Options

A PJ bonfire party at Albion Hills conservation grounds (near Toronto) this August.

TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
edited May 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
A fun evening or weekend of meeting new people that love Pearl Jam. Cold Beer, Live Music, BarBQ, Camp out if you like. If 50 plus clubbers like the idea I'll get the ball rolling with booking the main site(s) and we can all pull together and make it a great success of our 2014 summer.
I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.

A PJ bonfire party at Albion Hills conservation grounds (near Toronto) this August. 8 votes

Yes, I want to party under the GTA stars with my fellow Faithful.
37%
BS284214TalonTeddzarocat 3 votes
No, I'm content to hide in my parents basement until the rapture.
37%
Dead Man WalkingJoey Eakinswpg pearl 3 votes
Yes, but only if Stone Gossard is going to work the Grill.
25%
A Patton FanLianimal82 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    PROJECT "PJ BONFIRE"

I have a dream. This dream is about making the world a better place and it all starts with a party! A party to celebrate the most amazing band in the world and it has to happen under the stars atop the green rolling hills of Caledon.
    It seems fairly likely PJ won't be playing in Ontario this summer. That doesn't mean we fans can't gather and spin some black circles together. It would be a real treat to bring some of the Faithful together this summer and share some stories, meet one another and have a great time partying under the stars.
    I guess this can happen either big or small. Small, would be fine. I'll get a main site booked for the festivities, set up an audio and visual station for the music and DVDs that we will be playing during our ruckus. My guess is some live music will happen as well and lots of concert stories and all of this around a grand bonfire. Big would be great too. That would start with a lot of interested people responding to this thread with vigor about the idea. We may decide to form a small committee to scout the grounds, book sites and maybe get some swag for a grand old time. Anyway its sliced, I want to make this happen and I'm prepared to get a couple of sites booked later in August for it. I'll set up the site with a BBQ area, bring lots of fire wood and have a twelve person tent set up for those who just need a place to crash for the night that didn't book a site for themselves or that don't have any camping equipment.
    *So ill leave the idea out there with a link to Albion hills http://trca.on.ca/enjoy/locations/albion-hills.dot#sthash.oSb4BCJF.dpbs
    *The optimal time frame for this would be one of the last two weekends in August. The last one is my birthday weekend and I usually book a site for a week. So the last Saturday in August has my vote.
    *This would work really well if people get their friends and or partners together and decide to make a weekend of it and book a camping site.
    *Their is lots to do at Albion (in a "lets enjoy nature kind of way") and there is lots of golfing in the area.
    * I would like to see a big breakfast with everyone on the following Sunday at the patio's of Glen Eagle golf club.
    *My nine year old son is the reigning champion of inner tube racing on the river and is ready to take on all comers! :-c

Don't be shy. Tell me what you think.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've just reviewed the bookings at the site to date. First off, the Deer Run area would suit this purpose best. Its secluded, powered and has plenty of parking in the center of the area. Don't be put off by the sites being marked trailer. It just gives people with tents more room and you can power your devices. The weekend of the 23rd will have fewer campers than the weekend of the 30th which is the Labor day weekend (Madhouse, but good for a Ruckus).
    Sites 100 through 108 are on higher ground. Thus are better suited for tents should there be rain.

If Ten voters give a YEA by the end of the week and some idea of what date would best suit them. I'll book two main sites for the festivities.

In joyous part.
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    I looked at this place called Albion and it is a fantastic place to gather for a weekend of camping/lodging. Huge picnic areas. Lots and lots of green space. You can camp or bring a trailer or you can rent a trailer which is really cool. Full facilities. A pool beside a lake. Promotes family. A long list of activities or space for activities. Albion could definitely welcome a group of people having their own area.

TalonTedd, I think you're onto something here.

:)

http://trca.on.ca/enjoy/locations/albion-hills.dot#sthash.WBMflYu7.FlHbIZTA.dpbs
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the having a look zarocat. The more I think about this, the more I like it. Last year I was camping at Albion Hills with my boys (my wife decided to enjoy a quiet house for the weekend). There was a group of Neil Young fans doing this very thing; so seeing that inspired this idea. If uncle Neil's fans can do it then we should too. I'm not really all that concerned with the turn out. Big or small the show must go on. At this point I'm convinced on the 23rd being the weekend for two big reasons. Its not the long weekend and I don't want to make this a difficult choice for people because its the last long weekend of summer and 23 is my favorite number. Eddie's birthday is on the 23rd (December), as I recall.

So. I'm just going to go ahead and book the 23rd of August. I can't loose on this idea anyway. If there is a failure to launch then I'll just be doing what I would have been doing regardless, camping. But my guess is over the months with a bit of bump power, one or two dozen fans will show up for the party if not actually do some camping for a weekend.

Important point folks. You don't have to do any camping. I'll still put on a big bonfire and get some entertainment together for a fun night. Just let me know your interested and mark the 23rd on your calendars. The votes will give me inspiration to exceed expectations and really make it something special. Peace, love and Pearl Jam!

In joyous part

P.S. Check out my Ode to PJ in the poetry forum, page 2 or 3 titled "Can You Feel It"...leave a comment if you like. :-c
  • Options
    The stage was set but duty calls. Ill be out of town on biz for a while so the site has been cancelled. maybe next year.