don't see the difference in the 2, both are equally irrelevant to the situation and none of the doctor's business in knowing.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Aaarrgghh.

okay, so how is asking that question without any follow-up whatsoever going to help with that? I am really curious how my doctor asking me if I own a gun, and when I say yes just moves on to the next question on the list and asks if I smoke next is going to prevent my kid from shooting himself?

At least if I had to sign some sort of legally binding agreement that stated I have taken a safety course and lock up all guns and ammunition away from kids I could see some purpose in that. But if that is going to be done it should be done when i purchase the gun and not when my wife is in labor. And if my kid ever got a hold of one that would be used against me.
    Obviously more people would have a problem with that, but I would at least see the argument in the purpose.

But by simply just asking if you own a gun and doing nothing about it solves nothing. There is no purpose to that question if there is not going to be any follow-up, so why ask it? It is a question that makes some uncomfortable because there are some very passionate anti-gun people out there
    The point isn't just to ask the question. The point is to ask so that the doctor can then further ask about safe storage and handling procedures. If you tell them you don't have any guns then probably yes, there aren't going to be follow up questions. If you tell them you have guns then a discussion ensues.

I don't know if your example about being asked when your wife was in labour was a real situation or one you threw out. If it was real, then it was likely to cue a later discussion about safe storage when that's appropriate.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

Aaarrgghh.

Doctors receive absolutely no training about firearm safety, mechanics, or tactics in medical school or residency. They are completely unqualified by their training to advise anyone about guns.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

Aaarrgghh.

The point isn't just to ask the question. The point is to ask so that the doctor can then further ask about safe storage and handling procedures. If you tell them you don't have any guns then probably yes, there aren't going to be follow up questions. If you tell them you have guns then a discussion ensues.

I don't know if your example about being asked when your wife was in labour was a real situation or one you threw out. If it was real, then it was likely to cue a later discussion about safe storage when that's appropriate.
    That hasn't been my experience.
    "Do you own a gun?"
    yes
    "okay, do you smoke?"
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

Doctors receive absolutely no training about firearm safety, mechanics, or tactics in medical school or residency. They are completely unqualified by their training to advise anyone about guns.
    Exactly, and it is probably mostly for CYA purposes. When I was a counselor, we were trained to ask people about access to firearms, knives, razor blades, etc when assessing a suicidal or homicidal client that was in crisis to determine risk factors. But, once again, anyone can say anything and you have the option to choose what you say if you are concerned with how the information is used or where it goes. It could be a random sample for statistical purposes, which would make a little sense. Just do not divulge if you are concerned. It's not like they are hooking people up to polygraphs.
    Back to your point, though, they are not trained to teach anyone about firearm safety and that would be outside of their medical practice...which invites lawsuits.
  • Options
    This is the kind of thinking that contributes to the massive gun problem in the USA.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Doctors ask about health issues all the time. Part of a doctor's role is to provide information and teaching around safety issues, particularly for parents.

Doctors ask about things like car seat use. Maybe people think they should leave it up to Ford or Toyota?

one doc I met with, and I never went back to, told me I had to promise to him that I'd wear a bike helmet and my seat belt every time I rode/drove or he would refuse to be my doctor.

I do wear a helmet, and wear my seatbelt, but my doctor doesn't dictate my fucking life choices.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

one doc I met with, and I never went back to, told me I had to promise to him that I'd wear a bike helmet and my seat belt every time I rode/drove or he would refuse to be my doctor.

I do wear a helmet, and wear my seatbelt, but my doctor doesn't dictate my fucking life choices.
    Yeah, that's an odd and probably ineffective approach.

Would you have objected if he asked you about helmet and seatbelt use and gave you some info about head injuries and cycling?
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited February 2017
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

Doctors also aren't experts on car seats either, but experts craft nice, neat little fliers that provide valuable information for parents, and it would work the same way with gun storage safety if regressive fucks would pull their head out of their asses and drop their ridiculously blinding pro-gun bias.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

Exactly, and it is probably mostly for CYA purposes. When I was a counselor, we were trained to ask people about access to firearms, knives, razor blades, etc when assessing a suicidal or homicidal client that was in crisis to determine risk factors. But, once again, anyone can say anything and you have the option to choose what you say if you are concerned with how the information is used or where it goes. It could be a random sample for statistical purposes, which would make a little sense. Just do not divulge if you are concerned. It's not like they are hooking people up to polygraphs.
    Back to your point, though, they are not trained to teach anyone about firearm safety and that would be outside of their medical practice...which invites lawsuits.
    1. Sucks that you believe that doctors or other health professionals would only ask about health related issues to cover their asses. When you were a counselor, did you only ask about firearms, knives and razor blades to CYA, or because you cared about your clients and wanted to help them?
    2. No one is saying that they are supposed to "teach anyone about firearm safety" in any detail. It's about raising the issue and hence raising awareness. How many times do we see newspaper articles about a toddler or preschooler finding a gun and shooting their sibling, or taking a gun out of mom's purse and shooting her at the grocery store? It's about raising awareness of the capacity of kids to do this, and the fact that they will look and they will touch, even when you've told them not to. That's the nature of child development, but a lot of parents aren't aware.
    3. Promoting safety and avoiding injury is well within medical practice. Whyever would you think it isn't? And I find it interesting that generally the public screams and complains about doctors being "pillpushers" and demands that they take a broader, more preventive approach, but when they do people scream and complain that it's outside their scope of practice.
    4. Yes, doctors get training on issues related to gun safety, as they relate to health.
    5. A lawsuit could just as easily, and probably more easily, happen if the doctor didn't ask about guns in the home and a child was killed, particularly in your ridiculously litigious culture. Many, many things can lead to a lawsuit. That doesn't make it right to not do it.

• Options
    rgambs said:

EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

Doctors also aren't experts on car seats either, but experts craft nice, neat little fliers that provide valuable information for parents, and it would work the same way with gun storage safety if regressive fucks would pull their head out of their asses and drop their ridiculously blinding pro-gun bias.
    You'd trust learning how to properly put your child's car seat in you vehicle, and that they're properly buckled up in said seat from a neat little flier?

https://saferide4kids.com/blog/who-do-i-talk-to-about-car-seat-information/
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    EM194007 said:

rgambs said:

EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

You'd trust learning how to properly put your child's car seat in you vehicle, and that they're properly buckled up in said seat from a neat little flier?

https://saferide4kids.com/blog/who-do-i-talk-to-about-car-seat-information/
    Yes, like most people, I would. Despite what this link claims, standards for child safety are pretty standard, go figure, and a neat little flier sums it up pretty nicely.
    NOBODY even knows that a CPS tech exists, and the people who promote them (like this website) are the only people who believe they are necessary.
    Nice use of Google to quickly support your claim lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

1. Sucks that you believe that doctors or other health professionals would only ask about health related issues to cover their asses. When you were a counselor, did you only ask about firearms, knives and razor blades to CYA, or because you cared about your clients and wanted to help them?
    2. No one is saying that they are supposed to "teach anyone about firearm safety" in any detail. It's about raising the issue and hence raising awareness. How many times do we see newspaper articles about a toddler or preschooler finding a gun and shooting their sibling, or taking a gun out of mom's purse and shooting her at the grocery store? It's about raising awareness of the capacity of kids to do this, and the fact that they will look and they will touch, even when you've told them not to. That's the nature of child development, but a lot of parents aren't aware.
    3. Promoting safety and avoiding injury is well within medical practice. Whyever would you think it isn't? And I find it interesting that generally the public screams and complains about doctors being "pillpushers" and demands that they take a broader, more preventive approach, but when they do people scream and complain that it's outside their scope of practice.
    4. Yes, doctors get training on issues related to gun safety, as they relate to health.
    5. A lawsuit could just as easily, and probably more easily, happen if the doctor didn't ask about guns in the home and a child was killed, particularly in your ridiculously litigious culture. Many, many things can lead to a lawsuit. That doesn't make it right to not do it.

You don't rely on a Doctor. You go take a Firearm Safety Course, that is conducted by a trained person in Firearm Safety. Everyone who wants to own a gun should have to take a Firearm Safety Class, IMO.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

PJPOWER said:

EM194007 said:

Aaarrgghh.

You don't rely on a Doctor. You go take a Firearm Safety Course, that is conducted by a trained person in Firearm Safety. Everyone who wants to own a gun should have to take a Firearm Safety Class, IMO.
    Fine. I certainly wouldn't argue against that. But since this isn't currently required, and since the pro-gun folks are so resistant to any additional requirements or restrictions, let's live in the world as it is and try to educate where we can to reduce firearm related deaths.
  • Options
    This topic was brought up as an insult against those gun owners who feel uncomfortable answering that question. They feel uncomfortable because the truth is they don't do anything with that information that would reduce the risk of a shooting. Simply asking and checking a box isn't going to do anything.
    While other, larger factors are completely ignored. Why don't they ask mom if she has a live-in boyfriend? Moms with a live-in BF are 10 times as likely to have their children molested than a house with 2 parents. Why don't they ask that and check that box?
    I answer honestly because I don't care, but it easy for me to see how some don't want to answer and see it has the anti-gun pushed by their agenda.
    If I am wrong please tell how how simply just asking is going to prevent anything? I never get asked about training, safety practices or anything when I say there are guns in the home.
  • Options
    I do not have a degree in law...but this dude does
    https://www.prageru.com/courses/political-science/gun-ownership-right
This discussion has been closed.